/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Faith

skhalid
01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Now we all know that we have to have faith in our religions...but faith is not just about religion...because some people think that its only to do with religion..so lets prove them wrong:D

Faith can be with just about anything...from one life to ones responsibilities..
The dictionary meaning of faith is:

1) Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.

2) Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

3) Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

4) The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.

5) The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.

6) A set of principles or beliefs.

Martin Luther (one of those people we admire a lot) stated that:

Faith is not what some people think it is. Their human dream is a delusion. Because they observe that faith is not followed by good works or a better life, they fall into error, even though they speak and hear much about faith.

`Faith is not enough,'' they say, ``You must do good works, you must be pious to be saved.''They think that, when you hear the gospel, you start working creating by your own strength a thankful heart which says,
`I believe.'' That is what they think true faith is. But, because this is a human idea, a dream, the heart never learns anything from it, so it does nothing and reform doesn't come from this`faith,' either.

Faith is a living, bold trust in God's grace, so certain of God's favor that it would risk death a thousand times trusting in it.Such confidence and knowledge of God's grace makes you happy,joyful and bold in your relationship to God and all creatures.

The Holy Spirit makes this happen through faith. Because of it, you freely, willingly and joyfully do good to everyone, serve everyone, suffer all kinds of things, love and praise the God who has shown you such grace. Thus, it is just as impossible to separate faith and works as it is to separate heat and light from fire!

Therefore, watch out for your own false ideas and guard against good-for-nothing gossips, who think they're smart enoughto define faith and works, but really are the greatest of fools.Ask God to work faith in you, or you will remain forever without faith, no matter what you wish, say or can do.
But everyone is different ( the same in the eyes of God) ...can people please state their definition of faith...mine is underconstruction at the momment :exhausted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ZAYD
01-09-2007, 09:49 PM
may allah strengthen our faith

brenton
01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
thank you

lolwatever
01-10-2007, 12:07 PM
salams sis can u space out the text a bit its too clumpy2 read...

Faith (Imaan) = Belief in the heart accompanied by Affirmation by the tongue, accompanied by Actuation with the limbs.

its nto my def btw.. raed it logn ago sumwhere :hiding:

:)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
01-10-2007, 12:25 PM
:sl:

A little long... but explains it really nicely:

The second degree is eemaan (faith), which in Arabic means belief which is committed to submission. In Islamic terminology its meaning varies according to usage and it may mean one of two things:

(i) When the word is used on its own and is not accompanied by the word Islam, it refers to the religion as a whole, as in the verses where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah is the Wali (Protector or Guardian) of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into light”

[al-Baqarah 2:257]

“and put your trust in Allaah if you are believers indeed”

[al-Maa’idah 5:23]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one will enter Paradise except the believers.” Narrated by Muslim, 114.

Hence the salaf were unanimously agreed that eemaan means “affirming in the heart – which includes actions of the heart – and saying with the tongue and acting with one’s physical faculties. It increases by doing acts of obedience and decreases by committing sin.”

Hence Allaah limited the word eemaan to those who adhere to His religion in full, inwardly and outwardly, when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“The believers are only those who, when Allaah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur’aan) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone);

3. Who perform As-Salaah (Iqaamat‑as‑ Salaah) and spend out of that We have provided them.

4. It is they who are the believers in truth. For them are grades of dignity with their Lord, and forgiveness and a generous provision (Paradise)” [al-Anfaal 8:2-4]

And Allaah referred to eemaan as including all of that when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allaah, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masaakeen (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salaah (Iqaamat-as-Salaah), and gives the Zakât, and who fulfil their covenant when they make it, and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of fighting (during the battles). Such are the people of the truth and they are Al‑Muttaqoon (the pious”

[al-Baqarah 2:177]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) referred to eemaan as including all of that in the hadeeth about the delegation of ‘Abd al-Qays which is narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (53) and Saheeh Muslim (17), where he said: “I enjoin you to believe in Allaah alone. Do you know what belief (or faith) in Allaah alone is?” They said: “Allaah and His Messenger know best.” He said: “To bear witness that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, to establish regular prayer, to pay zakaah, to fast Ramadaan, and to give one-fifth of the war-booty (the khums).”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) described fasting the month of Ramadaan out of faith and in the hope of reward as being part of faith; he also said the same concerning spending the night of Laylat al-Qadar in prayer, fulfilling one's trusts, jihad, Hajj, attending funerals, etc. In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (9) and Saheeh Muslim (35) it says: “Faith has seventy-odd branches, the highest of which is saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is go god except Allaah) and the least of which is removing a harmful thing from the road.” It would take too long to mention all the verses and ahaadeeth that speak of this topic.

(ii) When the word eemaan is used in conjunction with the word Islam. In this case it is understood as referring to inward beliefs as in the hadeeth of Jibreel etc., and as in the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the funeral du’aa’: “O Allaah, whomever among us you cause to live, cause him to live in Islam, and whomever among us you cause to die, cause him to die in faith.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1-24; he said it is hasan saheeh. It was also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani, as stated in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 1/299. That is because physical actions can only be accomplished during life, but when one is dying all that is left is the words and actions of the heart.

The point is that when either word, eemaan or Islam, is used alone, there is no difference between them, rather each of them when used alone refers to the entire religion. If there is any difference between them, then the word Islam refers to outward physical actions and the word eemaan refers to inward actions of the heart. This is what is indicated by the hadeeth of Jibreel which was narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh (8) from ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab who said:

One day when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), there appeared before us a man whose clothes were exceedingly white and his hair was exceedingly black, and there were no signs of travel on him. No one among us recognized him. He came and sat down by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and rested his knees against his and placed the palms on his hands on his thighs. He said: “O Muhammad, tell me about Islam.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam is to testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, to establish regular prayer, to pay zakaah, to fast Ramadaan and to go on pilgrimage to the House if you are able to.” He said: “You have spoke the truth.” And we were amazed at his asking that and saying that he had spoken the truth. Then he said: “Tell me about eemaan (faith, belief),” He said: “It means believing in Allaah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Last Day, and believing in al-qadar (the divine will and decree), both good and bad.” He said: “You have spoken the truth.” He said: “Tell me about ihsaan.” He said: “It means worshipping Allaah as if you can see Him, and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.” He said: “Tell me about the Hour.” He said: “The one who is being asked does not know more about it than the one who is asking.” He said: “Then tell me about its signs.” He said: “The slave-girl will give birth to her mistress, and you will see the barefoot, naked, destitute herdsmen competing in constructing lofty buildings.” Then he departed and I stayed for a while. Then he said to me: “O ‘Umar, do you know who the questioner was?” I said: “Allaah and His Messenger know best.” He said: “That was Jibreel, who came to teach you your religion.”

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=49023&ln=eng

iqbal_soofi
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ash19
may allah strengthen our faith
He'll definately do. This is good for Him too.

lolwatever
01-10-2007, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iqbal_soofi
He'll definately do. This is good for Him too.
lol y is it good 4 him? he doesnt gain or benefit, we're the only ones wh benefit for ourselves. So we need to ask for it and strive to achieve it!

tc :w: :D

ps: jazaks Malaikah

iqbal_soofi
01-11-2007, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
lol y is it good 4 him? he doesnt gain or benefit,

tc :w: :D

ps: jazaks Malaikah
Maybe you're right that it's not good 4 Him if we've faith in Him, or it's not bad for Him if we don't have any faith in Him. He is bay-niaz (above that).

we're the only ones who benefit for ourselves. So we need to ask for it and strive to achieve it!
Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.

lolwatever
01-11-2007, 09:49 AM
^ i dont get ur last line..

the basis of a faith can be taken on its own merits because it adapts to human nature.

Aspects of the faith may not seem obvious why they are so because we are limited, whereas Allah's knowledge is unlimited, some things we only understood their reasons now... that's why the basis for faith is "we listen and obey" rather than "if it suits me ill listen"

take care
salams

The Ruler
01-11-2007, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
...can people please state their definition of faith...mine is underconstruction at the momment :exhausted
moment :?

format_quote Originally Posted by lolmakeup
salams bro can u space out the text a bit its too clumpy2 read...
sally's been called a bro ;D haha :p

anyways...nice one sal..who knew you had this in you :thumbs_up

iqbal_soofi
01-11-2007, 10:28 PM
^ i dont get ur last line..

the basis of a faith can be taken on its own merits because it adapts to human nature.

Aspects of the faith may not seem obvious why they are so because we are limited, whereas Allah's knowledge is unlimited, some things we only understood their reasons now... that's why the basis for faith is "we listen and obey" rather than "if it suits me ill listen"

take care
salams

There's no doubt that Allah's knowledge is unlimited but count on your own knowledge for your own success. Don't look towards Allah for each and everything as He has already given you enough abilities. Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.

skhalid
01-12-2007, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
moment :?

sally's been called a bro ;D haha :p

anyways...nice one sal..who knew you had this in you :thumbs_up

Well...let dem call me bro...I aint gonna get upset...coz I know I was born a female...and still am a female...and always gonna be a female...and never gonna change ma sx :rollseyes

lolwatever
01-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Well...let dem call me bro...I aint gonna get upset...coz I know I was born a female...and still am a female...and always gonna be a female...and never gonna change ma sx :rollseyes
hey sis i swear it was a mistake, wallahi i didn't mean it to pick on u or nething!!! your username confused me coz i saw 'khalid' so i thought u where a bro....

im soo sorry.... dw i didnt muddle u n zak up...

tc :w: :)

skhalid
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
hey sis i swear it was a mistake, wallahi i didn't mean it to pick on u or nething!!! your username confused me coz i saw 'khalid' so i thought u where a bro....

im soo sorry.... dw i didnt muddle u n zak up...

tc :w: :)
No prob...nxt time luk at de gender...it says...Muslim Sista!!!
:rollseyes

lolwatever
01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
No prob...nxt time luk at de gender...it says...Muslim Sista!!!
:rollseyes
:sl:
will do i promise sis! :phew

skhalid
01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
gd gd...such a gd boy lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.