/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Minister Revives Egypt Face-veil Debate

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-11-2007, 05:05 AM
Minister Revives Egypt Face-veil Debate

CAIRO — Egyptian Religious Endowments Minister Hamdi Zaqzouq had a religious counselor removed from a meeting with him after refusing to show her face, reviving a debate about face-cover, Al-Masri Al-Youm daily reported on Wednesday, January 10.

"I totally reject the niqab (face-cover)," Zaqzouq told the opening of a training session for religious advisors and prayer leaders after having the woman, one of the country's 50 religious counselors, removed from the room.

He insisted that covering the face is a "tradition and not a religious obligation."

Zaqzouq said no religious counselor should cover her face since it is not required by Shari`ah.

"How could she teach Muslims about the principals of their religion when she is wearing a niqab?" he asked.

Zaqzouq has publicly expressed his emphatic support for Jack Straw, the leader of Britain's House of Commons and former foreign minister, who called on Muslim women in Britain to remove their face-veil.

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress, not a religious symbol displaying one’s affiliations.

As for the face veil, the majority of Muslim scholars believe that a woman is not obliged to cover her face or hands.

They believe that it is up to every woman to decide whether to take on the face-cover or not.

Shameful

The minister's decision immediately provoked outrage from attending imams.

"How can we blame France or Britain when they ban the hijab or the niqab when in a Muslim country a minister denied woman the right to cover their faces," angry imams told Al-Masri Al-Youm.

Instead of attacking the niqab, they added, the minister should reserve his criticism to woman who wear less and revealing clothes.

The debate over face-veil is not new to Egypt.

Helwan University has recently forbade students wearing the niqab from entering classes.

Despite demonstrations, the university forcefully removed 15 students who were not allowed to enter the university unless they have signed a written statement agreeing to refrain from wearing the niqab while on campus.

Soad Saleh, a professor of Islamic law and former dean of the women's faculty of Islamic studies at Al-Azhar University, also stoked the debate by saying that she felt disgusted when she spotted a woman wearing the niqab.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

What a tart :X

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
01-11-2007, 06:56 AM
:sl:

Not AGAIN!

Can't they just focus on things that matter instead of going nuts about a piece of material!

north_malaysian
01-11-2007, 07:00 AM
maybe that minister "loves" to see women's faces...

Skillganon
01-11-2007, 07:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

Not AGAIN!

Can't they just focus on things that matter instead of going nuts about a piece of material!
You see these people carry on the rethoric of the desbelievers. Astagfirullah.
May Allah forgive me for any mistake and may Allah(s.w.t) correct their errors of what they say.

Politics.
Their is a bro from egypt who maybe can shed more light, where's he gone?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
01-11-2007, 07:09 AM
are there any muslim nation that wouldnt give problems to practicing muslims?

Dawud_uk
01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

disgusting but not suprising, i have heard many such statements from the so called ulema of egypt who are all in the secularists pocket.

may Allah swt guide them or destroy them for misguiding the youth from the deen of Allah, ameen.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

sameer
01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Umar001
01-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Am wondering if any Muslims have properly and clearly out and out rebutted all the accusations.

I think that would do alot more instead of having a statemet say 'Angry Imams sad ",..." (about france and britain'

I mean if people read the rebuttles to accusations then they'd see both sides.

Dawud_uk
01-11-2007, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Am wondering if any Muslims have properly and clearly out and out rebutted all the accusations.

I think that would do alot more instead of having a statemet say 'Angry Imams sad ",..." (about france and britain'

I mean if people read the rebuttles to accusations then they'd see both sides.
i know both sides,

one wishes to rule by the law of Allah and promote islam as the only system, the others are found at the gates of the apostate rulers forning for their attention by making worst and worst anti islamic statements to promote secular rule.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Umar001
01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
i know both sides,

one wishes to rule by the law of Allah and promote islam as the only system, the others are found at the gates of the apostate rulers forning for their attention by making worst and worst anti islamic statements to promote secular rule.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Wa Aleykum Salam Akhi, Aint seen ya in a while hope the games well :statisfie

I understand what you said, but I mean, for example, I have heard Muslims say 'Yea I dont know how a teacher can teach if the people dont see her face, surely that is not islamic'

Instead of us going 'oh why do you worry about what she wears and so and so' it would be easier to just bring example of pious people before us who taught like that, and so forth to prove at least to the Muslims that it can be done.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-11-2007, 02:15 PM
I have but one question for them. Why is it all of a sudden a problem to wear the niqab at the wake of all the events?? How come we never heard of "complaints" against the niqab. Do they really think that people are THAT dumb? We know its not required, but I give my props to those who wear it. It only shows more respect for themselves and their deen and major guts for wearing it!

hassaanejaz
01-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Its a very deep issue which will continue in the world(not just egypt).

Erundur
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
:salamext:

Dear Lord, if she wishes to wear a Niqaab then let her, but if she wants to wear a Hijab then let her, its her right to choose.

:salaam:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-11-2007, 02:33 PM
We shouldn't even be complaining. The only people who had the right to complain was during the Prophets(saw) time. Yet they didn't. They didn't have all the means for communication as we do now. I'd say thats pretty sad.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.