/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Honor Killings Plague Pakistan

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Honor Killings Plague Pakistan

KARACHI — Hooran, another victim of the cancer custom of honor killing, known locally as Karo-Kari, exudes a mix of fear and hopelessness in her broad brown eyes despite the fact that she defeated a sure death.

"I and my parents begged them, but they didn't listen to us," a pale and week Hooran, 14, told IslamOnline.net from her hospital bed at a local hospital in Pakistan's southern port city of Karachi.

"They (her cousins) looked happy and proud. We were crying, and begging for mercy, when they pointed their pistols at me," she recalled fighting back the tears.

"They fired at me and I fell down. The only thing I remember was the screams of my mother."

Hooran was abducted by her cousins, who suspected she had had illicit relations with Ghulam Ahmad, on November 24 from Malir, a suburban area near Karachi, along with her father and mother.

The cousins shot at Hooran in front of her parents, who begged for the life of their child who was soaked in her own blood.

But the real cousins had no mercy for her. They threw the "body" of Hooran in a crater and drove off with the wailing couple.

The next day, a passerby saw the 14-year-old girl lying unconscious and immediately informed the nearby police check post.

Breaking the tradition, the local police acted swiftly and rushed her to a local hospital in precarious condition with five bullets in her belly, arm and legs.

Doctors had little hopes for her survival, as she was almost dead. But miracles do happen, and she came out of the clutches of death.

Karo-Kari is a compound word literally meaning "black male" and "black female," metaphoric terms for adulterer and adulteress.

Being so labeled leads more often than not to the murder of both man and woman allegedly guilty of having an illicit affair.

This is especially true in the rural areas of the southern province of Sindh.

Hunted

Hooran hails from Larkana district of Sindh province, the hometown of former premier Benazir Bhutto.

Her father, a farmer, moved the family to Karachi a few months back after her cousins tried to kill her on the pretext of Karo-Kari.

They had already killed the alleged Karo a few months back.

To save their daughter's life, the parents immediately shifted to Karachi but the hunters did not leave her.

Hooran said she along with her parents and the relatives who provided them shelter in a car at Super Highway when all of a sudden a car cut them off the road.

Two armed men, who later appeared to be her cousins, alighted the car.

They left the family that had provided shelter to Hooran and her parents and took them away.

Hooran denies that she ever had an affair with slain Ghulam Ahmad.

"I even didn't know him. Actually, one of my cousins wanted to marry me, and he had asked my parents for that, but they refused," she recalled.

"Following my parents' refusal, my cousins blamed me for having relations with Ghulam Ahmad, whom I had never seen," Hooran insisted.

"My and my parents' lives are still in danger. I don't know how and where my parents are and whether they are or alive?"

Cancer

Hooran is one of the few victims of honor killings who managed to survive to narrate their stories.

The graveyards of Upper Sindh districts are filled with the graves of those innocents men and women who have been killed in the name of so-called honor.

"There is no mention of honor killing in the Qur'an or Hadiths," Professor Hassamuddin Mansoori, Chairman of the Shari`ah Department in the University of Karachi, told IOL.

"Honor killing, in Islamic definitions, refers specifically to extra-legal punishment by the family against the woman and is forbidden by Shari`ah," he averred.

"Islam strictly prohibits murder and killing without legal justification," said the expert.

"The so-called honor killing is based on ignorance and disregard of morals and laws."

Some 40 Pakistani religious scholars belonging to different schools of thought have recently issued a joint fatwa against honor killings.

They branded the heinous custom un-Islamic and devoid of the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

According to official statistics in 2006, as many as 1,261 women were murdered in the name of honor killings in Pakistan.

Official data presented in the country's Upper House Senate shows that more than 4,000 people were killed during last 6 years in the name of honor killings.

Of the victims almost 2,774 were women and 1.226 were men which means twice as many women lose their lives to this ugly social custom.

But unofficial statistics suggest that the number of victims is much higher because most the cases are not reported to police since close family members, including brothers, fathers and husbands might be involved.

The data shows that the highest number of honor killings were perpetrated in Punjab province followed by Sindh, the North-West Frontier Province (NWFP), and the south-western province of Baluchistan.

Government Blamed

Many blamed the government for failing to stem this social cancer.

"The government is not serious to take any concrete step to curb this menace," Iqbal Haider, Secretary General of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP), told IOL.

Haider, a former federal law minister, said that different women rights organizations had constituted a committee under his chairmanship last year, which proposed to the government declaring honor killing an "uncompromisable" crime.

"In 90 percent cases of honor killings, the culprits are close relatives (father, brother, uncle or cousin) and therefore they are easily forgiven by the family of the deceased," he noted.

"If the government is serious to curb this phenomenon, it has to repeal the clause of Wali (guardian) vis-à-vis honor killings from Pakistan Penal Code," insisted the HRC chief.

"Murder is not an offense against an individual. It is a social evil, which terrorizes the society, therefore strict legal and administrative steps must be taken to wipe out this phenomenon."

Haider said the parliament fails to draft an appropriate legislation against honor killings because of the influence of feudal lords there.

"Most of the parliamentarians consider honor killings as part of their culture and matter of their honor, which in realty is not."

Honor killings are supposed to be prosecuted under ordinary murder in Pakistan, but in practice police and prosecutors often ignore it.

Often a man must simply claim the killing was for his honor and he'll go free.

In 2004, the parliament passed a bill making honor killings punishable by a prison term of seven years while the death penalty could be inflicted in the most extreme cases.

Culture

Rakshanda Naz, Joint Director of Aurat (Women) Foundation, said the government had taken some initiatives against the ugly crime, but it was focusing on procedural amendments rather than amending the main law.

"For instance, honor killing should be treated as crime against state, but practically it is not," she said.

"Even if court refuses for settlement, then the option of out of court settlement is still there, which favors the culprits as in most of the cases close relatives are the killers."

Naz believes the phenomenon could not be controlled 100 percent as it remained part of society in different shapes during different times.

"This phenomenon varies in different provinces of Pakistan," she said.

"In NWFP, a majority of decisions regarding honor killings are taken on individual or family basis, while in Sindh and Punjab this decision is taken by jirga or Punchayat (assembly of tribal elders)," noted Naz.

"Ratio of honor killings is higher in those provinces where agriculture lands are abundant. Land is the main reason behind a majority of honor killing incidents in Sindh and Punjab."

Investigations in most honor killing cases reveal that the victims - males and females - have been killed by their relatives to confiscate their properties, settle down personal enmities and tribal feuds or implicate rivals in false cases.

Naz insists that the tribal culture and mentality remains one of the major reasons behind honor killings in Pakistan.

"Tribal leaders have set up their own courts to decide about life and death of their respective tribesmen. Unfortunately, these tribal lords are dominant in parliament too. Therefore, they don't let any adequate legislation pass against this heinous crime."

Similar practices have been known since ancient Roman times, when the Pater Familias (senior male within a household) retained the right to kill an unmarried but sexually active daughter or an adulterous wife.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

:raging: :enough!: :omg:

thats what i think of it. +o(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AHMED_GUREY
01-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Some 40 Pakistani religious scholars belonging to different schools of thought have recently issued a joint fatwa against honor killings.
^this part made me happy cause this will have a positive effect

the rest of the article was very sad :cry:

Chechnya
01-12-2007, 02:26 PM
alhumdulillah its good that scholars condemned this practice but i get the feeling these type of people dont care what the scholars think

Erundur
01-12-2007, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya
alhumdulillah its good that scholars condemned this practice but i get the feeling these type of people dont care what the scholars think
:salamext:

I totally agree, I'm not sure as to how widely enforced this amendment will take place, the system of Honor is very critical over there, a social change needs to take place in order for it to fully work.

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AvarAllahNoor
01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sabbir_1
01-12-2007, 03:42 PM
pakistan is messed up, honour killings why do they call it that.. they aint no such thing as honour in killing someone.. And this is supposed to be a muslim country too.. astaghfirrullah.. whats going on here.. why is this happening..to the muslims..

Some 40 Pakistani religious scholars belonging to different schools of thought have recently issued a joint fatwa against honor killings
Thery doesnt need to be a fatwa man, its common sense..murder is wrong what wrong wid these ppl.

Naira
01-12-2007, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
pakistan is messed up, honour killings why do they call it that.. they aint no such thing as honour in killing someone.. And this is supposed to be a muslim country too.. astaghfirrullah.. whats going on here.. why is this happening..to the muslims..

Thery doesnt need to be a gatwa man, its common sense.. what wrong wid these ppl.
All Pakistani people dont support honour killings.These are only few cases other muslim countries like saudi do have honour killings but media there dont report them. Pakistan government has a law against this crime and honour killers are being punished.

Grace Seeker
01-13-2007, 03:40 AM
I understand that there are many other places where these "honor" killings are practiced. Is that true? What are governments doing in those places? And how can it happen so readily when it is so obviously against Shari Law?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-13-2007, 03:48 AM
There is so much goin on that is against Sharia...and Islam itself. It mostly happens in places where people are unlearned or don't know enough about Islam. May Allah(swt) guide us all...Ameen.

limitless
01-13-2007, 03:51 AM

Typical messed up muslims; they are illiterate. This is why, we as muslims are branded by terrorism by the "west" 'cause of these inhuman acts and use Islam to justify it.

:w:

north_malaysian
01-13-2007, 03:56 AM
Do they know that these awful acts are not Islamic.

*charisma*
01-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Inna lillahi wa inna illahi raji'un.

Subhanallah, how ignorant these people are. What makes them think that their honor is ever justified by society's views? Verily, the only label of honor upon every servant of Allah is proclaimed by Him (subhana wa ta'ala) and He is the Best of all judges.

Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah hath (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want;- We provide sustenance for you and for them;- come not nigh to shameful deeds. Whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom.[6:151]

Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred except for just cause nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment. [25:68]

Wa Allahu ya'lem

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

snakelegs
01-13-2007, 05:01 AM
several have hit on it - education is the key. both islamic and secular.
things are done in the name of islam that are a disgrace.

FBI
01-13-2007, 10:28 AM

Such people are a waste of good breathing air, idiots I wouldn't hesistate killing such people.

KAding
01-13-2007, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
several have hit on it - education is the key. both islamic and secular.
things are done in the name of islam that are a disgrace.
Is honor killing ever done in the name of Islam though? I didn't think it was.

seeker_of_ilm
01-13-2007, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Is honor killing ever done in the name of Islam though? I didn't think it was.
I suppose its a cultural thing. However, the problem with the Indo-Pak region, is a lot of people have trouble distinguishing between what is Islamic, and what is cultural ignorance. So perhaps they feel what they're doing is in the name of Islam, due to a severe lack of education, even though Islam is 100% against it.

akulion
01-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Honor killing is a custom which is extremely old spanning 1000's of years.

It also existed in the Pre Islamic period in Arabia. It has existed in many cultures throughout time, including Europe at one time, when one tribe would go kill another tribe in the name of 'honor'

Islam abolished and condemned this monstrosity of a custom 1400 years ago.

So it is most definitely not from Islam, but it is rather a cultural / tribal problem which exists in most 'feudal systems'

Tania
01-13-2007, 11:08 AM
I think its very convenient for them. You don't have an house or land, you can go and kill your relative and voila- you have where to live.Thats it.

Naira
01-13-2007, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
I understand that there are many other places where these "honor" killings are practiced. Is that true? What are governments doing in those places? And how can it happen so readily when it is so obviously against Shari Law?
Governments do punish honor killers but only after the crime is comitted, like if someone commits a crime in his house how come Government would know before it is reported or tracked by someone and above all honor killings are being committed mostly in the down trodden and far flung areas and villages where people are mostly illiterate and they have no knowledge of correct Shariah.
So if we want to eliminate the abuses like honor killings from the society the government should introduce shariah laws according to quran and Sunnah and start programs to teach people about Quran and Sunnah

Naira
01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
In tribal areas mostly they don’t report the crime to the government agencies but follow the laws of their tribal heads generally which are constituted by those tribal heads and sometimes follow the laws of the native molvies who are under pressure of these tribal heads and doesnt give right decision according to Islamic shariah.

Skillganon
01-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Yep tackle the root causes.

Grace Seeker
01-13-2007, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naira
Governments do punish honor killers but only after the crime is comitted, like if someone commits a crime in his house how come Government would know before it is reported or tracked by someone and above all honor killings are being committed mostly in the down trodden and far flung areas and villages where people are mostly illiterate and they have no knowledge of correct Shariah.
So if we want to eliminate the abuses like honor killings from the society the government should introduce shariah laws according to quran and Sunnah and start programs to teach people about Quran and Sunnah
Beyond the Indo-Pakistan region, where else are "honor" killings taking place?

Tania
01-14-2007, 05:59 AM
Here where i live there is not such a thing. If you still wish to do it, you will get the free house for the next 25 years from the state. So its better to work to build your own house, than to kill other relatives.
My mom told me, when she was a child, and the elders respected the moral teachings and wanted to correct certain men and women faults without to send them in jail (the adultery was punished by state with jail, not a good option for everyone)- they took the couple, or just one of them, depend who was theculprit, took out from several pillows the goose feathers, over which they pour gas, diesel gas. After that undressed them, and roll over in the composition. They were so ashamed, than no one tried to cheat his wife or husband again.:-[

KAding
01-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Honor killings are quite 'popular' in Turkish culture.

seeker_of_ilm
01-14-2007, 01:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Honor killings are quite 'popular' in Turkish culture.
Although these days in Turkey, the Honour Killings, have become Honour "Suicides"

Grace Seeker
01-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Explain more please. My daughter is from Turkey. She has told me that this is against the law, but sometimes still happens in the eastern part of the country.

Are you suggesting that it is still true throughout the whole country, even though it is against the law?

akulion
01-16-2007, 12:48 AM
The root cause in this situation (with regards to Pakistan) is the existance of a feudal system. Where landlords exist and have slaves etc.

If this system was crushed once and for all we would see stuff like this vanishing insha'allah.

angel eyes
01-16-2007, 12:50 AM
honour killing well dont you think ppl jst say honour killing 2 save themselves from the punishment

Dawud_uk
01-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum,

For the non Muslims peace be upon those who follow righteous guidance,

as others have stated this is a totally un-Islamic custom that is abolished where Shariah is practiced and known amongst communities Muslim and non Muslim where Shariah isn’t present.

I say Muslim and non Muslim because in the indo-pak continent there are also many such ‘honour’ killings amongst the Sikh and Hindu community and also such problems amongst the Sikhs and Hindus in Britain also but they are not often reported as such.

So indo-pak you have this problem amongst all, yet Islam teaches that honour is only in Islam not in pre-Islamic cultural crap like so called honour killings.

Same in some parts of Arabia, where once again there is a culture of honour killings coming from before Islam, yet this problem is there I understand more prevalent amongst the Christian Arabs than amongst the Muslims but nobody would make the unjust allegation that they are doing this because they are Christian, this would be wrong and a slander against Christianity.

Once again in Eastern Turkey, the practice is known amongst all groups but most well known amongst the Alawite Sect, who the Muslims are agreed are disbelievers and amongst their disbelief is their denial of the Quran where Allah tells mankind that men and women can reach Jannah, where as the Alawites say a women doesn’t have a soul and cannot enter Jannah in her own right (similar to Christian belief until one or two centuries ago).

So we can see this is a condemned practice in Islam. Islam comes to lift up mankind from such evil practices and that where Islam is sincerely practiced such practices become very rare or almost unknown but such things are not even unknown in the UK, how often does a man kill his daughter because he doesn’t like her boyfriend?

It isn’t common but it isn’t unknown, such things were much more common and beatings and attacks against women who married outside of the white community were quite well known in the white British community until quite recently but no one cries honour killings or honour attacks but in truth this is what it is, just less formalised.

Assalaamu Alaykum,

For the non Muslims peace be upon those who follow righteous guidance,

Abu Abdullah

Snowflake
01-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Ignorant Pakistanis muslims are an embarrassment to Islam & Pakistan.

But, while mullahs are getting together and dishing out fatwas which is all good and proper, why don't they put in some effort to spread the real islam. A lot of cultural crap is based on lack of knowledge and fatwas can't terminate ignorance. Only education can.

akulion
01-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Not just the feudal system running in Pakistan but also the Kings and Queens of the Arabic world; embarrassments to the entire Muslim ummah.

What I find the most shocking is instead of passing fatwas against the Kings and Queens, the grand muftis are too busy passing fatwas on what length the beard must be.

Unfortunately instead of Khilifat, the Muslims generally have reverted to other political systems.

Monarchy
Feudalism
Communism
Capitalism
Democracy
Secularism

But we dont see any where a Khilifat.
And unless we reject all other political systems and put aside our nationalistic feelings, we will never see light of the day.

Dawud_uk
01-16-2007, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
Not just the feudal system running in Pakistan but also the Kings and Queens of the Arabic world; embarrassments to the entire Muslim ummah.

What I find the most shocking is instead of passing fatwas against the Kings and Queens, the grand muftis are too busy passing fatwas on what length the beard must be.

Unfortunately instead of Khilifat, the Muslims generally have reverted to other political systems.

Monarchy
Feudalism
Communism
Capitalism
Democracy
Secularism

But we dont see any where a Khilifat.
And unless we reject all other political systems and put aside our nationalistic feelings, we will never see light of the day.
assalaamu alaykum,

some scholars do speak about these issues you mention, but yes they also speak about the need for observing the sunnah.

at the end of the day we get the rulers we deserve, so we need to work towards a khilafat and on improving the ummah at the same time as why should Allah reward the muslims with a khilafat with the state of the ummah as it is?

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

akulion
01-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Walikum Salam

Yes but unfortunately those scholars are the ones who are put behind bars or killed or even in many cases declared 'enemy of the state'

It seems the 'muslim states' are opposed to having a Khilifat, so that speaks volumes about the governments running them!

As for why a Muslim state should exist? plainly because it will help better people and provide people with justice hopefully.

Success and failure is in Allahs hands, but at the same time we should try or at least raise our voice against injustices

FBI
01-16-2007, 07:26 PM

It seems the 'muslim states' are opposed to having a Khilifat, so that speaks volumes about the governments running them!
Maybe they realise if the islamic state returns they won't have their names on the doors of the Haramain.

As for why a Muslim state should exist? plainly because it will help better people and provide people with justice hopefully.
Another reason for this is some known scholars will actually get off their behinds and declare jihad as they use the lack of an Khalifa as an excuse for Jihad.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.