/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Final Islamist Collapse In Somalia

AntonK
01-13-2007, 05:44 PM
The final organized base of the Union of Islamic Courts fell to Ethiopian and Somali forces last night, completing the lightning rout of what had been an ascendant radical Islamist force. Ras Kamboni had been the last organized redoubt for the UIC, and now they have fled into to forests on the Kenyan border:

Somali government troops backed by Ethiopian soldiers have captured the last stronghold of the Union of Islamic Courts, the defence minister says.

Col Barre Aden Shire said the town of Ras Kamboni, in south-eastern Somalia, fell after several days of fighting. Remnants of the militia are now reported to be hiding in dense forest along Somalia's border with Kenya.

Ethiopia has led a military campaign against the Islamists, who controlled much of Somalia for six months.
For those six months, people pointed to their tightening grip on power and determined that nothing could stop the wave of radical Islam from recapturing the old ummah, stretching from Southwest Asia all the way across North Africa. The terrorists' willingness to die as martyrs made them invincible, or nearly so, and military force simply couldn't match up to the asymmetrical threat.

Ethiopia didn't believe it. They showed what happens when a nation commits to actual war against asymmetrical threats: they destroy them. Military forces go after the terrorists where they organize, and then surround them and destroy them. They don't wait for the terrorists to come to them. And when the terrorists are on the run, you don't get squeamish about stamping them out while they're exposed and vulnerable.

It's the only winning strategy against Islamist terrorism. Ethiopia knows it. and the West had better remember it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SilentObserver
01-14-2007, 07:18 PM
The warlords and the government have agreed to collaborate for the restoration of peace in Somalia
I have my doubts that peace will be had in Somalia that easy. I hope I am wrong.

Chechnya
01-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Ethiopia didn't believe it. They showed what happens when a nation commits to actual war against asymmetrical threats: they destroy them. Military forces go after the terrorists where they organize, and then surround them and destroy them. They don't wait for the terrorists to come to them. And when the terrorists are on the run, you don't get squeamish about stamping them out while they're exposed and vulnerable.

destoyed them? you got any figures or you talking rubbish? :rollseyes

withdrawal is a military tactic - they dont have planes, tanks, helicopters etc. so it makes no sense in holding fixed positions
better to start a guerilla war and wear them down - and this is what will be happening
the war hasnt finished, in fact it is just about to start

for how to fight an effective guerilla war, read about the first chechen-russian war (94-96), what the UIC are doing now follows that method.

AHMED_GUREY
01-14-2007, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntonK
G.I joe talk aside, don't say ''Ethiopia'' as if the Habashi people are backing this regime and it's foreign policy the real terrorists that are terrorizing the Amhara, Oromo,Harari,Hadiye,Gurage,Tigre Muslims/christians in Ethiopia are TPLF's henchmen who were rejected in the last election, so go ahead feel proud of supporting an illegal entity that commits human rights violations on it's own citizens i don't care that's your prerogative but don't you dare try to discredit the ICU and their governing policy when you mysteriously leave out of your conscience Meles Zenawi's trackrecord of abuse and terror during one of your chearleading sessions of the TPLF regime

It's the only winning strategy against Islamist terrorism. Ethiopia knows it. and the West had better remember it.
Somalia and Ethiopia will get rid of their dictators and warlords which are funded by the so-called free world don't you worry:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
01-15-2007, 04:44 AM
What terrorism?! What terrorist acts did the Union of Islamic Courts do?!?! Am I missing something here?!

Dawud_uk
01-15-2007, 10:14 AM
the non muslims on here are no doubt celebrating, just as the so called impartial mediator from the EU was doing in the independent a few days ago.

the important thing is that we know that islam is not defeated, it lost one battle, then another and so what? islam will come back again and again and we know we dont need to win all the battles but in the war against the enemies of islam we will eventually triumph.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

brenton
01-15-2007, 10:45 AM
The final organized base of the Union of Islamic Courts fell to Ethiopian and Somali forces last night, completing the lightning rout of what had been an ascendant radical Islamist force. Ras Kamboni had been the last organized redoubt for the UIC, and now they have fled into to forests on the Kenyan border:

For those six months, people pointed to their tightening grip on power and determined that nothing could stop the wave of radical Islam from recapturing the old ummah, stretching from Southwest Asia all the way across North Africa. The terrorists' willingness to die as martyrs made them invincible, or nearly so, and military force simply couldn't match up to the asymmetrical threat.

Why does Islamist=Terrorist in your assumptions.

I think that's where your logic is flawed. Perhaps what happened was best; perhaps not. But making the assumption that Islamist=Terrorist is not helpful. Look at the Sudan, which kicked bin Laden out of the country with an Islamist leadership.

Dawud, I am not celebrating. I'm still working it out. And I don't see this as a victory against Islam. Islam lives in the people and the international Umma, not one local warlord group tired of an inept internationally backed government.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.