/* */

PDA

View Full Version : UK Schoolgirl Sticks to Crucifix

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-14-2007, 01:46 AM
UK Schoolgirl Sticks to Crucifix

CAIRO — After being barred from school for wearing a crucifix, 13-year-old Samantha Devine said she will fight for wearing the symbol of her devotion to God whatever the consequences.

"I am proud of my religion and it is my right to wear a cross around my neck," Devine told the British Daily Mail on Saturday, January 13.

Samantha was told by her teacher on Wednesday January 10 that she must remove her crucifix and the chain for breaching health and safety rules.

"I can't understand why the school thinks a tiny crucifix on a thin silver necklace is a health and safety hazard," she said.

"Students of other religions can show their beliefs by wearing bracelets or turbans, so why can I not wear a cross to show my devotion to God?" she wondered.

Samantha has pledged to keep wearing the cross when school restarts on Monday, January 15, even if it meant being expelled.

"I am determined to keep wearing the crucifix whatever the consequences - even if I get suspended or expelled."

Paul Jackson, the school's deputy head teacher, said the school has a policy of no jewellery to be worn by any students in years seven to ten., noting that all parents and students are aware of this.

Paul Jackson, the school's deputy head teacher, defended the ban decision.

"In this particular instance, the student and parent were informed that wearing the chain was a health and safety hazard, but that we would allow a lapel badge to be worn," he told the newspaper.

The case echoes that of British Airways employee Nadia Eweida, who was suspended in October for failing to remove her necklace or hide it under clothing in accordance with company policy.

The airline buckled to a barrage of criticism from church leaders and announced a shake-up of its uniform policy to allow symbols of faith to be worn openly.

Family support
Her family has vowed to fight the decision "all the way," claiming it was a clear discrimination against their daughter.

"We are British and should be allowed to wear it in our own country," father of the girl, who served as a soldier in the Royal Irish Regiment for 11 years including tours in Kosovo and Sierra Leone, told the paper.

"I respect every religion, but my daughter is just wearing a crucifix to protect her. It makes me wonder why I protected my country when we can't even protect my religious beliefs. This has upset the entire family," he added.

Devine also vowed to sue the school if it denied his daughter the necklace he gave her as a present.

The mother also stood by her daughter.

"She has been made fully aware that she is breaking a school rule, but Danny and myself have told her to stand up for what she believes in," she said.

"If it all comes to a head, I don't want to even think about removing her from the school because she has until now, got on so well, but we will not back down.

"Samantha is proud of who she is and we will fight this all the way."

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

My props for people who have guts :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
brenton
01-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Strange.

Symbols have a lot of power.

Trumble
01-14-2007, 07:32 AM
A total non-story as far as I can see. The school has made clear that the problem is not the crucifix (they were perfectly happy with a crucifix lapel badge) but the necklace.

The no-jewelry policy across those years is common to all British schools, and for a good reason - ludicrous as it may sound kids can end up getting hurt by it during sports, playground fights, etc.

The kid should stop whining and follow the same rule everybody else does, and her parents should buy her a nice crucifix lapel badge.

Malaikah
01-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I have got to agree with Trumble on this one. ^o)

She said she wears it for protection... won't it still 'protect' here if she wears a badge or just puts a cross in her pocket?

By the way, do Christians really believe that a symbol will protect them? :?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Naheezah
01-14-2007, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
By the way, do Christians really believe that a symbol will protect them? :?
yep sis me too askin' da same Questn !!:rollseyes :?

Naheezah
01-14-2007, 07:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brenton
Symbols have a lot of power.
power??! hwz dat??:?

taheera
01-14-2007, 07:48 AM
I can understand a school having that rule.
Hopefuly she will c that its not just attacking her its a rule of the school and by the looks of it she is trying to turn it in to something alot bigger.

England
01-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Good luck and respect to that girl. A health and safety hazard? It's just another stupid excuse. The real reason is "Christianity offends other faiths" typical. I wore a chain when I was at school but I had no teacher complaining about it. I knew people that had chains on their school trousers but again no complaints, BUT a girl with a little tiny necklace has been told to take it off because of health & safety? Don't be ridiculous. We aren't fooled that easily. When Labour is voted out then we can have some hope of getting rid of political correctness.
I have a crucifix myself but I need a chain, I might wear it as a middle finger up to political correctness.

Malaikah
01-14-2007, 11:09 AM
^Different schools have different levels of strictness with these things. At my high school, teachers didn't tell us to take it of or put it anyway, the confiscated it in a flash.

They said she can wear it as a badge, I don't see the problem?

Maarya
01-14-2007, 11:09 AM
all british schools have a no-jewellery rule because of health and safety, but everyone i know ignores it! she could wear it but just take it off for PE, if the school's that fussy about it!
in my school we all wear jewellry but just hide our neclaces under our shirts.

Trumble
01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
A health and safety hazard? It's just another stupid excuse. The real reason is "Christianity offends other faiths" typical.
Nonsense. The rule was in place long before this particular 'issue' hit the papers, and was applied in my school (if not universally) thirty years ago. If they bend the rule in this instance they would have to abandon it completely and, yes.. jewelry CAN be a health and safety hazard, bizarre as that may sound. Some items are worse than others, but rather than have disputes in each case a general rule makes more sense.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
01-14-2007, 02:29 PM
ma school lets us wear religious jewelery etc under our uniform.. but it hasnt banned it :-\

if they did then let me warn them they wont be hearing da end of it!

- Qatada -
01-14-2007, 02:34 PM
:salamext:

Maasha'Allaah its kool how shes sticking to it.. the idea of the badge replacing the necklace might be controversial, but i like the way she's firm and sincere in this.

By the way, i think the christians do believe that the cross is a form of protection. Whereas we believe that Allaah can protect us, and no harm can come to us except if He wills, as a trial for us.

England
01-14-2007, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
ma school lets us wear religious jewelery etc under our uniform.. but it hasnt banned it :-\

if they did then let me warn them they wont be hearing da end of it!
Oh don't worry, it's just the crucifix. Only jewellery related to Christianity is deemed a health and safety hazard.

Maarya
01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh don't worry, it's just the crucifix. Only jewellery related to Christianity is deemed a health and safety hazard.
the UK is a Christian country so why would they say/think that? :?

England
01-14-2007, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
the UK is a Christian country so why would they say/think that? :?
Political correctness. They don't want to offend other faiths. They're trying not to offend muslims.

- Qatada -
01-14-2007, 02:46 PM
You really think their not trying to offend muslims? What's with all thats happening on the news then?

By the way, dont go offtopic.

Peace.

Maarya
01-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Political correctness. They don't want to offend other faiths. They're trying not to offend muslims.
why would we be offended? they let us wear hijaab to schools etc so why would we have a problem? i think its just stupid if thats the reason.

England
01-14-2007, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
why would we be offended? they let us wear hijaab to schools etc so why would we have a problem? i think its just stupid if thats the reason.
It is stupid. We're all fed up of this political correctness. It's the liberals that are trying to be goody-goodies. The nursery songs such as "baa baa black sheep" and saying the word "blackboard" is banned from schools because it could offend blacks. That's how insane this is....
Nobody has complained about these but they still went ahead with this political correctness *bleep*

Snowflake
01-14-2007, 03:26 PM
It is stupid. We're all fed up of this political correctness. It's the liberals that are trying to be goody-goodies. The nursery songs such as "baa baa black sheep" and saying the word "blackboard" is banned from schools because it could offend blacks. That's how insane this is....
Nobody has complained about these but they still went ahead with this political correctness *bleep*
it's rediculous.. the original version of 'baa baa black sheep' has been changed to 'happy sheep and even 'green sheep' in some schools. Who has ever seena green sheep?

Why do they assume the word black offends people of that colour? did anyone even ask them if it does? why would when the fact is there are black sheep.. and what's more is black ppl are proud of their history and culture not ashamed of it.

And neither does christianity offend people of other faith. why would it? we're living in a christian country aren't we? :? :confused:

Muezzin
01-14-2007, 03:40 PM
In this particular case, the school is allowing the schoolgirl to wear the crucifix on a lapel, so I don't think it's some sort of banning of religious symbols debate.

I heard about the nursery rhyme. If it's true rather than just a rumour, it's extremely stupid.

I don't think the word 'blackboard' is banned as such - they just don't have blackboards anymore, they tend to use whiteboards nowadays.

Snowflake
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
the word blackboard was deemed racist and banned in favour of chalkboard and the word 'manhole' is deemed as sexist .. the world's gone mad...

Abu Zakariya
01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
England

If the banning of jewelry for kids in school is in reality a conspiracy to appease Muslims, why then is it allowed for them to wear it on a badge?

Umar001
01-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I have a crucifix myself but I need a chain, I might wear it as a middle finger up to political correctness.
Yes, that would truly embody the whole meaning behind the wearing of a Crucifix.

Good on you.

In my school people were not allowed to wear rings, and the ones most popular were the chavy gold st George slaying the dragon ones, I guess that might also be seen as 'polotical correctness' lol though most people wearing them were not white lol.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
01-14-2007, 05:52 PM
i heard about the baa baa black sheep 1.. i woz like whaaaat?! ^o)

SilentObserver
01-14-2007, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
In this particular case, the school is allowing the schoolgirl to wear the crucifix on a lapel, so I don't think it's some sort of banning of religious symbols debate.

I heard about the nursery rhyme. If it's true rather than just a rumour, it's extremely stupid.

I don't think the word 'blackboard' is banned as such - they just don't have blackboards anymore, they tend to use whiteboards nowadays.
Whiteboard! I can't believe that someone would use such an offensive term! I'm shocked! Whites everywhere should be outraged!

England
01-14-2007, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Yes, that would truly embody the whole meaning behind the wearing of a Crucifix.

Good on you.

In my school people were not allowed to wear rings, and the ones most popular were the chavy gold st George slaying the dragon ones, I guess that might also be seen as 'polotical correctness' lol though most people wearing them were not white lol.

I'm not as religious as people may be here. I lean towards Christianity but I don't practice it, but if the crucifix annoys the liberals then I'll shove it in their faces as a middle finger up to them.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

My little sister said the word "blackboard" at school and she was given a stern look by her teacher. When I have children I'll teach them the correct words. I'm not bowing down to political correctness.

SilentObserver
01-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Political correctness is a disease that needs to be stamped out.

Abu Zakariya
01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
England, I guess you missed my question. I'm relly interested in hearing you response, so I'll post it again:

If the banning of jewelry for kids in school is in reality a conspiracy to appease Muslims (as you claim), why then is it allowed for them to wear it on a badge?

England
01-14-2007, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zakariya
England, I guess you missed my question. I'm relly interested in hearing you response, so I'll post it again:

If the banning of jewelry for kids in school is in reality a conspiracy to appease Muslims (as you claim), why then is it allowed for them to wear it on a badge?
I haven't read through the article but as you can see I am talking about political correctness in general. The girl should be allowed to have the crucifix around her neck. Having the crucifix close to your heart gives you more of a sense of protection.

limitless
01-15-2007, 01:53 AM
:sl:

Interesting.....I wonder if this issue will go global...CNN? anyone?

:w:

Erundur
01-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Man at least in the U.S. stuff like this doesn't happen, but we've got prayers in school to deal with.

Malaikah
01-15-2007, 02:39 AM
The girl should be allowed to have the crucifix around her neck. Having the crucifix close to your heart gives you more of a sense of protection.
Necklaces hang down the centre, the heart is to the left. If really wanted it close to her heart, she could use a badge because it would be closer. :rollseyes

north_malaysian
01-15-2007, 02:49 AM
My teachers wear necklaces with crucifix, Hindu gods, Buddha etc... and we the Muslim students are not offended... because it has nothing to do with us. And these teachers were teaching in an Islamic school.

Abu Zakariya
01-15-2007, 12:04 PM
I haven't read through the article but as you can see I am talking about political correctness in general. The girl should be allowed to have the crucifix around her neck. Having the crucifix close to your heart gives you more of a sense of protection.
You were talking specifically about this. This is what you wrote:

Only jewellery related to Christianity is deemed a health and safety hazard.

England
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Erundur
Man at least in the U.S. stuff like this doesn't happen, but we've got prayers in school to deal with.
It does happen in the US. I have heard about it. People are told that they should refer the Christmas holidays as "winter holiday" in order not to offend muslims. I've hear yanks moaning about it. We have prayers at our schools too and that should stay.

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Necklaces hang down the centre, the heart is to the left. If really wanted it close to her heart, she could use a badge because it would be closer. :rollseyes
Erm the heart is to the centre of your chest. http://www.ids-environment.com/Images/eco/img1.jpg

You were talking specifically about this. This is what you wrote:

Only jewellery related to Christianity is deemed a health and safety hazard.
Yes that's what I said and that's what I mean. They're being picky with this girl because of the crucifix. The same with British Airways banning that woman from wearing her crucifix necklace.

Abu Zakariya
01-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Yes that's what I said and that's what I mean. They're being picky with this girl because of the crucifix.
But why is it allowed to wear it on a badge, if the real issue is about the crucifix itself? It would've been forbidden to wear it, period.

Eric H
01-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Greetings and peace to you all,

I may be slightly cynical but I have this funny feeling this is some kind of a publicity stunt for the parents and child. If the crucifix is so important to her she can wear it on her lapel, why is she making such a huge issue over a chain? The chain has no religious meaning at all.

The parents must have known about the no- chain rule so why didn’t they buy her the lapel crucifix as a present instead?

I hope that this struggle will not trivialise Christianity?

In the spirit of being strangely perplexed

Eric

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
^^good point. thats what i kinda thought wen i read it.

Erundur
01-15-2007, 07:16 PM
It does happen in the US. I have heard about it. People are told that they should refer the Christmas holidays as "winter holiday" in order not to offend muslims. I've hear yanks moaning about it. We have prayers at our schools too and that should stay.
I live in a moderate/left leaning area and people still say Merry Christmas and are allowed to wear religious symbols if they wish, star of david necklace, crucifix necklace and a Hijab...even my own teachers would say merry christams.

Abu Zakariya
01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
People are told that they should refer the Christmas holidays as "winter holiday" in order not to offend muslims
Oh, come on. Like that could be the only reason (if it's true in the first place). Couldn't it be that they don't want to offend Muslims as well as Jews, Hindus etc?

Everything seems to be our fault.

Erundur
01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
We're the flavor of the Century :thumbs_up

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-15-2007, 07:28 PM
^^ hehe yea. i mean we r on top of the news. we're so popular, its too much to handle :X

England
01-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh, come on. Like that could be the only reason (if it's true in the first place). Couldn't it be that they don't want to offend Muslims as well as Jews, Hindus etc?

It's called bending over backwards to keep in muslims good books for going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Christmas threads were deleted from this forum and any pictures of anything Christian are deleted from this forum which clearly shows there are strong feelings towards Christianity from muslims. There aren't as such from other faiths.

Abu Zakariya
01-15-2007, 08:52 PM
It's called bending over backwards to keep in muslims good books for going to war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Christmas threads were deleted from this forum and any pictures of anything Christian are deleted from this forum which clearly shows there are strong feelings towards Christianity from muslims. There aren't as such from other faiths.
Just because we don't want to join in the Christimas celebration in an Islamic forum, doesn't mean that we want to prevent others from celebrating it in their societies.

Do you have any proof, by the way, for your theory or is it just speculation just like your theory about the conspiracy in the Brittish schools?

England
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Just because we don't want to join in the Christimas celebration in an Islamic forum, doesn't mean that we want to prevent others from celebrating it in their societies.

Do you have any proof, by the way, for your theory or is it just speculation just like your theory about the conspiracy in the Brittish schools?

You don't need proof. You'd be dumb to need proof to be convinced. Someone posted something about Christmas decorations being taken down from offices, it might have been me. Take a look at it if you can find it.

Aren't we steering off topic a bit? I can see this thread closing anytime soon.

Abu Zakariya
01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm not disputing the claim that such things have occured. But I'm not convinced that it's because of us. Not everything has to be our fault. Maybe they don't want to offend people of other faiths, period.

We don't have to steer off topic. Just tell me why they let the school children wear crucifixes on badges, if isn't about the jewelry but instead about the Muslims, as you've claimed?
If it was about the crucifix, they would've banned it period and wouldn't disguise it in a jewelry ban which has existed for some years now, I think even before the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.