/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need some advice

Krystalle
01-15-2007, 09:07 PM
:? I have toyed with the idea of converting for quite a while. I feel like I am being 'called' because I think about it all the time. However, I would like an opinion. Can one be a Muslim but still be western? Obviously I am western; and I love many things about my country but at the the same time I beleive that many things are not right within it. And at the same time, I don't agree with some things that Islam follows, for instance, I would not be ready to accept hijab.
And then at the risk of sounding terible, I don't mean it to be, but I am scared. In Canada we get very limited views. I beleive Islam to be beautiful. I can understand why Muslims are angry, but Muslims must also understand how instilled with fear non-Mulsims are when it comes to things like terrorism and non-nationalism. Many feel threatened that they are 'going to lose their culture' of that some Muslims come to the UK or even Canada and have plots to destroy Westernization from within. We are misguided, I admit, but also afraid. We cannot help but know only what is in the media, and even though I have done my research, and consider myself to be a liberal Muslim. I beleive things that are directly in Qu'ran, but also love my western lifestyle - not the negative stereotypes (like the sex, or the crime). But please understand.... and give me some guidance! God Bless.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Hello Krystal, welcome to LI Forum, and Enjoy your stay of course in Islam we do not agree to Injustice no matter who it is commited by be it muslim or non-muslim.

Hijab is an integral part of Islam, which one need's to find a time when one is ready for it.

Secondly their is not plot to destroy the Western Culture. Aslong as the culture does not contradict with Islam than it is Ok. Many Western revert retain their western culture without compromising their Islam.

Their are muslim from variouse culture and when you go their you will see they still have their culture.

At first get use to the forum and get to learn more about Islam and Inshallah you can speak to western convert here on the forum who can answer some of your question that worries you.

May Allah(s.w.t) guide you to the straight path and keep you away from misguidance.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Hey Krystalle and welcome to LI sis. God-Willing we will all help you with whatever you need. You can retain your culture and pride for your country, as long as it does not contradict with Islam.
Bro Skillgannon basically said it all. Looking forward to your posts and helping you out.
See you around.

Peace

Woodrow
01-17-2007, 03:26 AM
I guess if a Cowboy can accept Islam and try to live as a Muslim in Texas, there really is not that much to give up. It is possible to live any culture and be Muslim. However it is necessary to forget about the parts of the culture which are haram.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
01-17-2007, 03:40 AM
Even we born-Muslims are learning Islam slowly, and adapt many Islamic rules slowly too.... why.... we need to understand.... that's why there are muslims who called themselves liberal or moderate...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 04:20 AM
^^You should always strive to your best, InshAllah.

Samira_01
01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Welcome :)

zaria
01-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. Once you except Islam and deen, everything will fall in to place. When I reverted, I had a issue with Hijab but as I was/am deening, I want feel uncomfortable without it. MashaAllah. Just take your time ask Allah (swt) for patience, gudience and understanding and you will be alright.

Krystalle
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I know the main things that contradict Islam, but what are some things that are not accepted in Islam that are widely doen in Western society?
I know that promiscuity is one... but what are the others? lol:)
And thank you for your post. It is always nice to talk to sisters......
Cheers
Krystalle

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 08:08 PM
mixing is not allowed. If its strictly for work or studies, then u can. but it has to be like strictly that. i think. there are plenty of threads here for u to check out sis. u can search it as well.

Peace

IbnAbdulHakim
01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
this might not help much but, you know what the greatest thing is, the heart.

so do this, think about what Allaah is calling to yeah and you decide if its unfair. Thats how its done i think

snakelegs
01-17-2007, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Krystalle
I know the main things that contradict Islam, but what are some things that are not accepted in Islam that are widely doen in Western society?
I know that promiscuity is one... but what are the others? lol:)
And thank you for your post. It is always nice to talk to sisters......
Cheers
Krystalle
welcome!
some muslims, including a lot on this forum say that ALL music is Forbidden.
musical instruments are Forbidden! even music about allah and the prophet is Forbidden (if accompanied by anything but a small drum).
obviously, there are many who manage to be muslim and enjoy music - just avoid music with indecent lyrics.
that's the worst thing i can think of that is not accepted in (some versions of) islam, but widely done in the west. a lot of the stuff widely done in the west is just as well thrown in the garbage.

Umm Yoosuf
01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi and Welcome to LI:)

I have toyed with the idea of converting for quite a while. I feel like I am being 'called' because I think about it all the time.
Thats good to know. I more to hear more regarding your wanting-to-convert/revert.

However, I would like an opinion. Can one be a Muslim but still be western? Obviously I am western; and I love many things about my country but at the the same time I beleive that many things are not right within it.
Why sure. Why not? Becoming a Muslim does not mean that you have to completely leave your culture and practises just the things that Islam forbids you from such as drinking/drugs etc

And at the same time, I don't agree with some things that Islam follows, for instance, I would not be ready to accept hijab.
I can understand. The Hijab is not easy for some. They see a Muslim woman wearing that long piece of garment and think no way I couldn’t possibly wear that :phew But then again the same people that have said that are wearing it today and encouraging other to do so.

Hijab is an integral part of Islam, which one need's to find a time when one is ready for it.
I wouldn't advice anyone to wear it when they are ready they might never be ready! Rather take it step by step. With understanding. Having knowledge of why one must wear it.

And then at the risk of sounding terible, I don't mean it to be, but I am scared.
Don't be. Islam is easy.

In the Quran Allah says:

'God desires ease for you, and desires not hardship' (2:185);

And

'Truly with hardship comes ease' (94: 6);

Also

“But whoever believes and works righteousness he shall have a goodly reward and easy will be his task as We order it by Our command.” (Qur'an 18:88)

Islam is not a way of life that is complex or difficult.

Abu Hurairah (radhiallâhu anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sallallâhu ‘alayhi wasallam) said, “Religion (Islam) is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by offering the prayers in the mornings, afternoons and during the last hours of the nights.” (Bukhâri 1/38)

In Canada we get very limited views. I beleive Islam to be beautiful. I can understand why Muslims are angry, but Muslims must also understand how instilled with fear non-Mulsims are when it comes to things like terrorism and non-nationalism. Many feel threatened that they are 'going to lose their culture' of that some Muslims come to the UK or even Canada and have plots to destroy Westernization from within.
I'd say that just plain paranoia. And people shouldn't think like that:)

We are misguided, I admit, but also afraid. We cannot help but know only what is in the media, and even though I have done my research,
What does the Media know? They present nothing of Islam that is postive. Ask yourself why are amny people coming to Islam? Never judge Islam by the actions of few misguided Muslim but by its book Al-Quran.

and consider myself to be a liberal Muslim. I beleive things that are directly in Qu'ran, but also love my western lifestyle - not the negative stereotypes (like the sex, or the crime). But please understand.... and give me some guidance! God Bless.
I say to you read the Quran.

skhalid
01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Don't rush into sudden , quick decisions!!!
Take ur time through every step..understand the rules and regulations within it...and move on from there!!!...If u are not ready 4 things like hijab..den there is time 4 that...but time management is important..bcoz us Muslims dnt knw when Judgement Day will come...Subhanallah it could be 2morrow...who know:?
but u take things slowly...manage one step..and the rest will fall in place Inshallah
Wish u all da best Krystalle XxX

IbnAbdulHakim
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM
^ i would say the opposite, hasten to accept islam, the sooner you accept the sooner the mercy of God will come and perhaps that will make things easier for you to understand. the next second isnt guaranteed...

skhalid
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
yes...but accepting in the right way...if she rushes it....she will end up folllowin some things and ignorin other aspects!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
yes...but accepting in the right way...if she rushes it....she will end up folllowin some things and ignorin other aspects!!!
ye but its better to research whilst a muslim then research whilst a kaafir

skhalid
01-17-2007, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ i would say the opposite, hasten to accept islam, the sooner you accept the sooner the mercy of God will come and perhaps that will make things easier for you to understand. the next second isnt guaranteed...
Brother...I dnt want to have a debate ...I care 4 u too much to do so...May Allah preserve you and your family...give you all the hapiness in the world and in Akhera.....live long brother ameeeen

IbnAbdulHakim
01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
Brother...I dnt want to have a debate ...I care 4 u too much to do so...May Allah preserve you and your family...give you all the hapiness in the world and in Akhera.....live long brother ameeeen
jazakAllah khair, wa iyyakum

Ameen!

i just want the sister to understand that if she believes at all that its right she should accept it...

remember the jew at the battle of uhud, Umar RA who read just a few verses, many sahabi who reverted due to one ayyat. Many people of today they become muslim first you see i just think its better.

Im sry if i seemed argumentative, i just wanted the miss (:X) to revert asap inshaAllaah...

skhalid
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
No problem...I didnt actually say she shouldn't convert...that shud b dun asap

I was jst sayin dat the rest of the rules within bein a muslim....what it all involves...if she cannot keep those rules, she shud try wot she can to do so...but manage her time vry well...time wastin is nt a good fing :rollseyes

IbnAbdulHakim
01-17-2007, 10:19 PM
agreed !

skhalid
01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Finally :phew dat tuk a while!!!!

Pk_#2
01-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Hello sis :p,

Welcome to Li Islamic Forum :D,

Have a beneficial time!,

All the best! And may God guide you, inshaAllah (God-Willing)

Aisha20
01-18-2007, 04:45 AM
hi

:welcome: to Li

Hope u have a beneficial stay here

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.