PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Hijab...



Palestine81
07-09-2005, 08:22 AM
السلام عليكم و رحمته الله و بركاته

is there a certain way of wearing the Hijab? i see many different ways people wear the Hijab and yet i don't know why they don't all wear it in one way...also, should the Hijab be a solid color or is it ok to wear multi colored Hijabs-though a couple of days ago i heard someone saying that the colored Hijabs bring attention to one's self...Insha'Allah i get feedback on my questions with anything else relating to the Hijab...
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hijabi
07-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Walaykum Assalam Wa Rehmatulahi Wabarakatahu Sister :sister:

Today, for some people...Hijab has become some sort of a fashion. I know it may sound abit strange but its true. As Muslimah's, we have to be modest by following what the Qur'an and Sunnah has ordered us to do. Stay away from the bright colours...we are advised to wear dark colours such as black, navy blue (etc)...
And your Hijab should not be in a style to just look beautiful...but it should cover your hair, neck...(keep one thing in mind, am I doing it for the sake of Allah?...or just to wear it because its the new trend?)
Just wear it the simple way, simplicity is the best thing Alhamdulilah :sister:

*Insha'Allah, check my thread its called Gift For Women
Reply

Palestine81
07-09-2005, 10:24 AM
thank you sister for clarifying that up for me concerning the colored hijab....now i was browsing websites and i came across one that states:

"THE WORD "HIJAB" in the QURAN

"Hijab" is the term used by many Muslims women to describe their head cover that may or may not include covering their face except their eyes, and sometimes covering also one eye. The Arabic word "Hijab" can be translated into veil or yashmak. Other meanings for the word "Hijab" include, screen, cover(ing), mantle, curtain, drapes, partition, division, divider.

Can we find the word "Hijab" in the Quran??

The word "Hijab" appeared in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban," these are 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 & 19:17.

None of these "Hijab" words are used in the Quran in reference to what the traditional Muslims call today (Hijab) as a dress code for the Muslim woman.

Hijab as it appears in the Quran has nothing to do with the Muslim Women dress code. "

Also, under HISTORICAL BACKGROUND it stated..

"While many Muslims call "Hijab", an Islamic dress code, they completely ignore the fact that, Hijab as a dress code has nothing to do with Islam and nothing to do with QURAN. "

the website link is: http://www.---------------/teenagers/dress-teens.html

it seems to me that the writer is following only the Quran and somehow ignoring maybe neglecting the Sunnah... isn't a muslim supposed to follow the Quran and the Sunnah
... i don't know really though i hope someone may clarify this for me...
:confused:
Reply

Hijabi
07-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Sister, some scholars have said Niqab (The veil) is compulsory...And there are different opinions to this. Insha'Allah, I'll get the link for you and pm it... :sister:

:w:
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
aminahshijabs
07-09-2005, 03:28 PM
I have looked at different countries style and yes there are different styles in different cultures. The nice thing about the United States, is just like the American gene pool the Hijabs styles come from all other the world. So you can get away with wear a more variety of styles.

When I am in the US I wear the style of hijab that is one or two piece that you just pull over your head and don't have to worry about pinning.

Although, if I am in Kuwait this is not in style. In fact, people their will sometime predetermine where you are from from the style of Hijab you wear. My husband’s family being Kuwaiti themselves encourage me to wear a hijab that are about approx. 22 in(56 cm) x 64 in(163 cm) that is more of an elongated rectangle. So I wear this style of hijab there so that I don't stand out as much as a foreigner (and with my abyah and not talking I do a pretty good job-I don’t speak Arabic very well). I have the style Hijabs I wear in Kuwait in stock, but I haven't gotten a chance to take picture of then and put them in the store. Also the women in my husband family wear a niqab when they are away from home. I, myself don’t wear a niqab unless I am wearing makeup outside the house, for example, I go to the salon and the woman their do my makeup and I wear it in front of my husband.(That is hard to find in the US.)

Note that both when I am in US and Kuwait, I wear a black hijab, although when I am in the US I do also wear tan, white and off-white.

My point is that even though you may wear a none bright color hijab, there is still different types. I think that the one- and two- piece hijabs that I sell right now are easier for women that are not use to wearing hijabs. That is why I started selling them first, because they were my favorite. But I also understand that, that is not everyone’s favorite so I am expanding my selection to include, different types of hijabs. In addition I am going to start selling Black Niqabs, Gloves, long one piece hijabs that are popular for praying, and more.

I myself am interested in hearing about other style of hijabs that I have not listed. Please text message me if you have any questions and also please check out my store…
Reply

Pinkrose
07-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Palestine81
السلام عليكم و رحمته الله و بركاته

is there a certain way of wearing the Hijab? i see many different ways people wear the Hijab and yet i don't know why they don't all wear it in one way...also, should the Hijab be a solid color or is it ok to wear multi colored Hijabs-though a couple of days ago i heard someone saying that the colored Hijabs bring attention to one's self...Insha'Allah i get feedback on my questions with anything else relating to the Hijab...
:sl: :sister:

I posted this article in general chat and it's called "A Reminder for my Sisters wearing the Hijaab" I think it provides good info on how the muslim woman should cover herself!! Maybe that will help Inshallah!! You can check it out!! ;)

:w: :wilted_ro
Reply

Muhammad
07-14-2005, 02:15 PM
:sl:

Some people might say that Hijab itself is not ordered in the Qur'an, but they forget that we take our religion from two sources and not one: the second being the Sunnah. Therefore it is not allowed to take from just one of these sources and neglect the other, because both come hand-in-hand and support one another.


:w:
Reply

root
07-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Good Points, if I may add that the "Hijab" goes back to the question "Should a women cover her natural buety", as to what "Defines" natural buety has been man made. The wearing of the Hijab stems from this.
Reply

Muezzin
07-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by root
Good Points, if I may add that the "Hijab" goes back to the question "Should a women cover her natural buety", as to what "Defines" natural buety has been man made. The wearing of the Hijab stems from this.
Pretty much, yep. 'Natural beauty' and 'modesty' differs from culture to culture. Note the practically nude ancient tribes of the Amazon. This is not a criticism of my Islamic culture or such tribal cultures, it's simply an observation.
Reply

Preacher
07-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Muhammad
:sl:

Some people might say that Hijab itself is not ordered in the Qur'an, but they forget that we take our religion from two sources and not one: the second being the Sunnah. Therefore it is not allowed to take from just one of these sources and neglect the other, because both come hand-in-hand and support one another.


:w:
:sl:

Very true indeed, brother Muhammad! You have spoken the truth. Might I add that there is clear command in the Qur'an for Hijab. Let me begin by stating the following:

Muslim scholars of Qur'an agree that the commandment regarding the Hijab for women was revealed in the Ayah 33:53. This ayah is also knwon as Ayah of Hijab.

Qur'an 33:53

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَدْخُلُوا بُيُوتَ النَّبِيِّ إِلَّا أَن يُؤْذَنَ لَكُمْ إِلَى طَعَامٍ غَيْرَ نَاظِرِينَ إِنَاهُ وَلَكِنْ إِذَا دُعِيتُمْ فَادْخُلُوا فَإِذَا طَعِمْتُمْ فَانتَشِرُوا وَلَا مُسْتَأْنِسِينَ لِحَدِيثٍ إِنَّ ذَلِكُمْ كَانَ يُؤْذِي النَّبِيَّ فَيَسْتَحْيِي مِنكُمْ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَسْتَحْيِي مِنَ الْحَقِّ وَإِذَا سَأَلْتُمُوهُنَّ مَتَاعاً فَاسْأَلُوهُنَّ مِن وَرَاء حِجَابٍ ذَلِكُمْ أَطْهَرُ لِقُلُوبِكُمْ وَقُلُوبِهِنَّ وَمَا كَانَ لَكُمْ أَن تُؤْذُوا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ وَلَا أَن تَنكِحُوا أَزْوَاجَهُ مِن بَعْدِهِ أَبَداً إِنَّ ذَلِكُمْ كَانَ عِندَ اللَّهِ عَظِيماً

O you who believe! Enter not the Prophets houses, except when leave is given to you for a meal, (and then) not (so early as) to wait for its preparation. But when you are invited, enter, and when you have taken your meal, disperse, without sitting for a talk. Verily, such (behaviour) annoys the Prophet, and he is shy of (asking) you (to go), but Allah is not shy of (telling you) the truth. And when you ask (his wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts. And it is not (right) for you that you should annoy Allahs Messenger, nor that you should ever marry his wives after him (his death). Verily! With Allah that shall be an enormity.

The Ayah 33:53 contains some etiuettes and Commandments of the Islamic way of life pertainint to the following:

1. Invitation of means and conduct of guest,
2. Hijab for women, and
3. Marriage with the wives of the Prophet MUhammad (SAW) after his demise.

Since the number # 1 & 3 are not the scope of my feedback, thus, I will conclude to affirm that # 2 i.e. Hijab was mandated for women through Ayah 33:53. Needless to point out that women were not required to observe Hijab before the revelation of this Ayah.

We also find similar way of addressing in Ayah 65:1, which I quote:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ إِذَا طَلَّقْتُمُ النِّسَاء فَطَلِّقُوهُنَّ لِعِدَّتِهِنَّ وَأَحْصُوا الْعِدَّةَ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ رَبَّكُمْ لَا تُخْرِجُوهُنَّ مِن بُيُوتِهِنَّ وَلَا يَخْرُجْنَ إِلَّا أَن يَأْتِينَ بِفَاحِشَةٍ مُّبَيِّنَةٍ وَتِلْكَ حُدُودُ اللَّهِ وَمَن يَتَعَدَّ حُدُودَ اللَّهِ فَقَدْ ظَلَمَ نَفْسَهُ لَا تَدْرِي لَعَلَّ اللَّهَ يُحْدِثُ بَعْدَ ذَلِكَ أَمْراً
O Prophet (SAW)! When you divorce women, divorce them at their Iddah (prescribed periods), and count (accurately) their Iddah (periods ). And fear Allah your Lord (O Muslims), and turn them not out of their (husbands) homes, nor shall they (themselves) leave, except in case they are guilty of some open illegal sexual intercourse. And those are the set limits of Allah. And whosoever transgresses the set limits of Allah, then indeed he has wronged himself. You (the one who divorces his wife) know not, it may be that Allah will afterward bring some new thing to pass (i.e. to return her back to you if that was the first or second divorce).

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ إِذَا طَلَّقْتُمُ النِّسَاء فَطَلِّقُوهُنَّ لِعِدَّتِهِنَّ وَأَحْصُوا الْعِدَّةَ
O Prophet (SAW)! When you divorce women, divorce them at their Iddah (prescribed periods), and count (accurately) their Iddah (periods ).


Obviously, not divorcing women in their prescribed periods (Iddat) and waiting until they are clean, was not meant only for Prophet's (SAW) wives, but all Muslim men and women are bound to this Divine Law..

Similarly , in the Ayah 33:53, although the address is similar to Ayah 65:1 (Prophet's (SAW) wives) the Commandment is meant for all Muslim women. The explicit and obvious evidence of this Command in the Ayah 33:53 is the pharse ...ذَلِكُمْ أَطْهَرُ لِقُلُوبِكُمْ وَقُلُوبِهِنَّ... (...that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts...)

This clearly means that immodesty (going wihtout Hijab) breeds filth and indecency in hearts.

I will pause for now on this topic, however, if some one thinks that Hijab is not an obligation and neither such a command is mentioned in the Qur'an than I like to see his/her evidence and I am willing to take him/her on one-on-one, using Qur'an and Sunnah (mainly Qur'an) I will insha Allah impeach that person.

:w:
Preacher
Reply

root
07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi Preacher.......

Thanks for the post, it would have been good for you also to post the section that refers to a womens buety.

Since as you noted yourself, your main interest "2. was Hijab for women" you used the following quote taken from what I can only describe as etiquete in someones home.

And when you ask (his wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen
So this quote is representing the wearing of the Hijab. Is that what you mean.

that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts.
And this quote is the "Reasoning".

Quote A is an etiquete of manner to protect quote B.

Whilst what you have quoted does not mention the Jihab, it seems to be an instruction to the man to speak behind a screen & not an instruction to the women. May I ask, who how & why is it interpreted the way that you have stated since you clearly post it as proof that the Koran instructs women to wear it.

Additionaly, it states (Wives). I never knew that he had more than one wife.

Regards

Root
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
07-15-2005, 09:15 AM
There's only one way a Muslim woman should dress and that according to the Quran and Sunnah. And we should understand the Quran and Sunnah according to the way of the Sahaba.
Reply

YoussefinOrange
07-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Although the word Hijab isn't used in the Holy Qur'an, there is an ayah in the Noble Quran that calls for the believing woman to let down their head coverings over their chests... I will look for it for you.

And yes, the prophet (pbuhahp) had more than one wife. But he did not marry any wives until after his first wife, Kadijah, peace be upon her, died (so he did remain monogomous for... ~20 years?). When he started marrying other women, he married them primarily to take care of them because either they were widows of his martryed companions, or women of other tribes (which helped reconcile relations between Muslims and other tribes. Although the Holy Qur'an gives many instructions to fight the infidels, the Most Gracious and Merciful Allah always commanded Muhammad, peace be upon him and his progeny, to accept peace whenever the unbelievers would offer it, even if there was a chance of being deceived by them) and I know in one case he married one woman in order to dispel the superstitious belief that you cannot marry the wife of one of your adopted sons (Just because you say "this is my son", he is not your son, and just because you say "this is my mother, she is not your mother" - this was directed to the superstitious arabs).

But by the time he was marrying and caring for these women, he was far from the standard "age of vigour" for young men. He never married for the sake of lust and satisfaction, although some non-Muslims might assume that he established polygamy for the lust of men when they hear about the prophet's (peace be upon him) wives.

I know when I first heard that he had married more than 4 wives (the limit of all Muslim men), I thought that this was a sign of curruption in Islam. Of course Allah, subhana wata Allah revealed a verse in the Qur'an that very clearly excuses the prophet (pbuhahp) and only the prophet from this limit of 4 wives, but the same ayah directs him to not marry any more wives after the ones he already had. The prophet (pbuhahp) never married after that ayah was revealed, but he was allowed to retain the number of wives that exceeded the four, and other Muslims had to release theirs.

Surely Allah (SWT) knows best the limits of men, He is closer to us than our juggular vein, and surely He comprehends the needs of the world.

Asalamualaikum
Reply

YoussefinOrange
07-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Correction: "Hijab isn't used in the Holy Qur'an"

I meant Hijab isn't used in connecton with the head scarf.

and by the way, I am not sure about that, because unfortunately I do not read in arabic...
Reply

Preacher
07-16-2005, 12:29 AM
:sl:

Why The Prophet Muhammad صلی الله عليه وسلم Married More Women Than Allowed To His Ummah?

:w:
Preacher
Reply

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Peace Root,
Originally Posted by root
Whilst what you have quoted does not mention the Jihab, it seems to be an instruction to the man to speak behind a screen & not an instruction to the women. May I ask, who how & why is it interpreted the way that you have stated since you clearly post it as proof that the Koran instructs women to wear it.
The Qur'an is interpreted with the Sunnah and the understanding of early Muslims.

Regards
Reply

Preacher
07-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by YoussefinOrange
Correction: "Hijab isn't used in the Holy Qur'an"

I meant Hijab isn't used in connecton with the head scarf.

and by the way, I am not sure about that, because unfortunately I do not read in arabic...
:sl:

In order to understand the Qur'an, one must have proper education of Qur'anic sciences to an intermediate level, if not advance level. An expert level would be ideal.

One will never learn and never understand the Qur'an by merely reading the English translation of Qur'an that would often lead to non-sensical questions after misunderstdning, unless one is among those who are blessed according to Qur'an 6:125.

You need to understand Islaamic Shariah rules of elucidation and interpretation!

:w:
Preacher
Reply

Preacher
07-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by root
Hi Preacher.......

Thanks for the post, it would have been good for you also to post the section that refers to a womens buety.

Since as you noted yourself, your main interest "2. was Hijab for women" you used the following quote taken from what I can only describe as etiquete in someones home.



So this quote is representing the wearing of the Hijab. Is that what you mean.



And this quote is the "Reasoning".

Quote A is an etiquete of manner to protect quote B.

Whilst what you have quoted does not mention the Jihab, it seems to be an instruction to the man to speak behind a screen & not an instruction to the women. May I ask, who how & why is it interpreted the way that you have stated since you clearly post it as proof that the Koran instructs women to wear it.

Additionaly, it states (Wives). I never knew that he had more than one wife.

Regards

Root
Hi root

Please refer to my post # 10 and my concluding comments that are quoted again:

I will pause for now on this topic, however, if some one thinks that Hijab is not an obligation and neither such a command is mentioned in the Qur'an than I like to see his/her evidence and I am willing to take him/her on one-on-one, using Qur'an and Sunnah (mainly Qur'an) I will insha Allah impeach that person.
Regards
Preacher
Reply

Ummu Amatullah
07-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Asallama Alaikum sister
I don't think that there's a certain way to wear the hijab as long as it meets the requirements of the hijab.These are some of the requirements:
1)not made of silk
2)not attractive to the eye(light colors are mostly attractive to the eye)
3)has to be able to cover your features
4)thick
5)garment worn over clothes or dress
6)baggy
I know for a fact that some females complain about the hijab it's lenght and etc..
They say "How can we wear this big thing when it's so hot". Sister remind your self which
one's hotter the sun or the blazing,fiery flames of hell?I wounder why most muslim sisters these days think that the hijab is only to cover the hair and the neck. By allah we wouldn't be required to cover our selves if we were only to cover these parts. No, we're commanded to cover our bodies because it's attractive to the opposite sex.
asalama alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
  2. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 05:19 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 06:01 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!