/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to Tell If Someone is Lying to You.

jaleel
07-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Ever wonder if a person is telling you a lie? There are clues which can tell you that a person is being less than truthful to you and that are methods you can use to get at the truth or manipulate the situation.

How To Spot a Liar:

1. No eye contact. His eyes will look away. If the room has a means of egress - that's where they'll look.
2. Crossing of arms and/or legs (a protective instinct).
3. The pupils of the eyes will narrow. Lying is stressful.
4. Hands on the face, especially the mouth. They are "covering" the lie.
5. Talking fast. A liar wants to get it over with.
6. Sometimes the head will nod a "no" when answering a "yes" question or visa versa. This is a subconscious movement.
7. Mispronouncing the words or mumbling. A liar kind of thinks he is not lying when he pronounces words incorrectly or mumbles.
8. Overstated friendliness/laughing. He wants you to believe and he wants you to like him so you will believe him.

How Not To Be Lied To:

1. Sit in the higher chair. A subtle sort of intimidation.
2. Uncross your legs and open your arms - lean back. Make yourself "open" to the truth.
3. Ask for minute details (a challenge to the liar).
4. Don't ever tell them what you DO know - don't point out you know what they are saying is a lie. This is your own ego trip.
5. Invade their personal space. Get close, they'll get uncomfortable (good).
6. Mimic their posture and movements..be subtle. This establishes a rapport and they'll never figure out why.
7. Speak in their style. Listen to how they think. If the person says things like "I HEAR ya!" or "that SOUNDS good", you'll know he thinks auditorially or with his ears. If he says "I shoulda SEEN it comin" or "I SEE what you mean", you'll know he is visually oriented. If he says things like "it HIT me like a tons of bricks" or "I just FROZE in my tracks", you'll know he thinks by feelings. Speak to him the same way. A good test is to ask someone to recite the alphabet. Some people will stare as if they are looking at the alphabet above the blackboard in grade school (visual), some people will sing the alphabet (auditory) and some people will taps out the letters (feeling). If you match their thinking method, you'll have instant rapport.
8. Give 'em an "out". You gotta make it easy for them to to tell the truth. Pretend you didn't hear them correctly or tell them you didn't understand what they said. Always leave a way out so they recant their words and tell the truth.
9. Stay calm. Never show surprise or shock. Treat everything they say with the same importance. The first time you react negatively you will lose any chance of being told the truth.

:-[

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hijabi
07-09-2005, 08:51 AM
May Allah save us from this terrible sin Ameen!

Z
07-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Well by knowing how to spot a liar, makes you even a better liar as you can then avoid those things? No?

Hmm makes me wonder, will we be able to tell that the Dajaal is lying to us?

Pinkrose
07-10-2005, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jaleel
5. Invade their personal space. Get close, they'll get uncomfortable (good).
:-[
:sl:

Invade their personal space?!! :omg:
Make them uncomfortable? :omg:

But that is mean!! I hate to feel uncomfortable and i hate making others feel that way!! :-[ I hate getting in ppl's personal space too!! That is crazy!! :omg:

btw: DO NOT THINK THAT I AM A LIAR CUZ' I DO NOT LIE!! INSTEAD I FEAR ALLAH!! :sister:

:w: :wilted_ro

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
minaz
07-10-2005, 08:52 PM
What is the point of this thread?

Muezzin
07-10-2005, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
What is the point of this thread?
STOP LYING!

:p

Genius
07-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I usually lie on the internet, it's harder to get caught.

Pinkrose
07-10-2005, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Genius
:sl:

:omg: :omg:

:w:

Muezzin
07-11-2005, 10:51 AM
True.

Which is why I'd never get one of these online brides. I might end up with Genius in a dress.

Abubakar
07-11-2005, 11:14 AM

:sl: Genius

So you are not a Liverpool supporter really. ;D ;D ;D

You had me fooled ;)

Peace

------
09-06-2007, 04:44 PM
:salamext:

1. No eye contact. His eyes will look away.
Most common. Deffo.

Muezzin
09-06-2007, 06:46 PM
How to tell a politician is lying.

He opens his mouth.

The end.

Oh, all right, you can say it for lawyers too, we have a sense of humour instead of an electorate. :p

09-06-2007, 07:57 PM
^lol

nice thread mashaAllah

Md Mashud
09-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I usually lie on... a bed :o

Ibn Al Aqwa
09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
How To Spot a Liar:

1. No eye contact. His eyes will look away. If the room has a means of egress - that's where they'll look.
2. Crossing of arms and/or legs (a protective instinct).
3. The pupils of the eyes will narrow. Lying is stressful.
4. Hands on the face, especially the mouth. They are "covering" the lie.
5. Talking fast. A liar wants to get it over with.
6. Sometimes the head will nod a "no" when answering a "yes" question or visa versa. This is a subconscious movement.
7. Mispronouncing the words or mumbling. A liar kind of thinks he is not lying when he pronounces words incorrectly or mumbles.
8. Overstated friendliness/laughing. He wants you to believe and he wants you to like him so you will believe him.

Thing is...if the person lies a lot, then these dont work...

Some people have it though, like rasulallah (saw) and some of the salaf, a gift from Allah, they could tell straight away when someone lied

InToTheRain
09-06-2007, 08:16 PM

1. No eye contact. His eyes will look away. If the room has a means of egress - that's where they'll look. :-[

I thought they move their eyes/pupils in a certain direction, right? or left? when talking which says they are lying or not :O or have watched too many movies :embarrass

format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
I usually lie on... a bed :o
;D Thats a good things coz it wouldn't be so hard to tell that your lying :raging: ;D

Md Mashud
09-06-2007, 08:23 PM
If you wanna know if someone is lying or not, get Derren Brown into the action.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.