/* */

PDA

View Full Version : was Jesus/Isa(as) a Muslim?

YusufNoor
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
A`udhu Billahi mina Shaytanir Rajeem,

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Assalamu 'alaykum,

this was part of a response to another thread:

Muslims believe Jesus to be Muslim too, I suppose. I think that some of those who Muslims have claimed to be Muslim would be surprised to learn it, but that is really irrelevant to this thread
it obviously begs the question: are there ANY Muslims surprised to learn that Jesus/Isa(as) was a Muslim?

is there a Muslim out there who DOESN'T consider Jesus/Isa(as) a Muslim?

Discuss:

:w:

Yusuf

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al_Imaan
01-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Didn't Islam and Muslim's come after Prophet Esa?...I mean, Prophet Esa was given the book of God and believed in it obviously....but the name Muslim wasn't given back then, it came after Prophet Muhammad's (saw) time....right?

mariam.
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
"Ibrahim was not a Jew nor a Christian but he was (an) upright (man), a Muslim, and he was not one of the polytheists."(3,67)
"O you who believe! bow down and prostrate yourselves and serve your Lord, and do.good that you may succeed.
And strive hard in (the way of) Allah, (such) a striving a is due to Him; He has chosen you and has not laid upon you an hardship in religion; the faith of your father Ibrahim; He named you Muslims before and in this, that the Apostle may be a bearer of witness to you, and you may be bearers of witness to the people; therefore keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and hold fast by Allah; He is your Guardian; how excellent the Guardian and how excellent the Helper!"(20,77-78)
.. peace

Woodrow
01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_imaan_786
Didn't Islam and Muslim's come after Prophet Esa?...I mean, Prophet Esa was given the book of God and believed in it obviously....but the name Muslim wasn't given back then, it came after Prophet Muhammad's (saw) time....right?
What is a Muslim? What is Islam?

Answer both of those correctly and you will see that the first Muslim was Adam(PBUH) and tha Isa(as) was also a Muslim.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
^^exactly right.

Muslim Woman
01-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&
Edited :

Al_Imaan
01-18-2007, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
What is a Muslim? What is Islam?

Answer both of those correctly and you will see that the first Muslim was Adam(PBUH) and tha Isa(as) was also a Muslim.
sorry, didn't realize that at first...

Bittersteel
01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Muslims believe that Isa was a Muslim(as a Prophet of God) ,while Christians don't.

Malaikah
01-20-2007, 11:30 AM
:sl:

All the prophets and their follows are called Muslims. They have the same belief system as we do in Islam (the oneness of God, the reason for creation, the day of judgement, heaven and hell).

The only thing that is different is their law. Somethings were halal for them, but are haram for us and vice versa.

But they are all considered Muslims.

A Muslim, btw, is one who submits himself to God.

'Abd al-Baari
01-21-2007, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

All the prophets and their follows are called Muslims. They have the same belief system as we do in Islam (the oneness of God, the reason for creation, the day of judgement, heaven and hell).

The only thing that is different is their law. Somethings were halal for them, but are haram for us and vice versa.

But they are all considered Muslims.

A Muslim, btw, is one who submits himself to God.
salams
does this mean we can clasify practising christians and jews as muslims as they follow different laws, but submit themselfs to God

- Qatada -
01-21-2007, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907
salams
does this mean we can clasify practising christians and jews as muslims as they follow different laws, but submit themselfs to God
:salamext:

First of all, the jews who followed the message of Moses/Musa and the true prophets (peace be upon them) were muslims and they followed islaam.

The word islaam means submission towards God/Allaah, and the word muslim comes from the root word islaam, so anyone who's a muslim is someone who's submitted to Allaah.

The christians who followed the message of Jesus (peace be upon him) were also muslims because they submitted to Allaah. They followed islaam and weren't called christians [this only got called christianity later because of the name Christ.]

All the prophets before Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) came to their own nation and told the people to worship Allaah alone. The final messenger of Allaah was prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and he would come to all of mankind.

In the Qur'an, Allaah says to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him):

"Say: 'O mankind! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of Allah, to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth." (Qur'an 7:158)

So anyone who's alive after the Prophethood of the Messenger of Allaah, Muhammad (peace be upon him) - we have to follow him in order to get to jannah/paradise. We can't follow the law revealed to any other prophet, even though we accept them as true messengers of Allaah.

This means that the jews and christians, and any other person living on the earth today has to follow the message revealed to Muhammad (peace be upon him.)

And whoever desires a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.
[Qur'an 3:85]

Grace Seeker
02-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Conceptualize this for a moment:

If in about 200 years, a group of teckies emerged that worshipped the "god of the internet", they might come up with all sorts of crazy theologies. And they might also look back in time and decided that those who used the internet in its infancy were their forbearers, and for that reason in their minds we were a part of them. And in their way of thinking -- which has nothing to do with any of the various faiths represented here -- they might deem such persons as "gods", or at the very least as part of their faith. Well, in one sense they would be right, that is they had incorporated us into their faith. Of course, none of us would agree, but our voices would be long silenced and that such a practice or faith would be anathema to us wouldn't even cross their minds. It would be part of their faith, and (true or not) they would assume that it must, therefore, also be part of ours.

Now, I see that something akin (though perhaps not as extreme as I just painted it) has happened within Islam. Islam understands itself to have the truth. Islam reveres those who have gone before as also being servants of God. Since these people served and worshipped the same God that Islam serves and worships, then of course they must have been in harmony with Islam. And from Islam's point of view that is fine and it settles it. Indeed, Islam feels even more strongly about it than that, for Islam believes that this information has been received as divine revelation.

But my guess, it would be news to those who existed before Muhammad (pbuh).

wilberhum
02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
I can just see Jesus saying, "What's a Muslim?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Woodrow
02-08-2007, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Not if he spoke Aramaic as the English translation would be "What is a person who submits to the will of God(swt)"

Grace Seeker
02-08-2007, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Not if he spoke Aramaic as the English translation would be "What is a person who submits to the will of God(swt)"
touche :lol:
(please use French pronounciation, not English, when reading this word)

Malaikah
02-09-2007, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
But my guess, it would be news to those who existed before Muhammad (pbuh).
Couldn't the same be said about Christianity by a Jew?

The Islamic faith is exactly the same as that of the previous prophets with respect to the belief aspects (such as the belief in one God, His Prophets, His Angles, His books, the Day of Judgement, Heaven and Hell... etc.)... only the law is different, so they most certainly would not recognise that part of 'Islam'.

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I can just see Jesus saying "Who is Jesus?"

:D

Grace Seeker
02-09-2007, 12:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Couldn't the same be said about Christianity by a Jew?

:D
I believe it often is. Notice the conversations on this board.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.