/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Laptops/ Notebook pcs??

*noor
01-16-2007, 06:09 PM
assalaamu alaikum

anyone here have a gateway laptop? or used to have one? tell me about your experience with it please.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabiyal
01-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I have sony vaio currently...

I personally heard gateway is cheap but not a reliable machine.

I have used, HP, Apple Powerbook, Sony vaio, compaq and IBM, and out of all these machine I think IBM is the best, they don't sell laptops much, but you can find it at an online auction or somewhere.

As for Vaio it's good for graphics, as is Powerbook, but they are too big and bulky sometimes. I am saying that cuz I have had 17" ones.

HP and compaq are not reliable cuz of their screen or their dvd/cd drives are messed up... so it's up to you...best of luck sis

*noor
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
jazakilllah sister

anyone else have a gateway???

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
My bro has it i think..i guess he likes it. but i barely see em on it:X
i have alienware also...:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*noor
01-16-2007, 11:37 PM
jazakillah sister Tayyaba

does anyone here have a gateway laptop?

M2A^AKIB^
01-16-2007, 11:54 PM
i have a gateway computer plus 19 in. widescreen HD display!!!!!!!!!
it works fine...

As Salamualaikum

*noor
01-16-2007, 11:57 PM
what model is it?

M2A^AKIB^
01-17-2007, 12:18 AM
XP media center edition 2006... free upgrade to Vista. Gateway GT5238E.
Intel Core 2 Duo. 1.87 Ghz.. 1 GB ram. 250 Gigs.

That's all i know.

*noor
01-17-2007, 12:26 AM
kk, jazakallah.....does it have good battery life?

M2A^AKIB^
01-17-2007, 12:27 AM
it's a pc......
sorry forgot to mention that!!!!

*smack*

*noor
01-17-2007, 12:28 AM
oh, i already have a desktop lol

i need a new laptop because my dell wasn't reliable and really let me down.

its ok, thank you for trying to help.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 12:32 AM
well my bro had his gateway one for a about a year now. its still fine so...and its nice lookin too. umm but i like the alienware ;D

*noor
01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
well my bro had his gateway one for a about a year now. its still fine so...and its nice lookin too. umm but i like the alienware ;D
i heard alienware is good too, but i'm on a budget :X

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 12:34 AM
^^hehe yea. well i got stuck wit my bros dell :X. i get all the stuff they dont want anymore. but i dont complain..im not desperate hehe.

*noor
01-17-2007, 12:37 AM
^^hehe yea. well i got stuck wit my bros dell :X. i get all the stuff they dont want anymore. but i dont complain..im not desperate hehe.
well i hope its not an inspiron 6000, because the charger for that model is built only to last for a limited amount of time, so you have to keep buying it, me and my sister went through 3 adapters already for that model before realizing it.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 12:45 AM
wowww. Are u referring to the laptop? He still uses the same adapter. i dunno wat it is actually ;D

*noor
01-17-2007, 12:46 AM
wowww. Are u referring to the laptop? He still uses the same adapter. i dunno wat it is actually ;D

i bet its not a dell inspiron 6000, thats the one with the bad adapters

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 12:50 AM
nah its not. wait im confused. i have 2 dell desktops and an alienware and gateway laptop :X

M2A^AKIB^
01-17-2007, 01:05 AM
wat do u do with all those??!!??^^^^^^

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 01:07 AM
loooool they stay in the rooms ;D. why, u want it :? lol.
im satisfied with one computer. its my bro's who r too much into it...

aamirsaab
01-17-2007, 10:49 AM
:sl:
I don't have a laptop, however, I have seen several decent spec'd machines when I was researching them last year.

It all depends on what you need it for:
* coursework and homework (word applications and similar stuff) etc; a decent hard drive and ram would be ideal, eg. 60+ gb HDD and anything over 512 ram (more programs you need running at a time, the more ram you'll need). Also, wireless internet connection could be handy.
* media applications/video stuff; graphics card and ram would be highest priority. Generally, the prices of these models are well over £1,000.
* gaming; same as above, though ram could be substituted for HDD depending on the games you want to play.

Dell are ok ish for prices as they have low to high (lowest priced laptop I have seen on dell website: £300, highest being around £3,000!) and generally have a good selection on the whole, though they're gaming machines aren't the best.

Alienware can get you a very decent spec, which, even after 5 years, will still be relatively powerfull. Though, prices range from £2500 and upwards.
Perfect for media and gaming. A complete waste of money if you only need it for homework though.

PC world/comet etc won't neccesarily be as pricey and at the same time won't neccesarily be as spec'd up. I'd recommend if you wanted a laptop or desktop for nothing other than homework/coursework, purchase it from PC world/comet etc.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 07:19 PM
My bros get it for "gaming." I use it for school mostly.

*noor
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
i use mine mostly for school as well and by the way, i got the gateway yesterday at an excellent buy :D, and so far, i love it mashaAllah!

ABWAN
01-19-2007, 07:44 AM
I guess its a little too late to suggest now, but did you make sure that your laptop supports Vista? Some of the companies are offering free upgrades to Vista as well.

*noor
01-20-2007, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ABWAN
I guess its a little too late to suggest now, but did you make sure that your laptop supports Vista? Some of the companies are offering free upgrades to Vista as well.
well i don't really need vista so I don't care about that, even if I bought a laptop that supports vista, i wouldn't upgrade.........i mostly use my laptop for college so there's really no need for vista here.....but thanks for that concern.

snakelegs
01-20-2007, 09:00 PM
i just learned that even desk top pc's have batteries, thus opening a whole new space in TheThings to Worry About Realm.
what happens when the battery dies?

Woodrow
01-20-2007, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i just learned that even desk top pc's have batteries, thus opening a whole new space in TheThings to Worry About Realm.
what happens when the battery dies?
It normaly is no disaster, but it will mess up your clock settings and in some cases can mess up the BIOS settings. However, all come back while you are running off the power supply. The batteries are nearly indestructable. In my older PC's I had them last 5 years and were still good.

The batteries are cheap and easy to replace, If you have any real fears just replace the battery every 3 years and you should never have a problem.

snakelegs
01-20-2007, 10:20 PM
thanks, woodrow - that's good news indeed!
now i can flook for Something Else to Worry About.

ABWAN
01-21-2007, 05:11 AM
The battery you are referring to, is in the motherboard. Normally it wouldnt drain out that fast. If that happens, it only messes up the time settings. The easy fix would be to open the tower, take the battery out and then warm (not by heating ofcourse!, just keep it in your palm and rub it a bit) it up a little or keep it in sun for a couple of mins.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.