PDA

View Full Version : Muslim swimwear



glo
01-18-2007, 03:42 PM
What do people here make of the 'burkini'?
Is it a good idea?
Does it empower Muslim women to be more active in their community?
Is it not appropriate?
The two-piece "burkini", popular in the Middle East, is proving key to a reshaping surf lifesaving Down Under -- once a bastion of white Australian culture and still a heartland of the country's sun-bronzed, heroic self-myth.

"I am Australian so I always have the Australian life style, but now with the burkini it just allowed me to participate in it more. We used to always go to the beach, but now that I have the burqini I can actually swim," Mecca Laalaa, 22, told Reuters.

Laalaa is one of 24 young Australians of Arab heritage who recently signed up to a 10-week training course run by Surf Life Saving Australia aimed at widening the racial mix on beaches. http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/as.../burqini.reut/
In Australia, the beach is part of life. But Muslim women had to trudge through the sand in full-length dresses and robes.

But designer Aheda Zanetti said she believes her "Burkini" design will help Muslim women integrate further into Australian society.

A burka is a full-length garment worn by some Muslim women.

She also said it's also for anyone who wants to show some modesty while on the beach or protect themselves from the rays of the sun.

The Burkini is made from ultraviolet- and water-protected polyester. Unlike the bikini, it covers the whole body except for the feet, hands and face, allowing Muslim women to swim in public.

Zanetti said she has sold more than 9,000 Burkinis at $125 to $160 http://www.nbc11.com/news/10754064/detail.html
For pics, see here:
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...7&provider=top
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al_Imaan
01-18-2007, 03:43 PM
it is ugly...that's what I think of it....and it's not modest, I don't think it's appropriate at all
Reply

S_87
01-18-2007, 03:47 PM
:sl:

that thing is not appropriate to wear in a mixed environment. are they trying to say before this burqini muslim women never went swimming? :?
Reply

Umar001
01-18-2007, 03:50 PM
I still dont see how Men are allowed to go swimming where there are women, and men have less to cover then Women, so I really don't get how this works.

I saw similar to this a long time ago, I still don't get it.


Maybe this is pre mature, but I still dont see how it works, just watchin the video now, hmm.

Jus seen the video, May Allah reward the people for their ideas and trying to conform to Islam, I still think though that it doesn't fufill things propely, for example, the sister is showing her feet, and, her shape is kind of shown, when she runs am sure her body reveales shapes, I don't know, in honesty, I would not want my mum or sister or daughter wearing such a thing. Specially when it is not a neccesity.


Originally Posted by amani
:sl:

that thing is not appropriate to wear in a mixed environment. are they trying to say before this burqini muslim women never went swimming? :?
Wa Aleykum Salam,

Wait, how is it even possible for a man or woman to go swimming in a mixed place?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Al_Imaan
01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
^^I wish somone could tell these sisters that it's inappropriate....This is how some Muslims start turning away from Islam... using their freedom in wrong ways.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
01-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Well, I'm one who doesn't think it's inappropriate at all. I have some muslimah swimming gear from an american company - www.splashgearusa.com - and I love it. As I'm getting out of the water, I pull the shirt out, and poof, no sticking. The pants have a stiff cuff at the bottom, so they don't stick either, plus they have a pair that comes with a skirt for those who want more coverage.

I've gotten nothing but compliments from the other non muslim swimmers at the Y, and even a few telling me they wish they had more modest swimwear options. Dawah-licious!


I'm also planning on doing a blog entry on all the burqini news coverage this last week. It's everywhere! I'm so glad that the sister is doing good business. I was emailing with her awhile back, and things didn't sound too good then. I hope she starts listing her modest sportswear, because I could use some of that.
Reply

ZAYD
01-19-2007, 12:57 AM
that is soooooo lame
Reply

sevgi
01-19-2007, 01:15 AM
first i laughed..then i laughed some more. its sad.as if it doesnt stick to ur bod and allow ur figure to show.

i think only older women will go for it..its quite daggy,,,

ive also grown up in the 'aussie lyfstyle' but ive always found a way to swim....even at the beach.friends have pools, they have special 'women only' pool nights in some suburbs. and there are deserted parts of some beaches that u can go in freely.

but i guess if u wanna go and beome active on the high front of the aussie beaches like thta sis they quoted, then yeah...go burkini go!!!
Reply

ZAYD
01-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by sumeyye
but ive always found a way to swim....even at the beach.
Hope you dont mind me asking, but how???
Reply

*charisma*
01-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I personally wouldn't use it, and I don't see it any different than if you wore regular clothes and went swimming. The only difference is the burkini is conforming to one's body even before she goes swimming in it and its actually addressed to Muslimahs.

I think its only propaganda. It's just something to add a label to when you could wear something exactly the same for a cheaper price.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
Reply

sevgi
01-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by ash19
Hope you dont mind me asking, but how???
i already stated how in my post...

in some deserted areas in some beaches...its a bit of a drive though....
Reply

Umar001
01-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Anyhow, I just want to make my position clear, I think it is an amazing idea, but not a right one, may Allah reward those who are trying to provide such things, ameen, but I still dont think personally it is a cool thing. I can't see Maryam, wearing that and swimming in front of men, let alone in front tv cameras.

Originally Posted by Janaan
Well, I'm one who doesn't think it's inappropriate at all. I have some muslimah swimming gear from an american company - www.splashgearusa.com - and I love it. As I'm getting out of the water, I pull the shirt out, and poof, no sticking. The pants have a stiff cuff at the bottom, so they don't stick either, plus they have a pair that comes with a skirt for those who want more coverage.

I've gotten nothing but compliments from the other non muslim swimmers at the Y, and even a few telling me they wish they had more modest swimwear options. Dawah-licious!


I'm also planning on doing a blog entry on all the burqini news coverage this last week. It's everywhere! I'm so glad that the sister is doing good business. I was emailing with her awhile back, and things didn't sound too good then. I hope she starts listing her modest sportswear, because I could use some of that.
Assalamu Aleykum,

I just want you to realise that am just wondering and curious, am not condeming you or anything so dont please dont take it that way. Insha'Allah.

Do you feel that feet are allowed to be shown?
Also, when your underwater or swimming I am sure that you move your body in different ways, do you not feel that this will show shape?

And example is that for me, I might wear really baggy jogging trousers, which are fine if I just walk, but if I pray and bend over or stretch then it would show my shapes, this is what I mean by moving and swimming with the gear on, I have seen some of the pics from that website, an it seems like shapes can be seen when swimming.

Brother Eesa.
Reply

Malaikah
01-19-2007, 02:32 AM
:sl:

That is not appropriate at all! Its so tight on the legs! :X

That just totally defeats the purpose of hijab. It as if they just got one of those body suits profession swimmers wear and put a skirt on it. ^o)
Reply

Umar001
01-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

That is not appropriate at all! Its so tight on the legs! :X

That just totally defeats the purpose of hijab. It as if they just got one of those body suits profession[al] swimmers wear and put a skirt on it. ^o)
Lol Anyhow, Wallahi I am so happy the sisters here are not into this.

It seems that guys have kept away from the thread though, hmm, wonde why.
Reply

zanjabeela
01-19-2007, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by glo
What do people here make of the 'burkini'?
Is it a good idea?
Does it empower Muslim women to be more active in their community?
Is it not appropriate?
For pics, see here:
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...7&provider=top
:sl:
I have seen other examples of the "burkini" that were far more modest than these ones. Hmmmm, this really does not differ from a bodysuit: it still reveals the shape of the body. Her head is covered...but her body shows. Completely inappropriate.

As for the other burkini examples I have seen, such as this: http://www.ahiida.com/index.php?a=results&subcat=65...well, I still have complaints:
  • I think it needs to be significantly looser and longer. Great concept, but definitely needs some work for the modestly-inclined Muslim woman.
  • I don't know how swimming is really tied to female empowerment. :? I don't swim...and feel empowered enough. Unless your entire life is lived on the beach, I don't get the swimming == greater empowerment bit.
  • Appropriate? Well, its getting there...slowly. The pants are quite fitted, and top is not really long enough. And even if it were, I don't think swimming for Muslim women is appropriate in mixed company. Unless you're swimming with your sons, brothers, or husband, no matter what you wear, its rather out of the question for the modestly-inclined Muslimah.

My two cents worth. :)
Reply

Malaikah
01-19-2007, 03:50 AM
:sl:

^Well said sis. :)

Also, the head covering to pretty tight too... the scarf is meant to be drawn forward so it covers the chest area... this doesn't have that...:?
Reply

S_87
01-19-2007, 09:49 AM
:sl:

im sure those sisters know its nots appropriate. its like people who wear tight clothes with a scarf. they know its wrong, but they want to wear.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
01-19-2007, 09:55 AM
that is just haraami style :uuh:
Reply

skhalid
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
me dnt wear bikini lol
I wear a full swim suit...depends really..if its a place where there are only gyals...then it dont matter as much..bt if there are men there..me nvr go lol
I'd rather swim in my own bath hehehe just kiddin:-[
Reply

Malaikah
01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
:sl:

^If it's a girls only pool, make sure you don't wear shorts because you have to cover from the navel to the knee in front of women also. :)
Reply

skhalid
01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by zanjabeela
:sl:
I have seen other examples of the "burkini" that were far more modest than these ones. Hmmmm, this really does not differ from a bodysuit: it still reveals the shape of the body. Her head is covered...but her body shows. Completely inappropriate.
same..but I dnt wear my hijaab wen I go swimmin'...as long as there aint no men there...I nvr go swimmin @ beaches...coz u might have not noticed...if u wear normal clothes and go in the water..people can see just about everything :omg:
Reply

UmmSqueakster
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
[B]


[B]Assalamu Aleykum,

I just want you to realise that am just wondering and curious, am not condeming you or anything so dont please dont take it that way. Insha'Allah.

Do you feel that feet are allowed to be shown?
Also, when your underwater or swimming I am sure that you move your body in different ways, do you not feel that this will show shape?
Wa alaikum assalam,

I hold a position that it is ok for the feet to be uncovered. This is a position that has been held by some of the ulama of the past :)

No, I don't feel it shows my shape any more than my shape is shown when I'm running a 5k or lifting weights.

Hijab is my passport to the world, not a jail to keep me from it. I dress modestly so I am free to interact and participate.
Reply

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Hijab is my passport to the world, not a jail to keep me from it.
:salamext:

Forgive me sister, but i'm not sure if you've heard the hadith 'Ad-Dunya sijnul muslim, wa jannatul kaafir'. This world is a prison-house for the believers, and a paradise for the disbelievers.:)
As muslims we must refrain from certain things. It may be hard, but what kind of a test would it be otherwise?

Anyway I just wanted to add that. Please forgive me if I have offended you. (we've already pretty much settled this in the sisters section any way)
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 06:42 AM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 02:05 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!