/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My Visit to Mosque

brenton
01-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Every tourist city has trinket shops—places that gather together souvenirs from local woodcarvings to those ugly memorial t-shirts. Hidden beneath one of these souvenir shops in my hometown is a mosque. Obscure and unobtrusive, a computer printout is the only indication that beneath the city floor the nations gather to worship Allah and read the Qur’an.

I was invited by one of my customers, a scientist from Nigeria. He picked me up in his aged Toyota, along with another Nigerian and a Pakistani. We descended into the little mosque, removed our shoes, hung up our coats, and entered a large basement room with a close ceiling and industrial carpet. A floral curtain hung in the middle of the room, but there was no one behind it. Besides some bookshelves and large clock on the East wall, the only decorations were three plaques: one a golden depiction of the Mosque at Mecca, one the stone indicating the direction for prayer, and one I didn’t know.

We arrived at precisely 1:00, but there was nothing precise about the arrival of most of the worshippers. Some were there already, praying, reading the Qur’an in Arabic, or chatting quietly. Most of the early crowd was younger—some as young as high school and university age—and all were male. There was only one visibly “white-Canadian,” the first Muslim to evangelize me and a convert himself; most of them were made up of various Middle Eastern, African and Southeast Asian colours and accents. It was the first time since moving from Vancouver that I as a white-Canadian was in the minority.

While I sat barefoot and silent along the North wall, the most impressively bearded man began to sing. Soon after, the Imam, a volunteer, began to read a sermon in Arabic and heavily-accented English. It took me a minute to catch the rhythm of his voice, but soon I understood what was going on. He was talking about Hijrah. He spoke of the historical context of Hijrah, going into details about the Prophet’s experiences and the verses about jihad in Qur’an that occurred after Hijrah.

Then, without warning, he set his written script down, kneeled, and spoke in Arabic. Everyone said “Amen,” and then he stood again. He continued to speak of Hijrah, but this time it was more personal.

“Hijrah was a physical journey between two cities about 300 miles apart long before any of us was born,” he said. “But all of us can make Hijrah in our hearts.” He spoke of spiritual pilgrimage by moving from “sense to submission” and from “obedience to obedience to Allah.” He spoke quickly, but clearly, instructing his brothers on how to live as true Muslims today in their context.

The sermon was followed by liturgical prayer. With an innate sense of personal space, the men gathered in symmetrical lines, shoulder to shoulder. The prayer was sometimes call and response, with Arabic phrases leading toward intent “Amens.” Some closed their eyes, others whispered prayers throughout the liturgy, lifting their hands to the sky or to their ears. Silent prayer was accented by prostration and kneeling, a dance of posture that has echoed through generations of Muslims.

After the group prayer, the men scattered for a moment private prayer. Some grabbed their briefcases and shoes and quickly returned to work. Others lingered, shaking hands and giving a peace greeting. Because my friends were on their lunch, we moved out quickly, the Nigerians commenting on the snow and inviting me to return the next night for a discussion.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
brenton
01-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Thank you for approving my post.

netprince
01-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Very interesting narrative, any chance of you adding your thoughts on what you witnessed?

ehmad
01-21-2007, 12:33 AM
interesting, Did you find anything appealing towards the religion or has there been a better chance to understand on what the actual religion is based on i.e peace .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
brenton
01-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I should do that....
I got a really sense of history, of devotion. Some were quietly anxious I was there, others oblivious. I want to love the religion of Islam, but it is hard when I study all of the history. That is why I went to Mosque, to understand, to love.

I was struck at how "Asian" the prayers sounded, especially signing parts--like Japanese priests or Orthodox liturgy.

I also wondered where the women were. And I wondered how students go to mosque if they are at school.

I decided if I have a Muslim staff, I would give him/her the time needed on Friday.

Snowflake
01-25-2007, 12:53 AM
That was a very interesting read. Nicely written too.

May I ask which historical events in Islam do you find difficult to relate to?

brenton
01-26-2007, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
That was a very interesting read. Nicely written too.

May I ask which historical events in Islam do you find difficult to relate to?
Hi,
I'm kind of a pacifist, so "Holy War" is troublesome for me.

Malaikah
01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice post, very well written!

I was struck at how "Asian" the prayers sounded, especially signing parts--like Japanese priests or Orthodox liturgy.
Singing? Do you mean when they read the Quran??

We don't sing... but we recite the Quran in a nice style...

Muslim Woman
01-26-2007, 03:58 PM
I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

brenton : My Visit to Mosque

-----thanks for sharing ur experience with us :D

the most impressively bearded man began to sing

---hehe , it could not be sing a song…must be call to prayer.

brenton :I also wondered where the women were.

-normally , women pray separately in a different room or behind a curtain .....depends on what facility the mosque has. Some mosques unfortunately don't have seperate rooms for women.

I decided if I have a Muslim staff, I would give him/her the time needed on Friday.

--thank u bro :D

May God reward u for ur good intention.

"Holy War" is troublesome for me.
------------ U believe Prophet Muhammed (p) declared “ holy war ‘’ ( if really any such war was started by him ) to kill all non-Muslims ?

will u pl. discuss about it in related thread like WAR IN THE QUR'AN & other holy Books ?

WAR IN THE QUR'AN & other holy Books

'Abd al-Baari
01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
nice post brenton
thanks for sharing

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Wow, for a sec i thought it was a story someone wrote. Very detailed and well written! Could you tell us what u got out of it while u were there? :)

Abu Zakariya
01-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Beautifully written, I must say.

Sister Hoddan
01-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi,

I find it great that you took your time to visit a mosque and then share your experience with us. Hope it`s not the last time.

cihad
01-30-2007, 12:43 PM
yup it was really beautifully written thanks

brenton
02-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Thank you for the comments everyone.
I think I would prefer to go their discussion group next instead of Mosque. Unfortunately it is on Saturday nights, not a good night. We'll see.

Pk_#2
02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
^^ All the best :)

Visit other mosques!! :D in different towns...just a idea.

aamirsaab
02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
:sl:

Like others have stated, thank you for sharing your experience, I did enjoy reading about it.

I have a few questions if you do not mind answering.

1) Did you feel moved by the experience (mentally/spiritually)

2) How was it different to say a Christian sermon, or others that you may have experienced?

Good luck on your journey. May it be a pleasant one.

Muslim Woman
02-13-2007, 01:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aman4islam
:w:

Well I visited my local mosque twice also. The first time was on a thursday evening prayers and there were about 7 brothers. Second visit was even better, there were alot of brothers,it was on friday isha prayers. It was like a small family. when they heard me and my friend michael(christian) converted to islam, they were hugging and kissing us lol and we were like the superstars that day. I think there is more to write but very less time right now. I will finish it up when I come back from work Insh'Allah. Mosque is in little rock Arkansas.

Salaam/peace;

thanks for sharing. U may write ur revert to Islam story in the related thread :okay:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.