/* */

PDA

View Full Version : confused! :(

Malaikah
01-20-2007, 08:40 AM
:sl:

Ok, so I'm in second year optometry and I am thinking of changing my course to something else because in my profession I will be forced to work with male patients, touch their faces and put my own face like 2 cm away from theirs.+o( :exhausted

From what I understand, it is haram for women to treat male patient (and vice versa) unless there is an extreme and specific need to do so, such as there is no male doctor the male can go to so I have to treat him so he doesn't die or something.

Everyone is against me (relatives, that is). They ALL think that is permissible for women to treat men because treating people is a wonderful thing and that your intention is to help them and that doctor type people are given special leave from their lord to work with the opposite sex. I personally don't see how that is so.

Other arguments include:

- why don't you just drop out of uni, go get married and sit at home.:X

-God gave you a trust- he gave you the intellect to get good results and get into a course that not many people can achieve. You haven't got the right to say no, I don't want this honour, and to throw away the gift that God has given you. :rollseyes You can't just turn around and say to God, "I do not want your blessing".

-In addition to above, you went from a superior career (i.e. a career were you help people and people respect you) to something totally inferior (I am considering being a teacher inshaallah). Apparently teachers are looked down upon and not respected, the kids treat them like dirt, whereas everyone respects optometrists.

:cry:

I struck a deal with my uncle, he said he would take me to three scholars and if even one of them said it is haram then he will leave me to it and support me, inshaallah. But if they all say it is halal then I have to stay in my course. (I bumped the number up to three in case we got stuck with someone who said it was halal)

Need advice! Does anyone know of any scholarly position that supports what my relatives say?

Oh, and by the way, optometry was the only thing I ever wanted to study, and it kills me that I have to drop it. So it isn't like I am just trying to drop it because I do not like it or something.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AnonymousPoster
01-20-2007, 08:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
From what I understand, it is haram for women to treat male patient (and vice versa) unless there is an extreme and specific need to do so, such as there is no male doctor the male can go to so I have to treat him so he doesn't die or something.
yep ur right.

Allahu alam i asked sum1 abt this... they said perhaps you can run your own clinic where you hire out a male optom and redirect male patients to him and female patients to yourself (that way they cant say its discrimination coz you do it as an administrative routine..)

about the issue while your studying... i don't think im in a position to make fatwa, however.. there's 2 things.. perhaps you can ask islamqa or a proper scholar whether its halal to study under those conditions coz you're forced. and then when you're practising your field you can apply the adivse given in top paragraph?

secondly... if optometry is a necessity for Muslims (i.e. eye disease is wide spread somewhere for xample.. n not enough sisters out there to help) and you plan to go to one of those countries in need.. it may be OK if you're forced when ur studying.. since there's greater benefit to coem when you're practising in whatever country that desperately needs your skills (and you're able to practice in halal environment... e.g. 3rd world muslim country 4 axmple)

Everyone is against me (relatives, that is). They ALL think that is permissible for women to treat men because treating people is a wonderful thing and that your intention is to help them and that doctor type people are given special leave from their lord to work with the opposite sex. I personally don't see how that is so.
don't stress, didn't "they ALL think" that muhammad should quit his views because its a wonderful thing to keep makkah all united on same views they where blindly on... :)

you're in a position of power not weakness, and wallahi i can guarentee you they're looking at you with anger and ambivalence at you're courage to take a firm stand that most Muslims would chicken out from (very very very few Muslims hav the courage to do that mashalah, look around n u'll see) they don't even pretend to use an islamic excuse for the illegal professions they're in.

Other arguments include:

lol that's a sign you're on the right side.. how's that an argument :giggling:

as if marriage was for losers :enough!:
-God gave you a trust- he gave you the intellect to get good results and get into a course that not many people can achieve. You haven't got the right to say no, I don't want this honour, and to through away the gift that God has given you. :rollseyes
God gave us a trust and he set down the guidelines to fulfill this trust in.

Unless they can prove that your field is in dire need by Muslims, or they're hinting that you should use your knowledge in some super poor 3rd world country... then they havn't got any basis for their argument.

-In addition to above, you went from a superior career (i.e. a career were you help people and people respect you) to something totally inferior (I am considering being a teacher inshaallah). Apparently teachers are looked down upon and not respected, the kid treat them like dirt, whereas everyone respects optometrists.
How's teaching inferior? The generation of tomorrow depends on the teachers of today.

And if they judge superiority by dunya standards, then remember that the beggars and poor people of quraysh who became Muslims are much higher in Allah's eyes than the rich and elite of quraysh who refused Allahs orders.

Alhamdulilah in islam we only judge people by piety, not by profession, and people are only regarded as noble in their profession when their profession is used to obey Allah.

How is a job where you sin while you're working a form of honor?
i'll reply 2 the other bit below inshalha

glo
01-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Greetings, Malaikah

I am sorry to hear about the struggle you are going through.

I have to agree with those who say that being able to help others is something that God desires us to so, or even asks of us.
I am particularly struck by you saying how being an optometrist is all you have ever wanted to do. That sounds to me like that is God's calling on your life, and he has put that desire on your heart.
Personally I think denying and refusing a God-given gift is a real shame, if not even a sin
. :-[

But of course this is the perspective of a non-Muslim, and you will have to get Islamic advice elsewhere ...

Could you not wear gloves, when touching your patients' faces?

I hope you find a satisfactory solution, sister. :)

Peace

AnonymousPoster
01-20-2007, 08:58 AM

I struck a deal with my uncle, he said he would take me to three scholars and if even one of them said it is haram then he will leave me to it and support me, inshaallah. But if they all say it is halal hen I have to stay in my course. (I bumped the number up to three in case we got stuck with someone who said it was halal)
Just make it clear that scholars are not divine people. We respect them coz of their use of knowledge and putting it into practice.

If someone claims to be a scholar and makes up statements without proof, he's no different to any other layman.

So... unless he brings proof and can prove that it's fine to discard the rulign regarding inter-gender behaviour when it comes to professions which aren't in extreme cases. And if he can prove taht optometry is the only field where shaytan doesn't try make fitnah in... using quran and hadith... then we'll listen and obey.

Need advice! Does anyone know of any scholarly position that supports what my relatives say?
im sure there's a cave-load of them... whether they have proof or not is a diff story.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
01-20-2007, 08:59 AM
^ and finally

make dua and ask Allah for help, you're in a similar position to Musa and his people, Musa was worried as well, and he got even more worried when he saw the magicians..... in your case.. the scholars without evidence are the magicians trying to suck you in.

ws wr wb

AnonymousPoster
01-20-2007, 09:11 AM
PS: (ok lol this will b my final input!!)

i wasn't tryin 2 say ur wrong or nething in the first 2 or so paragraphs... they where just suggestions n i personally recomend it only if you're definately definately sure it's a viable solution, the prsn who sed that wasn't a doc so it could be illegal as well lol i dunno... if there's doubts, then better stay away inshalah and you'll never regret Allah being pleased with you :D

Malaikah
01-20-2007, 09:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I have to agree with those who say that being able to help others is something that God desires us to so, or even asks of us.
No doubt, it is for sure a wonderful thing to do. But to do it in a way that is against God's laws, then it becomes pointless.

I am particularly struck by you saying how being an optometrist is all you have ever wanted to do. That sounds to me like that is God's calling on your life, and he has put that desire on your heart.
Personally I think denying and refusing a God-given gift is a real shame, if not even a sin
. :-[
All I've ever wanted, well for a year and a half now, before that I didn't know what I wanted, and when I wanted to be an optometrist I never wanted anything else.

Alternatively, it could be that God is testing to see what I more beloved to me, obeying him, or following my desires and doing a job that I love and that gives me respect in this life, but disrespect in the hereafter.
Could you not wear gloves, when touching your patients' faces?
My lecturer suggested that too. :giggling: I don't think so, I mean, by that logic it would be ok to do almost anything with the opposite gender and long as you don't touch skin to skin... it doesn;t really work that way in Islam.:)

I hope you find a satisfactory solution, sister. :)
Thank you.

Malaikah
01-20-2007, 09:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
they where just suggestions n i personally recomend it only if you're definately definately sure it's a viable solution, the prsn who sed that wasn't a doc so it could be illegal as well lol i dunno...

If I do that, I would need A LOT of cash to rent out a piece of land, I would need a lot of business in order to have two optometrists working in the same place, I would also need to provide my patients with glasses options and stuff (again $$$), plus I would need to hire a secretary to handle the patients and take orders for glasses and deal with the non-optom and business side of things.

Plus I would have to be working full time if I run the place...

And then we need to assume that it is even legal to do that... and then I need to find an optometrist who is even willing to take such a job where he is going to have such a low number of patients and probably have a low pay...

Too complicated. :uuh:

Jazakallah khayr for your advice though. :thumbs_up

snakelegs
01-21-2007, 05:30 AM
hi,
i think i had an Intelligent Idea. actually 2 of them:
limit your practice to children. you could have all kinds of special child-proof decor, so it would be a fun place for kids to go to, even tho getting glasses is no fun.
i think you're in UK. if so, the muslim population is large enough that you could limit your practice to women (along with children). i am sure that a lot of muslim women would love to go to an optomotrist where they would have privacy and could see how they look when they try on glasses - both with hijab and without.
years ago, i read about an orthodox jew who started a women-only gym in jerusalem for orthodox women and it was very successful.
maybe you don't have to give up your dream after all.

lolwatever
01-21-2007, 05:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
hi,
i think i had an Intelligent Idea. actually 2 of them:
limit your practice to children. you could have all kinds of special child-proof decor, so it would be a fun place for kids to go to, even tho getting glasses is no fun.
i think you're in UK. if so, the muslim population is large enough that you could limit your practice to women (along with children). i am sure that a lot of muslim women would love to go to an optomotrist where they would have privacy and could see how they look when they try on glasses - both with hijab and without.
years ago, i read about an orthodox jew who started a women-only gym in jerusalem for orthodox women and it was very successful.
maybe you don't have to give up your dream after all.
but apaprently when it comse 2 med its illegal where malaikah livs :offended:

Malaikah
01-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks snakelegs,

The kids idea came to me too, but I just don't think there would be much work in restricting my practise only to kids...

Also, I don't live in the UK, but we have a large-ish Muslim population where I live, but even then it isn't enough for good business.

even tho getting glasses is no fun.
Getting glasses is fun! :mmokay: It is the best feeling to put on your glasses for the first time and look out the window into the parking lot and think 'wow is that what the world really looks like':statisfie

snakelegs
01-21-2007, 05:47 AM
(sigh) - another Brilliant Idea Flop.
not even with proper advertising/marketing and novel kiddie gimmicks?
i'm in u.s. when i went to school 102 years ago, optometrists used to come around to schools and check kids' eyes - don't know if they still do.
well, it's great to be able to see, but not fun to have to wear glasses for an active kid, tho i guess a lot of kids these days get contacts.
is there anything interesting about the process of making lenses? probably not, and it probably doesn't pay all that great either, but it's a thought. (note: not billed as Intelligent).

lolwatever
01-21-2007, 05:50 AM
(sigh) - another Brilliant Idea Flop.
not even with proper advertising/marketing and novel kiddie gimmicks?
i'm in u.s. when i went to school 102 years ago, optometrists used to come around to schools and check kids' eyes - don't know if they still do.
well, it's great to be able to see, but not fun to have to wear glasses for an active kid, tho i guess a lot of kids these days get contacts.
is there anything interesting about the process of making lenses? probably not, and it probably doesn't pay all that great either, but it's a thought. (note: not billed as Intelligent).
isn't that more to do with materials science/engineern tho :?

or do optoms do tht as well?

ps: :lol: @ the 102 years ago :D

snakelegs
01-21-2007, 06:02 AM
hmmmm....probably not. tonite is not my nite. :hiding:

Malaikah
01-21-2007, 08:55 AM

My uncle and dad took me to see some sheikhs today...

One of them said straight out its HALAL (^o)), the other one said it is haram but the Muslims need Muslim female doctors, and to wear gloves if I have to see male patients and leave the door a tiny bit open so we aren't *totally* alone in the semi-dark room... and then when I can, open up my own practise and transfer all male patients to him/her...

Inshaallah tomorrow I'm going to see one more sheikh, hopefully he will have a more convincing answer...

snakelegs
01-21-2007, 09:05 AM
i hope a way will be found that you can follow your dream.

AnonymousPoster
01-21-2007, 09:11 AM

My uncle and dad took me to see some sheikhs today...

One of them said straight out its HALAL (^o)), the other one said it is haram but the Muslims need Muslim female doctors, and to wear gloves if I have to see male patients and to leave the door a tiny bit open so we aren't *totally* alone in the semi-dark room... and then when I can, open up my own practise and transfer all male patients to him/her...

Inshaallah tomorrow I'm going to see one more sheikh, hopefully he will have a more convincing answer...
lol... man srsly who cares if the door is closed or open ... the point is shaytan is good at stirring things up. i'm not claiming to make an answr, but i can definately say that's not a valid answer.

n Muslims defiantely need professional/educated/well-suited educationists more than they do optometrists. It's perfectly fine for muslimah to visit a non Muslim female optom... whereas the issue is more sensitiv when it comes to specific non-eye related medical issues.

they're making fatawa to save themselvse from your uncles anger... that's wat it seems to be.

that tiny door open thing is a joke tho lol... srsly...

Malaikah
01-21-2007, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
lol... man srsly who cares if the door is closed or open ... the point is shaytan is good at stirring things up. i'm not claiming to make an answr, but i can definately say that's not a valid answer.

That's what I thought exactly.
n Muslims defiantely need professional/educated/well-suited educationists more than they do optometrists. It's perfectly fine for muslimah to visit a non Muslim female optom... whereas the issue is more sensitiv when it comes to specific non-eye related medical issues.
Yeh that is sooo true.
they're making fatawa to save themselvse from your uncles anger... that's wat it seems to be.
Nah my uncle was never angry, just upset. Plus he wasn't bias at all when he explained it to the sheikh... the sheikh even said that if he had a daughter he would love if she did optometry.

Well I just hope Allah gets me a sheikh who will say straight out that it is haram so I can at least tell anyone who bugs me about it that sheikh so and so said it is haram and that I'm not just following my own opinions...

Oh, btw, the sheikh recommended I try ask Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi, I tried to ask a question on his website but I can't get one in!! Anyway, is he any good?:?

My uncle seems to be avoided any sheikhs who are 'salafi-ish'...:X

i hope a way will be found that you can follow your dream.
hehe thanks, but to be honest, even though I was devastated at the start, I'm kinda over it, the alternative is cool it self and easier for me and more beneficial also, I mean, the optometry course is really full-on and hard... science/teaching is way easier alhamdulilah... (and a year shorter too)

Muslim Woman
01-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

Ok, so I'm in second year optometry and I am thinking of changing my course to something else because in my profession I will be forced to work with male patients, touch their faces and put my own face like 2 cm away from theirs.+o( :exhausted

Other arguments include:

-God gave you a trust- he gave you the intellect to get good results and get into a course that not many people can achieve. You haven't got the right to say no, I don't want this honour, and to throw away the gift that God has given you. :rollseyes You can't just turn around and say to God, "I do not want your blessing".

-In addition to above, you went from a superior career (i.e. a career were you help people and people respect you) to something totally inferior (I am considering being a teacher inshaallah). Apparently teachers are looked down upon and not respected, the kids treat them like dirt, whereas everyone respects optometrists.

I struck a deal with my uncle, he said he would take me to three scholars and if even one of them said it is haram then he will leave me to it and support me, inshaallah. But if they all say it is halal then I have to stay in my course. (I bumped the number up to three in case we got stuck with someone who said it was halal)

Oh, and by the way, optometry was the only thing I ever wanted to study, and it kills me that I have to drop it. So it isn't like I am just trying to drop it because I do not like it or something.

----pl. sis , offer Ishthekhara prayer before taking any imp decision. May Allah grant u what is good for u , Ameen.

zircon
01-21-2007, 10:23 AM
May Allah make it easy inshaAllah. I agree with Muslim Woman.. istikhara :)

umm-sulaim
01-21-2007, 11:03 AM

hehe thanks, but to be honest, even though I was devastated at the start, I'm kinda over it, the alternative is cool it self and easier for me and more beneficial also, I mean, the optometry course is really full-on and hard... science/teaching is way easier alhamdulilah... (and a year shorter too)
lolz Alhamdulillah sis, Allah won't waste your efforts baaraka Allah in your studies

wassalaam

Malaikah
01-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Jazakum allah khayr! :D

I prayed istikhara pretty early on, alhamdulilah... When I prayed it I was really confused about what to do- I knew I had to drop my course but I had no idea where I could go from there. Now I got everything planned alhamdulilah, the rest is up to Allah. :D

umm-sulaim, thanks, the coolest thing is that 1st year optometry is basically just normal science subjects, which means if I transfer to science I go straight to second year, so I won't end up actually wasting anything! :D

umm-sulaim
01-21-2007, 11:30 AM
oh wow!! masha Allah i'm really happy for you sis! Alhamdulillah ey... :D:D n thas exactly what you wanted innit, to continue!

(wa iyyaki) All the best...

wassalaam

S_87
01-21-2007, 11:43 AM

i dont know how its like down your side but in uk you can request to be a woman only whatever whether thats doctor (gp)/dentist/optometrist etc. umm could you not try that? :?
when your actually training though you dont get that choice :X

Malaikah
01-21-2007, 11:49 AM

No way!:eek: Man, that is so cool!

So how come it is *unethical* to do it where I live but not in the UK. :mmokay: What a cheap system, it is based on nothing solid.

Oh well. :)

Malaikah
01-21-2007, 01:08 PM

By the way, does anyone here actually think that gloves make a difference? I personally don't...:rollseyes

lolwatever
01-21-2007, 01:10 PM

By the way, does anyone here actually think that gloves make a difference? I personally don't...:rollseyes
lol there's 4 other senses that shaytan can use 2 his advantage :offended:

seeker_of_ilm
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM

Personally, I don't think gloves would make a blind bit of difference. Whether the gloves are on or off, you'd still be touching a non-mahram man.

:w:

Umar001
01-21-2007, 02:06 PM
If I am allowed I'm just going to drop some stuff.

I think maybe finishing the course, so at least you have the qualifications, then marriage or even marriage while your doing the course, then at least you'd list have the qualifications.

Maybe you could work in a place and speak to the people on top and tell them that you can only work with females, or maybe you can move countries to somewhere where they would understand your position? Again you have to remember that the obligation of bringing money is upon your husband, so you insha'Allah will be able to afford turning down male clients based on this.

The teaching thing, I think that's an amazing thing, because think about it fundamentally, in one job you help a person out for a short while, you might not see them much again, its only a small time to make an impact on them, as a teacher you'd be able to teach children, to help them understand the right from wrong and to be able to be someone for them to look upto and turn to you if they need help, though I would personally encourage you to work with really young kids, to avoid any type of 'boy attention'

Anyhow, mashaAllah it seems like Allah has given you a good chance for education, I hope you make the most of it either way.

Malaikah
01-22-2007, 04:32 AM

^Jazakallah khayr. You're right- it up to my husband to make the cash. Optometrists make way more than teachers, but I really couldn't care less about that. But I don't want to take the risk, do the course, and then not find any work because no one wants to hire someone who won't take all the patients.

Inshaallah I'm just going to do science and turn a deaf ear on everyone who insists that it is halal and thinks I'm nuts. They'll get over it.

Malaikah
01-22-2007, 10:21 AM

I don't get it man! Five sheikhs all said it is halal!:heated:

Who do I trust?!:offended:

glo
01-22-2007, 10:29 AM

You prayed istikhara - following which 5 sheiks told you that it was halal. Does that not mean that this is from Allah, and you should follow the advice?
You agreed to listen to the advice of the sheiks and scholars, but it seems to me that in your hearts of hearts you have already made up your mind:
You feel that it is inappropriate for you to practice as an optometrists - regardless of what the scholars say ...

Perhaps you feel that giving up your dream would be your sacrifice to Allah?

I would still advise you to think carefully before throwing away the gifts Allah has given you - especially when you are told that it is Islamically halal.

But, of course, the decision is yours alone.
Who should you trust? Perhaps you should trust yourself, sister! :)

peace

Umar001
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM

Wa Aleykum Salam,

Well if the people that were asked are in your understanding trustworthy, then follow their opinion insha'Allah.

sevgi
01-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Teaching is not inferior!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is the most sacred job of all...hey i know that the kids treat u like crap(especially in australia sis i feel ur pain)...but ur educating them for gods sake. they will realise one day!!!!

i got a really good uai( melb eqiv VCE) n i could have done really superior courses...but i realised how important teachers like u n me were for todays generation of muslims and non muslims. its very appropriate for women and isnt too demanding. and u'll be needed everywhere and forever.u could go on n do ur phd n become a lot more than just a highschool teacher...thats wat im aiming at inshallah (duas people)...

think about it...our prophet (saw) was a muallim.they all were. his 'students' traeted him like crap too...but he was doing it for Allah...n we should be able to turn any job into Allahs work inshallah as long as it is halal.

i dnt know if its wrong for u to do optometry but i know theres a lot of positives of eduaction...maybe finish it n move onto masters of education.:)do some reaserch.

all i know is that wen i went to a male optometrist...he was all in my face n i was really uncomfortable...n i know u wont be either...n maybe ur future hubby wont like it...

sis...move on to bsci...them medu...but thats my viewpoint..."listen to ur conscience...its ur direct 24hour phone line with Allah"...

tc.
salaamz.:)

aamirsaab
01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
This is really all the advice I can give:

Halaal means it is permissable, it doesn't mean compulsary. At the end of the day, you decide which path you walk. If you feel inside you that you don't want to walk a certain path, even though it is permissable to walk it, then there is no wrong in doing so.

Ultimately, it comes down to you.

netprince
01-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Either you carry on with the course as many shiekhs have told you its permissible.

...or you continue asking until you find one that says what you want to hear, which i am certain will happen if you carry on asking long enough.....

......Reading this thread it looks like you dont want to do the course and permissibility has little to do with it, if this is really the case then you should speak to your family and explain the reasons why you dont want to do optometry and why you want to do whichever course you want to do. I am sure they will understand your decision.

May Allah(SWT) grant you success with whichever course you decide to do.

lolwatever
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
what was their evidence? that's what you trust!

I'm pretty sure you know the answer :)

Malaikah
01-22-2007, 01:03 PM

Success! I found a sheikh who said it is haram!:statisfie

Now, they are going to call him a 'salafi', an 'extremist', but who cares at least I got back up. :D Alhamdulilah!

AnonymousPoster
01-22-2007, 01:09 PM

Success! I found a sheikh who said it is haram!:statisfie

Now, they are going to call him a 'salafi', an 'extremist', but who cares at least I got back up. :D Alhamdulilah!
oh that reminds me... remember in time of Imam Ahmad... he was sooo in your situation.

ALL the sheikhs said that he had to agree that the quran was a creation and not the words of Allah. and he had no support, and sheikhs muchhh more knowledgeable than him (infact his own teacher, yahya ibn ma'3ieen) went against him.

but today look who we respcet ;)

:w: :D

hidaayah
01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
:salamext:

Al-Nawwas bin Sam'an, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:

"Righteousness is good character, and sin is that which wavers in your heart and which you do not want people to know about."

[Muslim]

According to Wabisah bin Ma'bad, radiyallahu 'anhu, who said:

I came to the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, and he said: "You have come to ask about righteousness ?" " Yes," I answered. He said: "Consult your heart. Righteousness is that about which the soul feels tranquil and the heart feels tranquil, and sin is what creates restlessness in the soul and moves to and fro in the breast, even though people give you their opinion (in your favour) and continue to do so."

[A good hadith transmitted from the Musnads of the two Imams, Ahmad bin Hanbal and Al-Darimi]

IbnAbdulHakim
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
quote:

why don't you just drop out of uni, go get married and sit at home.

lolwatever
01-23-2007, 06:18 AM
^ lol wat u mean bro? just coz she dropped optom shouldnt mean she should drop uni :offended: there's alotttttttttttttttttttt of things 4her to choose from tht are important (almost obligatory) for her 2 do to help Muslims out...

*btw just incse you accidnetly quoted without putting ur reply.. my sincere apologise 4 misundersatnding!*

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
quote:

umm what are you trying to say?:?

Snowflake
01-23-2007, 09:23 AM
quote:

bro, we need to go forwards - not backwards. It isn't haram to get an education and benefit others from it u know. :confused:

Malaikah sis, I glad u got it all planned now. :thumbs-up

May Allah grant you great success in your chosen career. Ameen. :)

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 09:31 AM

^Thanks. :)

I think IbnAbdulHakim was just quoting a part of my post, allahu a3lam what point he is trying to make though.

Musalmaan
01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
quote:

LOL. :D the funniest post so far.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM

^Thanks. :)

I think IbnAbdulHakim was just quoting a part of my post, allahu a3lam what point he is trying to make though.
it just sounded fun lol,

inshaAllaah you will find a job your comfy with, Alhamdulillaah Allaah blessed us with big big brains and we can use them for all different kinds of things. lets just find something which we feel certain will please Allaah eh :D

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM

it just sounded fun lol,

inshaAllaah you will find a job your comfy with, Alhamdulillaah Allaah blessed us with big big brains and we can use them for all different kinds of things. lets just find something which we feel certain will please Allaah eh :D
Jazakallah khayr. Alhamdulilah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Musalmaan
LOL. :D the funniest post so far.
It sure isn't funny when it happens in real life...:rolleyes:

Malaikah
01-29-2007, 01:57 AM

Please make dua for me that my university accepts me in to another course this year- if they say it is too late and they make me wait until next year, everyone is gonna freak out (at me!). imsad

lolwatever
01-29-2007, 03:33 AM

Please make dua for me that my university accepts me in to another course this year- if they say it is too late and they make me wait until next year, everyone is gonna freak out (at me!). imsad
May allah make it easy for you ameen!!!!!!!!!

Be patient inshalah, as you can see tests last for a period of time, it feels like the end of hte world when you're going through it, but after people get over it, you feel happy that you kept firm and won in this life and hereafter :)

tc :w:

zanjabeela
01-29-2007, 05:26 AM
InshaAllah, your uni will be cooperative, sis. Stay strong, and ever hopeful! Will defo be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, inshaAllah.

Malaikah
01-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Jazakum allah khayr. :)

Abu GG
01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm doing Optometry 3rd year and there's two niqaabis on the course. One was gonna drop out cause of the freemixing at uni but duno what happened and she ended up back in uni.. If I could get you in touch with them so they could explain their rationale I would've done BUT I don't talk to em :)

Here in the UK there are other opportunities for optometrists. There is the entire NHS Market which you can go into - testing over 60s and kids for examples.

Check out www.MuslimOptician.net
I'm sure there should be some sister optometrists you can contact and discuss the situation with

-Abu GG

anonymous
01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
omg i nearly die of embaraasment wen an opticianist guy cums so close up 2 me urghhhhh

seeker_of_ilm
01-29-2007, 08:11 PM

May Allah make it easy for you insha'Allah

FBI
01-29-2007, 08:15 PM

Just go one the dole and sit off for a year :D

IbnAbdulHakim
01-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Ameen to the dua's :)

snakelegs
01-30-2007, 01:18 AM
malaikah,
do you know yet what field you are going to choose?
well, whatever you choose - best of luck!

Malaikah
01-30-2007, 07:23 AM
^Yeh, I'm going to be a high school teacher inshaallah. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
omg i nearly die of embaraasment wen an opticianist guy cums so close up 2 me urghhhhh

LOL! Yeh, exactly, now imagine doing that as a job!!:offended:

NiceGuy1987
01-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Basicly what ever decision you choose it is up to you, whether your family agrees with you or not. or whether u get called silly names, ******/ salafi etc.

As you have asked the people of knowledge 5 of them said it is halal and 1 said it is haram then it is up to you. and at the end Allah knows best anywayz

NiceGuy1987
01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
p.s i forgot for those sheikhs to say its halal ask them for proof inshallah and also for the one who said its haram ask him and spread the evidence out and then follow what ur heart says and inshallah u will make the right decision

learningislam
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Sister Malaikah..... so you have decided to be a high school teacher.........MashaAllah.
may Allah put lots of barakah in what you do (ameen).

:wasalamex

Malaikah
02-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Jazakillah khayr! :)

Malaikah
02-08-2007, 03:04 AM

I got accepted! Alhamdulillah!!! :D:D:shade:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-08-2007, 03:11 AM
MashAllah thats great! Alhumdulillah!
May Allah(swt) give u success sis, InshAllah. Ameen!

snakelegs
02-08-2007, 04:20 AM
congratulations! i think you'll make a good teacher.

lolwatever
02-08-2007, 07:18 AM

I got accepted! Alhamdulillah!!! :D:D:shade:
mabrook! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.