/* */

PDA

View Full Version : First issue of Muslim Girl Magazine out in the U.S.

sonz
01-21-2007, 09:09 AM
A new magazine called Muslim Girl has been launched this month, giving over 400,000 teen-aged Muslim girls in the United States the chance for the first time to be a cover girl.

"The girls are eager to have their stories told," said Ausma Khan, editor of Muslim Girl Magazine, in an interview on Friday.

"There is information for every group," said Khan. "Our community is definitely underserved."

The Magazine has issued 25,000-copies and expects its circulation to be four times that in two years.

Wardah Chaudhary, a 16-year old Muslim girl from Tulsa, Oklahoma, was the magazine’s first cover girl.

Those interested to become the cover girl of the magazine’s upcoming issues can log on to the magazine’s website http://www.muslimgirlmagazine.com.

"One thing I know for sure is that I am not behind in anything just because I wear Hijab," Chaudhary, who appeared on the magazine's cover wearing a red and white head covering, with tiny red, white and blue stars on her right cheeks, said in her essay referring to her style of Hijab. "To all the girls that are reading this, I want them to know to be proud of who you are."

The magazine’s initial copies were mainly distributed in areas known to have large Muslim populations, including New York; Jersey City, New Jersey; Dearborn, Michigan; Chicago, Los Angeles and areas of Texas.

But ExecuGo Media in Toronto, the publisher, plans to also distribute the magazine in Ontario and Toronto, said Khan, who is a lawyer and writer.

A survey done for the magazine found out that Muslim girls like to watch television, read teen magazines, surf the Internet, like YouTube.com, and enjoy video games.

Girls also like to shop and hang out a lot, the survey found.

The Magazine’s Press Release:

American teen Muslim girls are much like teen girls everywhere – so says a recent nationwide study of Muslim girls aged 14-18 years. The study was conducted on behalf of Muslim Girl Magazine, a new bi-monthly glossy magazine launched this month to give 400,000 American Muslim teen girls a lively and uniquely relevant perspective on contemporary living.

"Our study showed that these girls go to public school, watch a little too much television, read teen magazines, surf the Internet, use Google, enjoy YouTube, play video games, shop a lot, talk on the telephone and spend time just hanging out," says Faye Kennedy, VP at execuGo Media, the publisher that commissioned the study. "In short, they are pretty much like most other American teenagers." The study also highlighted some likely differences: for example, they socialize at IslamiCity and count among their top hobbies, Qur'an study.

The research confirmed Kennedy's hunch: teen Muslim girls in America would love a lifestyle magazine that does what no other teen girl magazine has done for them – give them a means of enjoying contemporary life within the values they love. Over 90% of the panel, when shown the initial concept, indicated that they liked it, thought it was what they need, would read it and would recommend it to their friends.

Ausma Khan, PhD, writer, human rights lawyer and activist, liked the concept so much that she left a teaching position at Northwestern University to become Editor in Chief. "Most representations of Muslims in the media are negative," she says. "Muslim Girl Magazine challenges those perceptions by telling the stories of Muslim teens who are proud to be American and who contribute to American society in so many positive ways. This is a chance for their voices to be heard. Our editorial mandate is to 'enlighten, celebrate and inspire' them."

Challenging stereotypes about Muslim girls in America, Muslim Girl Magazine re-defines the face of Muslim youth in America. Its innovative content showcases teen girls who are equally proud of their identity as Americans and Muslims, while not shying away from the conflict inherent in being both. It also shakes up the complacency of Muslims themselves by emphasizing the diversity of practice within American Muslim communities, typically a no-go area.

The premiere issue of the magazine features girls who have joined the Peace Corps and volunteered in Indonesia. Advice columns tackle everything from boyfriends to divorced parents to anti-Muslim discrimination. Regular departments range from Qur'an Notes to Hot List reviews of TV shows like The CW Television Network's 'Gilmore Girls.' And a special feature on the hit show '24' directly confronts the biggest elephant in the room—the association of Muslims with terrorism.

Khan says, "We're showing hijab-wearing basketball players alongside contemporary fashion designers and artists. We want to dispel the notion that Muslim teens conform to one particular model. Veiled or unveiled, Muslim girls participate fearlessly in sports, the arts, international travel and their local mosques."

Muslim Girl Magazine launched with a planned circulation of 50,000 copies per issue in the first year and expects to grow to 100,000 within two years. Dianna Hightower, Publisher and Director of Business Development and Advertising, expects advertising to grow quickly. "Today the Muslim market is where the Hispanic market was five years ago — on the verge of a major breakout. Households of Muslim girls comprise a valuable commercial profile with higher than average scores on income, education, occupation and size. Having Fox Broadcasting and Oxford University Press advertise in our first issue is evidence that prestigious and smart advertisers see strong potential."

Muslim Girl Magazine is published by award-winning execuGo Media of Toronto, Canada and distributed worldwide by RCS of Los Angeles, California. The cover price is $4.95 US ($5.95 CDN). The annual subscription rate is $19.99 at www.muslimgirlmagazine.com.

-- AJP and Agencies

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Is this magazine controversial in any way?

Umar001
01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Is this magazine controversial in any way?

Well I've just looked at the website, to me, it doesn't look promising.

:laugh: :laugh:

Wallahi I dont know what to do, why, why people try to be something they dont need to be.

Another magazine which makes me realise how upset I should be, subhanAllah, at times like these death seems so simple.

(am not indorsing killing of any sort meant my own death lol)

Al_Imaan
01-21-2007, 07:24 PM
^^that's what my dad says....it has a section for the "hot list"?.....weird

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skillganon
01-21-2007, 07:27 PM
I concur with Habeshi and Al-Imaan.

KAding
01-21-2007, 07:40 PM
But then again, I don't think people on this forum are representative for the average Muslim woman in the West? Most Muslim women I see in Amsterdam don't even wear a hijab for example. Yet, these are also Muslims and they might be interested in what it written in it.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 07:44 PM
islam is perfect, it needs no modernising or "styling out". Its absolutely beautiful in its simplicity !!!!! and im very... umm.. how do i say it nicely? unhappy with this!!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
01-21-2007, 07:45 PM
As the world changes, just as we use the internet, magazines should also be used to spread dawwah.

Al_Imaan
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM
islam is perfect, in needs no modernising or "styling out". Its absolutely beautiful in its simplicity !!!!! and im very... umm.. how do i say it nicely? unhappy with this!!

so am i....i guess people think that by doing this....they can give a new face to Islam?....^^even these magazines may change over time into something that's not beneficial for us Muslims...or Islam...

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
As the world changes, just as we use the internet, magazines should also be used to spread dawwah.
yes within the boundaries of the shariah, sadly this magazine certainly transgresses :(

KAding
01-21-2007, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
islam is perfect, it needs no modernising or "styling out". Its absolutely beautiful in its simplicity !!!!! and im very... umm.. how do i say it nicely? unhappy with this!!
Well, sure. But these Muslims also believe they follow Islam and are...Muslims. It is naive to think there is only one view of what Islam is about. Islam might be perfect, but humans are not of one view how to interpret it.

Muezzin
01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
I can't really judge this magazine as I've never read it. Seeing as it's basically a woman's magazine, there's no reason for me to read it in the first place. :p

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Well, sure. But these Muslims also believe they follow Islam and are...Muslims. It is naive to think there is only one view of what Islam is about. Islam might be perfect, but humans are not of one view how to interpret it.
they can easily be refuted with hands tied behind backs but theres no shariah enforced legal system to judge. Without a doubt this is wrong...

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I can't really judge this magazine as I've never read it. Seeing as it's basically a woman's magazine, there's no reason for me to read it in the first place. :p
what about the fact that its displayed publicly for every man wether muslim or not to see?

The Ruler
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
:sl:

im going to puke...you know...sometimes this makes me think...muslim girls on the front page of a magazine...could that not give people stupid ideas like islam doesnt require women to wear a niqaab...and also those who are trying to follow their deen properly, calling them extremists?...i hope i made sense *sigh*

:w:

rubiesand
01-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I hope they do well. If my daughter was a bit older I would get this magazine for her.

Skillganon
01-21-2007, 08:34 PM
It is against muslim to give an impression of Islam other than what is given in the Quran and the sunnah. It is not for us to follow Islam as our whim and desire goes.

I am not against Muslimah magazine, I think it is a great Idea, aslong as it is accordance with Islam.
I have not read the content but as far as I can see (i.e. The Hot List) it is going in the wrong direction.

Umar001
01-21-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
I hope they do well. If my daughter was a bit older I would get this magazine for her.
Assalamu Aleykum Sister,

Just for the record, what's your view on pluckin the eye brows? Also wearing make up and so forth?

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
But then again, I don't think people on this forum are representative for the average Muslim woman in the West? Most Muslim women I see in Amsterdam don't even wear a hijab for example. Yet, these are also Muslims and they might be interested in what it written in it.

Yep, I know alot of muslims who dont wear hijab, or those who shave, I dont think or see them as being much interested in Islamic forums.

Fair point though, a point that kinda emphesises why am upset lol

minaz
01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Yep, I know alot of muslims who dont wear hijab, or those who shave,
Shave???????????????

Anyway, I havn't read this magazine, don't know the background of its founding, but i do know they're main objective is likely to make as much money as possible!

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
Shave???????????????
talkin about the bros dude :)

Lina
01-21-2007, 09:36 PM

A covergirl? Are u kidding me?

AHMED_GUREY
01-21-2007, 10:23 PM
i really don't know what to say about this since i have no idea what there highlighting or discussing in that magazine, one part of me tells me this is a good thing cause there is a significant number of children from muslim parents in the west that emulate Beyonce or Britney Spears etc etc because they don't feel like they have their own identity so therefore copy celebrities this magazine if it gets popular with the youth in muslim communities might change this

Then there is the part that tells me this is simply done for commercial gain and the things that are going to be discussed are unappropiate.

strider
01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+

im going to puke...you know...sometimes this makes me think...muslim girls on the front page of a magazine...could that not give people stupid ideas like islam doesnt require women to wear a niqaab...and also those who are trying to follow their deen properly, calling them extremists?...i hope i made sense *sigh*

Well, there is a difference of opinion on whether the Niqab is compulsory or not.

But why on earth are they covering mainstream TV shows such as Smallville and Veronica Mars, though? They are full of un-islamic values.

Skillganon
01-21-2007, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
i really don't know what to say about this since i have no idea what there highlighting or discussing in that magazine, one part of me tells me this is a good thing cause there is a significant number of children from muslim parents in the west that emulate Beyonce or Britney Spears etc etc because they don't feel like they have their own identity so therefore copy celebrities this magazine if it gets popular with the youth in muslim communities might change this

Then there is the part that tells me this is simply done for commercial gain and the things that are going to be discussed are unappropiate.
I concur as much, we have to wait and see which direction it is moving and if it is going in the opposite direction than it raises a few concern.

aamirsaab
01-21-2007, 10:47 PM

It's a teen-girl mag for muslim girls....Astagfirulah, the shame.

Keltoi
01-22-2007, 03:49 AM
It is just a magazine targeted at a particular segment of society. Some people will like it, some will not. I'm sure many American Muslim girls would appreciate a magazine that reflects their values and world view. As long as it is done in a tasteful manner I don't really see how it could "corrupt" them or anything like that. Unless they start putting Britney Spears album ads inside the magazine or something.

Muezzin
01-22-2007, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
what about the fact that its displayed publicly for every man wether muslim or not to see?
What kind of men linger near the teenage girls' magazine racks?

I'm not sure if it will have that sort of distribution come to think of it.

guyabano
01-23-2007, 09:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi

Yep, I know alot of muslims who dont wear hijab, or those who shave, I dont think or see them as being much interested in Islamic forums.

You know girls who shave? LOL ! Shame on you ! Hahahaha :D

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 09:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Unless they start putting Britney Spears album ads inside the magazine or something.
You must have missed this part then:

Find out what's hot and what's not in music, books, film and television. With Lupe Fiasco, Gilmore Girls, Smallville, Veronica Mars and more...
:offended: :uuh:

Relationship blues getting you down? Wajeda Shaikh comes up with creative solutions.
What kind of relationships?! Please someone tell me they are talking about best friends and the like!:offended: :eek:

Skywalker
01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm not very enthusiastic about it either...at least for now. The fact that it talks about things with "Americal values" as normal in a Muslim's life can be seen as encouraging Muslims to think that watching or doing these things is ok when it's actually not. So I'm a little skeptical about it being a positive influence on young Muslims.

Also, if it's just another way of trying to bridge the gap between Islam and the West, it's a good motive, but the method should never include foresaking your values and trying to show someone that you're something that you're not.

On the other hand though, this magazine could be taking the first step in in the right direction...but that is yet to be seen, that's why I said that I wasn't very encouraged for now. What this magazine might do after a little while is to start curving slowly towards Islamic values. It might've just started this way in order to gain popularity and catch the attention of Muslim and non-Muslim readers alike, and will start to slowly decrease content with American values and increase that of Islamic values, and very subtly so that it seems natural.

Everything will be apparent in due time...

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 10:16 AM

I wonder if they have a section about misconceptions about Muslim women. That would actually be really cool, especially if they have like support from the quran and hadith.

akulion
01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Shameful!!

I wonder how the siblings and parents of those 'muslimahs' feel that 10000 strange non mahram men must be staring at them..

truly shameful

E'jaazi
01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
It's Haram!

Lina
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM

Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion. Say: "The Guidance of Allah,-that is the (only) Guidance." Wert thou to follow their desires after the knowledge which hath reached thee, then wouldst thou find neither Protector nor helper against Allah. (Qur'an 2:120)

I guess we'll always be strangers to them, let us not be strangers to Allah subhana wa ta'la.

akulion
01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
just for reference i dont like those magazines either with bros posing on the cover like some group like 'back street boyz' etc etc and the magizine is called 'al muslim' or something along the lines

its terrible tsk tsk

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 10:44 AM
^Is that real, or a theoretical? :?

Lina
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Are there really backstreet boyzish muslim magazines out there?

I dunno!

akulion
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Well I havent seen magazines but I often see pictures of nasheed groups posing and stuff its really weird

especially no beards, no islamic gear on and singing about islam and how its so wonderful just makes you wana slap your forehead

not to say i am any better but just really atleast grow a beard is what i always think

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
especially no beards, no islamic gear on and singing about islam and how its so wonderful just makes you wana slap your forehead

You forgot to mention the music/rapping/beat boxing in the back ground...:offended:

akulion
01-23-2007, 10:58 AM
and not to mention the usage of slang on forum systems
lol just HAD to put that in

IbnAbdulHakim
01-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Well I havent seen magazines but I often see pictures of nasheed groups posing and stuff its really weird

not to say i am any better but just really atleast grow a beard is what i always think
lol :) fundamentals :D

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
and not to mention the usage of slang on forum systems
lol just HAD to put that in
All right lets not get too excited here. :mmokay:

Perhaps some good will come out of this magazine... maybe some of the sisters here who live in the US can hijack... and make me the new editor. :shade: lol

akulion
01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I doubt it
It may just mislead younger muslim women into thinking its ok to show themselves off all donned with makeup

and then next we know they want to be on the cover

and then brother al-kufr launches a new magazine called 'muslimahs style' with women posing in latest clothes on the cover

next we know there is a magaine called 'muslimah beach wear'

and the it goes on and on

We must study the past to learn from the mistakes of others.....how do you thik conservative christian society became so horribly unchristian?

simply because they kept allowing 1 thing in after the other letting it pass away as 'innocent'..before they knew it larry flynt was putting their daughters sisters and mothers in a nude magazine

so wrong only leads to more wrong...

Malaikah
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Read my post man, some good can come out of it... changes need to be made that's all:

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Perhaps some good will come out of this magazine... maybe some of the sisters here who live in the US can hijack... and make me the new editor. :shade: lol

Zulkiflim
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Salaam,

Yet another step by western muslim to be integrated into mainstream western society.

They are slowly being coached thru laws and community pressure to be MODERATE MUSLIMS..

May Allah give them what they deserve,Inshallah..

akulion
01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Read my post man, some good can come out of it... changes need to be made that's all
and they need to put me on the cover lol

Skywalker
01-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Wow I think some of you guys are taking this a little far. Someone actually said that using *slang* was bad...!!

...uh isn't that a little too much?

Anyways, someone had a good point about lots of men drooling over the girls in the pics. I agree that that would be haraam, but it's no different than a girl walking out in the street with her face uncovered (only that it would be on a smaller scale). If she's covering her 3awrah, it's ok, but Allah u 3alam if they're allowed to be showing themselved to the public like that.

Does anyone know about the ruling for Muslim women (and men for that matter) coming on TV, in newspapers, magazines, etc?

akulion
01-23-2007, 03:43 PM
if its something news worthy that gets your photo on a cover of a magazine or newspaper or on TV then its something that was unavoidable so there is no sin

but to go out don on makeup and then model yourself for everyone to admire is plain wrong

might as well start enrolling to be in will smiths music videos for summer time...no difference

Skywalker
01-23-2007, 03:50 PM
What about women who work as newscasters, or host shows, like if there was a Muslim version of Oprah or something?

Also, is there any Qur'anic or Hadith support for this?

akulion
01-23-2007, 04:00 PM
the news can be delivered as easily by men

otherwise the argument could continue..what about life guards? why cant women be life guards.

Women are not supposed to don on makeup and go around prancing in public to catch the eye of people.

the quran commands women to conceal themselves:

24: 31 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands their fathers their husbands' fathers their sons their husbands' sons their brothers or their brothers' sons or their sisters' sons or their women or the slaves whom their right hands possess or male servants free of physical needs or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah that ye may attain Bliss.

so you see this whole concept of 'attactive news casters on tv' is a non muslim concept to begin with.

we have our way of life and they have theirs. Dosent mean we should adopt their ways really. After all if its the news a person wants they can hear it from a man who dosent have the restriction of being apparent to people in public.

And allah knows best

Skywalker
01-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I see, good post akulion.

I think attractiveness in a presenter is valid for both men and women because they will attract the opposite sex no matter what it is if they're attractive.

Hey does that mean that we need really ugly presenters with broken teeth and messed up hair to do the news?

You also said something interesting that could work if you want to make really Islamic news...just show pictures or videos of the events with a narrator talking in the background, but without actually seeing him. ...or is that over the top?

Pygoscelis
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Why is it that handsome men are allowed to walk around in Islamic society without covering themselves up? Or are they?

IbnAbdulHakim
01-23-2007, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
Why is it that handsome men are allowed to walk around in Islamic society without covering themselves up? Or are they?
beard :)_

akulion
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
I see, good post akulion.

You also said something interesting that could work if you want to make really Islamic news...just show pictures or videos of the events with a narrator talking in the background, but without actually seeing him. ...or is that over the top?
thats actually a very good idea, excellent one

that way its plain news good and simple

- Qatada -
01-23-2007, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis

Muslim men actually have their own hijaab of wearing loose clothes, and to grow beards, to lower their gaze, to walk with humility, and be modest etc.

Peace.

Muezzin
01-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Dudes, we've gone way off topic here.

Skillganon
01-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I say personally it is a good Idea depending it does not go on the wrong direction.

M.I.A.
01-23-2007, 06:25 PM
i recon were all a bit too quick to judge..
im sure the target audiance will make up there own minds about this mag.

There is no might nor power except by the will of Allah

Skywalker
01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
^ You said it bro.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-23-2007, 06:42 PM
thats actually a very good idea, excellent one

that way its plain news good and simple
i agree, i would like it!

NobleMuslimUK
01-24-2007, 05:39 PM
The magazine, shouldn't be providing what other teen magazines do, such as gossip, stories of girls in and out of relationships. The down and dirty on the celebrities and certainly should not encourage our teenage sisters to behave in a non islamic way. If this magazine stays true and genuine to its nature then this could also help educate the teenage girls of other faiths and give them a better understanding of why muslim girls dress (hijab and loose clothing) and behave (modest and protecting the gaze, lowering it) the way they do.

Sabbir_1
01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
whats wid da stars on the sis face.. astaghfirullah showing your pic like that .. what wrong with these people.. Arent them embarassed or ashamed..

They could of put a pic of a nice masjid, or something else but they had to put a pic of a cover girl.. they copying the kuffar this is what they do, same name cover girl..

Naheezah
01-24-2007, 06:05 PM
astaghfirullah they r jst imitating da kuffar..:(

-Shakirah-
01-24-2007, 06:06 PM
................................................!

Skywalker
01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
So far it's not very encouraging, but I think we all need to give it a fair chance...maybe it will start to curve and become something more positive.

Also, has anybody here actually read the magazine?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.