/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "God Bless America"

Pygoscelis
01-21-2007, 01:45 PM
What do you think when you hear or see signs that say "GOD BLESS AMERICA"?

I know some theists and atheists alike who dislike it strongly.
Personally I just find it tacky (but then living in Canada I'm not exposed to it as much).

The atheists object because God has nothing to do with America, or shouldn't, separation of church and state and all that jazz. The theists object to the idea of God actually picking a favourite group (their nation) and opposing another. But then isn't that the very thing that God does in the bible? Picking the Israelites and bringing them to destroy neighbouring tribes? So they confuse me.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
01-21-2007, 01:51 PM
To be honest I can not think of any Nation more in need of God's(swt) blessings than the USA. I feel that we have lost our path and strayed so far from God(swt) that it is going to take God's(swt) blessings and mercy to restore us. I see it as a public plea of asking God(swt) for help. we are a lost nation and hopefully with Allah's(swt) blessing we will return to worshiping him.

root
01-21-2007, 03:55 PM
It's Ironic that the US was built on seculism and has grown to become almost religously over bearing, but a deception is hidden here. Additionally, England (United Kindom) was built on religous bloodbaths and has become quite religously unmotivated.

I think the reason behind this apparent paradox is the best question.

Eric H
01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Pygoscelis;

If Americans could say God bless Afghanistan and Iraq it would then be very hypocritical to then go and bomb them.

Maybe that is why Jesus said that we should love and pray for our enemies.

In the spirit of seeking peace on Earth

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skillganon
01-21-2007, 04:42 PM
The thing is saying "God Bless America" especially for a muslim is not appropriate.
Do you mean God Bless America for their spreading of mischief and evil around the world?

God Bless America for killing muslim and uprooting Islamic State(Shariah) and supporting and implementing Tryrant and Munafiq?

This is a serious thing muslims has to think about.

Rather say "May God spoil America's evil plotting and guide them to the straight path"

Muezzin
01-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Why don't people quote Tiny Tim instead and say 'God bless us, everyone' ?

Pygoscelis
01-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Or, the next time you see a sign that says "God Bless America", just remove the B.

The Ruler
01-21-2007, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Do you mean God Bless America for their spreading of mischief and evil around the world?
can we get one thing right, its not america that is spreading mischief, it is the government. since when did we see a country with legs and arms trying to conquer the world :uuh:...it is very disturbing.

:w:

Keltoi
01-21-2007, 06:59 PM
I think of "God Bless America" as a request, not a statement of fact. When I hear the song or see the phrase, it is more like asking God to bless my country, not telling people God does bless my country.

Skillganon
01-21-2007, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
can we get one thing right, its not america that is spreading mischief, it is the government. since when did we see a country with legs and arms trying to conquer the world :uuh:...it is very disturbing.

:w:
Asslamu alaikum sis.

The president, the people in goverment e.t.c
I never said anything about the innocent bystanders or the people who got duped.

When I talk about america don't think I am talking about everyone or a piece of land.
Obviousely I did not mention other culprits because it was not the topic.

FBI
01-21-2007, 07:24 PM
:sl:

May allah grant america iman.

Woodrow
01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI
:sl:

May allah grant america iman.
Those are the words I see "God Bless America" as meaning. I do not see them as words of asking for a gift based on good deeds I see them as a plea to be guided to the right path.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
if you honestly mean this then the thought which comes to mind is:

WHY?

The Ruler
01-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Asslamu alaikum sis.

The president, the people in goverment e.t.c
I never said anything about the innocent bystanders or the people who got duped.

When I talk about america don't think I am talking about everyone or a piece of land.
Obviousely I did not mention other culprits because it was not the topic.
nope...neither was i...America is a piece of land...the government is the government which, at the moment, is run by bush.

format_quote Originally Posted by skilly
May God spoil America's evil plotting and guide them to the straight path
can we not rephrase that to 'May God spoil America's evil plotting government...'?

:thumbs_up

:w: :peace:

SilentObserver
01-21-2007, 07:58 PM

I know some theists and atheists alike who dislike it strongly.
Personally I just find it tacky (but then living in Canada I'm not exposed to it as much).

The atheists object because God has nothing to do with America, or shouldn't, separation of church and state and all that jazz. The theists object to the idea of God actually picking a favourite group (their nation) and opposing another. But then isn't that the very thing that God does in the bible? Picking the Israelites and bringing them to destroy neighbouring tribes? So they confuse me.
I have been curious for a long time as to why athiests object so strongly to the word "God". I mean, if you don't believe in something that someone else does, why not just dismiss their words as foolishness? Why waste the energy on rooting out the word? Why not just ignore it? It does not actually harm anything to let people say this. Just respond with, "OK, whatever." Or ignore them altogether.
I just don't understand the amount of energy that goes into something that doesn't matter. Some athiests oppose it almost as strongly as a religious zealot.
If you don't believe in God, then it is not as if you are being offended based on your religion. No disrespect intended to athiests. It just is hard to understand.

Skillganon
01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
can we not rephrase that to 'May God spoil America's evil plotting government...'?
Their is no need for rephrasing we all know what we mean by that, and because it is evil plotting that needs to be spoiled no matter who in america it comes from.

p.s. I do find it slightly annoying when people automatically think I am talking about everyone and everything in america, when I mention america in this age of the world I mean the goverment and those who support them. This will not change even if this current goverment is ousted and replaced by another like it.

Pygoscelis
01-21-2007, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
if you honestly mean this then the thought which comes to mind is:

WHY?
Your post confuzles me completely. Mean what? I asked a question. I didn't make a statement whatsoever.

Pygoscelis
01-21-2007, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SilentObserver
I have been curious for a long time as to why athiests object so strongly to the word "God". I mean, if you don't believe in something that someone else does, why not just dismiss their words as foolishness? Why waste the energy on rooting out the word? Why not just ignore it? It does not actually harm anything to let people say this. Just respond with, "OK, whatever." Or ignore them altogether.
I just don't understand the amount of energy that goes into something that doesn't matter. Some athiests oppose it almost as strongly as a religious zealot.
If you don't believe in God, then it is not as if you are being offended based on your religion. No disrespect intended to athiests. It just is hard to understand.

There are some militant atheists out there, this is true. Mostly they get this way when raised by fundamentalist parents and later leave the faith, and are quite bitter for having been put through the experience (fearing hell, being ostracized for losing faith, etc). This isn't typical of most atheists though, just the loud vocal ones. Most of us DO just kind of roll our eyes when we see or hear people going "God Bless Whatever".

Now, when the Government puts it on the money* and judges want ten commandments in the courtroom, it becomes a bigger issue and I get much more interested.

* - by the way, isn't putting God on money blasphemy in some way? Could have sworn I read something about it in the bible.

England
01-21-2007, 09:10 PM
The thing is saying "God Bless America" especially for a muslim is not appropriate.

God Bless America for killing muslim and uprooting Islamic State(Shariah) and supporting and implementing Tryrant and Munafiq?

This is a serious thing muslims has to think about.

Rather say "May God spoil America's evil plotting and guide them to the straight path"
America hasn't killed muslims. America has done nothing wrong. Your problem lies with the government. I think America is in the same situation as Britain. The majority of people in both countries are totally against the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am one of them but at the same time the majority of us support our troops and wish them all the best. We don't support the war, the governments do.

minaz
01-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Church and State seperation has been a key issue in American life since its establishment. It wanted independence from the British (Church of England), Thomas Jefferson wanted the US to become secular one day, but religion (Christianity) has been prominent throughout. But today we see American politicians use the word "God" quite frequently. Many politicians don't use the word not even Blair. So when Americans hear their elected officials use religion you can understand why they may be offended.

Skillganon
01-21-2007, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
America hasn't killed muslims. America has done nothing wrong. Your problem lies with the government. I think America is in the same situation as Britain. The majority of people in both countries are totally against the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am one of them but at the same time the majority of us support our troops and wish them all the best. We don't support the war, the governments do.
I understand and I know.
I think I explained it as above (my other posts) what I mean by america.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Your post confuzles me completely. Mean what? I asked a question. I didn't make a statement whatsoever.
well you asked what is the thought which comes up when he read or hear "God bless america". So the thought which comes to my mind when i read that is "WHY?" ie why should God bless America?

Im sorry but thats not just america, so many countries, so against the words of God, so full of corruption... why would God bless it?

Pygoscelis
01-21-2007, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
well you asked what is the thought which comes up when he read or hear "God bless america". So the thought which comes to my mind when i read that is "WHY?" ie why should God bless America?

Im sorry but thats not just america, so many countries, so against the words of God, so full of corruption... why would God bless it?
I don't see a reason for a God to bless ANY nation. Why would a deity play favourites based on nationality of all things? It makes no sense. Its like praying to win a football game.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't see a reason for a God to bless ANY nation. Why would a deity play favourites based on nationality of all things? It makes no sense. Its like praying to win a football game.
If God chooses to bless a nation which strives to follow his commands then i would understand if he blessed it :)

dougmusr
01-22-2007, 02:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
To be honest I can not think of any Nation more in need of God's(swt) blessings than the USA. I feel that we have lost our path and strayed so far from God(swt) that it is going to take God's(swt) blessings and mercy to restore us. I see it as a public plea of asking God(swt) for help. we are a lost nation and hopefully with Allah's(swt) blessing we will return to worshiping him.
Are you saying that the USA was once Islamic, or are you willing to accept a return to what some would call our Judeo/Christian roots through a national revival?

Woodrow
01-22-2007, 03:08 AM
Are you saying that the USA was once Islamic, or are you willing to accept a return to what some would call our Judeo/Christian roots through a national revival?
I would say that we all, as a nation, have lost the importance of worshipping God(swt). As individuals we all need to worship Him(swt) to the best of our ability and knowledge. Myself and all Muslims as Muslims and all non-Muslims in accordance with their belief. Once we all recognise the need to worship God(swt) we can disagree peacefully and as individuals as how to worship.

Pygoscelis
01-22-2007, 03:28 AM
Once we all recognise the need to worship God(swt) we can disagree peacefully and as individuals as how to worship.
That almost sounds like you're saying that so long as there is atheism there will be or should be violent disagreement. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Woodrow
01-22-2007, 03:45 AM
That almost sounds like you're saying that so long as there is atheism there will be or should be violent disagreement. Am I reading this incorrectly?
If the Nation were predominatly athiestic, the asking of God's(swt) guidence would be a non-existant point and there would be no sense for those of us who believe in God(swt) to even consider staying in the country.

However, the country is or at least claims to be predominatly theistic. Those of us who claim to have faith in God(swt) need to act as if we do. Part of the responsiblity that goes with that is to be able to disagree peacefuly without violence and without threat of imposing our beliefs forcebly upon others.

root
01-23-2007, 09:41 PM
I have been curious for a long time as to why athiests object so strongly to the word "God". I mean, if you don't believe in something that someone else does, why not just dismiss their words as foolishness? Why waste the energy on rooting out the word? Why not just ignore it?
Ignore it? Should we ignore going to war because some guy say's it's god's will! do we ignore the teaching of intelligent design as scientific! perhaps we should ignore rules imposed (or would want to be imposed) as god's will when it is some sky-god belief.

It does not actually harm anything to let people say this. Just respond with, "OK, whatever." Or ignore them altogether.
OK, your right. Let's throw all the homosexuals off the top of the highest point and stone to death all adulteres as god's will. let's just ignore that and say "OK, whatever"

I just don't understand the amount of energy that goes into something that doesn't matter.
Doesn't matter, some people think the truth does matter.

Some athiests oppose it almost as strongly as a religious zealot.
And who exactly are these people who think that they speak for God, what right do they have to tell me it's OK to throw a homosexual off the highest point because god will's it. Who is anyone to say someone is my enemy!!!!!!!!

SilentObserver
01-28-2007, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by root
Ignore it? Should we ignore going to war because some guy say's it's god's will! do we ignore the teaching of intelligent design as scientific! perhaps we should ignore rules imposed (or would want to be imposed) as god's will when it is some sky-god belief.
No need to get excited just asking some questions. No, I think some extremely good reasons should be presented before going to war. Not some guy's opinion that he thinks its God's will.
As far as the intelligent design point, I think if it is purely scientific, then scientific design would not have been ruled out, along with other theories, based on lack of undeniable proof for any theory.

OK, your right. Let's throw all the homosexuals off the top of the highest point and stone to death all adulteres as god's will. let's just ignore that and say "OK, whatever"
They are not doing this in america are they? Things have really changed since I was there last if they are. But seriously, I say "ignore them" in the same way that I mean "live and let live". Including homosexuals, transsexuals, athiests, Paris Hilton, and yes, even religious fanatics. Providing they are not harming others (OK, that excludes Paris Hilton).

Doesn't matter, some people think the truth does matter.
I agree, it does. But I just mean it as a 'pick your battles' statement. Use the energy for when that religious person that is annoying you is actually affecting you, like in ways you mentioned earlier.

And who exactly are these people who think that they speak for God, what right do they have to tell me it's OK to throw a homosexual off the highest point because god will's it. Who is anyone to say someone is my enemy!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure where this came from, but if someone did tell you that, then I would side with you, I don't think God wants us throwing anybody anywhere.
Who is anyone to say someone is my enemy!!!!!!!!
I don't know, but I'm not your enemy. I'm just a guy on the internet asking some questions.

sudais1
01-28-2007, 05:16 AM
speaking of "God bless America and nowhere else" annoys be, well the nowhere else this is almost off topic but what about the other country's in the world

Pygoscelis
01-28-2007, 11:08 AM
I would absolutely laugh my butt off if I ever heard one of those flag waving conservative americans say "God Bless Iran" :)

Keltoi
01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
I would absolutely laugh my butt off if I ever heard one of those flag waving conservative americans say "God Bless Iran" :)
As one of those "flag waving conservative Americans", I do hope God blesses Iran and everyone in the world. I'm not sure what your point is exactly. I suppose I will continue to wave the flag....:D

snakelegs
01-28-2007, 11:52 PM
there is something about hyper-patriiotism that really scares me.

Woodrow
01-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I believe that every nation on earth is in need of Allah's(swt) Blessing. There is no way that we will ever be able to undo the mess we are in unless we all accept His(swt) blessings of knowledge and guidance.

dougmusr
01-29-2007, 01:09 AM
I believe that every nation on earth is in need of Allah's(swt) Blessing. There is no way that we will ever be able to undo the mess we are in unless we all accept His(swt) blessings of knowledge and guidance.
I agree with Keltoi and Woodrow.

Look at Deuteronomy 28 to see how Moses described the blessings and curses associated with obedience/disobedience to God's laws. We need evaluate our nations based on the blessings/curses and ourselves individually to make sure our behavior is in accordance with God's requirements.

Pygoscelis
01-29-2007, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
As one of those "flag waving conservative Americans", I do hope God blesses Iran and everyone in the world. I'm not sure what your point is exactly. I suppose I will continue to wave the flag....:D
Hyper-patriotism is second only to hyper-religionism in making my skin crawl.

dougmusr
01-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Hyper-patriotism is second only to hyper-religionism in making my skin crawl.
Sounds like a natural reorganization of skin, perhaps inherant plastic surgery built into the species by evolution.:D

Pygoscelis
04-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Do you find it offensive when people say "God Bless America"?

It strikes me as overly nationalistic and divisive and not very "good". If people were truly good, I'd figure they should be saying "God Bless us, every one". Do people really think that God (whichever they believe in) cares to push their country over others? Its like those silly people who thank god for winning a baseball game, etc.

Woodrow
04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Can you think of any country that is more in need of being blessed by Allah(swt).

Keep in mind the word bless has several meanings. to Americans to say "God Bless America" is asking God to help or correct America.

bless (bls)
tr.v. blessed or blest (blst), bless·ing, bless·es
1. To make holy by religious rite; sanctify.
2. To make the sign of the cross over so as to sanctify.
3. To invoke divine favor upon.
4. To honor as holy; glorify: Bless the Lord.
5. To confer well-being or prosperity on.
6. To endow, as with talent.
Idiom:
bless you
Used to wish good health to a person who has just sneezed.
America is in much need to be made holy and we do need to be endowed with the talent to do good and to achieve well being.

we are a very sick country and it is only the Blessings of Allah(swt) that are strong enough to heal us.

Muezzin
04-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Doesn't offend me. It's just a jingoistic slogan. It would be better to pull a Tiny Tim though.

Zulkiflim
04-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Salaam,

Check out the evangelican website godhatesamerica....

Is that any more offensive that god loves america

It is just man desire.

that is why we always say Inshallah...

don532
04-27-2007, 06:01 PM

It strikes me as overly nationalistic and divisive and not very "good". If people were truly good, I'd figure they should be saying "God Bless us, every one". Do people really think that God (whichever they believe in) cares to push their country over others? Its like those silly people who thank god for winning a baseball game, etc.
I don't find any country that asks for God's blessing to be offensive. By asking for a blessing, that doesn't mean whoever is doing the asking is at the same time asking God to not bless anyone else. I seriously doubt God has a limited number of blessings available, or takes one away from somewhere to give it someplace else.

Kittygyal
04-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi.
It actually depends how a person would say it, if they put a sotty face on then i will take it offencive but like i said it depends.
Buh Bye.

strider
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
No, i don't find it offensive in the slightest.

snakelegs
04-27-2007, 09:05 PM

theoretically no, BUT
it has come to be a support-our-president-and-our-hideous-foreign-policy-and-support-our-troops (which for some reason never means bringing them home)- jingle. so yes, it does offend me. there is something about hyper-patriotism that is just plain scary.

Keltoi
04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
The only people who would be truly offended by this are those looking for something to be offended by.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.