/* */

PDA

View Full Version : grrrrhhh at landlords!

Dawud_uk
01-21-2007, 08:47 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

i have just had a very terse conversation with my landlord (who happens to be muslim)

the curtain rail on the house me and umm abdullah (sis dafodil) are moving out of has fallen off, looks like to have never been put on correctly in the first place and as such i have asked him to fix it as it is non deliberate or non neglegent damage and breakage and so according to the contract we signed he should fix it.

however, he said as it never broke previously in the 1 1/2 years i was here he said it is wear and tear not breakage which is rediculous.

he is now claiming i should return all of the house exactly as given, qouting some verses of the Quran out of context such as...

"Allah commands you to return the things you hold on trust to their owners";

"If you leave things on trust with one another the one who is trusted must deliver up his trust."

"You who have faith! Do not betray Allah and His Messenger and do not knowingly betray your trusts."

"It is the believers who are successful..., those who honour their trusts and their contracts such people are the inheritors, who will inherit Firdaws, remaining in it timelessly, forever."

(Surah al Azhaab)

which i understands relates to goods left in keeping, not rented or used goods which are paid for over the period of the contract.

he then goes on to accuse me of nifaq, using the following ahaddith,

"The signs of the hypocrite are three: when he speaks he lies; when he makes an oath he breaks it; and when he is entrusted with something he betrays that trust." The version of Muslim has the additional wording, "Even if he fasts, prays and thinks that he is a Muslim."

"There is no faith for the one who has no amaanah and no religion for the one who does not keep his promises."

wallahi, i swear i have kept my trusts, paid my rent (1 month extra if you count a dispute we had over whether i had paid a month or not which i backed down on to preserve our friendship) and looked after the place according to our contract.

he has made many promises to sort out parts of the property which he has never done or done very late and very badly and yet he accuses me of nifaq for not keeping my promises on this and because i will not of-course be able to return the property exactly as recieved as i have lived in it for 1 1/2 years.

what do the brothers and sisters think?

am i being unreasonable here or what? i am certain i have kept my word and kept my end of the bargin and stuck to the contract we signed but he is saying not.

i am loath to back down again as i feel he is taking advantage, as i felt before when we had a simular argument for rent but i backed down to save our friendship and because i didnt want to add to his stress as his father had just died.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
01-21-2007, 09:25 PM
subhanAllaah, perhaps would have been better to make this anonymous but bro accusing another muslim of such things is harsh indeed. Perhaps you should go up to him remind him of brotherhood etc tell him your intentions and that you simply really believed that its your legal right to have that rail repaired and that if he really wishes to not do it then having sabr is best...

Allahu a'lam, sry if i couldnt help..

Snowflake
01-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Salam,

The best way would be to have a good mannered talk with the Landlord and explain to him again that the curtain rail must've already been loosely attached for it to have fallen down. You're right, it is his job to fix it and maintain the property as suitable for living in. Part of rent goes towards maintenance of property anyway.

But if he continues to refuse, which seems likely judging by what he's already said, it is possible that you can fix it yourself? Or perhaps get a mate to do it? I fear that if you keep insisting on it being his responsibility, he may make things harder for you and with-hold any deposit he owes you. So you may end up losing more money in the long run. It doesn't mean your backing down, but sometimes you have to use hikmah when the person your dealing with isn't being fair. Otherwise it's your word against his. Good luck inshaAllah. May Allah help you. Ameen.

IbnAbdulHakim,

It's alright to complain publicly if you've been wronged bro. It's not being malicious etc.. and doesn't amount to backbiting. Here's an ayah to confirm that inshaAllah. Plus I think it's like a deterrent for others who wrong people that their injustice will be made public, so that they refrain from being unfair to people.

"Allah loveth not that evil should be noised a broad in public speech, except where injustice hath been done; for Allah is He Who heareth and knoweth all things. (The Noble Quran, 4:148)"

Erundur
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

i have just had a very terse conversation with my landlord (who happens to be muslim)

the curtain rail on the house me and umm abdullah (sis dafodil) are moving out of has fallen off, looks like to have never been put on correctly in the first place and as such i have asked him to fix it as it is non deliberate or non neglegent damage and breakage and so according to the contract we signed he should fix it.

however, he said as it never broke previously in the 1 1/2 years i was here he said it is wear and tear not breakage which is rediculous.

he is now claiming i should return all of the house exactly as given,
assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

:salamext:

If you still live at the place and have yet to move, it should be his obligation to fix the curtail rail. As long as you live in his residence its his repsonsibility, unless stated otherwise in the contract in which you signed with him.

Besides he is suppose to give you some kind of notice before hand and not just say it.

:sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!