/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Pc refused to shake hands

netprince
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
A Muslim woman police officer refused to shake hands with the head of the Metropolitan Police on faith grounds.

The officer, who has not been named, was granted the exemption at a passing-out ceremony where new recruits met Commissioner Sir Ian Blair.
The woman's refusal was based on her view that her faith prevented her touching a man other than her husband or a close relative.
Sir Ian had questioned the validity of her refusal, Scotland Yard said.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "This request was only granted by members of training staff out of a desire to minimise any disruption to others' enjoyment and to ensure the smooth running of what is one of the most important events in an officer's career."
She added: "The officer maintains that she puts the requirements of being a police officer above her personal beliefs and only exercises the latter when she has choice to do so.
"Any refusal to engage in this manner would not be tolerated by the MPS (Metropolitan Police Service)."
Probationary period
The woman was allowed to pass out in December last year because she had completed all the elements of the 18-week recruit training course.
This included officer safety training, which required officers to come into physical contact with each other.
The officer will now be required to complete a two-year probationary period.
Muslim groups defended the police officer, saying her beliefs would not affect how she carried out her job and called for greater understanding of different cultures.
Massoud Shadjareh, chairman of the London-based Islamic Human Rights Commission, said: "I don't think shaking hands is something that makes or breaks a relationship.
"I don't think in any sort of job that is something that becomes an obstacle to one performing one's duties."
'Not set in concrete'
Sheikh Ibraham Mogra, of the Muslim Council of Britain, said people should not be alarmed by the officer's beliefs and that Muslim law "was not set in concrete".
He added: "If the officer is called to a male victim who has been shot, the laws go out of the window.
"If she has to resuscitate that dying person, Muslim law will then change and allow her all sorts of physical contact because a life is at risk and life is so precious. "Muslim law will say, 'forget everything, save this life'."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~*~Serene~*~
01-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Police respond to handshake snub

Scotland Yard says personal beliefs must not be put above police duties, after a constable refused to shake hands with Sir Ian Blair.
The Muslim woman officer refused to shake hands with the Metropolitan police chief on religious grounds.

Image 1

Sir Ian "questioned the validity of the request", Scotland Yard said

It happened when Sir Ian inspected 200 recruits at a passing out parade.

The Met says the officer puts the job's requirements above her personal beliefs, which she only exercises where there is a choice.

"Any refusal to engage in this manner would not be tolerated by the Metropolitan Police Service," it added.

It said the officer's request not to shake her boss's hand was only granted "out of a desire to minimise any disruption to others' enjoyment, and to ensure the smooth running of what is one of the most important events in an officer's career."

The commissioner questioned the validity of the request, and the matter is being looked into by the MPS, it said, adding that an officer's probationary period is designed specifically to ensure that "they undertake the role as required".

If this does not occur the officer may be required to leave the Service as any variation on this will not be tolerated.

The woman had said it was contrary to her religious teaching to touch a man, the Mail on Sunday reported.

The woman, who wore a uniform hijab, also refused to be pictured with Sir Ian at the event on 21 December as she did not want a photo used for "propaganda purposes", the paper said.

The incident took place at Imber Court, the Metropolitan Police Service's sports and conference centre at Thames Ditton, south-west London.

I actually think the only problem is when there is cultural and religious ignorance and misunderstanding

Islamic Human Rights Commission

The Mail on Sunday said the Pc, described as a "non Asian Muslim", was among recruits who had competed 18 weeks of basic training.

Several Muslim groups have defended the officer's actions and insisted it would not affect how she carried out her job.

Massoud Shadjareh, chairman of the Islamic Human Rights Commission, said the "overwhelming majority" of practising Muslims would avoid physical contact with members of the opposite sex.

"Muslims do not physically touch members of the opposite sex unless they are married or very closely related - for example, brother and sister or uncle and niece," he said.

"This is not a sign of disrespect or anything."

He added that those employed in jobs such as police officers or doctors would not have a problem with touching people in order to fulfil their duties.

"I actually think the only problem is when there is cultural and religious ignorance and misunderstanding," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6284231.stm

Goku
01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Interesting and from a Muslim point of view, understandable.

But a serious question, how will she apprehend or arrest male convicts?

Muezzin
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
Interesting and from a Muslim point of view, understandable.

But a serious question, how will she apprehend or arrest male convicts?
By touching them, obviously. When it comes to actually doing her job, she will not 'put her beliefs above her duty'. It's just kind of silly that everyone is making a big hoohah out of the fact that she refused to shake someone's hand at a ceremony; when it comes to actual police work, I don't think she'd have a problem with apprehending male suspects.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Taqiyah
01-25-2007, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by netprince
A Muslim woman police officer refused to shake hands with the head of the Metropolitan Police on faith grounds.

The woman was allowed to pass out in December last year because she had completed all the elements of the 18-week recruit training course.
This included officer safety training, which required officers to come into physical contact with each other.
T"
salaamz.

What I don't get is how she completed the 18-week recruit training course since it requires physical contact with other officers? plus why would she refuse to shake hands with one guy and have physical contact with other officers?:uuh: that kinda sounds spotty to me.:rolleyes:

Goku
01-25-2007, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
By touching them, obviously. When it comes to actually doing her job, she will not 'put her beliefs above her duty'. It's just kind of silly that everyone is making a big hoohah out of the fact that she refused to shake someone's hand at a ceremony; when it comes to actual police work, I don't think she'd have a problem with apprehending male suspects.
Yes i know, she will have to touch them, and she did do an 18 month training course. So is it a matter of pick and choose....:confused:

Taqiyah
01-25-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
Yes i know, she will have to touch them, and she did do an 18 month training course. So is it a matter of pick and choose....:confused:

Yeah exactly....that is what I am tryin to find out too...
Physical contact with any guy whomsoever except your husband or close relative is not allowed right??

Goku
01-25-2007, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
Yeah exactly....that is what I am tryin to find out too...
Physical contact with any guy whomsoever except your husband or close relative is not allowed right??
:sl:

Traditionally it isnt but when it comes to the type of job, then I think it is.

Allah SWT knows best.

:w:

Dawud_uk
01-26-2007, 11:06 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

i asked a local alim about this issue before when i was considering a job in the police force and he pretty much gave me the same advice as this sister is doing.

that was it was allowable to arrest a woman, help a woman in medical need etc but when it came to personal contact for which i would have a choice over then it was not allowed to shake hands etc.

in the end i didnt go into the police service for various reasons, main one being i am not fit enough to do it and i have big issues with the oath a muslim would need to take to become an officer could be an act of kufr according to some scholars.

but other than this issue, the sister seems to be taking a sensible view of this, avoiding personal social contact but not for when she needs to help others or stop harm from being done which are the basic duties of a police officer which are fundementally the islamic duties of enjoining the good and forbidding evil.

she said herself where professional capacitiy was concerned she would arrest a man etc but when it came to personal choice she would avoid touching a man such as shaking his hand or other social contact.

a very sensible decision and seems to be what the scholars are advising on issues like this.

Assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Malaikah
01-26-2007, 11:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
but other than this issue, the sister seems to be taking a sensible view of this, avoiding personal social contact but not for when she needs to help others or stop harm from being done which are the basic duties of a police officer which are fundementally the islamic duties of enjoining the good and forbidding evil.

But is she justified in taking up that occupation in the first place knowing that it will force her to touch men, when there is no serious need (as far as I know) to have Muslim female police officers?

TABS19
01-26-2007, 11:17 AM
in the end i didnt go into the police service for various reasons, main one being i am not fit enough to do it and i have big issues with the oath a muslim would need to take to become an officer could be an act of kufr according to some scholars.
I also sure that I heard this somewhere too (maybe from my brother-in-law), that a Muslim should not join the police force, or any other occupation due to rules in that specific job, as (like you said) could contradict your beliefs as a Muslim.

Pk_#2
01-26-2007, 12:16 PM
:rolleyes: AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

shilly woman, i'll give her a job! :D

She can be my bodyguard, who wants to touch convicts up? :oS

I think shes better off working elsewhere,

No one forced her to do it, she bought it upon herself ...right?

Good move bro D...theres so much more you could try :)

JazakAllah khair anyway,

Peace :shade:

Dawud_uk
01-26-2007, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

But is she justified in taking up that occupation in the first place knowing that it will force her to touch men, when there is no serious need (as far as I know) to have Muslim female police officers?
assalaamu alaykum sister,

that is valid point, but surely a male police officer must touch females to arrest them from time to time also?

this prohibitions are as valid upon men as they are upon women.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Umm Yoosuf
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Malaikah

We do not know her situation; although I jumped into conclusions at first, I sat back and thought perhaps when she took the job first she didn’t know or maybe she is new to Islam or wasn't practsing hten thus she is/was unaware of certain rulings of Islam.

Allah Knows Best

Malaikah
01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
that is valid point, but surely a male police officer must touch females to arrest them from time to time also?

Exactly, my point applies to both! (If not more for men!)

Dawud_uk
01-26-2007, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Exactly, my point applies to both! (If not more for men!)
assalaamu alaykum,

what about the fact that in muslim lands the police there include both men and women and need to sometimes arrest the opposite gender though of-course it is better you get a woman to arrest a woman and man a man etc but even in the west this is generally observed that men are not left alone with female suspects and visa versa.

wouldnt the arresting of a female suspect by a male police officer fall under the protection of the general good and so be permissable as the necessity of prohibiting harm and removing harm from society would out weigh the prohibition of touching the criminal?

what have the scholars said about this issue?

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Malaikah
01-26-2007, 12:49 PM
what have the scholars said about this issue?

This issue has been of particular importance to me over the last few weeks... I can't give you a specific answer about the police force but I can tell you what I know with regards to occupations related to health sciences (such as doctors etc), based on scholarly opinions...

Basically, in a Muslim country one would assume that they would segregate patients so that male doctors treat males only and females treat females. It is forbidden to treat someone of the opposite gender unless there is an extreme need to do so (e.g. the patient is a male and the only person in the whole country who knows how to help is a female doctor, in this case she can help him... or a female is about to die and there is only a male doctor available to help here and if they wait for a female doctor she might die).

But, for Muslims living in places that do not cater for this need, the permissibility of Muslims working with/touching patients of the opposite gender depends on the need of the Muslim community. So, for example, it might be permissible for a female to study medicine, even though this means that through out her course she will have to work with and touch male patients, if, when she graduates she will work only with female patients. This is permissible because the evil of the Muslim community being without Muslim female doctors is greater than the evil of that person having to study in that environment. i.e. the great good is for her to study...

So, the question I would ask for this scenario, is there a serious need for Muslim police officers and is this need greater than that the evil of the Muslim being forced to fall in to haram? And with regard to females in particular, is the job even suitable for Muslim women in the first place?! I don't think a cop can wear a skirt, so she will have to wear pants which would be too revealing... What benefit is there from having a female Muslim police officer? (If you can think of any please share, because I can't...)

sameer
01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Were there women in the times of the prophet sallulahi alleyhe wasalaam who fought in the jihads? If so did they engage the women enemy only or did they fight against men also. If they are in a battle field then they must have touched the enemy in some way - because they had to obviously.

However, if it were my wife or daughter, i would not like for them to take a job like that where they would have direct contact (touching or left alone with males etc) with males, but thats just my personal feelings.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.