/* */

PDA

View Full Version : muslim names for baby

Kashnowe
01-22-2007, 08:29 PM
hello. i just gave birth to a beautiful boy 2 months ago. his father is muslim and i am christian. unfortunately we were not married. the father decided to leave me when i was 4 months pregnant only to return the week before the birth asking for forgiveness.

ok so when we were together we discussed the importance to him for the baby to have a muslim name. i considered it and researched. then he left and i was very angry. ultimately i decided that i knew he would return one day b/c he left out of fear not hate. and i knew that the father's parents who are strict muslims really wanted a muslim name.

soooooooo i named my son michael elijah. it was a perfect compromise (in my opinion) between christian and muslim name.

i found reference to the angel michael in the quran and on several websites for muslim baby names. elijah (elias, Ilyas) is also in the quran as a prophet but the father is still not satisfied. he says it absolutely is not a muslim name.

so who do you think is right?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cooloonka
hello. i just gave birth to a beautiful boy 2 months ago. his father is muslim and i am christian. unfortunately we were not married. the father decided to leave me when i was 4 months pregnant only to return the week before the birth asking for forgiveness.

ok so when we were together we discussed the importance to him for the baby to have a muslim name. i considered it and researched. then he left and i was very angry. ultimately i decided that i knew he would return one day b/c he left out of fear not hate. and i knew that the father's parents who are strict muslims really wanted a muslim name.

soooooooo i named my son michael elijah. it was a perfect compromise (in my opinion) between christian and muslim name.

i found reference to the angel michael in the quran and on several websites for muslim baby names. elijah (elias, Ilyas) is also in the quran as a prophet but the father is still not satisfied. he says it absolutely is not a muslim name.

so who do you think is right?

If you seriously would like my honest opinion, and as a Muslim I am not allowed to lie, I would first like to congratulate you on your birth of a son, and I hope that he wil inspire you and your potential husband to contemplate the wonders that Almighty God has given us, as a child, through his or her birth can have wonderful effect upon us as humans and I cannot wait for my turn, insha'Allah, God willing.

I hope also that it helps you to realise the beauty of those before us, such as Abraham and others, I mention Abraham, because of his, peace be upon him, turmoil if it can be called that at wanting to have a child so badly.

Anyhow sorry for being long winded.

I was going to say, maybe if you are truly considering having a Muslim name, then Eliyah should just be Elias, since Eliyah might be seen as a name that is not appropiate by some.

You see, from what I have read, Eliyah, is kind of the same as, ELI, i.e. El I, My God, and then Yah, for the name of Hashem, which Muslims do not, through what I understand believe to be a name of G-d, so in reality, this would in some cases be seen as wrong.

Anyhow, Michael Elias would be cool?

Lol, everyone who knows me here knows what I am gonna say, I say it to new mothers all the time, 'why not call him Eesa?' lol Im named Eesa, after my beloved Prophet, Eesa, son of Maryam, i.e. Jesus son of Mary.

Gotta love that name :)

Regards,

Eesa Abdullah

*noor
01-23-2007, 01:42 AM
What about the name Gibreal?

netprince
01-23-2007, 01:42 AM
How about Adam as the perfect compromise. The name is the same in both english and arabic. When pronounced in an arabic way it becomes a 'muslim' name and when pronounced in a european way it becomes a european name :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kashnowe
01-23-2007, 01:57 AM
aha well truth be told my nephew is gabriel and my cousin is adam.

i did long extensive research and eli is a totally separate name from Elijah. Elijah is the prophet recognized by both faiths also spelled Illyas.

a good link i used in my research is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophets_of_Islam

so even if you don't like the name Micahel do you find it acceptable?

Umar001
01-23-2007, 02:00 AM

i did long extensive research and eli is a totally separate name from Elijah. Elijah is the prophet recognized by both faiths also spelled Illyas.

a good link i used in my research is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophets_of_Islam

If your asking me that, then, Mikael, i.e. Michael, thats an angel if I am not mistaken. :) More than acceptable.

As for Elijah, then okey dokes you done the research.

Though Eesa, still sounds nice. LOL

Or Yahya, meaning John.

netprince
01-23-2007, 02:13 AM

Michael is fine as a name, however, if you were to use the arabic version of the name, Mikail, then i think that might be more acceptable to the childs father. Personally i think Mikail is a beautiful name, also agree with the bro in that Easa is a very good name.

Kashnowe
01-23-2007, 02:30 AM
well thank you all for your input. i'm going to show my son' s father these posts. i understand what you mean by spelling it differently but from what i have read it is the meaning of the name that hold the importance.

different languages spell names differently yet retain the same meaning. so again thanks for the reassurance that my sons name is acceptable.

to be honest i did all that research for my son's sake because he has a whole muslim family (whom i have not met because they are overseas) who he will meet one day and i wanted him to be accepted as much as possible. his father is not exactly a good example to follow.

he needs prayers.

S_87
01-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Peace

to keep both of you happy since youve given the baby two names why not have one arabic and one english?
like michael elyas for example?
or the name daniel and in arabic danyaal has little difference in the pronunciation?

chacha_jalebi
01-23-2007, 11:52 AM
jus have a pure arabic name :D abu bakr :D

Abu Ibraheem
01-23-2007, 12:07 PM
tell him that everybody is born a Muslim according to Islam!

This is a strong point, i suggest you grab hold of the Qur'an to show him this one..

The first Kafir (disbeliever) was the Satan, there were no disbelievers before him.

However according to the Qur'aan Adam named every creation, and every names of every living creature, me, you, etc. and that was before the Satan became a disbeliever. People are not born disbelievers.

Moreover, how can a noun not be a Muslim if it serves its purpose? the very defintion of Muslim is something that submits and serves its purpose.

By Islamic law, he has no rights over the child due to the nature of the relationship, however if you want to marry him as a Christian, that is possible as long as you can sacrifice the belief that "there are three that bear record in heaven..." ...the trinity.. God is only one, He created Jesus Christ as a Messenger, His Prophet and the Holy Ghost/Spirit Gabriel as His angel and not as co-equals. I apolgize if i am sounding very blunt. But i would rather tell you the posistion in Islam rather than water it down.

Forgive me if you feel i have used a wrong approach.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.