/* */

PDA

View Full Version : U.S. confirms second air strike in Somalia

~*~Serene~*~
01-24-2007, 11:15 PM
U.S. confirms second air strike in Somalia

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:01pm ET

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - The United States has conducted a second air strike in Somalia, U.S. officials said on Wednesday, as the top U.S. envoy in East Africa met an ousted Islamist leader to press for reconciliation with the government.

The new air strike came roughly two weeks after an AC-130 plane killed what Washington said were eight al Qaeda-affiliated fighters hiding among Islamist remnants pushed to Somali's southern tip by Ethiopian and Somali government forces.

One official said the targets this week were from the Somalia Islamic Courts Council (SICC), a militant group defeated by government troops with Ethiopian armor and air power in a two-week war started before Christmas.

Reuters Pictures

Editors Choice: Best pictures
from the last 24 hours.
View Slideshow

A second source said the target was an al Qaeda operative. A Pentagon spokesman declined to comment.

"We're going to go after al Qaeda and the global war on terror, wherever it takes us," said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman.

"The very nature of some of our operations are not conducive to public discussions and there will be times when there are activities and operations that I can talk to you about and there will be other times when I just won't have anything for you," he added.

Washington believes Somali Islamists have protected al Qaeda members accused of bombing U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 and an Israeli-owned Kenya hotel in 2002. Continued...

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...ike_in_somalia

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
01-25-2007, 03:41 AM
the u.s. can drop bombs anywhere - excuse: al-qaeda. bush made that very clear shortly after 9/11, which he has exploited to the hilt.

AHMED_GUREY
01-25-2007, 04:14 AM
3 months ago...

November 4, 2006

NAIROBI -- Kenyan Muslims Saturday accused the United States of lying about plans by Somali Islamists to carry out suicide bombings in Kenya and Ethiopia as a pretext to attack Somalia.

The Supreme Council of Kenyan Muslims (SUPKEM) said Washington was using the alleged attacks as a ploy to attack and destroy the lawless Horn of Africa state, where a powerful Islamic movement is rapidly gaining influence.

"America wants to cause confusion as a pretext to give it reason to once again attack and destroy the Republic of Somalia," SUPKEM chairman Abdel Ghaful El Busaidy told reporters at a press conference here.

"Kenyan Muslims strongly condemn ... the US ... [for] putting Somalia and the Union of Islamic courts as another in its axis of evil," he said.

"We Kenyans should be careful not to fall into the American propaganda," said Busaidy, who urged the Kenyan government to continue mediating the conflict between the Islamists and Somalia's largely ineffective government.

On Thursday, US embassies in Nairobi and Addis Ababa said they had information about "reports of terrorist threats emanating from extremist elements within Somalia, which target Kenya, Ethiopia, and other surrounding countries."

US officials said the Islamists' supreme leader, Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys, purportedly authorized the attacks, but the Islamists have denied what they dismissed as "baseless" allegations.

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php...4-111343-6380r

muslima06
01-26-2007, 05:03 AM
long live Somalia (insha'allah)!!!thats all I got to say...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
01-26-2007, 04:34 PM
sometimes I really cant wait until Bush is out of office, it is really embarrassing as an American to see this

IbnAbdulHakim
01-26-2007, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslima06
long live Somalia (insha'allah)!!!thats all I got to say...
may Allaah grant them a successful islamic nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHMED_GUREY
01-27-2007, 12:54 AM
could this be the reason?

Link

what are they doing there?

netprince
01-27-2007, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
could this be the reason?

Link

what are they doing there?

If the report is correct then it would certainly explain the american airstrikes.

muslima06
01-27-2007, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
may Allaah grant them a successful islamic nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amiin to your dua and hopefull we will have all msulim counties united and once again have amiir al-muminoon.

FBI
01-27-2007, 06:28 PM
:sl:

That's it I'm gonna go on a killing spree and blame it on Bin Laden.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-27-2007, 06:38 PM
^^LOL! careful bro :X

FBI
01-27-2007, 06:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
^^LOL! careful bro :X
It's all good I'll just mention Al Qaeda and I'll be a national hero.

sudais1
01-27-2007, 07:15 PM
funny

muslima06
01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI
It's all good I'll just mention Al Qaeda and I'll be a national hero.
lol that is so true(Bush# 2(3?))

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.