/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Virgin birth and Komodo Dragons?

Keltoi
01-25-2007, 12:27 AM
This is weird to me. I know some reptiles have the ability to self-fertilize eggs, but this is the first time the phenomena has been documented with Komodo Dragons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070124/...n_virgin_birth

Does this mean the ability to self-fertilize is an evolutionary response to declining population in certain species? Interesting possibility.

* After reading the article once again I realized that it has been documented in one other Komodo Dragon. Still strange, as these eggs were fertilized.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
netprince
01-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Interesting article. Ty for posting

Malaikah
01-25-2007, 01:23 AM
:sl:

I've got a better theory- someone has been a naughty Komodo dragon...:mmokay:

Just kidding lol... thats amazing though! Subhannallah... reminds me of those fish that can switch between male and female. :uuh:

What is with the thread name btw... I thought for a moment this was going to be about Jesus pbuh...

north_malaysian
01-25-2007, 01:38 AM
God is the most creative......:happy:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
01-25-2007, 12:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

I've got a better theory- someone has been a naughty Komodo dragon...:mmokay:

Just kidding lol... thats amazing though! Subhannallah... reminds me of those fish that can switch between male and female. :uuh:

What is with the thread name btw... I thought for a moment this was going to be about Jesus pbuh...
That was the name of the article on Yahoo, so I just copied that heading. Perhaps it would have been better to call it virgin fertilization.

Muezzin
01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I know certain species of frogs can change sex in single-sex environments, but I've not heard of asexual amphibians or reptiles.

Apart from Godzilla in the crappy remake.

Woodrow
01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Parthogenesis is fairly common in the lower animal kingdom. It occurs in some lizards, a bit more common in amphibians even more common in fish. by the time you get to mollusks it is the rule and not the exception.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.