/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Microwave experiments cause sponge disasters

Woodrow
01-25-2007, 04:22 AM
:sl:

What happens when you don't read all of the instructions.

"Just wanted you to know that your article on microwaving sponges and scrubbers aroused my interest. However, when I put my sponge/scrubber into the microwave, it caught fire, smoked up the house, ruined my microwave, and p'd me off," one correspondent wrote in an e-mail to Reuters.

"First, the sponge is worthless afterwards so you have to throw it out instead of using it. And second your entire house stinks like a burning tire for several hours, even with windows/doors open," complained another.

Source: http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...lso_on_reuters

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AHMED_GUREY
01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
i once put a boiled egg in the microwave to warm it up and it looked good and jummy when i took it out :happy: untill i tried to eat it and the egg exploded in my face:uuh: Whoa what a day..:hiding: what a day that was..:D

sevgi
01-25-2007, 09:50 AM
great topic...

the worst thing u can do is put aluminium foil in the microwave...u cud give ur mum a heart attack like that i swear...

my older brother...when he was about 14, 'cooked' eight or so fish fingers in the microwave...and ate em really fast coz he was late for swimming, and ended up really sick coz they werent really that cooked. i think he said he had put them in for eight mins...

and ontop of the rare cooked fish, he had a few skulls of off milk...he was throwing up and went to the toilet a little too often after that...

:laugh:

hes a lot smarter than that now...i think...:giggling:

Tania
01-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Its much better to replace the old sponges. The authors should be more responsable regarding the posted articles. :-[

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
^^ definitely, and easier!
foil in a microwave?
remmeber for future ref dont ever put foil or metal of any kind in the microwave whether thats a spoon a fork or a bowl...

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Its also a good idea to keep an eye out for cups/saucers that have a metal ring in them. Not a good idea to put em in there :-\

Has anyone seen a lightbulb in a microwave?

Media Tags are no longer supported

Pk_#2
01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
coooooooooool!!!

lol :)

Skillganon
01-25-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't think putting a light bulb into a microwave is cool. Kids in this forum might get the wrong Idea.

Pk_#2
01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Woops been there, nearly dun it too! hehe

Btw bro Ahmed Gurey, ur menno cut it in half first!

Tania
01-25-2007, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
I don't think putting a light bulb into a microwave is cool. Kids in this forum might get the wrong Idea.
The video shows clearly whats happening with the light bulb inside of the micro. And here are teens, not kids :-\

Woodrow
01-25-2007, 04:53 PM
I just tried the light bulb. Whose dumb idea was that? Now my daughter says I have to buy her a new microwave.

Just joking, but I could not resist the opportunity to write that.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-25-2007, 04:56 PM
is it tru that if u leave the microwave open the particles get out and start causing something :eek:?

SUMMAYAH
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
is it tru that if u leave the microwave open the particles get out and start causing something :eek:?
I don't think a microwave would work if the door was left open!

Woodrow
01-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Most microwave ovens will not turn on if you leave the door open. And yes, if you mess with the thing and get it turn on with the door open you risk radiation burns. Remember the things operate by a very active portion of the electro magnetic and it is radiation. Although not as powerfull as Gamma Rays, they can still cause damage to human tissue. I don't believe they travel much over a few feet in air tho. For the most part it is hard to get them to do any damage.

Tania
01-25-2007, 06:45 PM
But the radiations are not dangerous for our health :? Don't remain in the cooked food :-[

Woodrow
01-25-2007, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
But the radiations are not dangerous for our health :? Don't remain in the cooked food :-[
radiation is not a material. It is energy. The various types differ in how long it takes for them to dissipate. Visible Light is very fast gone as quick as you turn of the switch. Heat takes a bit longer to dissipate no matter what cause the heat a fire or a raytheon tube. They both cause the same effect. Like fire does not remain in your food when you take it off the stove, neither does the Microwave radiation.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-25-2007, 08:40 PM
yee i heard some dudes liver got cooked or something because he cooked something with microwave open when microwave first came out, i heard dis in chemistry class!

afriend
01-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Anybody tried the soap bar?

What's the safest way to use microwaves? Cover the food or not?

*noor
01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

What's the safest way to use microwaves? Cover the food or not?
I don't think covering the food will make it any safer, the waves are strong enough to get through anyways....but one thing about covering the food, try not to cover it with that plastic seal wrap even though its microwavable.

afriend
01-25-2007, 11:13 PM
yeah so I've been told. Didn't believe at first...

Thanks noor.

*noor
01-25-2007, 11:17 PM
no problem brother.

and one more thing.....just a little advice to everyone here......don't stand so close to the microwave when its on.....it might not harm your food but i think it can harm you

afriend
01-25-2007, 11:19 PM
lol my mum all of a sudden got so worried about something that happened to a friend of her's. she was saying she wants to get rid of the microwave. :rollseyes: People have been using microwaves all their lives I don't see them with cancer :confused:...

But I guess that's true about not standing close to the microwave.

*noor
01-25-2007, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
lol my mum all of a sudden got so worried about something that happened to a friend of her's. she was saying she wants to get rid of the microwave. :rollseyes: People have been using microwaves all their lives I don't see them with cancer :confused:...

But I guess that's true about not standing close to the microwave.
yeah as long as you don't put metal or a sponge in there or stand too close, i don't think there are any potential dangers of using a microwave.....my mother says the same from time to time about the microwave.....i guess its because of the widespread rumor that eating microwaved food will give you cancer......and that hasn't yet been proven.

Woodrow
01-25-2007, 11:24 PM
yee i heard some dudes liver got cooked or something because he cooked something with microwave open when microwave first came out, i heard dis in chemistry class!
I believe when Amana first came out with the first microwave (Amana Radar Range) nobody was aware that the energy level could be so high that the food would still be cooking for several minutes after coming out. If I recall a few people did get severe internal burns as a result of swallowing food that was still cooking.

If used improperly and if food is not allowed to set for a few minutes after cooking sever burns can happen. Also another phenomena that is potentialy dangerous is water can be heated mush higher then the boiling point and not boil, but if jared or stired it turns to instant steam and sprays super hot water all over.

IV.3. CHEMICAL REACTIONS

The microwave superheating phenomena can be exploited to accelerate homogeneous chemical reactions under atmospheric reflux conditions. To allow for kinetic comparisons with conventional heating, we carried out different common industrial reactions (esterification, oxidation...) with careful temperature monitoring by means of infrared thermometry. Temperature probe immersion in the liquid was found to seriously alter the microwave superheating behaviour. Reaction times were reduced from days under classical heating to minutes under microwave heating. The kinetics were analysed as function of the elevated temperature.

This microwave heating mode allows to conduct reactions at atmospheric pressure with the same yields and reaction times compared to those conducted in expensive closed reactors (under high pressure) in classical heating.
Source: http://www.mdpi.net/ecsoc-5/e0017/e0017.htm

Agnostic
01-26-2007, 12:58 AM
My daughter once left something in the microwave overnight and the next morning it was full of ants, I turned on the microwave thinking it would kill the the ant but they didn't seem to care they just went on about their busyness like nothing was happening.

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 01:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Agnostic
My daughter once left something in the microwave overnight and the next morning it was full of ants, I turned on the microwave thinking it would kill the the ant but they didn't seem to care they just went on about their busyness like nothing was happening.
Has absolutly no effect on most insects. In fact it won't heat most stuff that has a low water content. (Except for metal stuff)

A ruff explanation as to how it workd is it makes water molecules vibrate like mad and that vibration is the heat.

I was trying to find some fun stuff to do with a microwave and all the good sites have this as a header.

Disclaimer: Any kind of experimentation with microwave ovens doing something they are not designed to do can cause the quick destruction of the oven and/or the objects being microwaved. Never attempt to disassemble and operate a microwave oven; you may expose yourself to very hazardous levels of microwave energy.

noodles
01-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Well here is something to think about.

This was two years ago mind you. And well this girl in my grade 11 class did an experiment.

Basically, what she did was she planted 2 seeds in a pot and left them until they grew to about 4-5 inches. She kept both pots near a window that was well ventilated and recieved the same amount of sunlight.

Over a period of 6 weeks, whenever she had to water the plants, she'd take two bowls of water and use the same amount. For one bowl, she'd heat it up in the microwave and the other, she'd heat it up on the stove. Then she let it cool to room temperature.

When the water finally cooled down, she poured them into the pot.

She followed this routine for 6 weeks and her result was that the plant receiving the water from the microwave died. Whereas the plant receiving the water from the stove survived.

My teacher repeated the same experiment at his own house to confirm if god didnt have a hand in it. :) Well. The results were approixmately the same.

Anyways what my point is that, surely you dont see humans dying because they heat up their food in the microwave. However, if we were to neglect all the disease and other factors that affect the life expectency, surely we would see a decrease even if it is the most minimalistic.

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
Well here is something to think about.

This was two years ago mind you. And well this girl in my grade 11 class did an experiment.

Basically, what she did was she planted 2 seeds in a pot and left them until they grew to about 4-5 inches. She kept both pots near a window that was well ventilated and recieved the same amount of sunlight.

Over a period of 6 weeks, whenever she had to water the plants, she'd take two bowls of water and use the same amount. For one bowl, she'd heat it up in the microwave and the other, she'd heat it up on the stove. Then she let it cool to room temperature.

When the water finally cooled down, she poured them into the pot.

She followed this routine for 6 weeks and her result was that the plant receiving the water from the microwave died. Whereas the plant receiving the water from the stove survived.

My teacher repeated the same experiment at his own house to confirm if god didnt have a hand in it. :) Well. The results were approixmately the same.

Anyways what my point is that, surely you dont see humans dying because they heat up their food in the microwave. However, if we were to neglect all the disease and other factors that affect the life expectency, surely we would see a decrease even if it is the most minimalistic.
You just gave me an idea for my grand daughters science fair project.

noodles
01-26-2007, 02:51 AM
Glad I could help :)

Tania
01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Thank you to explain me about radiations :). First i thought at uraniu radiations which are dangerous for the health.

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Thank you to explain me about radiations :). First i thought at uraniu radiations which are dangerous for the health.
Radiation is a very broad term. Basicaly it is any form of energy that can be transmitted without a media.

Light
Heat (Technicaly not radiation itself, but the result of it)
Radio and TV signals
Radar

Lots of others some harmless some dangerous

Muslim Knight
01-27-2007, 11:02 AM
OKay I have some confession to make:

I put an egg inside the microwave oven and quick heated for a minute. The egg exploded with a loud bang but the oven is fine. It created quite a mess.

Tania
01-27-2007, 11:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
OKay I have some confession to make:

I put an egg inside the microwave oven and quick heated for a minute. The egg exploded with a loud bang but the oven is fine. It created quite a mess.
Have you tried other things too, which made mess :?

Muslim Knight
01-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Have you tried other things too, which made mess :?
No. Ever since the egg got exploded I have repented from doing such silly acts.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.