/* */

PDA

View Full Version : marriage without wali invalid?

doodlebug
01-25-2007, 04:55 PM
assalam alaykum peeps

Sorry I've been away for a while but I left for Egypt, got married, had the honeymoon and now life has been busy. I heard there is a thread for me in the sister's area but I keep not logging in here often enough and it keeps saying I'm not allowed in there. Must be an automatic time thing or something.

Anyhoo......I have been told by a few that my marriage is invalid because I did not have a wali present at my marriage.

A little history......I am a new convert...just before Ramadan new. I am 41 years old and have been divorced once before. My family is 100% Catholic and totally disapprove of my marriage because he is muslim, so obviously going to them for advice would be pointless.imsad

I have many friends who are muslim and a few did check out my husband before I married him. Also, I met his cousin who is an imam of a mosque in Cairo and we chatted for a bit. I also got to be good friends with his best friend and jokingly called him my wali a few times because he gave my hubby to be heck a day or two before the wedding, but it was in jest that I referred to him that way.

We got married in the ministry of marriage with the required two witnesses, one of which was his cousin the imam. (or is it iman????:-[ )

So.........................not that I want to hear from anymore peeps that I've lived in sin so to speak for the past month or so but............what's the ruling on this? Going to ************** it says that the hanafi way of thinking says that because I am a convert I do not need a wali.

what say you?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.