/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Profession ???

shible
01-26-2007, 03:50 AM
:sl:

Dear brothers and sisters.

we know the basic profession is to be a Muslim ( or Any for friends from other religions).

But wat is the profession that we seek in this Dunia.

I shall Begin with Shible ( it's me ).

I am a Software engineer

Expertise : Reporting

I hope that i would be recieving some support from our Forum members

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
01-26-2007, 03:56 AM
I am a junior legal practitioner (some people call me "....a lawyer")

Expertise: doing legal research...

Muezzin
01-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I am a law student

Expertise: procastrinating and being a cynical git.

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Life time Student.

Paying jobs were:

Military Pilot
Military Dog trainer
Farmer
Physiological Psychologist
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
Para-Legal
Psychiatric Technician
Draughtsman
CPS Sexual abuse investigator
Small business owner
Paramedic

Quote often I held down at least two jobs at the same time. The only Jobs I had as a single Job with no other job at the same time were as a pilot and When I was an Investigator with CPS. A physiological psychologist is basicaly research and the pay is poor. During those years I kept second jobs as a Draughtsman and as a paramedic. I had my own consulting firm while I was working as a Voc. Rehab Counselor for the State of Louisiana

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sabbir_1
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Military Pilot
Military Dog trainer
Farmer
Para-Legal
Psychiatric Technician
Draughtsman
Small business owner
Paramedic
wow, man thats a lot of jobs.. mashallah you've had a successful career. you must be loaded too..lol.. how old are you?, takes lot of time to become a pilot.

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
wow, man thats a lot of jobs.. mashallah you've had a successful career. you must be loaded too..lol.. how old are you?, takes lot of time to become a pilot.
I'm 67 years old. I actualy started flying Piper Cubs when I was 14 got my private License when I was 16. The AF taught me to fly an F-86 very rapidly.

I was still flying a Cessna 192 up until 2 years ago.

Far from being loaded. Had my ups and downs. Been what you could term wealthy on a few occasions and have been absolutly penniless more often. Currently living on retirement income from my old consulting firm, An Air Force service connected disability pension and Sociol security.

Due to some very serious problems 2 years ago I lost every bit of my worldly possesions, farm, home, car, etc.(Not the first time I had that happen) So, also because of health problems I now live with my youngest daughter. Starting over and if Health and time permits, I'll try something new.

I actually left out a number of jobs in the list. A favorite was as a newspaper cartoonist. I had a weekly comic strip running in a few newspapers for a few years. But, I was the only one who understood my cartoons

Sabbir_1
01-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Due to some very serious problems 2 years ago I lost every bit of my worldly possesions, farm, home, car, etc.(Not the first time I had that happen) So, also because of health problems I now live with my youngest daughter. Starting over and if Health and time permits, I'll try something new.

67, i think your the oldest member on this forum...

Where you happy when you had all that wealth..?

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 02:06 PM
67, i think your the oldest member on this forum...

Where you happy when you had all that wealth..?
Enjoying life yes, Happy no. As far as happiness goes I am much more happy now. Hopefully I will finaly do something constructive and use the remainder of my time trying to serve Allah(swt). Stop and think a person who has found happiness is not going to have any need in jumping from career after career and looking for excitement and adventure.

All I gained is I made sufficient mistakes in life to finaly learn what is important. That was the best education I finaly got.

Sabbir_1
01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Enjoying life yes, Happy no. As far as happiness goes I am much more happy now. Hopefully I will finaly do something constructive and use the remainder of my time trying to serve Allah(swt). Stop and think a person who has found happiness is not going to have any need in jumping from career after career and looking for excitement and adventure.

All I gained is I made sufficient mistakes in life to finaly learn what is important. That was the best education I finaly got.
bro are you a revert to Islam..?

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 02:11 PM
bro are you a revert to Islam..?
Come this March it will be 2 years since I said my Shahadah

iqbal_soofi
01-26-2007, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible

we know the basic profession is to be a Muslim ( or Any for friends from other religions).

I am a Software engineer

What do you understand by the word "Profession".

When you that the basic profession is to be a Muslim, then it means that you earn your honest living by following the path of Islam.

Now let's see how the holy prophet and his companions used to earn money after they introduced the Islamic system completely.

1. Hazrat Muhammad (SAW) made a few trips for business before he became the prophet. His wife was a wealthy woman, he didn't need to make money to fulfill her basic financial needs. Therefore, he could get enough time to spend in the cave of Hera. He absolutely did no business after they migrated to Madina. It was in madina that he they needed money again. They didn't earn any money through agricultural or industrial production. They had no business or trade as well. Only way they could make money was to make a profession of Muslim Mujahids. They served the nearby tribes by providing them security services (Islam means security). They recieved Jazia (Fee) from the weaker tribes in return for their services. Every Mujahid used to get equal share from the jazia as well as from the booty (Maal-e-ghaneemut). So this became the profession of every Muslim after migration.

Note: Kafirs of Mecca attacked them three times only because they saw Muslims making a parallel power and as an emerging threat to their power.

netprince
01-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Expertise >>>>>> Loafing:D

Sabbir_1
01-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Come this March it will be 2 years since I said my Shahadah
Mashallah.. How did you convert..what bought you to islam..

Sabbir_1
01-26-2007, 02:18 PM
mashallah we got loads of educated brothers and sisters on this forum.. im currently unemployed..

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Mashallah.. How did you convert..what bought you to islam..
I posted a brief story of my reverting in the comparative religions section, under the sticky thread about reverts. I believe it is on page 9 I posted that right after I joined this forum.

Sabbir_1
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I posted a brief story of my reverting in the comparative religions section, under the sticky thread about reverts. I believe it is on page 9 I posted that right after I joined this forum.
checking it out now..

Sabbir_1
01-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I was expecting it to be a bit more detailed bro, anyway interesting read..

http://www.islamicboard.com/introduc...-about-me.html

i couldn't find in the comparitve religion thread, i only found this one from looking at the threads you created. is it this the one.

Woodrow
01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
I was expecting it to be a bit more detailed bro, anyway interesting read..

http://www.islamicboard.com/introduc...-about-me.html

i couldn't find in the comparitve religion thread, i only found this one from looking at the threads you created. is it this the one.
Nope, this one

Re: Stories of Muslim Reverts! - Post yours here! - 05-22-2006
I did not revert until I was 65 years old. I knew very much about Islam, in a scholastic manner for many years. But, I never saw what it meant until I was 65.

I was born in a very good Christian home. Did everything in line with the teachings of the Church. I felt very close to God(swt) and had accepted Jesus(pbuh) as my personal savior.

When I reached my mid twenties, I still loved God(swt) but I no longer agreed with the teachings of the Church. I became Buddhist, not so much as a religion, but rather as a philosophy of life.

I was very blessed with having the opportunity to pursue a very good academic life. One of my Favorite studies was languages. I also was very much interested in Philosophy and Comparative Religions. My undergraduate days were actualy in a Seminary.

My first career was as an USAF Combat Pilot. After being severly injured my Military career came to an early end. I then pursued mechanical engineering and ended up working as a Draftsman (Draughtsman for the old spelling). During that time I also continued my education torn between Biology and Psychology. I also had the opportunity to do considerable traveling. Lived in quite a few different places. I kept my interest in Languages and pursued the Arabic Language. During that time I did manage to get a copy of the Qur'an all in Arabic. I used it as a means to develope my Arabic skills. I was also interested in reading it as an informational source about Islam.

Well during the years I had 3 Children 2 girls and a son. The two Girls were interested in the Arabic Language. At an early age they reverted to Islam. My grandchildren were all born Muslim. So, I had plenty of contac with Muslims. But, I still felt it was not what I was seeking.

Finaly one day when I was 65 years old I decided to brush up on my language skills by reading the Qur'an again. For some reason, it looked different. I was not looking at it as a scholar, I was FEELINGit, I do not know how long or how many times I read it in the next day or two. But, then I knew, I had to say the Shahadah, I said it to Allah(swt) immediatly and the very next Friday I said it at the Masjid.
That was the begining of my final and best career. It is the one I am on now and it is the only one that has any true value.

shible
01-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Assalamu alaikkum(warah).

I am very happy to meet people and professionals from variuos nations able to co-ordinate.

Insha Allah if this thread goes fine by the grace of Allah,

then we shall we meeting more new Brother's and sister's and through this we could be able to solve some issues between our fellow members.

I hope everything would go fine by the grace of Allah

Assalamu alaikkum (warah)..

FollowingAlhuda
01-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm a law student...but i don't like it :(

So in the future insha allah i will be a kitchen princess :p

seeker_of_ilm
01-26-2007, 08:38 PM

Profession - Swashbuckling Pirate

Expertise - Insult swordfighting, and digging up treasure.

:w:

Oh and I'm also soon to be a Civil Engineering Student insha'Allah

iqbal_soofi
01-26-2007, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible

I am a Software engineer

Why worry about profession for Dunia? Why can't you follow the Sunnah? Marry some wealthy widow and spend your time for Islam. You'd be successful in Duniya as well as in Akhira. You see plenty of successful people make easy money from any profession they choose. They spend a part of it on Islam. Nobody points at them for making unfair money. In this way they're successful in Dunia. The religious scholars who get funds from them give them certificate of good Muslim. Hopefully, they'd make it good in akhira too. Learn from the example of successful people.

Helena
01-26-2007, 10:16 PM

i am student...final year of studying BA education studies....another year to go inshAllah will be stuyding PGCE inshAllah...

After that...inshAllah will be a qualified primary teacher inshAllah......

i have other interest such as learning arabic, hoping to study islamic studies......only Allah(swt) knows wot my future holds......

actually mayb become islamic teacher inshAllah in a different country....in Saudi Arabia.....inshAllah.....

i have begun my journey.....lets see where it takes moi.......

shible
01-27-2007, 03:02 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by iqbal_soofi
Why worry about profession for Dunia? Why can't you follow the Sunnah? Marry some wealthy widow and spend your time for Islam. You'd be successful in Duniya as well as in Akhira. You see plenty of successful people make easy money from any profession they choose. They spend a part of it on Islam. Nobody points at them for making unfair money. In this way they're successful in Dunia. The religious scholars who get funds from them give them certificate of good Muslim. Hopefully, they'd make it good in akhira too. Learn from the example of successful people.
I agree with all your thoughts but the reason for me to create a thread in this topic is

I wish to help our fellow brothers and sisters,

Since most of us do share information and support towards our Religion Islam. I am really proud. But it is also said that we should also be helpful to all the people

If i live in a way you describe

Why can't you follow the Sunnah? Marry some wealthy widow and spend your time for Islam. You'd be successful in Duniya as well as in Akhira. You see plenty of successful people make easy money from any profession they choose. They spend a part of it on Islam. .
(Insha allah i shall surely try to follow most of those points of your).

I can only help people in my city or nation

but by this thread we shall try achieve activities upto some extent. such as

1. helping our brothers or sisters with knowledge, wealth, busines oppurtunity and employment oppurtunity not only within a country but wide across the Globe.

If i am wrong in any case of my thought was wrong in any sense then please do Correct me

lolwatever
01-27-2007, 03:12 AM
Why worry about profession for Dunia? Why can't you follow the Sunnah? Marry some wealthy widow and spend your time for Islam. You'd be successful in Duniya as well as in Akhira.
No that's not right. Choosing someoen for their wealth to depend on her means you've lost half your qiyaamah (i.e. responsibility of taking care and maintaining your household)... because Allah says:

34. Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allâh has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allâh and to their husbands), and guard in the husband's absence what Allâh orders them to guard (e.g. their chastity, their husband's property, etc.)....

So by putting the obligation on your wife to spend on you, you've stuffed half your responsibility.

That's not to say the wife shouldn't be wealthy or can't run a business (if she's fulfilling her responsibilities), it just means that you shouldn't ask her to do more than the hard work that's already assigned to her.

The sahabah where all full-time workers, yet they still foudn time to serve Islam properly.

in the case that the husband is married to a wealthy woman and he is poor, ofcourse she'll be extremely rewarded very very very greatly if she still helps him, hence why Khadijah is ranked so highly and with esteem since not only she helped the prophet, but also fundd his entire dawah.

take care all the bset :w:

lolwatever
01-27-2007, 03:13 AM
now.. back to topic pls :statisfie

dougmusr
01-27-2007, 03:18 AM
I'm a software engineer, but have like Woodrow bounced around a bit. 4 years as enlisted in USAF repairing Weather Electronics, 4 years commissioned USNR teaching math and electronics at Naval Nuclear Power School. Field service in Cat Scan, Nuclear Med equipment, software/firmware engineer in fields like chemical process control, flow cytometry. BA Chemistry from a Christian College. Post bac work in EE, business, health care management, biomedical engineering.

shible
01-27-2007, 03:36 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by dougmusr
I'm a software engineer,

4 years as enlisted in USAF repairing Weather Electronics,

4 years commissioned USNR teaching math and electronics at Naval Nuclear Power School.

Field service in Cat Scan, Nuclear Med equipment, software/firmware engineer in fields like chemical process control, flow cytometry.

BA Chemistry from a Christian College.

Post bac work in EE, business, health care management, biomedical engineering.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Life time Student.

Paying jobs were:

Military Pilot
Military Dog trainer
Farmer
Para-Legal
Psychiatric Technician
Draughtsman
Small business owner
Paramedic
I shall first congratulate dougmusr and woodrow

I am really proud that i am in the forum were People are so powerfull in achieving themselves in both the Dheen and Dhunia.

Since most of us who are working on a single profession for many years think we really have achieved many things

but we compared to them we have just touched 30% of growth.

I mean that you need a huge courage to leave the present job and change your expertise. since this is were we usually feel a bit insecured

I shall take both of your efforts as a role model i shall surely help each and everyone in each and every means and will dedicate myself more towards hard work on all aspects

lolwatever
01-27-2007, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dougmusr
I'm a software engineer, but have like Woodrow bounced around a bit. 4 years as enlisted in USAF repairing Weather Electronics, 4 years commissioned USNR teaching math and electronics at Naval Nuclear Power School. Field service in Cat Scan, Nuclear Med equipment, software/firmware engineer in fields like chemical process control, flow cytometry. BA Chemistry from a Christian College. Post bac work in EE, business, health care management, biomedical engineering.
inerestin, quick question... when u design software for chem process controle tc... do they make u do a course where u need 2 understand 'fundamentals of chem process control' so you can understand the logic required behind the software ur gonna b designing?

thanks!

lolwatever
01-27-2007, 04:07 AM
btw... my expertise: lolling :X

Asyur an-Nagi
01-27-2007, 06:04 AM
dentist
oral surgeon
drafted to marine force (1 wks ago) for probationary 6 months period as a field med officer

shible
01-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Assalamu alaikkum (warah)

i can see most of our members are unique in their identity.

Keep on going guys

The Ruler
01-27-2007, 07:16 PM

profession - student

expertise - sarcasm (that people fail to recognise) :mmokay:

limitless
01-27-2007, 08:06 PM

Professions:

Past Ones
Certified Management accountant- assistant student employee [3months]
Healthy Living Trainer for teens (fat people) - student employee [2months]
Best Buy General Merchandiser - summer employment [2months]
Accountant Assistant - student employment [3months]
Brampton Guardian - student news article craft writer [3months]
Wal-Mart: [3months]
-General Merchandiser
-Customer Service Specialiset
-Cashier
Student

Present
Student
Practising Muslim brother (most of it 65%)

Yep, thats it lol. I had networking with teachers and people that is how I got those past jobs and got a chance to experience new things.

FBI
01-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Profession-Full time freeloader

AmarFaisal
01-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Assalam-o-alaikum:
Profession: Classroom Teacher
Once when I was in grade 9 , my teacher asked us to write an essay on what we would like to be when we grow up. My best friend wrote she'd like to be a teacher. I was very angry with her as I tought that we two being excellent students of the class should choose some really outstanding proffessions for us, like doctor, engineer, lawyer etc.
I never knew then that my fate will bring me to be a teacher myself.

Expertise: I just n only love to be a mother more than anything else!! The best job in the world:) :)

dougmusr
01-29-2007, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
inerestin, quick question... when u design software for chem process controle tc... do they make u do a course where u need 2 understand 'fundamentals of chem process control' so you can understand the logic required behind the software ur gonna b designing?

thanks!
I worked at a small company that was willing to bet my chemistry background combined with my software/firmware experience would be sufficient for understanding process control. It turned out that some of the equipment used a controller which was programmed in a language called Forth. I picked up a shareware version and learned the basics before going to the interview.

My experience is that smaller companies are the best bet when attempting to gain a breadth of experience since there is more opportunity to do a little bit of everything.

snakelegs
01-29-2007, 02:03 AM
i am a welfare bum.
woodrow - you have to write a book!

sevgi
01-29-2007, 02:16 AM
profession: studying arts (english lietrature, medieval history and anthropology)

i am also a tutor
and i sell imported goods (hijabs, jewlery n stuff)
i have worked in a kebab shop
and a chemist jst customer service(no dispensing)
and i intend to pik up a cleaning job for after uni hours.
i am a student mentor at a highschool

and a youth club representative
and an interfaith dialogue official
(=to find out which organisations i work for, jst pm me.)

(i like to keep busy)

expertise: cleaning, singing, being a frend, writing.

north_malaysian
01-29-2007, 04:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by FollowingAlhuda
I'm a law student...but i don't like it :(
I think only 10% of law students REALLY enjoy their subjects... the most awful of all ---> "Jurisprudence" (maybe because my lecturer was so BORING..)

north_malaysian
01-29-2007, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i am a welfare bum.
woodrow - you have to write a book!
Inshallah, I'll buy that book! I love to read books written by reverts... the best of all "Road to Mecca" by Muhammad Asad...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.