/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Vs Scholar

sudais1
01-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Salaam bro' and sis

I have my self in a two way struggle between committing myself to soccer or becoming a scholar, In The summer im expected to be at Chelsea but haven't made my mind up. I love Soccer yet when i look at some Sheikh's and memorize the Quran I fall in love with Islam and tell myself I'll pursue becoming a scholar. Likewise when I kick a ball or watch soccer more notably Arsenal i tell myself I'll Pursue Soccer:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have no clue what to do, Im lost in my own world, plz help :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FBI
01-27-2007, 06:51 PM
:sl:

Chelsea
You made it to the acadamy? Hmm I'd go with the deen since I have two left feet :okay:

Kittygyal
01-27-2007, 06:51 PM
salmualikum
now now, we have a soccer dude here mashallah. Akhi well obviously from my point of veiw i will say 'soccer' :X why? because i love soccer to bits but on the other hand islam-Ud-Deen aswel. so why not do two things at once:?
Ma'assalama

sudais1
01-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I want to study In Makkah and Madinah yet Chelsea is in London, i wouldn't mind if they converted all the players to Islam and moved Stamford bridge to Madinah :lol:

its not only "football" vs "scholar" it's London vs Hijaz, to me London can't be compared with Hijaz but thats where my "football" lies

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sudais1
I want to study In Makkah and Madinah yet Chelsea is in London, i wouldn't mind if they converted all the players to Islam and moved Stamford bridge to Madinah :lol:

its not only "football" vs "scholar" it's London vs Hijaz, to me London can't be compared with Hijaz but thats where my "football" lies
salmualikum.
Akhi mahsallah your into your deen aswel am proud of yea :)
now where exactly do you live? can't you go to London:? but my opinion is why don't you play soccer like i do aswel with friends && do Hifz aswel, && then maybe from there you can become a soccer 'actual' player. But your gonna go in Chelsea right :uuh: now thats imsad
Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
01-27-2007, 07:20 PM
scholar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no CONTEST!! NONE!! AT ALL!!

soccers wont have a higher place then earnest scholars fillah :p

The Ruler
01-27-2007, 07:22 PM
hmm...soccer...wearing pants showing your awrah :?...you wanna do that akhi?...make your mind up...playing soccer, you'll miss your prayers no matter how much you try...you want that?...surely not!

:w:

Kittygyal
01-27-2007, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+
hmm...soccer...wearing pants showing your awrah :?...you wanna do that akhi?...make your mind up...playing soccer, you'll miss your prayers no matter how much you try...you want that?...surely not!

salmualikum.
well Ukthi not really you don't HAVE to wear shorts to show your awrah && no about prayers there's always a place were you can pray && you don't have to miss them. Also if theirs like 2mins left or so then obviously he can do Kartha.
Ma'assalama

Al-Zaara
01-27-2007, 07:28 PM

Scholar, much more respected and a great chance to get closer to Islam.

You can play as much football as you want in Jannah, insha'Allah.

sudais1
01-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I'll pray in the center circle :lol:, Also Im live in Calgary and go to Hifz school- Fulltime

Kittygyal
01-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I'll pray in the center circle :lol:
salmualikum.
you wish akhi lol
but would you want all the audience to actually see you all the dudettes && dudes:? erm nah not really but theirs always a room inside near wear the changing rooms are wear you can pray. like when David Bekham comes out from that ally way that white thingy bob whatever you call it lol theres a room there aswel. seen it ma self on T.V && it's true.
But Akhi i will say stick to a Scholar && then you can still play soccer tho.
Ma'assalama

Kittygyal
01-27-2007, 07:35 PM
I'll pray in the center circle :lol:, Also Im live in Calgary and go to Hifz school- Fulltime
salmualikum.
Akhi may i ask is it boarding school where you live there:? && also don't you play soccer there:? && is it mixed:? (don't think so, but just asking inshallah)
Ma'assalama

limitless
01-27-2007, 07:40 PM

I am going to say, scholar. Simply because soccer is a sport where you will injure yourself no matter how good you are. Every sport puts a human body to its limit and once you reach that limit, you will be disappointed. In addition, soccer has the highest rates for physical injures; such as broken bones, ribs, and fractures. That sport is not worth it, and sports don't really accomplish anything anyway, hence stick with Scholar. It will open more doors to great opportunities and your faith in Islam will improve.

More pros on scholar than soccer. Soccer has cons and it will lead to fitnah because soccer players tend to sleep with the ladies; that's a fact.

Also, I agree with kittygyal sister on the fact its called soccer, not football because I'm Canadian ;D and in North America that is what's it called.

Kittygyal
01-27-2007, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

I am going to say, scholar. Simply because soccer is a sport where you will injure yourself no matter how good you are. Every sport puts a human body to its limit and once you reach that limit, you will be disappointed. In addition, soccer has the highest rates for physical injures; such as broken bones, ribs, and fractures. That sport is not worth it, and sports don't really accomplish anything anyway, hence stick with Scholar. It will open more doors to great opportunities and your faith in Islam will improve.

More pros on scholar than soccer. Soccer has cons and it will lead to fitnah because soccer players tend to sleep with the ladies; that's a fact.

salamualikum.
your right akhi imsad it's true there will be a caious with all dudettes indeed. ill stay play soccer with your muslim brothers like i do with my nephews && neices && friends it's better like that akhi, && inshallah then you can go && study in Madinah as a scholar inshallah Allah Azwajal.
Ma'assalama

P.S ofcourse it's called 'soccer' not football thats different to soccer were ze best dude :X

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-27-2007, 08:14 PM
I would say scholar because basically soccer is nothing compared to it. You can be the best Muslim and still have fun on the side in ur spare time. you'll only be closer to Allah(swt) which is our main goal and still be your fun self, Insha'Allah :)

The Ruler
01-27-2007, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Also if theirs like 2mins left or so then obviously he can do Kartha.
Ma'assalama

so on the day of Judgement, if Allah asks 'why did you miss the prayer?', you would answer...because i had an important game i had to play :?

plus as aju said:

Scholar, much more respected and a great chance to get closer to Islam.
:)

Kittygyal
01-27-2007, 08:48 PM
so on the day of Judgement, if Allah asks 'why did you miss the prayer?', you would answer...because i had an important game i had to play :?

plus as aju said:

salamualikum.
true, thats why bwhen i read brother 'limitless' post i said that true because hence we can play soccer when ever but becoming a scholar && when we have the oppertunity it's better to just become a scholar inshallah && play soccer with his brothers inshallah.
Ma'assalama

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Ask yourself, which is better for my Dunya and Aakhirah? Pray Istikhara.

If you ask my opinion, I would say a scholar. Being a scholor, you can take a break and play soccer with other brothers etc, but getting into soccer completely, you'll get pulled into that lifestyle whether you want it or not and put into risk your Aakhirah.

Sabbir_1
01-27-2007, 10:28 PM
u wanna become a soccer player or a Scholar?

Snowflake
01-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Scholar for def! But you don't have to give up playing footie.. you can set up a muslim broz football club. That'd be wicked!

sudais1
01-28-2007, 01:59 AM
thx for all your replies, Whats weird is that i prayed istigfarh one time and as soon as i said salaam, my bro kicked a soccer ball into the room, yet my heart and mind tell me to be Scholar but I watch football and I say wow I wanna be like Thierry Henry :lol:

and kittygyal my hifz school in Calgary has only about 20 boys and 2 teachers, we do 3 hours hifz and 3 hours academics so you dont fall behind like other hifz school which dont have academics. Its not boarding so I see family daily and ya i play soccer "footy" during my break, Its only boys for now. The school itself is within the Calgary Islamic school but were separate from them. Alhamdulliah the school itself is going good but with a max of 20 students theres a big waiting list, theres over a hundred. Many students came and left because the program was very hard and tough. Calgary is a big city and Canada's Oil capital. InshaAllah i will finish In December of 2007 and get my Shahadah (certificate of Hafiz) from Buffalo, New York's Darul Uloom.

sudais1
01-28-2007, 02:32 AM
There are a lot of great Footballer muslims, not Zidane since he dosen't practice Islam but Frank Ribery is a true Muslim, when you watch him before games he prays on the pitch and call Islam his motive, Hes a convert Masha Allah

sevgi
01-28-2007, 03:17 AM
im turkish n soccer is crazy in turkey...everyone plays. and there are some players who refuse to play a game before cuma prayer n stuff. they are sometimes in the spotlight but they realise that soccer comes after salat.

im sure the answer will be clear for u when u listen to your conscience.(as sad as that sounds).:D

sudais1
01-28-2007, 05:25 AM
So I guess the lot advise me to not get into football completely, Good alhamdullilah i going to pray salat and call my Agent a.k.a Dad and tell him my thoughts about football inshaAllah with all your Advice in Mind, JazaKallah, more advice would be great!

sevgi
01-28-2007, 07:16 AM
if you becoem a good player, you will be respected no matter what u do, if you become a crap player, they will make a joke out of your beliefs and maybe blame ur downfall on ur religious practices...but islam teaches us to live life, in the halal sphere...and enjoy is life also. do both...and as u said...Allah and islam first, no matter what, but that doesnt mean you need to go and become an islamic scholar.

Malaikah
01-28-2007, 07:35 AM
hmm...soccer...wearing pants showing your awrah :?...

So true! And even if you do wear knee-length shorts, you will still be playing with/against men who are showing their arwah, and it is haram for even men to look at the awrah of other men.

Unless, of course, you're playing against other Muslims, but I don't see how you could turn that into a professional career.

If you have the chance to be a scholar, then go for it!!

sudais1
01-28-2007, 07:47 AM
how do u show ur awrah , you wear shorts and under it boxers??

Malaikah
01-28-2007, 07:54 AM

What?:?

The awrah for men is from their navel to the knee, they aren't allowed to show that area to anyone but their wives and they are also forbidden from looking at the awrah of other men...

sudais1
01-28-2007, 08:14 AM
oh that makes sense i thought the awrah was only the "navel" area lol

Durrah
01-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Not everyone has the capablities to be a scholar or soccer player so if your talented with both, then thats cool.

Maybe you could do both, you know become a soccer player and then use that to fund your islamic studies in the future and possiably for others too (seeing as soccer players earn alot of money)

FBI
01-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Maybe you could do both, you know become a soccer player and then use that to fund your islamic studies in the future and possiably for others too (seeing as soccer players earn alot of money)
It aint that simple Both are every time consuming and are virtually impossable to do side by side.

NiceGuy1987
01-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Assalamu Allykum wr wb,

mmm... its up to u but if i was in that position i would choose a scolar and play soccer in my free time not playing the sports is haram but the environment its in with girls screaming for u, beer etc basicly its up to u do istikrah ask ur family and friends and see wat they say

AnonymousPoster
01-28-2007, 12:40 PM

I'd say do the football. Meanwhile you can still do your hifz.

Requirements for a scholar include being a hafiz, intelligence, knowledge of Arabic language. These prerequisites are easy to do inshallah whilst doing your football.

If you do become successfull in football then in the off-season you can do your Islamic studies. If you are that successful, then you will have enough money to study in your own time.

Scholarship can wait, but being a footballer won't, as your body will grow older/weaker etc. Your football career would be from 16-35, you can carry on with scholarship fulltime after 35.

Also for dawah, being a footballer, especially a successful one inshallah, will be good.

Kittygyal
01-28-2007, 12:41 PM
thx for all your replies, Whats weird is that i prayed istigfarh one time and as soon as i said salaam, my bro kicked a soccer ball into the room, yet my heart and mind tell me to be Scholar but I watch football and I say wow I wanna be like Thierry Henry :lol:

and kittygyal my hifz school in Calgary has only about 20 boys and 2 teachers, we do 3 hours hifz and 3 hours academics so you dont fall behind like other hifz school which dont have academics. Its not boarding so I see family daily and ya i play soccer "footy" during my break, Its only boys for now. The school itself is within the Calgary Islamic school but were separate from them. Alhamdulliah the school itself is going good but with a max of 20 students theres a big waiting list, theres over a hundred. Many students came and left because the program was very hard and tough. Calgary is a big city and Canada's Oil capital. InshaAllah i will finish In December of 2007 and get my Shahadah (certificate of Hafiz) from Buffalo, New York's Darul Uloom.
salamualikum.
you wana be like 'Thierry Henry ' lol haha that will be the day akhi hehe ;D

okay, so akhi you go to an islamic school with all males right:? so why don't you play soccer with them like after school:? maybe stick to your education && then inshallah still play soccer, like myself is doing Aalimah course && then aswel i play soccer with my friends && neices when i get free time && a person like me never gets free time it's very hard but i make abit tho, inshallah you can study on with education && play soccer aswel like your cousin brothers or brothers. It is difficult because like a mad crazy soccer fan you wana play aswel no matter how the weather is, but you gotcha remember islam-ud-deen comes first akhi inshallah :)

all the best akhi, && you can always kick && shoot in the net once finished school :lol:
Ma'assalama

AnonymousPoster
01-28-2007, 12:53 PM

are people forgetting the short shorts issue?

if you are going to do soccer make sure that the environment is HALAL

Kittygyal
01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester

are people forgetting the short shorts issue?

if you are going to do soccer make sure that the environment is HALAL
salamualikum.
Akhi/Ukthi you don't have to wear shorts whilst playing soccer, you can wear long pants aswel, && also about 'halal' environement these days everywhere you go theres fitna i.e opposite gender, && also you can't play soccer inside like a house nor a 'hall' because it's too stuffy && you need fresh air. look on the bright side can play soccer in a field but people walk pass aswel so there's no 'halal' place were you can play actually if you think about it. :hiding:
Ma'assalama

'Abd al-Baari
01-28-2007, 05:20 PM
SALAMS

Bro you can travel to Makkah/Madinah for your studies and play football there during the weekends and on holiday, Saudi is getting more and more into the whole football thing there and they have many teams. Anyway you should remember what is better for you, not just now but in the hereafter aswell. And if all goes wrong, you can have all the time in Jannah to play all the football you can (Inshallah)

Allah knows best

Umar001
01-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one that thinks soccer is border line haram, what do footballers wear? Shorts, do they expose their thighs? Yes, are we meanto expose our tighs? Thats the billion dollar question.

snakelegs
01-29-2007, 12:01 AM
scholar!
most athletes only have a short career.

Umar001
01-29-2007, 01:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
scholar!
most athletes only have a short career.

Yep, plus snake you know about the fact that knowledge that one passes on is one of the three good deeds that continue to get you reward after you have died! So scholar is definetly longer than soccer lol.

snakelegs
01-29-2007, 02:09 AM
Al Habeshi made a good point.
it boils down to: would you rather spend your life (however long your career as an athlete would be) kicking a ball around or learning and sharing knowledge? which would be more rewarding? to me, it's no contest.

AnonymousPoster
01-29-2007, 02:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Akhi/Ukthi you don't have to wear shorts whilst playing soccer, you can wear long pants aswel, && also about 'halal' environement these days everywhere you go theres fitna i.e opposite gender, && also you can't play soccer inside like a house nor a 'hall' because it's too stuffy && you need fresh air. look on the bright side can play soccer in a field but people walk pass aswel so there's no 'halal' place were you can play actually if you think about it. :hiding:

If there is no halal way to play soccer, then the logical option would be to not play soccer, right?? It isn't like the fate of the Muslim ummah rests in the hands of this one person becoming a professional soccer player!:rolleyes:

format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Am I the only one that thinks soccer is border line haram, what do footballers wear? Shorts, do they expose their thighs? Yes, are we meanto expose our tighs? Thats the billion dollar question.
:thumbs_up exaclty

Abu GG
01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Man watching football is so boring

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-29-2007, 02:51 PM
:salamext:

^^^Unbelievable. A brother who shares my thoughts.

Akhee I advise you to become a scholar, or a student of knowledge if you are not capable of being a scholar. Purify your intention and you will be successful bi idhnillah.

Shaykh 'Uthaymeen (rahimullah) says:

"There is no comparison between one who has knowledge and one who does not, just as there is no comparison between the living and the dead, and one who hears and one who is deaf, and one who can see and one who is blind.

Knowledge is light with which one is guided, and with it removes one from the darkness (of ignorance) to the light (of knowledge, i.e. Islaam).

With knowledge, Allaah raises the ranks of whom He wishes from His creation:

{Allaah will exalt in degree those of you who believe, and those who have been granted knowledge}, [Soorah al-Mujaadalah, Aayah 11]."

Kitaabul-'Ilm

Sami Zaatari
01-29-2007, 03:04 PM
i say become a soccer player, because u dont play soccer all ur life, by 30-35 ur done, and u continue to pursue becoming a scholar then, and theres no reason why u cant become smarter over time while being a soccer player, its not like u have NO TIME u will actually have extra time, because all u do is train go play football, then u have spare time, ur job isnt getting in ur way at all, u will have enough time to study ur deen and gain knowledge to use after ur done from ur soccer. secondly, u will make a lot of contacts if u go on to become a footballer, think of how much dawah u can make in that field, many many footballers are now converting to Islam, including top big players, and as u know fans love their players, if they see one becomes a muslim they will say wow let me see this faith of Islam, and they will check it out and who knows maybe they will convert. u can spread knowledge while playing soccer and then continue doing it full time after soccer is done, its a win-win situation, u get both, and u get 2 audiences. :) become a soccer scholar :)

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Seeking knowledge when one is young, is like etching on a stone. - al-Hasan al-Basree

Mabaahith fee Ahkaam al-Fatwa - Page 28

Anyone who spends his time studying something inferior, abandoning higher studies of which he is capable, is like someone who sows corn in a field capable of growing wheat, or who plants bushes in a soil which could support palm trees and olives.

al-Akhlaaq was-Siyar - Ibn Hazam al-Andalusee

Sami Zaatari
01-29-2007, 03:07 PM
and as i said, many players in england and europe are becomming muslim, so when a team has muslims player in it like arsenal for instance, the ignorant ppl who think all muslims are terrorists will say heyy i got a muslim in my team, they must be ok, and this will start to change ppls view on muslims that were all terrorists and so on :) football is the place to make dawah!

Erundur
01-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Frank Ribery is a Muslim Revert, thought that was interesting, which players are muslim in Arsenal?

'Abd al-Baari
01-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Arsenals muslim players include Robin van Persie (converted after marrying morrocan wife)
and Abou Diaby, i think

Kittygyal
01-29-2007, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu GG
Man watching football is so boring
salamualikum
:rolleyes: :offended:, if you understood it then it wouldn't be
Ma'assalama

united
01-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Salaam bro' and sis

I have my self in a two way struggle between committing myself to soccer or becoming a scholar, In The summer im expected to be at Chelsea but haven't made my mind up. I love Soccer yet when i look at some Sheikh's and memorize the Quran I fall in love with Islam and tell myself I'll pursue becoming a scholar. Likewise when I kick a ball or watch soccer more notably Arsenal i tell myself I'll Pursue Soccer:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have no clue what to do, Im lost in my own world, plz help :D
Life has no gaurantees. you may live till 20 or 80. What if you were to meet Allah tomorrow, or even next year. Could you justify your actions?
I dont think it has to be a case of one or the other. If you can afford it how about studying part time? But never put your deen after your other persuits.
Why Arsenal? United r the best :p

AnonymousPoster
01-30-2007, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
and as i said, many players in england and europe are becomming muslim, so when a team has muslims player in it like arsenal for instance, the ignorant ppl who think all muslims are terrorists will say heyy i got a muslim in my team, they must be ok, and this will start to change ppls view on muslims that were all terrorists and so on :) football is the place to make dawah!

No offense, but the logic doesn't make sense if it is haram for him to be in that environment in the first place...

united
01-30-2007, 05:03 PM
hmm people are inappripriately dressed wherever you go in a non-Muslim country. I really dont think playing with men who wear their shorts above their knees is a problem as long as you dont do so yourself.

Kittygyal
01-30-2007, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester

If there is no halal way to play soccer, then the logical option would be to not play soccer, right?? It isn't like the fate of the Muslim ummah rests in the hands of this one person becoming a professional soccer player!:rolleyes:

:thumbs_up exaclty
salamualikum.
never said it would be dude. :rolleyes:
Ma'assalama

mustafaisb
01-30-2007, 07:10 PM
:salamext: Definitely do scholar. Just play football on the side. :wasalamex:

AnonymousPoster
01-31-2007, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by united
hmm people are inappripriately dressed wherever you go in a non-Muslim country. I really dont think playing with men who wear their shorts above their knees is a problem as long as you dont do so yourself.

Honestly, how is that a justification? As Muslim we should always be striving to minimise our exposure to indecencies, not seeking them out... There are hundreds of professions out there that don't require a person to work in bad environments... we shouldn't be seeking out useless professions and ignoring the haram in them just because people are badly dressed where ever you go!

Muslim (338) narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man should look at the ‘awrah of another man, and no woman should look at the ‘awrah of another woman.”

AnonymousPoster
01-31-2007, 01:45 AM

What is the ruling on professional pursuit of football (soccer)?

Question:
What is the ruling on professional pursuit of football (soccer)?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

The word ihtiraaf (professional pursuit) is defined in al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (2/69) as follows:

Ihtiraaf in Arabic means seeking to earn a living, or seeking a profession in order to earn money. A profession is anything in which a person works and becomes known for. So they say “the profession of So and so is such and such,” meaning his habit and practice, which is synonymous to the words craft and work.

The fuqaha’ of sharee’ah are in agreement with the linguists on this issue, and the word ihtiraaf (professional pursuit) is used to refer to work and to earning a living.

Al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (2/69).

It is not permissible for anyone to issue a ruling on playing football – let alone taking it as a profession – without knowing the nature of this game at this time and the atmosphere that surrounds it. In this game ‘awrahs are uncovered, prayers are missed, fitnah and desires are provoked, and there is the possibility of harm and injury, as well as the negligence of acts of worship that is involved.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Playing football nowadays is accompanied by reprehensible things which mean that playing it should be disallowed. These things may be summed up as follows:

1 – It is proven to us that play continues during the times of prayer, which results in the players and spectators missing prayers or prayers in congregation, or they delay performing prayers until the time for them is over. Undoubtedly any action that interferes with performance of prayers on time or leads to missing prayers in congregation with no valid shar’i excuse is haraam.

2 – The nature of this game leads to factionalism, stirring up fitnah and hatred. These results are the opposite of what Islam promotes of tolerance, friendship and brotherhood, and cleaning hearts and souls of hatred, resentment and grudges.

3 – The game involves physical danger for the players as a result of collisions and injuries. Usually the players do not end the game without some of them falling on the pitch unconscious or with broken arms or legs. Nothing is more indicative of that than the fact that there must always be an ambulance present throughout the game.

4 – The purpose behind allowing sports is to make people become physically active and to train them for fighting and to ward off chronic disease. But playing football nowadays has no such aim. As well as the things mentioned above, it is now also taking people’s money for false purposes, let alone the danger of physical injury and the generation of hatred in the hearts of players and spectators, and the stirring up of fitnah. It has even gone so far that some spectators attack some players, which could go as far as murder, as happened in a match a few months ago. This alone is sufficient reason to disallow it. And Allaah is the source of strength. End quote.

Fataawa Ibn Ibraaheem (8/116, 117).

As for playing football just to strengthen the body and give it energy, or to treat some diseases without falling into any of these haraam things, this is something permissible.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The basic principle concerning such games and sports is that they are permissible if they serve an innocent purpose, as was referred to by Ibn al-Qayyim in his book al-Faroosiyyah and as was mentioned by Shaykh Taqiy al-Deen Ibn Taymiyah and others. If that is done as training for jihad and attack and retreat, or for physical fitness, or to ward off chronic diseases and strengthen the spirit, then it comes under the heading of permissible things, if the one who does it has a sound intention. In all cases it is essential that there be no harm caused to bodies or minds, and that it does not lead to the grudges and hatred that usually occur between players, and that it does not distract them from things that are more important, and that it does not prevent them from remembrance of Allaah (dhikr) or prayer. End quote.

Fataawa Ibn Ibraaheem (8/118)

He also said:

Playing football in this organized manner, making the players into two factions, whether they are paid or not, should not be done, because it involves preventing remembrance of Allaah (dhikr) and prayer. It may also involve consuming wealth unlawfully and may be accompanied by gambling; it is akin to playing chess in some ways.

But if one or two people play with a ball and play football in an unorganized fashion, there is nothing wrong with that because it does not involve anything haraam. And Allaah knows best. End quote.

Fataawa Ibn Ibraaheem (8/119)

In the answer to question no. 22305 we have explained the conditions for it to be permissible to play football. Among the things we said there was the following:

The third condition: that it should not take up too much of the player’s time, let alone take up all his time or mean that he becomes known among people for that, or it becomes his job, because then there is the fear that the words of Allaah may be true in his case: “Who took their religion as an amusement and play, and the life of the world deceived them. So this Day We shall forget them” [al-A’raaf 7:51]. End quote.

Thus it is clear that taking football as a profession as it exists nowadays is haraam, because it includes things that are forbidden in Islam, even if playing football is basically permissible.

This applies especially if we realize what is involved in taking football as a profession, such as travelling to kaafir countries to play against international teams. It is obvious to everyone what kind of kufr, evil and sin is present in those countries, and it is also well known that the players are exposed to the temptations of women and desires because of their fame, stardom and wealth.

It should also be noted that settling in kaafir countries is haraam, and it is not permissible except in cases of need, subject to certain conditions which have been explained in question no. 38284.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=75644&ln=eng

Sami Zaatari
01-31-2007, 06:04 PM
arsenal muslim player: kolo habib toure, abou diaby, and robin van persie.

anonymouse gender i read the post you got from Islam-qa and quite frankly i dont see how what he says makes it haram or not a good thing.

if the player knows that he is going to miss a prayer because the game will be going on during the game then he can make his prayer before the match since he knows he will not be able to conduct his prayer during his proper time, and this is perfectly ok which companions themselves did.

football actually does bring lots of peace, sure there is violent sometimes, but u can get violence out of dawah too and in debates, so does that mean we should stop making dawah and discussing topics such as christianity and so on? offcourse not! for instance here in the uae, uae won the gulf cup, yet the opposing fans have all called in congratulating them etc etc so football does bring peace and a kind atmosphere!

sure playing football can get u hurt, but so can making the hajj! people get killed and injured during hajj so does that mean we should not do it because of the chance of harm? offcourse not! there are many other things which arent haram that also cause harm, driving a car, thats not haram but u have a better chance of getting killed while driving a car than playing football, so i think this point is really desperate.

the 4th reason he brings up is fans attack players, this hardly ever happens, its once in a blue moon thing, and yes football is becomming expensive, but fans are not FORCED to go watch it, they can watch it at home at much cheaper prices.

so either way, the 4 reasons arent very strong since there are many non-haram things that can lead to the exact same thing. :)

AnonymousPoster
02-01-2007, 03:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sami Zaatari
if the player knows that he is going to miss a prayer because the game will be going on during the game then he can make his prayer before the match since he knows he will not be able to conduct his prayer during his proper time, and this is perfectly ok which companions themselves did.

Are you seriously saying it is permissible for someone to pray the prayer before its time because of a soccer game???:offended:

Isn't it only permissible at time of extreme need??

united
02-02-2007, 09:14 PM
If you dont already know:
matches are only 90 minutes. two halves of 45mins each with a 15 minute break in between. Are you telling me that it is not possible to pray any salaah in 15 minutes?
hatred? or competition. Yeh i hate liverpool fans and go on liverpool-fan killing spreees. the beauty of football is that even though each player has a team that team can be changed. each player may also play on an international level where players from different top clubs play alongside each other.
Physical danger? More people die in car accidents.
It is a profession as well as a passion. whats wrong with doing a job you enjoy. actually get paid for doing something you enjoy.

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Let's say maghrib comes. Are you going to pray maghrib 45 minutes late?

united
02-05-2007, 06:58 PM
yes it is ideal to pray salaah as soon as the time begins but we dont live in an ideal world. but if he wants he can ask his manager to substitute him for the few matches where maghrib salaah time fall right at the begining of a half. please take into account that this scenario is only going to occur a few times a year and not for every match.

Muezzin
02-05-2007, 08:08 PM
To the original poster:

Ask yourself what you're better at, and most importantly, what you would be happy doing for a large portion (if not all) of your life.

If you're really excellent at soccer, perhaps that's the way to go.

Conversely, if your Quran recitations are beautiful and you enjoy and love learning about Islam, then perhaps that would be the better choice.

However, the choice is yours. Not everyone in life is cut out to be a scholar, or a soccer player for that matter. But when we show a genuine strength in a particular field, perhaps it's a sign that that area is our calling.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.