/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bully advice

Pages : [1] 2 3

anonymous
03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Have you ever been bullied?

What is the best way of dealing with it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
03-03-2006, 10:39 PM
:sl:
Ignore it the first couple a times
But if it keeps happening, kick his/her ass.

Z
03-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Salaam.

I think you ought to elaborate. What kind of bullying are we talking about? There are certain ways to deal with the different sorts of bullying and each of them affect a person in different ways.

jzcasejz
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

I've never got bullied in my life but like bro aamirsaab said try your hardest to ignore or avoid the bullies :peace:

If you're getting bullied at school then the best thing I can think of is to ALWAYS report it to the teacher.

And a good way to deal with it is not to care about anyone eg the bullies and just fear Allah :brother:

Not sure about this part about kicking their ass in but in some cases it will have to be done :hmm: Shame it has to be this way :-\

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
03-03-2006, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
Not sure about this part about kicking their ass in but in some cases it will have to be done :hmm: Shame it has to be this way :-\
Some bullies think they are stronger than you cus you don't fight. Newsflash, I can whoop anybody in 20 seconds flat and so can you. Not all bullies, however, need their head kicked in. Most of 'em just need to know their place - they often bully someone they perceive as weak. so if it happens to you, you gotta stand up for yourself - if it means whooping his/her butt, do so.

Zohra1001
03-03-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous

:w: :)

I think that everybody in his life has been bullied (i mean people are agressive toward you with their languages or/and physicaly..) at least one time..

Above all girls.. and young.. and old people.. and all "weak-people", the minority, and it's a sad and difficult experience of life.

To speak about it to people who can help you to stop it inchaAllah.

For exemple a child must speak to his teacher, or parents, or adult he can trust what's happen to him.. Otherwise he could'nt stop the violence and he would be not all right in his mind; As he will grow up he could find violence as a normal way of life and etc..

So we must speak to somebody who can help us, and we trust.
When we are bullied i think that the "best" behaviour is not to resist if they are too much against us, not to speak at all with them, try to keep calm, and find somebody who can give u some help.

It's seldom that we find it because we are most of the time in an insolated place, and people around us are afraid to help us because they are not enough courageous..

I hope that you will recolt a lot of answers here "Anonymous", inchaAllah
Take care, may Allah protect you against evil and give you His Barakat

Assalam'alaykoum waRahmatullah waBarakatuh :rose:

jzcasejz
03-03-2006, 10:53 PM

Some bullies think they are stronger than you cus you don't fight. Newsflash, I can whoop anybody in 20 seconds flat and so can you. Not all bullies, however, need their head kicked in. Most of 'em just need to know their place - they often bully someone they perceive as weak. so if it happens to you, you gotta stand up for yourself - if it means whooping his/her butt, do so.
I agree with you but this will only make things worser in some cases. You beat the bully up, he will get his "crew" and will never give up at least he gets the last word. It will go on and on untill something serious happens.

There are some bullys that will give up after you give them a battering but some will never give up. I still ain't sure about beating them up but in some cases you just have to.

DaSangarTalib
03-03-2006, 10:53 PM
ahh man train yourself up join a boxing club or summat and then if the bullies test you again unleash the dragon!!!...like in the rocky film init? :coolious: after that they should get the message and will leave you alone Insha'Allah

Keep stong brother/sister

Ghazi
03-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Salaam

The youth today are getting way out of hand, it's all about respect, and for this reason people pick on others to seem big in the eyes of others, I suggest you tell them nicely that what they're dong is wrong, if they don't get the message then you'll have to stand up for your self.

Snowflake
03-03-2006, 11:21 PM
^ sometimes you have to hit back.. and very hard too... im telling this cuz..

I remember this girl picked on me once... jus like that! I was standing in the playground minding my own business and she walked past, then came back and said I'd called her a fat sow! Astaghfirullah I'd done no such thing...

she told me she's gonna come back for me and to wait.. lol, i was so scared but didnt move cuz i didnt want her to know i was scared.. and she was bigggggggg.. i mean about 3 times the size of me.. *gulps* i prayed she'd 4get, but she came back with her mates and told me to go into the woods.. :(
i was like no if u wanna fight, do it here.. (truth was I didnt wanna be battered where no one could help) lolololz......

then suddenly one of her mates pushed me from behind and i fell on the big girl.. course that started the fight.. and i ended up under her on the ground..:heated:
it really felt like i was pinned by a beached whale.. i couldnt budge under her but cuz my arms were free, i hit her face and scratched her like a wild cat :giggling: then my friends came back from lunch and the teachers came out too, and they pulled her off me.. :phew but .......after that she wanted to be friends with me and she said she thought she'd batter me but i was a good fighter...pathetic!.. But it shows that sometimes you have to fight back or you keep getting bullied. :sister:

:w:

jzcasejz
03-03-2006, 11:29 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
^ sometimes you have to hit back.. and very hard too... im telling this cuz..
LOLzzzz wt a funny story ;D

But not all cases of bullying are like this. Some cases are much more extreme and in them extreme cases, IF you was to beat the bully up he/she will keep coming back for the last word, what do you do then? Someone could end up seriously hurt.

The whole topic of bullying is hard :hiding: and im tired so l8az :rollseyes

Ghazi
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz

LOLzzzz wt a funny story ;D

But not all cases of bullying are like this. Some cases are much more extreme and in them extreme cases, IF you was to beat the bully up he/she will keep coming back for the last word, what do you do then? Someone could end up seriously hurt.

The whole topic of bullying is hard :hiding: and im tired so l8az :rollseyes
Salaam

True, these days it's common for someone to get shot over a few words.

jzcasejz
03-03-2006, 11:43 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

True, these days it's common for someone to get shot over a few words.
Yup that's true.:hmm:

Bullying ain't an issue where you learn how to fight and then you fight the bully off, it is in some cases REALLY serious and is hard to tackle for some. Some of the victims of bullying are seriously scared and I doubt fighting is the answer to THEIR problems.

But....at the end of the day, Allah is always there and if Allah is there there is NO ROOM for the fear of bullies to be in your heart.

The Ruler
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
u dont exactly v to kik der ass....lol ;D

cuz i rmemba inma pe class on thursday, two gals had a fite....dis blonde threatened anover gal but da other gal was taller so she was pratically stadin over da blonde....n da blonde said she will beat da other gal up....n den in da changin rooms, da blonde said dat she neva said dat she wud beat any1 up < wich proves dat she was scared to fite....n lol it wos sooooo funny ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nawal89
03-04-2006, 11:33 AM
i've bullied people and i've been bullied.
What to do about it? report to the teacher? Beat them up(not the best option)? i guess it depends on the situation.

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: Lol wat gud advice bruv......NOOOT!!!

Alhamdulillah Ive never been bullied ever but if its happening to you, youve got to do sumthin about it ....NO NOT KICK ASSES lol, let ya teachers know, ya parents, dont do anythin to provoke them even more and inshaAllah itll get sorted, :sister:

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 05:53 PM
nah jus kinok em owt man!!!

take care

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
nah jus kinok em owt man!!!

take care
Loooooooooooooooollll :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Sis thats top advice is dat cumin 4rm a TEACHER lol :giggling: :giggling:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:00 PM

i havent been bullied.. yet.. u should ignore it the first couple of times and then talk to someone about it.. "A problem shared, is a problem solved" ;D dont fight back whatever though (unless the bullies asking for it :P).. if you know the bully is going to punch you, just dodge it or obviously hit him back for self defence.. :happy:

i reckon words hurt more than actions..

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:03 PM
nah u shud kich her/his ass cuz dat's what the want n dat wot they get no 1 messes bwt wiv any1!!!!!!

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:16 PM
nah u shud kich her/his ass cuz dat's what the want n dat wot they get no 1 messes bwt wiv any1!!!!!!

take care
lol good piece of advice :P :rollseyes

Hijaabi22
03-04-2006, 06:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

ok maybe u shud try kick their butt, :giggling: Myt work lol

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
Loooooooooooooooollll :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Sis thats top advice is dat cumin 4rm a TEACHER lol :giggling: :giggling:

sis i was in ikrams shoe 1 day so i knw how the poor oy feels :uhwhat :uhwhat

i wish i was dere ta kick da guys ass owt for em

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes

ok maybe u shud try kick their butt, :giggling: Myt work lol
leave them in hospital innit :giggling: that'll teach them a lesson!

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:25 PM
yea bt at the end of da day it's ryt man u need ta be tough dn't n stnd bak!

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:26 PM
yea bt at the end of da day it's ryt man u need ta be tough dn't n stnd bak!

take care
yeah, its right only if ur fighting in self defence.. :D

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:29 PM
u need ta show that ur hard n not sum kind ov looser r a geek r as u wud ppl say ''teachers pet'' r a ''chicken''

u need ta say ta urself ''NO 1 IS GNA MESS ABWT WIV ME!!''

AM I RYT R NT?

i knew it u lot would say yea ;D

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:32 PM
u need ta show that ur hard n not sum kind ov looser r a geek r as u wud ppl say ''teachers pet'' r a ''chicken''

u need ta say ta urself ''NO 1 IS GNA MESS ABWT WIV ME!!''

AM I RYT R NT?

i knew it u lot would say yea ;D

take care
or u could just say "U DONT KNOW WHO UR MESSIN WID MATE" or "IL GET MY HOMEYS ON U!" :giggling:

Shadow
03-04-2006, 06:35 PM
there is one prob with that though
he brings down his "boys" to beat u up
and i know a guy who got beaten by a gang of ppl and he had to stay in the hospital because they punched his stomach so many times that he started to bleed

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:36 PM
yea nw ur wiv mi

that's a gud gyal jus knock da shyt owt ov em man...

we all r wiv u ikram lo0o0o0l

take care

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shadow
there is one prob with that though
he brings down his "boys" to beat u up
and i know a guy who got beaten by a gang of ppl and he had to stay in the hospital because they punched his stomach so many times that he started to bleed

yea well at the end ov day dat's wot they get by messin around it's there fault

they cud ov NOT started it in da 1 place

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:38 PM
yea nw ur wiv mi

that's a gud gyal jus knock da shyt owt ov em man...

we all r wiv u ikram lo0o0o0l

take care
hehe i guess so.. :P

mann, u should come down my ends :uhwhat da asians here *incldes my cousins etc*, they beat anyone up.. whoever comes in their way.. they had a big fight over the newcastle asian boys and they didnt do anything :| the newcastle bois are scared of them now :giggling: :rollseyes

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:39 PM
u knw me yea am a techer i wrk a go uni bt i dn't lyk no tom n harry messin wiv me r any1

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:42 PM
u knw me yea am a techer i wrk a go uni bt i dn't lyk no tom n harry messin wiv me r any1
ur a teacher? well what if some kid comes up 2 u asking 4 help cuz theyr bein bullied? ur gonna say "kick sum butt?" :giggling: u'll get sacked!

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:44 PM
nononono dn't me silly!!!!

am gna srt da bully owt k!!!

a wrk wiv 6th forms so dey can srt dere self's owt

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:45 PM
nononono dn't me silly!!!!

am gna srt da bully owt k!!!

a wrk wiv 6th forms so dey can srt dere self's owt

take care
oooooo.. lol :P yeah, but still they might need advice etc ;P

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:48 PM
so i'll talk 2 em u see i be in da skool 3 days in wk

well lts get bak on the topic so *couhgh* y di't u call mi when ur cuzin's ad a fyt wiv da newcastle boyz a kicked there ass man!

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:52 PM
so i'll talk 2 em u see i be in da skool 3 days in wk

well lts get bak on the topic so *couhgh* y di't u call mi when ur cuzin's ad a fyt wiv da newcastle boyz a kicked there ass man!

take care
lol i should haveeee! :-P trust me, da newcastle boiz r so scared and got beaten up bad.. thats why da sunderland boiz don't play footie wid da darlington boiz bcuz theyr scared incase they start a fite!

no1 from utha towns come 2 darlington, theyr scared, thatz why da darlo boiz gotta play away all the time!

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:53 PM
dn't wori i'll join da darlo boyz bt am popin so i cn't join em lo0o0o0l

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:55 PM
dn't wori i'll join da darlo boyz bt am popin so i cn't join em lo0o0o0l

take care
lol maybe some other time :okay:

where u from sis?

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:56 PM
fm brady bt at mo livin in bristol wiv stp dad

wt bwt u?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 06:57 PM
fm brady bt at mo livin in bristol wiv stp dad

wt bwt u?
im from darlington (darlo) itz a small town near middlesbrough and durham etc.. it aint exactly small though :P

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 06:59 PM
nah it's big tough ppl

congrat's u finished ur 50 posts

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 07:01 PM
nah it's big tough ppl

congrat's u finished ur 50 posts

take care
itz not BIG but itz got some tough people :-O loads of chavs in da trampy area :giggling: we dont live there tho..

bout time ive finished my 50 posts!

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
ohhh 'surprise surprise'

av u eva gt bullied in ur area?

if u av tell me i'll srt em owt!!!

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 07:06 PM
ohhh 'surprise surprise'

av u eva gt bullied in ur area?

if u av tell me i'll srt em owt!!!

take care
have I ever got bullied.. nahhh.. im well respected :giggling: (H)

i dont get bullied, i get along with everyone, and its all safe.. i go 2 a school and im like one of 5 muslims.. so its hard but i get on arite..

dont wori, il tell u wn sum1z startn on me ;D

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 07:08 PM
ok be tough n show em ur hard yea

n u knw were i am so jus let me knw lo0o0o0l :) :)

take care

Muezzin
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Buy a shotgun.

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Buy a shotgun.
i knew u were gna say dat :giggling: :giggling:

nah myt aswell kick dere ass ;D ;D ;D ;D

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 07:43 PM
i want a shotgun *rollz eyez* lol.. i wouldnt need it, just want 1 :P

Muezzin
03-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Don't do that. You're Muslim, so they'd probably use it as evidence against you when they file the inevitable terrorism charges. ;) :p

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't do that. You're Muslim, so they'd probably use it as evidence against you when they file the inevitable terrorism charges. ;) :p
lol yeah innit.. :rollseyes ohhh well..

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 07:45 PM
u naughty gyal kick em up dere butt :giggling: :giggling:

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 07:47 PM
lol... acha.. il stick wid da kikin thing.. 4get da shotgun, il prob get done 4 "suspected terrorist" :O

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 07:48 PM
exzactly y do u need da gun r da kickin fing when u gt me lo0o0o0l

take care

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 07:50 PM
lol innit :P 4get da kicking and da gun, we gotz u.. umm sorry watz ur name :$

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 07:51 PM
jodi

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2006, 07:52 PM
kool :D ma names shefa

Muezzin
03-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Surely you could carry on this conversation in Private Messages? :)

Let's get back on topic and talk about practical methods of dealing with bullying, building upon the landmark suggestions of knocking their teeth out or committing driveby shootings.

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 07:59 PM
yea maaaaaan dat's wot yea say we'll if sum1 bulliez u shud gve em a left punch not a ryt 1 lo0o0l

bt muezzin dn't do da gun thing jus a left punch will do em lo0o00l

take care

afriend2
03-04-2006, 07:59 PM
salaam,

all this talk of shot guns has made me curious as to what you'd really do in a REAL situation of bullying! :? :rollseyes :okay: lol

i'd just try and resolve it using words (and not swear words before anyone gets the wrong idea) lol. and its best not to aggravate situations whilst still looking in control.

mashAllah i havent been bullied before....only by my sister ;D shes always eating my food! :'( :sister:

wassalam

Muezzin
03-04-2006, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazia
salaam,

all this talk of shot guns has made me curious as to what you'd really do in a REAL situation of bullying! :? :rollseyes :okay: lol
I outsmart them with my wicked verbal wit.

Then I run.

afriend2
03-04-2006, 08:03 PM
salaam,

if you outsmart them bro, then why run?? :? :) ^^^

wassalam

Kittygyal
03-04-2006, 08:03 PM
I outsmart them with my wicked verbal wit.

Then I run.
funny :giggling:

take care

Muezzin
03-04-2006, 08:05 PM
salaam,

if you outsmart them bro, then why run?? :? :) ^^^

wassalam
Because they're usually fricken' HUGE and getting confused makes them angry.

To quote Napoleon Dynamite: 'What the heck would YOU do in a situation like that?'

:p

afriend2
03-04-2006, 08:16 PM
salaam,

lol ^^^ ok then...great explanation ;)

and is Napoleon Dynamite a movie or something? :?

wassalam

jzcasejz
03-04-2006, 08:18 PM

and is Napoleon Dynamite a movie or something? :?
Not just a movie....A MASTERPIECE!

afriend2
03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
salaam,

lol ;D whats it about? and is it about bullying or something? :?

wassalam

jzcasejz
03-04-2006, 08:21 PM

The movie has NO MEANING WHATSOEVER;D

BUT it's really funny. There's a scene where someone chucks something on his face and he get's knocked over from his bike :giggling:

It ain't about bullying btw

Muezzin
03-04-2006, 08:21 PM
salaam,

lol ;D whats it about? and is it about bullying or something? :?

wassalam
This is getting really off-topic, and Google is just a mouseclick away :)

Mainul_Islam
03-05-2006, 03:47 AM
the last time i've been bullied was in 6th grade..

in 5th grade, when i was bullied i got into a fight.. got in trouble.

in 6th grade, i wasnt pissed enough to get into a fight

from 7th grade, alhamdulillah, i didnt see any more losers that like to bully around

now, if i get bullied:
- insulted and stuff, then ignore...
- pushed, talk to him in a not angry way and ask whats his problem
- attacked, thats it.. i dont care how big he will be, i'll fight back with whatever it takes even if it means me getting hurt (no, im not suggesting u to do that. i would suggest u to report them although i might not)

03-05-2006, 03:53 AM
^way to go bro!

though i've never been bullied, ever... prolly cuz basically the only place i go to is skool... n its all girls, n not a single one of them is mean alhumduliAllah :)

julie sarri
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
:sl: dont keep it to your self talk to your teacher i made the mistake of not telling my family about what was going on and the presser built up it was a long time age but i still wish i told some one back then:w:

Kittygyal
03-05-2006, 06:28 PM
yea but some people are afraid to tell some one

take care

Mezier
03-06-2006, 04:40 AM
well...up to grade 7 i was known as the runt of all my classes. I got bullied a few times before that cuz of my size. I usually resorted to fighting them...and sadly ended up losing :(

however at the start of grade 8, i began to lift weights. After that i never got bullied again. By the time I graduated from highschool, i was seen as the muscle-man of the school. THe guys who bullied me when I was younger either never talked to me again...or actually became FRIENDS with me! It was nice.

Mainul_Islam
03-06-2006, 10:33 PM
what losers!

yea its hard to get tough with them when they r trying to be cool with u but u shoulda reminded them of what they used to do

Mezier
03-07-2006, 01:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mainul_Islam
what losers!

yea its hard to get tough with them when they r trying to be cool with u but u shoulda reminded them of what they used to do
i didnt need to remind them. People change. So did they. Cuz if they hadnt changed.....than trouble would of started :P, but like myself they grew for the better as the years passed.

Silver
04-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Since i live in Lebanon where there are a lot of christians,I sometimes hear my classmates saying things abou the prophet PBUH that are not true,I wouldn't say i'm the most devout muslim in my class or elsewhere but in my class I'm the one who knows most about the prophet PBUH and the history of islam.So i try to explain to them what Islam is all about but it doesn't affect them at all,partially it's because of the way they were raised.They hate islam and i know it (not all of 'em some of my best friends are christians) and they say bad things about it behind our backs but I can still hear them whispering sometimes.I try to control myself and try to talk some some sense into them but I am short-tempered and sometimes i feel so provoqued that i wanna yell and scream at them.but it's wrong doing that.What can i do?

renak
04-17-2006, 09:28 AM
If your classmates are not directly insulting you, then perhaps you should ignore them. There are a lot of unkind people in the world. The trick is learning how to deal with your reaction to these people, not concentrating on the actions of other people.

F.Y.
04-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Sister:)
Unfortunately, it seems the entire world at times is against Islam. If you lose your patience, no matter what you say - they wont listen.
I suggest that you must not say anything when they are talking.
Later on, you can ask them about what they think about "such and such" (the things they were saying before). Ask them what they truly think first. Ask them if they have evidence to base their words on. Then maybe you can clear up the misconcpetion they have, kindly. Say, "Oh, i know lots of people say this, but in my opinion...."

Remember to personally be a good role model and try your best to follow the noble example of the Prophet saw. Never lose your composure. If they start attacking, stay calm, and say, "Look, i can see you might not be open to what we think right now, so thats ok. Next time maybe." If they ask you something and you cant answer coz you dont know how, say "Look, i dont know right now, but i will find out for you and tell you soon inshallah." Then find out - and tell them.

I hope that helps a bit. Salam :)

Silver
04-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks!I have tried to talk to them u know but when my friends and I do try to attack their weak points they just don't wanna listen and change the subject.They actually KNOW what their weak points are and they know the things they say are wrong but they keep sayin' them anyway.I really really pray for them to change but they are not willing to change.But i haven't lost hope.

Maimunah
04-17-2006, 01:00 PM
salaam sis
hope this helps!!

Question:

I have a friend who insults Islam and says bad things to me in Ramadaan. How should I deal with him? He is always with me and is always saying these insulting things.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Insulting Allaah or Islam is major kufr which puts a person beyond the pale of Islam. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: Was it at Allaah and His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and His Messenger that you were mocking?”

66. Make no excuse; you disbelieved after you had believed”

[al-Tawbah 9:65,66]

What you have to do is to remind this slanderer and advise him, and warn him that all his good deeds are to no avail, and that if he does not repent, he will meet Allaah when he is guilty of major kufr.

Tell him that the punishment that he deserves in this world is execution, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever changes his religion, execute him.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3017.

Tell him that he must come back to Islam, and that if he comes back and repents, Allaah will accept his repentance.

If he responds, then all well and good, but if he does not respond, it is not permissible for you to stay with him when he is insulting Islam.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about the ruling on staying among people who insult Allaah, may He be glorified.

He replied:

It is not permissible to stay with people who are insulting Allaah, may He be glorified, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And it has already been revealed to you in the Book (this Qur’aan) that when you hear the Verses of Allaah being denied and mocked at, then sit not with them, until they engage in a talk other than that; (but if you stayed with them) certainly in that case you would be like them. Surely, Allaah will collect the hypocrites and disbelievers all together in Hell”

[al-Nisa’ 4:140]

And Allaah is the Source of strength. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 2/question no. 238

It should be noted that bad company will bring nothing but evil, so protect yourself against that. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) likened a bad companion to the one who operates the bellows: either he will burn your clothes, or you will notice a foul smell from him.

It was narrated from Abu Moosa (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The likeness of a good companion and a bad companion is that of one who carries musk and one who works the bellows. With the carrier of musk, either he will give you some or you will buy some from him, or you will notice a good smell from him; as for the one who works the bellows, either he will burn your clothes or you will notice a bad smell from him.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5543; Muslim, 2628.

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

In this hadeeth the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) likened a good companion to the one who carries musk, and the bad companion to one who works the bellows. It points to the virtue of sitting with righteous, good and honourable people, people of good attitude, awareness, knowledge and manners, and indicates that it is not allowed to sit with evil people and followers of innovation, those who backbite about people or who are foul-mouthed and have nothing better to do, and other blameworthy things. End quote.

Sharh Muslim, 16/178

In conclusion: You have to advise this person who lives with you, who has fallen into major kufr because of his insulting Islam, and who has committed a major sin by insulting you. If he responds to your advice and mends his ways, then stay with him and help him to discipline himself, but if he does not respond, then there is nothing good for you in remaining friends with him.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

wasalaam:)

F.Y.
04-17-2006, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Thanks!I have tried to talk to them u know but when my friends and I do try to attack their weak points they just don't wanna listen and change the subject.They actually KNOW what their weak points are and they know the things they say are wrong but they keep sayin' them anyway.I really really pray for them to change but they are not willing to change.But i haven't lost hope.
Salam dear sister :)

First thing sister, dont 'attack' their weak points. It would be very insulting. You have said so yourself, they already know their weak point - so there is no point rubbing it in their face. You are being pateint - mashallah. You know Prophet Nuh (as) tried to tell people about the Oneness of Allah for 900 years? And no one would listen.

You yourself must show a good example, be humble and kind. If a moment comes up - yes, explain our position and view on the topic. But also mention to them, that "If at any point when i am talking, you understand what i am saying and it makes sense, would you be willing to accept your creator and my creator, Allah, and worship Him alone with no partners?" This is what Yusuf Estes says (he's a good speaker).

Please ask if you need more help.

aamirsaab
04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Since i live in Lebanon where there are a lot of christians,I sometimes hear my classmates saying things abou the prophet PBUH that are not true,I wouldn't say i'm the most devout muslim in my class or elsewhere but in my class I'm the one who knows most about the prophet PBUH and the history of islam.So i try to explain to them what Islam is all about but it doesn't affect them at all,partially it's because of the way they were raised.They hate islam and i know it (not all of 'em some of my best friends are christians) and they say bad things about it behind our backs but I can still hear them whispering sometimes.I try to control myself and try to talk some some sense into them but I am short-tempered and sometimes i feel so provoqued that i wanna yell and scream at them.but it's wrong doing that.What can i do?
Their stupidity is depressing as opposed to being funny. Take pity on them and ignore them - yes, i'm aware that it's not easy to do so but most of the time they are doing it for a reaction - looking for another reason to hate muslims. Sad really.

Silver
04-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks a lot!!Jazakom Allah khayran!!!!!

Nicola
04-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Is it Mohammed life style they are against or Muslims in general?

mbaig
04-19-2006, 09:29 AM
A'salaam alaykum sister,

It is the deen/Faith inside your heart that makes you feel sorry and insulted when some one say wrong about islam. We can only just explain them and show them the right path rest allah is the one who does the rest. It is allah who decide on whom to show the right path. The path of light and mercy, love of all mighty allah. We can only pray. May allah show us the straight path. The path to heaven.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Surah Furqan verse 63:
And the bondmen of the Most Affectionate are those who walk on the earth modestly and when the ignorant address them, they say, 'peace'.

extinction
04-19-2006, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicola
whats the difference in the two please explain?

Silver
04-20-2006, 07:27 AM
They're against muslims in general and also against Muhammed's (PBUH) lifestyle.So it's both.We live with them in peace ,we go out together from time to time but when it comes to this subject they are very mean and rude ,and I know for sure that when we're not around they do talk about Islam in general in a bad and wrong way.Usually ,what they attack the most is the Hijab ,they pretend that the women in islam wear it agianst their will and polygamy.

Inshallah
04-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Let them say what they want to, they'll burn in hell for saying it, let them laugh, they won't be laughing when there going to be fried alive in hell fire.

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi,
If someone is against our Prophet, it is worse than if they even insulted our mothers.
-Peace

IbnAbdulHakim
04-20-2006, 11:01 AM
one word.... *bakhand!!!!*.

naa sis, explain to them and if they are deaf dum n blind then jus hav sabr inshaAllah :)

Nicola
04-22-2006, 01:27 PM
They're against muslims in general and also against Muhammed's (PBUH) lifestyle.So it's both.We live with them in peace ,we go out together from time to time but when it comes to this subject they are very mean and rude ,and I know for sure that when we're not around they do talk about Islam in general in a bad and wrong way.Usually ,what they attack the most is the Hijab ,they pretend that the women in islam wear it agianst their will and polygamy.
If I was in your position right now, I would carry on has normal with them...showing them your warm kind heart...
every nation, religion on earth have two kinds ofpeople those with kind hearts and those with hearts full of hatered.

We cannot make people believe in what we believe in...I know it is most rude what these people are doing to you...please forgive them for their ignorance and pray that God will change their hearts to one of love instead of hatered...
They are the real ones who need help not you.

God Bless you

Nicola
04-22-2006, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hafizmo
whats the difference in the two please explain?

Well Muslims did not write the Koran...But most Muslims abide by the rules of the Quran...
So I was wondering if it was Mohammed they where angry about, for being the prophet of Allah and also because of the life style he lead. Or is it they just don't like Muslim people in genral, because they follow the laws of Allah and not the God of the Bible.

hope this clears it up for you.

glo
04-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Hello Lara

It is hard to suffer ridicule and criticism because of your faith, and I really feel for you.
Even as a Christian living in a 'Christian' country I had to get used to that - from mild teasing from my friends to open hostility from others.

I don't know if this helps you, but for myself I try to separate between the hurt caused to me and the offence caused God.

My own hurt I have to learn to deal with. Either by avoiding certain situations, or by standing firm in my beliefs, or by trying to explain to people quietly.
I constantly have to check my own reactions. Am I getting angry or defensive? If so, why? Am I embarrassed to stand up for my faith? If so, what can I do about it? Do I not know enough about my faith to explain it to others? If so, how can I learn more?
Also, I am doing a lot of forgiving, and praying, praying, PRAYING! :)

As for the offence caused God, I feel that I should leave that to God to deal with himself. It does not matter what punishment or not Ifeel people deserve - God Himself will judge when the time is right, and His judgement will always be just and perfect.

I am embarrassed that Christians are doing this to you and would like to apologise on their behalf, if I can. I don't know how old you are, but you and your classmates must be quite young. Immaturity and ignorance will play a part in your peers' actions, but this sounds like bullying to me and is not okay! Can the situation be helped by talking to your parents and teachers?

I wish you peace.:)

glo

Dawud_uk
04-23-2006, 08:48 AM

assalaamu alaykum sister,

your sense of protection over the reputation of the prophet Muhammad (saws) is to be commended, it is only though talking to these people the lies of their parents can be disproved.

insha'allah keep up the good work and try to be calm if you can and use kind words and beautiful speech as we advised to use when giving dawah, by none other than Allah (swt) in the Quran.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

DigitalStorm82
04-25-2006, 04:49 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Sister,

Allah has sealed there hearts, for they may have done acts, that are not worthy of forgiving. I give you one advice.... Do what prophet Mohammad did in the following... and they will learn to know how great Islam is through your actions.

The Garbage Thrower:
by Haji Hadi

She thought till late at midnight and finally decided how to take revenge from him. She could not sleep all night, because she was too eager to take revenge for the idols she worshiped. Even before the first ray of sunlight had entered her window, she was busy sweeping her house. She saved all the garbage in a basket, placed it on the roof of her house and proudly looked at it for a while, then with an impatient look on her face, she looked at the street that she lived on, and thought, "No one has ever seen him angry. Everybody will praise me when they will see him shouting at me and getting mad. They will laugh at him and make fun of him." She looked at the basket again and grinned.

Meanwhile, she heard footsteps, announcing the approach of the end of her waiting. "Finally my prey has arrived," she thought, as she saw a man dressed in clean, white clothes coming that way. She picked up the basket in her hands and threw all the garbage on him when he passed by. Much to the woman's disappointment, he did not say anything and continued on his way.

She did the same the following day thinking, "Maybe this time I will be able to annoy him." But he was too gentle to shout at a woman. She misinterpreted his attitude as fear and decided to repeat the same mischief everyday in order to keep him frightened, so that he might stop preaching the Oneness of God.

This gentleman whom the woman hated so much was Muhammad (pbuh), the last prophet of Allah Almighty. He did not want to disappoint the woman and so continued to walk down the street everyday, instead of picking an alternate route, and prayed for the woman to recognise the Truth.

One day, the Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) did not find the woman to be on the roof of her house with the basket. This worried him, because he thought something must have happened to her for not being over there. So he knocked at the door. "Who is it?" asked a feeble voice. "Muhammad bin Abdullah," was the reply, "can I come in?" The woman feared, "I am sick, and too weak to fight or talk back, therefore Muhammad has come to take revenge for what I have been doing to him." But the permission to enter her house was in such a gentle voice that she allowed him in.

Muhammad (pbuh) entered the house and told the woman that not finding her on the roof had worried him and he thus wanted to inquire about her health. On finding out how ill she was, he gently asked if she needed any help. Hypnotised by the affectionate tone in the Holy Prophet's (pbuh) blessed voice, she forgot all fear and asked for some water. He kindly gave her some in a utensil and prayed for her health, while she quenched her thirst. This made her feel very guilty for being so cruel to him in the past and she apologised for her mean behaviour. He forgave her and came to her house everyday to clean it, to feed her and to pray for her, till she was on her feet again. The kind attitude of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) inspired her into the recognition of the Truth, and his prayers were answered in the form of yet another addition into the growing number of Muslims.

Hussein radi
04-25-2006, 05:02 AM
If someone is against our Prophet, then he has a problam with me.

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-25-2006, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussein radi
If someone is against our Prophet, then he has a problam with me.
AGREED *NODS*.

Hijaabi22
04-30-2006, 10:15 AM

IF DAT WAS ME ID GET MY BOXING GLOVES OUT.......:rant: :rant: :rant:

MAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNN dat really pisses me off!!

Oh well....jus think positively, this your chance to do dawah init.... jus make the best of the situation and SPREAD THE WORD OF ISLAM :happy:

anonymous
05-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Salam! (how do you say the full greeting?)
Okay, first I want to clear up why I am using the anonymous account. Please don't ban me for this. I would have registered if I could have an email address, but my dad has taken all the accounts we're allowed. I don't want to break the rules, I just really need to tell someone my problems so that they can help me.

I am a 14-year old British boy who comes from an atheist family, my mum's a teaching assistant and my dad's a professor of geochemistry. I used to be an atheist too, until I found Islam (it's a long story how). I am completely convinced of the truth of Islam, so it's useless for anybody to try to change my mind. My problem is that I am having trouble telling my parents that I want to become a Muslim. I have kept my faith secret for so long (I'm even writing this in secret). I'm really worried about how they will react, I even had a dream that where my parents discovered I wanted to be a Muslim, and (in my dream) my dad chased me and beat me up! Because I kept my beliefs secret for so long, it's really hard to tell them. It's like I'm stuck as a non-Muslim.

Because of these problems, I decided to find help on the internet, which is where I found out most of the stuff I know about Islam. I tried to join another Muslim forum, so I could post my problems there. After several atempts, I realised that I no longer had an email account. I tried to set one up, but failed. I later found out that my Dad was deleted mine, and set up a new one in it's place to hold all the mail he gets. I thought that I was trapped, but I kept praying (or at least trying to pray, I don't know the proper way to pray, I probably won't be able to until I'm a Muslim, when someone at the Mosque will be able to teach me). I think this site is the answer to my prayers! I can tell someone without having to have an email sent to me, by using this anonymous feature.

I do have a Muslim friend at school, he says he's religious, and he does fast Rahmadan (sp?), but he always listens to rap music and talks about girls and other rude subjects (he's infamous at school for it). I recently tried talking to him about Islam. I told him about how miraculous the Quran is, and said things so good about Islam that no non-Muslim would say them. But I don't think he got the hint that I want to revert. I think he just thought it was a bit of a strange thing to be talking about. I really wanted to tell him that I wanted to become a Muslim, but the words just couldn't come out of my mouth.

Another problem I have is school. Because I don't do all these haram things that teenagers are infamous for (I've never drunk alcohol in my life, I have only swore whilst knowing the word was a swear about twice, and I'm the class science nerd), I get picked on. Once one of my friends even told me that I was immature, and that I should 'grow up' (I have yet to see why swearing and drinking is 'grown up'). If I become a religious Muslim, I will most probably be picked on even more. This whole school is just a cess-pool of sin and I don't want to have to put up with it much more (I would never truant though)!

One more thing (this one's for my brothers to answer), when do you start getting a beard? I have a moustache, some hair on my lower lip, and some in between my eyebrows, but just white hairs where my beard will be?

EDIT: Please reply! This isn't a scam or a joke I swear! I have better things to do than annoy you lot, why would I do that?

I don't know the Arabic parting, but peace be to you anyway!

glo
05-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi anonymous

I am not a Muslim, so I cannot give advice to all of your concerns, but I will give you my view anyway.

Your faith - whatever you have chosen it to be - is yours personally. Nobody can take it from you. This is your relationship with God - nobody else's!
It is difficult for you, because you are young and still dependent on your parents in many ways. But you are old enough to choose your path of faith!

When people convert to a particular religion, sometimes tensions and difficult times arise as a result. Friends may turn away from you, your family may be angry with you or mock your beliefs. It is part of your path, perhaps like a test to see how serious you are about your new faith!

When I became a Christian and started telling people, I encountered many tensions, and especially with atheists! Perhaps people of other faiths may not agree with your faith, but at least they understand your connection with God. Atheists do not have that connection, so they may perceive your faith as a damaging or dangerous thing. :rollseyes

I don't want this post to be negative, because that's the last thing you need! :X
I suggest that you continue to seek God, and that you pray for guidance and strength to see you through this difficult time. Consider whether you are ready to take one step further into your commitment to Islam, by telling others ... or whether it may be wiser to wait longer.
Try to surround yourself with fellow believers - any way you can. Use the internet, if you have access. This is a good place to start! :)

My heart goes out to you, and I wish you well.
Keep in touch if you can!

Blessings. :thankyou:

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Okay, first I want to clear up why I am using the anonymous account. Please don't ban me for this. I would have registered if I could have an email address, but my dad has taken all the accounts we're allowed. I don't want to break the rules, I just really need to tell someone my problems so that they can help me.

The full saying is AsalamuAlaykum [Peace be upon you]
Aww SubhanAllah [Glory be to Allah]
Brother I am proud of you and its so beuaitful to see your determination to learn about Islam, Allah shower his blessings upon you my dear brother...

I am a 14-year old British boy who comes from an atheist family, my mum's a teaching assistant and my dad's a professor of geochemistry. I used to be an atheist too, until I found Islam (it's a long story how). I am completely convinced of the truth of Islam, so it's useless for anybody to try to change my mind. My problem is that I am having trouble telling my parents that I want to become a Muslim. I have kept my faith secret for so long (I'm even writing this in secret). I'm really worried about how they will react, I even had a dream that where my parents discovered I wanted to be a Muslim, and (in my dream) my dad chased me and beat me up! Because I kept my beliefs secret for so long, it's really hard to tell them. It's like I'm stuck as a non-Muslim.

Well brother i advise you tell them in a situation that will suit you best i.e. at the right time InshAllah [God-willing]...
The only real advice i can give you is to have faith in Allah, The All-Mighty

Abu Dharr related that the Prophet [Pbuh] said:
Surley i know a verse [from the Quran] which, if people would have followed it, would have sufficed for them converning everything [in life]: "For whost who fear Allah, He provides a way out for them [for everything, and] He also provides them provisions from [sources] that they could never have imagined" [Quranic quotation: Surah Al-Talaq & Hadeeth related by Ahmad and Ibn Majah]

I would recommend you supplicate to your Lord, Verily supplication is the weapon of the believer >> as narated in hadeeth...

".....And bear with patience whatever befalls you..."(Quran 31:17)

Hadeeth: All the sayins, sermons and utterances of the Prophet [Pbuh]. In arabic: Hadeeth (Plural: ahadeeth]

Because of these problems, I decided to find help on the internet, which is where I found out most of the stuff I know about Islam. I tried to join another Muslim forum, so I could post my problems there. After several atempts, I realised that I no longer had an email account. I tried to set one up, but failed. I later found out that my Dad was deleted mine, and set up a new one in it's place to hold all the mail he gets. I thought that I was trapped, but I kept praying (or at least trying to pray, I don't know the proper way to pray, I probably won't be able to until I'm a Muslim, when someone at the Mosque will be able to teach me). I think this site is the answer to my prayers! I can tell someone without having to have an email sent to me, by using this anonymous feature.

SubhanAllah...Brother i think you should start up another account if possible, feel free to email me if you can :

InshAllah if you do, i will try my best to help find valid resources that will bring you closer to deen-ul-haaq [true way of life]...I will post information regarding prayer etc, if not , i will post on this section of the forum :)

I do have a Muslim friend at school, he says he's religious, and he does fast Rahmadan (sp?), but he always listens to rap music and talks about girls and other rude subjects (he's infamous at school for it). I recently tried talking to him about Islam. I told him about how miraculous the Quran is, and said things so good about Islam that no non-Muslim would say them. But I don't think he got the hint that I want to revert. I think he just thought it was a bit of a strange thing to be talking about. I really wanted to tell him that I wanted to become a Muslim, but the words just couldn't come out of my mouth.

Its great you have acknowledged that you want to revert soon InshAllah :'(...Beuaituful...but i think you need to justify to your Lord first...i.e. take Shahadah [declaration of faith ]...Howvere all in good time...
Its a shame this these brothers dont pracitce what they preach...Allah guide them to the true Islam

Another problem I have is school. Because I don't do all these haram things that teenagers are infamous for (I've never drunk alcohol in my life, I have only swore whilst knowing the word was a swear about twice, and I'm the class science nerd), I get picked on. Once one of my friends even told me that I was immature, and that I should 'grow up' (I have yet to see why swearing and drinking is 'grown up'). If I become a religious Muslim, I will most probably be picked on even more. This whole school is just a cess-pool of sin and I don't want to have to put up with it much more (I would never truant though)!

Brother now they will be picked on on the Day of Judgment when they stand before their Lord!...Now in what position will they be?...Everyone will get their wages paid in full...Again i urge you to have saabr [patience]..
With every hardship comes sweet relief << as quoted in a Surah [chapter] of the Quran

One more thing (this one's for my brothers to answer), when do you start getting a beard? I have a moustache, some hair on my lower lip, and some in between my eyebrows, but just white hairs where my beard will be?

Erm i think i'll go to the next comment :rollseyes

EDIT: Please reply! This isn't a scam or a joke I swear! I have better things to do than annoy you lot, why would I do that?
Chillax brother, InshAllah we all all willing to help :)

There are alot of partings but usuall 'WalaykumAsalaam' [Peace be with you also]

InshAllah get back to me if you require more help Peace be with you also x

anonymous
05-20-2006, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi anonymous

I am not a Muslim, so I cannot give advice to all of your concerns, but I will give you my view anyway.

Your faith - whatever you have chosen it to be - is yours personally. Nobody can take it from you. This is your relationship with God - nobody else's!
It is difficult for you, because you are young and still dependent on your parents in many ways. But you are old enough to choose your path of faith!

When people convert to a particular religion, sometimes tensions and difficult times arise as a result. Friends may turn away from you, your family may be angry with you or mock your beliefs. It is part of your path, perhaps like a test to see how serious you are about your new faith!

When I became a Christian and started telling people, I encountered many tensions, and especially with atheists! Perhaps people of other faiths may not agree with your faith, but at least they understand your connection with God. Atheists do not have that connection, so they may perceive your faith as a damaging or dangerous thing. :rollseyes

I don't want this post to be negative, because that's the last thing you need! :X
I suggest that you continue to seek God, and that you pray for guidance and strength to see you through this difficult time. Consider whether you are ready to take one step further into your commitment to Islam, by telling others ... or whether it may be wiser to wait longer.
Try to surround yourself with fellow believers - any way you can. Use the internet, if you have access. This is a good place to start! :)

My heart goes out to you, and I wish you well.
Keep in touch if you can!

Blessings. :thankyou:
Asalamu Alaykum!

Thanks for the reply, I was getting worried that people thought I was doing a prank!
I was worried about someone coming here and saying 'stick to atheism. The Muslims have lied to you', or something like that. Some of them have lied(Harun Yahya is an example, I read his book 'evolution deceit' and it was built on lies and straw-man charicatures), but their are plenty of things which I'm sure they aren't lying about.

I didn't really precieve religion as a dangerous thing, I was much more tolerant than someone like Richard Dawkins, but I did see it as illogical and unscientific. The strange thing is, I now think much more logically than I did when I was atheist. I subjected my beliefs to scientific skepticism, and alhamduliah (sp? can someone please tell me how to spell these, I can only pronounce them in my head) Islam succeeded!

I know I am ready to say my Sahadah, I have got rid of all the false ideas I used to have (not anything to do with violence or anything like that, I always knew that Islam was just as peaceful as Christianity or Judaism or any other of the main religions. My misconceptions arose from a poor explanation of Muslim beliefs back in primary school). I just have trouble telling people about my beliefs.

Well, I have practially an infinite amount of internet access time (my parents know that I just read and type stuff, rather than waste time on computer games like my younger brother does), but outside of the web, I don't know many other Muslims, especially ones as religious as the Muslims that are here (I'm glad this site has a rule against pictures of people in avatars, not many follow that rule today).

Hopefully I can keep in touch, but I am only able to post in the cyber counciling forum though. My dad considered getting me a Yahoo account(he seems to have forgotten it, but that's not his fault, he's often busy) , but I don't know if that will be accepted as an email address.

EDIT: Sorry sister X Maz X, you posted whist I was replying to Glo! Again, I can't get an email account because of my dad (he's an important scientist, he gets lots of mail), so I doubt I will be a normal member any time soon.

I've read information about prayer, but it usually gets kinda compicated. I also saw a flash animation about it, but I can't remember all the stuff. And since I have to recite things, I'm worried that my parents will hear. My younger brother thinks it's strange when I sit up at night in bed!

Walaykum Asalaam!

glo
05-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Salam!

Thanks for the reply, I was getting worried that people thought I was doing a prank!
I was worried about someone coming here and saying 'stick to atheism. The Muslims have lied to you', or something like that.
This is a Islamic forum, so people aren't very likely to tell you that! :)
I didn't really precieve religion as a dangerous thing, I was much more tolerant than someone like Richard Dawkins, but I did see it as illogical and unscientific. The strange thing is, I now think much more logically than I did when I was atheist. I subjected my beliefs to scientific skepticism, and alhamduliah (sp? can someone please tell me how to spell these, I can only pronounce them in my head) Islam succeeded!
I think there is a difference between atheism and anti-theism. (Atheist members here may have a clearer understanding of this)
To my mind, atheists have nothing against religion - except they don't believe in a deity themselves.
Anti-theists, by comparison, believe that there is no deity and that it is harmful to the individual or even society as a whole, to believe in one.
I know I am ready to say my Sahadah, I have got rid of all the false ideas I used to have (not anything to do with violence or anything like that, I always knew that Islam was just as peaceful as Christianity or Judaism or any other of the main religions. My misconceptions arose from a poor explanation of Muslim beliefs back in primary school). I just have trouble telling people about my beliefs.
It takes confidence, experience and wisdom to tell people about your beliefs. Be guided by God in what to say, or what not to say.
Well, I have practially an infinite amount of internet access time (my parents know that I just read and type stuff, rather than waste time on computer games like my younger brother does), but outside of the web, I don't know many other Muslims, especially ones as religious as the Muslims that are here (I'm glad this site has a rule against pictures of people in avatars, not many follow that rule today).

Hopefully I can keep in touch, but I am only able to post in the cyber counciling forum though. My dad considered getting me a Yahoo account(he seems to have forgotten it, but that's not his fault, he's often busy) , but I don't know if that will be accepted as an email address.
Then start here, make Muslim friends, learn ...
Hopefully this forum offers you an environment where you can relax and find yourself ... rather than having to worry what people may think you are.

I hope you find peace around here. And may the peace of God be with you and your family. :)

Muhammad
05-20-2006, 02:34 PM
:sl: - This is the arabic spelling of the greeting in Islam, which means 'peace be upon you'. We pronounce it as "Assalaamu Alaykum".

Your post was most inspiring and amazing to read. I must congratulate you on your zeal to pursue the path of guidance and your strong intent on becoming a Muslim. I am sorry for the delay in replying, (this is often the case in a forum environment) but in no way does it mean that we do not believe you :). You do not need to worry about having broken any rules.

We will help you in any way that we can, by guiding you as to what Islam teaches based upon the authentic teachings from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, as is the aim of this forum, and where necessary we will direct you to more knowledgeable sources and useful references.

Regarding your problems at school, this is natural: people always mock someone who is different. They tend to fear what they do not understand. But it is this kind of struggle that we all go through in some form or another in our lives, and for which Allaah shall reward us Insha'Allaah :).

I admire your abstinence from alcohol and foul language, since it is all too common amongst youth today! I advise you to keep it up and to not allow anyone from hindering you.

This is something that depends and varies with each individual... some people grow their beard at an earlier age than others, and rates of growth differ aswell.

If you have any questions about Islam, please do feel free to ask. If you need to speak to someone in private, that can also be arranged.

Also, the following thread has some Islamic terms that might be of help:
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...mic-terms.html

This thread lists some useful resources for studying Islam:
http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...resources.html

I look forward to hearing from you, and if I may ask, how come your father does not allow you a personal email account?

Thank you for visiting our forum; I pray that Allaah makes it easy for you and brings you closer to His guidance, Aameen.

:w: (And peace be upon you).

Muslim Soldier
05-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Assalmu Alaykum

I am not uch of an advisor but I am proud of you. To see you are ready to lose so much for Islam.

Now how does your dad block your e-mail?
Coz I can help you, or the admin too can get you a username without having an e-mail.

If you need an email add I can make one for you.
Please reply

anonymous
05-20-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
:sl: - This is the arabic spelling of the greeting in Islam, which means 'peace be upon you'. We pronounce it as "Assalaamu Alaykum".

Your post was most inspiring and amazing to read. I must congratulate you on your zeal to pursue the path of guidance and your strong intent on becoming a Muslim. I am sorry for the delay in replying, (this is often the case in a forum environment) but in no way does it mean that we do not believe you :). You do not need to worry about having broken any rules.

We will help you in any way that we can, by guiding you as to what Islam teaches based upon the authentic teachings from the Qur'an and the Sunnah, as is the aim of this forum, and where necessary we will direct you to more knowledgeable sources and useful references.

Regarding your problems at school, this is natural: people always mock someone who is different. They tend to fear what they do not understand. But it is this kind of struggle that we all go through in some form or another in our lives, and for which Allaah shall reward us Insha'Allaah :).

I admire your abstinence from alcohol and foul language, since it is all too common amongst youth today! I advise you to keep it up and to not allow anyone from hindering you.

This is something that depends and varies with each individual... some people grow their beard at an earlier age than others, and rates of growth differ aswell.

If you have any questions about Islam, please do feel free to ask. If you need to speak to someone in private, that can also be arranged.

Also, the following thread has some Islamic terms that might be of help:
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...mic-terms.html

This thread lists some useful resources for studying Islam:
http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...resources.html

I look forward to hearing from you, and if I may ask, how come your father does not allow you a personal email account?

Thank you for visiting our forum; I pray that Allaah makes it easy for you and brings you closer to His guidance, Aameen.

:w: (And peace be upon you).
:sl:!

Thanks, it's good to hear a moderator telling you that you haven't done anything wrong. I was a bit worried about abusing the anonymous user feature, I don't wan't to get IP banned!

After a short period in primary school, I started learning about Islam in wikipedia, because I knew that it was safe and virus-free, but then I started read Muslim websites (the first of which was Osama Abdullah's Answering Christianity site, which whilst it much more imformative than Wikipedia, it has a rather blunt attitude to Christians, which I would find offensive if I was one). I later discovered how reading the comments on islamic forums was much better (I actually smile at the screen sometimes). The only Islamic forum I've been on that I really dislike is the Islam Online discussion board, which is full of intolerant non-Muslims and antisemetic Muslims who do nothing but insult people, regardless of the topic that's supposed to be being discussed.

I hope that life isn't like this after I've finished school! At least I will be able to choose to avoid the bullies, rather than be forced to sit next to them in class!

The first time that my parents offered me alcohol (I was six or something), I refused it because I thought that the police could tell that you were drinking under age, and would rush to your house and put you in prison! It's funny how thinking something so dumb could actually turn out to be benifical!

He is a very important professor at work, so he gets tonnes of email. He needs multiple accounts so that his space isn't wasted by companies sending him spam. He also has my younger brother's account too.

Whoever has designed this forum has certainly done a good job, it's certainly one of the best I've been to.

EDIT: Muslim Soldier, thanks for the kind words, but I don't know how the admins would be able to get me an account, since as far as I know, they need to send an email to you so that you can work the forums. If there was a better way of getting people accounts, I'm sure they'd have done it. My dad doesn't block my email, with our internet service we are only allowed to have four email accounts, and my dad has priority over who gets them. And since me and my brother don't work for a living, my dad gets to use our accounts, and mum gets her own.

Muhammad
05-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for your reply :).

Are you able to make a new email account? If so, why not try doing that and register?

Muslim Soldier
05-20-2006, 03:22 PM
If you want to make a new account whats stopping you?
You can have an e-mail add and dont let your parents know about it.

BTW How do you access this site?

786rani
05-20-2006, 03:23 PM
your story has been beautiful. inshallah you will revert to islam and chose the right path. pm any of us if u need help. if u can pm. i'm not sure. (lol)
rani

*noor
05-20-2006, 03:23 PM
if you need an email account and your father blocked your computer from doing that, why not ask somebody to make you one from their computer so that then you can make an L.I. account??

786rani
05-20-2006, 03:26 PM
good idea sis.
rani

anonymous
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Greetings,

Thank you for your reply :).

Are you able to make a new email account? If so, why not try doing that and register?
As I said before, we are only allowed four accounts with our internet service provider. My dad has three, my mum has one.
If I asked my dad for an email account he would wonder what I would do with it, since as far as he knows, the only people who I talk to using the web are some people on a forum I registered sucessfully for before I lost my email account.

Is someone able to get me an account using their email address, then give me the username and password for it, that might work. If so, I would like to be called Fishman, as I always am called on the internet.

786 Rani, I don't think that this account can PM, even new members can't do that.

EDIT: Muslim soldier, I have tried secretly adding an email account. The computer stopped me, because we are already using all the accounts.
I spend most of my free time reading the internet, so that I how I can access this site. I only have problems with the number of email accounts, not the number of internet accounts. And, thanks to having uber-fast broadband, I can use the internet however much I like.

786rani
05-20-2006, 03:37 PM
u can use my add if u want...
rani

Muhammad
05-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Jazakallahu Khayr... don't forget to change the password once you register :)

786rani
05-20-2006, 03:41 PM
thnx sis 4 helpin this lost bro.
rani

anonymous
05-20-2006, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 786rani
u can use my add if u want...
rani
What's an add? Do you mean account? Do you mean that you can use your email address to get me an account here?

:w:!

786rani
05-20-2006, 03:42 PM
What's an add? Do you mean account? Do you mean that you can use your email address to get me an account here?

:w:!
yes i did but thanx to a great sister on this forum you've got your own now...
rani ps:add is slang for adress so yes it is

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 03:49 PM

EDIT: Sorry sister X Maz X, you posted whist I was replying to Glo! Again, I can't get an email account because of my dad (he's an important scientist, he gets lots of mail), so I doubt I will be a normal member any time soon.

I've read information about prayer, but it usually gets kinda compicated. I also saw a flash animation about it, but I can't remember all the stuff. And since I have to recite things, I'm worried that my parents will hear. My younger brother thinks it's strange when I sit up at night in bed!

Walaykum Asalaam!

InshAllah you can seek knowledge from Brothers and sister on board...I hope your account gets active soon and please dont hesitate to ask about anything and feel free to Pm any of the members :)...

Once your account gets active InshAllah you can ask all the learned brothers and sister for now akhi [brother] take care of yourself and WalaykumAsalaam x

- Qatada -
05-20-2006, 03:50 PM
:wasalamex

What do you want your username to be (on this forum?) and we'll create one for you insha'Allaah. :)

:salamext:

united
05-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Or you could go to the library/an internet cafe and make an add.

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 03:54 PM
If the brothers and sisters are willing to make one for him i see no problem if why they cant do it now InshAllah...Erm state the username and me make you one or anyone else who offered Peace! x

anonymous
05-20-2006, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by x Maz x
InshAllah you can seek knowledge from Brothers and sister on board...I hope your account gets active soon and please dont hesitate to ask about anything and feel free to Pm any of the members :)...

Once your account gets active InshAllah you can ask all the learned brothers and sister for now akhi [brother] take care of yourself and WalaykumAsalaam x

Can my dad's computer pick up messages I send with this Yahoo account? If my dad finds out I've created an email address without his permission, he'll explode!

EDIT: did you say that you can make an account (on this site, not an email account) for me? If so, that would probably be easier.

*noor
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
you should probably change the password.....cuz so many have seen it posted here.

- Qatada -
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
:salamext:

Bro fishman, if you're afraid that your dad will find out you've got another email address. Don't use the yahoo account, because the new user account on this forum has been created for you anyway - therefore, you don't actually need the yahoo account no more insha'Allaah. :)

:wasalamex

Fishman
05-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes!!! It's working alhamdulilah (have I spelt it correctly?) Thank you brothers and sisters!

786rani
05-20-2006, 04:07 PM
yes u have bro. post loads of things and then u can pm every1.

Muhammad
05-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Greetings,

Yep, that's correct Alhamdulillah! It is a pleasure to have you on the forums.

Welcome and enjoy your stay :)!

Now change your password!

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Wohoo Alhamdulillah :) Peace and blessings be upon you!...Enjoy your stay brother!!...Soo happy for you!..All praise be due to Allah WalaykumAsalaam x

Fishman
05-20-2006, 04:11 PM
How do I do that? I can't find my control panel.
Also, should I set my way of life to 'muslim'? Technically I'm not one yet, and I still need to start doing lots of important things such as salat, not eating pork (although some people do know that I have an adversion to it), and other things.

Muhammad
05-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Greetings,

If you go to the top left of your screen, it says User CP - click on that.

Then click on Edit Password and Email on the left bar.

Perhaps it's better to leave the way of life as Undisclosed for now, Insha'Allaah :).

Trumble
05-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Does forum registration not accept web-based e-mail accounts, then? If it does, you could always just set up a Google or hotmail account.

As to the main question, though, I would just tell your parents. Such things are never as bad as you think they might be, and if your parents love you, which I'm sure they do, they will accept if not immediately understand. That may not happen instantly, but if you stay determined over a period of time so they realise your acceptance of Islam isn't just a fad, they will come round in time. Living by Islamic principles will help a lot, too... your parents at least won't have to worry about you being brought home by the police blind drunk!

Fishman
05-20-2006, 04:26 PM
I've done that now. My password is no longer 'reverttoislam'. Thanks for getting me logged in, akhi Muhammad, and without this anonymous user thing, I probably would only have been able to read this forum. Just remember, don't mistake other people using the anonymous user profile for me! That would be both funny and embarrasing at the same time!

Yes Trumble, it is more logical to just tell them, but in practice it's really hard, they will be shocked that I could change like this.

786rani
05-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Good luck bro!!!
rani

Muhammad
05-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Greetings Fishman,

I am glad you made it :)!

Have you ever talked about religion at all with your parents? You could try to give the message slowly and gradually.

Fishman
05-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Greetings Fishman,

I am glad you made it :)!

Have you ever talked about religion at all with your parents? You could try to give the message slowly and gradually.
I went away to do some jobs, I'm probably going to be gone for about 45 mins.

I've talked about creationism (I'm not a creationist BTW, I don't see any contradiction between common descent and the Quran, but the human evolution bit is slightly fuzzy), but not actually about real religion. I suppose I could try, I wrote a book on evolution for a science project once, and talked about Islam in it.

glo
05-20-2006, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Yes!!! It's working alhamdulilah (have I spelt it correctly?) Thank you brothers and sisters!
Hey! Now you have a real name! :statisfie
Welcome, Fishman! :thankyou:

Peace.

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Peace be with you akhi, hope you find this stay beneficial and gain lots of Islamic knowledge Allah shower his blessings upon you WalaykumAsalaam x

glo
05-20-2006, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
your parents at least won't have to worry about you being brought home by the police blind drunk!
Speaking as a mother, that's a distinct advantage! ;D

Peace.

- Qatada -
05-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey.

You might want to check these links out insha'Allaah.

Becoming a Muslim can cause problems with high schooler's family
http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/S...Option=FatwaId

Wants to learn Qur'an and prayers
http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/S...Option=FatwaId

How to Pray
http://english.islamway.com/prayer/BegSound.htm

http://www.bahagia.btinternet.co.uk/prayer3.html

http://www.islamcan.com/salat/duas/index.shtml

Du`a' for non-Muslim Parents
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543246

How Should Muslim Parents Deal with Their non-Muslim Kids
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544430

Frustrations of a Muslim Convert
http://www.islamfortoday.com/frustrations.htm

Rejected? Join the Club!
http://www.islamonline.net/english/i...rticle02.shtml

Qur'an recitations:

http://quran.jalisi.com

Some good islamic lectures:

http://lectures.kalamullah.com

http://www.uponsunnah.com/

Peace.

*noor
05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
now that you have your own LI account, you should probably go to the introduction section and introduce yourself.

Skillganon
05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I am suprised at such a young age you already considered the truth of ISLAM when many go on about with other destructive behaviour or totall ignorance, which is admire you for and commend you for. Have you taken the shahada, if not we can do one here. Parent's reaction may vary but you do have to tell them one day, sooner the better, they might accept it or they might try to dissude you from it with every means. Stay firm, be patient and keep up you prayer, I will try to get you some online help on prayer and stuff like that. I reside in britian more specifically London, if you really need help you can ask me.

Well you have to find a mosque near your area, if you can tell me where you are specifically i.e. which town or city I can inshallah find you a mosque nearby, and people and informative sites for you as considering to be a muslim.

Unfortunetly your friend is a classical example of some who don't practive it properly and are not much aware, and this mainly comes from little schooling in ISLAM, I myself was in simalar state as your friend and only start practicing properly and learning about our deen ISLAM few weeks ago, but I am also little busy with preparing with my university exams. Don't be to harsh on your friend.

Well, I doubt it they will treat you any different that when you was not a muslim, since they already pick on you, bullying is a seriouse issue and if such behaviour goes on you must report it and take it up with the school.

Beard, don't worry about the beard for now, concentrate on increasing you knowledge and faith, (i.e. learning about ISLAM), one day you will have a wonderfull beard and you grand children and children will get the chance of tugging at it.

As I said if you need help we are here, and for meanwhile I will refer you t some video and Guide on how to pray for the moment, and get you some online arabic recitation of the surah's for your prayers later.

You need to make the first declaration of being a muslim, and that is the shahadah, and the sooner we can do that the better. MODERATOR WHAT DO YOU SAY?

Fishman
05-20-2006, 08:16 PM
I keep trying to type up a post, but various family members keep coming in (my little brother came and started to play loud music), so I'll have to keep this one short.
I've been told that I have to shave my head after saying my Sahadah, based on the hadith below:
Narrated by Abu Dawood (356) which says that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded a kaafir man who had become Muslim, “Shave off the hair of kufr and get circumcised.” (Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood; see also al-Mughni, 1/276; Sharh al-‘Umdah by Shaykh al-Islam, 1/350)
I'm already circumcised (alhamdulilah I don't have to go through that again!), but I've never heard the bit about shaving my head. I'm not worried though, we should do anything Allah or his Prophet has commanded us to do.

Brother Skillganon, I have had enough time hiding my faith, and I don't want to have to keep my Sahadah a secret too. I hope to tell my parents that I want to become a Muslim, then say my Sahadah in a mosque, with my brothers and sisters. Doing it the other way round will just cause me more difficulties, I won't be very much of a Muslim if I can't pray or fast because I'm hiding my faith.
Sorry, I'm not from London, I'm from Nottingham, home of the fictitious Robin Hood. It's like London here though, just colder and wetter.

Also, How do I celebrate Eid with non-Muslim family?

*noor
05-20-2006, 08:24 PM

well, you can tell your family about Islam and why we celebrate Eid. Hopefully, they will appreciate it. Since they are not Muslims, they wont be going to pray Eid Salah in the mosque with you. See if you can get to know some good Muslim brothers which you can go to pray Eid prayer with and celebrate Eid with if your family chooses not to celebrate with you because they are not Muslim. If your family decides to celebrate with you, then that'll be good because maybe that is a sign that they are beginning to accept your reversion to Islam.

glo
05-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Is Sahadah the formal ritual to perform when you become a Muslim?
It would be good if your family could be there, when you do it. At least they should no about you doing it.

I remember being baptised by full immersion. It was a hugely important thing for me to do! I have never looked back, but it did cause some controversy amongst friends and family. :?

Walk with God, brother!

Peace. :)

Fishman
05-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Do you think I would be able to celebrate with the family of a Muslim friend?

786rani
05-20-2006, 08:53 PM
yes, as long as you do your eid namaz (prayer)
rani

i have u taken the shahada yet?
rani

Fishman
05-20-2006, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 786rani
i have u taken the shahada yet?
rani
No, but as I said before, doing that in secret will cause more problems for me, insha'Allaah I will tell my parents first, then once they've gotten over the shock, I will say my Shahadah in the mosque, without fear or worries about my parent's reactions.

Can anyone answer my question about shaving my head?

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Is Sahadah the formal ritual to perform when you become a Muslim?
It would be good if your family could be there, when you do it. At least they should no about you doing it.

I remember being baptised by full immersion. It was a hugely important thing for me to do! I have never looked back, but it did cause some controversy amongst friends and family. :?

Walk with God, brother!

Peace. :)
Yes, its known as the declaration of faith when a Muslim testifies that he belives in Allah alone and believes that Muhammed is His last messenger...Very important time in a revert's life :'( SubhanAllah he is pure as the day he is born :'(...
I remember a case during Ramadhan when a brother in my local area reverted during a talk SubhanAllah i heard that he got the gathering brimming with tears :'(...
MashAllah Hope you continue in this endless struggle Peace and Blessings :) x

Muhammad
05-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Greetings Fishman,

Regarding the Shahadah (which is simply a testimony of faith), I haven't heard that you need to shave your head. The following site outlines the steps you need to take, and it mentions that it doesn't necessarily have to be performed in public:

http://www.beconvinced.com/en/articl...n%20To%20Islam

You may also wish to see:
http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=20267&dgn=4

Regarding Eid, I think you should be able to celebrate it with whomever you like :)

Peace.

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Unfortunetly Akhi i cant answer that...will leave that to the more knowledgable about that topic...InshAllah join the Brothers fraction of the forum, they may well provide you with valid information :) Peace and blessings x

786rani
05-20-2006, 09:10 PM
i think you are supposed to shave yr head.
rani

Fishman
05-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Ok, I've got to go to bed! See you tomorrow GMT. Thanks For the advice!

scentsofjannah
05-20-2006, 09:22 PM

Brother Fishman , All praise to Allah for guiding you to the light.Welcome to the forum ..you may be young but you are certainly intelligent..judging from the style of writing :) since you said you're from Nottingham i want to direct you to the Nottingham New Muslim Project..contact Brother Salih or Brother Mahdi Lock and they will give you all the help and support you need InshaAllah www.nottsnewmuslims.com don't worry about shaving your head or growing your beard...whats important is you learn the five pillars of Islam ..the Qur'an..and also read Martin Lings biography of Prophet Muhammed..the best one in the english language...InshaAllah if you have further questions etc..just ask....May Allah make it easy for you and your parents and guide you all on the straight path forever ameen :) .:w:

x Maz x
05-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Ameen, WalaykumAsalaam Akhi, Peace and blessings be upon you and take care x

786rani
05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
salam, take care bro,
rani

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 12:12 AM

Brother Skillganon, I have had enough time hiding my faith, and I don't want to have to keep my Sahadah a secret too. I hope to tell my parents that I want to become a Muslim, then say my Sahadah in a mosque, with my brothers and sisters. Doing it the other way round will just cause me more difficulties, I won't be very much of a Muslim if I can't pray or fast because I'm hiding my faith.
Sorry, I'm not from London, I'm from Nottingham, home of the fictitious Robin Hood. It's like London here though, just colder and wetter.

Tell your parents but don't jump into showing you become like an arab with complete wadrobe change, as that will only make them more apprehensive, I am a muslim and I don't dress anaything like the stereotypical arab. If you parents opposes you seriousely and stop you going to a mosque to do your shahadah than do it openly, even without any muslim present, just between you and your creator, and than if you get the chance you can do it in a mosque, because that is the first pillar of Islam, declaration of faith, and an important one. You don't have to go outside and ravingly declare it openly to everyone but just do it in you room, or I can give you a site where they have a voice room where you can do it openly in front of other muslim, (reverts/ and newbies/born again and maybe even in front of yusuf estes if he is present) if you have a mic or a webcam, let me know first.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Tell your parents but don't jump into showing you become like an arab with complete wadrobe change, as that will only make them more apprehensive, I am a muslim and I don't dress anaything like the stereotypical arab. If you parents opposes you seriousely and stop you going to a mosque to do your shahadah than do it openly, even without any muslim present, just between you and your creator, and than if you get the chance you can do it in a mosque, because that is the first pillar of Islam, declaration of faith, and an important one. You don't have to go outside and ravingly declare it openly to everyone but just do it in you room, or I can give you a site where they have a voice room where you can do it openly in front of other muslim, (reverts/ and newbies/born again and maybe even in front of yusuf estes if he is present) if you have a mic or a webcam, let me know first.
I'm back.
Thanks for the advice. I have, however, been advised (not personally, of course) by another website to wear a thawb (sp?). They say it's so that people identify me as a Muslim. But it's probably a good idea not to jump straight in like that, because like you said, it would make my parents worried.

As for Yusuf Estes, I'm not so sure about him. When I found his website, I saw some rather strange stuff written about the big bang (patterns do form from explosions, such as air currents, sound waves and light). I'm sure he just misunderstood the concept, however. I actually prefer Gary Miller's style of daawa. He's logical, he subjects his conclusions to scientific skepticism (alhamdulilah Islam always suceeds against it), and he appeals to people of many religions, not just Christianity or Judaism. And when he talks about the 'scientific miracles' of the Quran (which I call 'scientific forknowledge in the Quran') he actually mentions the ones that are the most convincing, not the over-exaggerated ones that many people point to.

Yes, I have a microphone (technically its my brother's).

glo
05-21-2006, 01:40 PM
You've had a lot of replies, Fishman! :)
Any more thoughts on how your family will take your conversion to Islam?
Are there any other 'religious' people in your family (not necessarily Muslims, I mean other faiths, too), or do you come from a purely atheist background?

Peace.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
You've had a lot of replies, Fishman! :)
Any more thoughts on how your family will take your conversion to Islam?
Are there any other 'religious' people in your family (not necessarily Muslims, I mean other faiths, too), or do you come from a purely atheist background?

Peace.
Not as far as I know. Some of my more obscure relatives might be religious, though. But having religious family members is not a very good thing, because they are more likely to react in a hostile way.

glo
05-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Not as far as I know. Some of my more obscure relatives might be religious, though. But having religious family members is not a very good thing, because they are more likely to react in a hostile way.
Not necessarily.
As I said in my first post, I find many people of other faiths more tolerant of my beliefs than those people of no faith. (Of course there are many exceptions to this 'rule' of mine.) :)
Perhaps because we have one thing in common: a belief in a deity, however different that may be in detail.

Peace.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Not necessarily.
As I said in my first post, I find many people of other faiths more tolerant of my beliefs than those people of no faith. (Of course there are many exceptions to this 'rule' of mine.) :)
Perhaps because we have one thing in common: a belief in a deity, however different that may be in detail.

Peace.
Athiests are generally (except some, such as 'Ali Sina) more hostile to Christianity than other religions, because they don't want to be classed as intolerant or racist, and because they probably come from a Christian background themselves. They tend to associate Christianity with George Bush (he can't deny evolution, he always makes wierd monkey faces!), preaching and creationism. What religion were your religious family members?

Because of Islam's bad reputation with the media, and certain televangelists calling us the followers of the Antichrist, religious people are more likely to get angry if you become a Muslim. They also believe that their religion is the right one, and want what they believe is best for their children: for them to stay in their faith.

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm back.
Thanks for the advice. I have, however, been advised (not personally, of course) by another website to wear a thawb (sp?). They say it's so that people identify me as a Muslim. But it's probably a good idea not to jump straight in like that, because like you said, it would make my parents worried.

As for Yusuf Estes, I'm not so sure about him. When I found his website, I saw some rather strange stuff written about the big bang (patterns do form from explosions, such as air currents, sound waves and light). I'm sure he just misunderstood the concept, however. I actually prefer Gary Miller's style of daawa. He's logical, he subjects his conclusions to scientific skepticism (alhamdulilah Islam always suceeds against it), and he appeals to people of many religions, not just Christianity or Judaism. And when he talks about the 'scientific miracles' of the Quran (which I call 'scientific forknowledge in the Quran') he actually mentions the ones that are the most convincing, not the over-exaggerated ones that many people point to.

Yes, I have a microphone (technically its my brother's).
Yusuf estes, don't worry about him, he is just trying to simplify things for the ordinary person in america to understand, but he is a cool guy. I agree with you like Garry Miller's approach, listened to some of his audio lecture, and found it rather enlightening.

Athiests are generally (except some, such as 'Ali Sina) more hostile to Christianity than other religions, because they don't want to be classed as intolerant or racist, and because they probably come from a Christian background themselves. They tend to associate Christianity with George Bush (he can't deny evolution, he always makes wierd monkey faces!), preaching and creationism. What religion were your religious family members?

Because of Islam's bad reputation with the media, and certain televangelists calling us the followers of the Antichrist, religious people are more likely to get angry if you become a Muslim. They also believe that their religion is the right one, and want what they believe is best for their children: for them to stay in their faith.
I personally think that the only reason Ali Sina attitude is less hostile to christianity is because he thinks christianity and Judaism is exposed and will fall on its own, (read it on his website somehwere). He Hostility is focused on ISLAM as he thinks it is a threat, but to what kind of threat he percieves ISLAM to be is not neccesarily what he writes (conveys) to his audience.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Yusuf estes, don't worry about him, he is just trying to simplify things for the ordinary person in america to understand, but he is a cool guy. I agree with you like Garry Miller's approach, listened to some of his audio lecture, and found it rather enlightening.

I personally think that the only reason Ali Sina attitude is less hostile to christianity is because he thinks christianity and Judaism is exposed and will fall on its own, (read it on his website somehwere). He Hostility is focused on ISLAM as he thinks it is a threat, but to what kind of threat he percieves ISLAM to be is not neccesarily what he writes (conveys) to his audience.
What I meant about the big bang is that he tried to disprove it (from most of the Muslim sources I've read the big bang is not a threat to our faith, and Gary Miller even says the Quran mentions it) in the least intellectual way possible. The big bang was a very disorderly event, but thanks to the laws of physics, all the stuff was pulled into the order it's in today. We also know that the universe is expanding from science and the Quran, so there must have been a time when it was just a tiny point.

Yes, I even think Gary Miller is better at daawa than Ahmad Deedat!

I don't go on Ali Sina's website, I don't think he deserves a high hit count. If we all ignore new anti-islamic websites, then they will not become popular. Popular ones, however, need to be disproved.

*noor
05-21-2006, 03:01 PM
well, the big bang cannot be true.........how could nothing have turned into something by itself??

Fishman
05-21-2006, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nurofislam
well, the big bang cannot be true.........how could nothing have turned into something by itself??
Science can't explain how or why the big bang happened (all it can explain is that it did), but luckly, religion can. I believe Allah caused it, when He split the Heavens apart.

*noor
05-21-2006, 03:06 PM
check this out: http://islamtomorrow.com/bigbang/

Fishman
05-21-2006, 03:35 PM
I really don't think that discussing this here is going to be of much use. It will just turn into a big debate and ruin our new-found friendships, but, insha'Allaah, I will explain this to you:

First of all, the big bang theory does say that something can come from nothing, but this is only a problem for atheists. When Isa (PBUH) turned the clay bird to a live one with Allah's help, all the chemicals needed for a living bird appeared from nothing, didn't they? Well, couldn't the same thing have happened at the big bang?
Then Yusuf Estes goes on to state that 'before' the big bang there was some solids or gasses. That is nothing like the theory states, according to the big bang theory, there was absolutely nothing 'before' the big bang, no space for anything to exist in, and no time for anything to come to being in. How this stopped is a complete mystery to scientists, except for those who follow the Quran (like I will be one day, insha'Allah).
He also states that there is no evidence for this theory, and compares it with evolution. But in reality, there is plenty of evidence for these things. I suggest that you look up Andya Primanda's site, which is a Muslim website dedicated to showing Muslims the real truth about evolution. Harun Yahya tried to refute him, but he really only refuted part of his work (not very well either), and ignores the rest.

And the rest of the page I refuted by my earlier statement about the big bang. And remember, explosions do cause order out of nothing, such as sound waves. Prehaps the big bang's equivalent to this order is the matter all around us. Or prehaps Allah organised it using another miracle. But we are certain that at one stage, the Heavens were ripped appart violently.
And Allah knows best about these matters.

As I said before, I really don't want to keep discussing these matters here, because it will just turn into a big argument, and I will lose my friends.

Can you give me some advice about some more things:

Where do I pray on a long car journey, when I'm not near a service station?

Can you give me some advice on avoiding TV, music, and games consoles?

How do I persuade my parents not to make me ham sandwiches for lunch?

Tania
05-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Tell them you just find out how great are the sandwhiches with....and would you like that to have for lunch instead of ham.Parents will never say noo to their children if what they want is not some junk food:)

*noor
05-21-2006, 03:43 PM

Can you give me some advice about some more things:

Where do I pray on a long car journey, when I'm not near a service station?

Can you give me some advice on avoiding TV, music, and games consoles?

ok let me try to answer these

i have no idea about the car journey....sorry...maybe somebody with more knowledge can answer that one.

to avoid tv, music, and games, listen to quran or do some reading........i sometimes get addicted to them too, listening to quran helps, or you can read a book about something beneficial, maybe about the stories of the prophets or about basics of Islam.

about the ham sandwiches........have you told your parents that you are reverting to Islam yet??

if you have, then tell them that it goes against Islam to eat pork.

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 03:51 PM
What I meant about the big bang is that he tried to disprove it (from most of the Muslim sources I've read the big bang is not a threat to our faith, and Gary Miller even says the Quran mentions it) in the least intellectual way possible. The big bang was a very disorderly event, but thanks to the laws of physics, all the stuff was pulled into the order it's in today. We also know that the universe is expanding from science and the Quran, so there must have been a time when it was just a tiny point.

Yes, I even think Gary Miller is better at daawa than Ahmad Deedat!

I don't go on Ali Sina's website, I don't think he deserves a high hit count. If we all ignore new anti-islamic websites, then they will not become popular. Popular ones, however, need to be disproved.
EDIT
I did not know Yusuf estes tried to dissapprove the BIG BANG! Maybe I did not read his article on it.

Gary Miller and Ahmed Deedat specialises in more different field and they have a different approach. The succesor of Ahemd Deedat i.e. Dr. Zakir Naik
is more emphasised on comparitive religion, and you can say Gary Miller takes a more logical approach. The underlying message is both are giving dawah, although with a different approach and many has heeded to message and come to the fold of ISLAM. Lets say they give dawah and each are conveying the message to different types of people who may need to be approached differently.

And you are right not to go into anti-islamic sites, all we are doing is getting them to score higher rank in google.

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 04:07 PM
As I said before, I really don't want to keep discussing these matters here, because it will just turn into a big argument, and I will lose my friends.
Don't worry, you won't lose you freind, this is a scientific enquiry. When you are a muslim your part of this ummah (brotherhood) so set aside your fear, we muslim do have discussion about certain issue, but it does not mean when we disagree on a certain subject matter we leave our brothers. As I said it is a scientific enquiry and has no problem with our religion.

Peace.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 04:14 PM
ok let me try to answer these

i have no idea about the car journey....sorry...maybe somebody with more knowledge can answer that one.

to avoid tv, music, and games, listen to quran or do some reading........i sometimes get addicted to them too, listening to quran helps, or you can read a book about something beneficial, maybe about the stories of the prophets or about basics of Islam.

about the ham sandwiches........have you told your parents that you are reverting to Islam yet??

if you have, then tell them that it goes against Islam to eat pork.
No, I haven't told my parents yet, but alhamdulilah your encoraging posts have got me well on my way. Insha'Allaah I will tell Muslim friends at school first, then, insha'Allaah, they will help me sort things out with my parents. I heard it's a good idea to get a place in the local Muslim community first. Thanks to my stay here, I'm much closer to reverting.

Yes, skillganon (what does skillganon mean anyway?), he decided to change his focus from daawa to psuedoscience. I hope he stops, people won't think much of his skill if he continues.
I find Deedat and Zakir Naik are best at daawa to Christians (and Zakir Naik also does some stuff about Hinduism), whilst Gary Miller does daawa to everybody, his 'The Amazing Quran' essay was truly amazing.

*noor
05-21-2006, 04:17 PM
about the ham, tell your parents that you would prefer a chicken sandwich or a turkey sandwhich or a veggie sandwhich for lunch instead..........they're much healthier than ham anyways.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Don't worry, you won't lose you freind, this is a scientific enquiry. When you are a muslim your part of this ummah (brotherhood) so set aside your fear, we muslim do have discussion about certain issue, but it does not mean when we disagree on a certain subject matter we leave our brothers. As I said it is a scientific enquiry and has no problem with our religion.

Peace.
I was just worried that some people were going to start questioning my faith, because modern origin science has unfortunately got a rather bad reputation in religious circles.

Skillganon
05-21-2006, 04:21 PM

Yes, skillganon (what does skillganon mean anyway?), he decided to change his focus from daawa to psuedoscience. I hope he stops, people won't think much of his skill if he continues.
I find Deedat and Zakir Naik are best at daawa to Christians (and Zakir Naik also does some stuff about Hinduism), whilst Gary Miller does daawa to everybody, his 'The Amazing Quran' essay was truly amazing.
Skillganon is a character from a fantasy book written by DAVID GEMMELL.

I will read about on Gary Miller's Essay. Thanks for that.

Fishman
05-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Skillganon is a character from a fantasy book written by DAVID GEMMELL.

I will read about on Gary Miller's Essay. Thanks for that.
Just google it. That's the fastest way to find it, since unfortunately he doesn't have a website.

I wrote a small book (ten pages long) about evolution for a science project recently. I gave a copy of it to my Muslim friend, and I think you will be interested in it too. There are a few mistakes, mostly missed words, but it is largely accurate. Now how would I be able to send it to you?

Muslim Soldier
05-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Fishman you seem yo know a lot about Islam. Are you really a 'new muslim'?

And I think it would be better if you didnt tell your parents anything about your faith. Do your shahada secretly and be extra nice charming and loving towards your parents.

Hopefully they will see a difference and question you. Then explain to them then

Fishman
05-21-2006, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
Fishman you seem yo know a lot about Islam. Are you really a 'new muslim'?

And I think it would be better if you didnt tell your parents anything about your faith. Do your shahada secretly and be extra nice charming and loving towards your parents.

Hopefully they will see a difference and question you. Then explain to them then
I've been secretly reading about Islam for about a year, which is how I know so much. I think that was quite a good idea, because that way I won't have any trouble with what to believe.

I don't think they would believe me if I just told them that I had converted to Islam. They would just think it's really strange, and it would shock them too much.

glo
05-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I was raised as a Roman Catholic - most of my immediate family are Catholics.
I drifted away from my faith, when I left home and became a 'Christmas-and-Easter-Christian', then found out about other religions ... only to return to the Christian faith with a Big Bang! ;D (Sorry, I couldn't resist it!)

The person who has found it hardest to accept my faith is my atheist husband. He is trying to tolerate it, but I think deep down he finds it very disturbing. :X

And yes, he does the 'If-you-are-a-Christian-you must-be-in-support-of-George-Bush-thing'! Very annoying!!! :heated:

You see, these struggles are just part of our walk with God.
Despite the tensions, the sometimes heated debates, the frustrations with each other our marriage has grown stronger over the years ... and I believe that God is right in the middle of it! :statisfie

When you have time, I would love to hear what exactly drew a young atheist like yourself to Islam. :)

Peace.

Muhammad
05-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Greetings,

Regarding the prayer of a traveller, you might find the following helpful:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&QR=49885

For more information about prayer, please see:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&QR=9940

Peace :).

scentsofjannah
05-21-2006, 06:51 PM

fisherman have you been to that site? did u contact the brothers..?

Fishman
05-21-2006, 06:59 PM
I was raised as a Roman Catholic - most of my immediate family are Catholics.
I drifted away from my faith, when I left home and became a 'Christmas-and-Easter-Christian', then found out about other religions ... only to return to the Christian faith with a Big Bang! ;D (Sorry, I couldn't resist it!)

The person who has found it hardest to accept my faith is my atheist husband. He is trying to tolerate it, but I think deep down he finds it very disturbing. :X

And yes, he does the 'If-you-are-a-Christian-you must-be-in-support-of-George-Bush-thing'! Very annoying!!! :heated:

You see, these struggles are just part of our walk with God.
Despite the tensions, the sometimes heated debates, the frustrations with each other our marriage has grown stronger over the years ... and I believe that God is right in the middle of it! :statisfie

When you have time, I would love to hear what exactly drew a young atheist like yourself to Islam. :)

Peace.
First off, I find it very upsetting that Muslim Soldier has questioned whether I am telling the truth. Just because I have a lot of knowledge about Islam does not mean that I'm not sincere. I wouldn't have come here if I didn't know much, I would have tried to learn more. But I now know enough about my religion's beliefs, I have come here for help with putting my faith into practice.
I felt really upset by that post, and I asked Allah to comfort me, and then I found your post. Again, my prayers were answered.

Well, I would say I was a 'Christmas/Easter atheist, only celebrating because my family do, and because of the presents.

The George Bush thing is probably because the most prominent christians are those who support Bush, just like people think 'all Muslims are terrorists' or 'all converts to Islam become shoe-bombers', just because the most prominent Muslims are terrorists. This generalisation has to stop if we want to live in peace.

Well, like how I refused my first drink, my conversion to Islam started with something that I misunderstood as a miracle, and I made a terrible mistake with my creed, which is too embarassing for me to talk about here (how do I say 'Allah forgive me' in Arabic?). But what kept me in Islam after I rejected my mistakes was actually something in the Bible. It was a prophecy that even now I believe must have been reffering to Makkah (It's not that 'vale of Baca' thing). I found it on wikipedia, but you won't find it there anymore, it's been deleted because of it's lack of neutrality. I found a post in the talk section of the article that said something like 'This is a crazy atempt by Muslims to make it seem like Islam is the true sucessor to Christianity and Judaism. Keep neutral-point-of-view and everything, but I want it to seem like this is false'. This is also partly deleted now. A lot of non-Muslims claim that there is a group of Muslims censoring wikipedia, but it's actually the other way round.
I then read all the pages about Islam on wikipedia that I could understand, but felt I still wanted to know more. But I was really nervous about reading sites outside wikipedia.
After I visited my first Muslim site, I felt more and more secure with my faith. I found answers to all my questions about other religions, I found amazing prophecies in the Books of religions from around the world that must be reffering to Islam, and I found out about the miraculous nature of the Quran itself.
But then I stopped feeling so secure. I noticed that despite loads of people saying that Islam was completely compliant with science, I realised most of the 'scientific miracles' were fake, and some of what people were saying was made using psuedoscientific sites to back it up. I realised that all the people who I had counted on had been lied to, and some of them were liars themselves. I felt really sad, and I often cried at night, but Allah heard my prayers, as he always does.
I miraculously recovered from my dramatic loss of Iman. I started thinking in pure, scientific logic, questioning and evaluating my beliefs. I found explanations for the verses of the Quran I had worries about. I realised that the people who taught me were not liars, they were just making mistakes, or were being lied to themselves. I decided that when I grew up, I would free Islam from psuedoscientists like Harun Yahya, and all the others who mislead the innocent.
Afterwards is pretty much the same as before I lost my faith (and got it back again, alhamdulilah!), just reading the web as much as I can, from Islam Online to Islamic-Awareness, from Muslimconverts to Muttaqun Online. Eventually, when I had learnt enough, I knew I was ready for my proper conversion. The trouble was, I couldn't talk to anyone about it. I was too scared of their reaction to tell my parents, and I was too worried I might offend the Muslim boy in my class by accident if I told him.
After a while of just reading some more, I had a science project about famous scientists. Because I had also been reading about evolution, for my 'war (by words, of couse) on psuedoscience' that I wanted to fight in the future, I decided to do Darwin. One of my friends wrote a one-and-a-half page essay on the life of Darwin, and I wrote a 10-page book on the theory of evolution. In my book, besides other things, I talked about the Muslim theory of evolution from the Islamic golden age that was based on the Quran, in an attempt to show that there was no conflict between Islam and science.

When I finished the book, I printed five copies of it. One to give to my English teacher (it was remarkably long), one to give to my RE teacher (it dealt with religion), one to give to my science teacher (it was my science project), one to keep, and, most importantly, one to give to my Muslim friend. After I had given it to him, we talked about Islam for a bit. He didn't get the hint that I wanted to revert, but afterwards, I felt happy knowing that I had taken some important steps. That night, like I often do, I prayed that I could become a Muslim soon. My prayers were answered, in the form of this site.

Wow! I've just written out all of my life story that I don't write down in my English book!

Fishman
05-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry for the late reply, brothers and sisters. That was a long piece of writing. scentsofjannah, I'm Fishman, not Fisherman!

And I can now edit my posts and PM!

Fishman
05-21-2006, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Salam,

Wow, that is a lot to write for someone your age, should'nt you be playing the latest video game :okay:, jk.

Insh'Allah, you will only grow in emaan. :)
Latest computer game, that's my younger brother's job!
Insha'Allaah, you'll only grow in Iman too :)
And, insha'Allaah, I'll be a :brother: soon.

glo
05-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for your story, Fishman! :)

I'm glad my post made you feel better.

I don't think Muslim Soldier was questioning whether you are telling the truth - just being impressd with your knowledge!
We all grow in our faith differently at different times. I don't think there is any competition.
For myself, sometimes it feels like I am walking through treacle, and then next thing I am soaring on eagle's wings! :statisfie

Peace.

scentsofjannah
05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Sorry for the late reply, brothers and sisters. That was a long piece of writing. scentsofjannah, I'm Fishman, not Fisherman!

And I can now edit my posts and PM!

ohh sorry brother..

Fishman
05-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Thanks for your story, Fishman! :)

I'm glad my post made you feel better.

I don't think Muslim Soldier was questioning whether you are telling the truth - just being impressd with your knowledge!
We all grow in our faith differently at different times. I don't think there is any competition.
For myself, sometimes it feels like I am walking through treacle, and then next thing I am soaring on eagle's wings! :statisfie

Peace.
:sl: everyone! I'm back from the first tiring school day of the week, and I look forward to talking to you again! I had a day of trying to dissolve polos in hydrochloric acid in the next part of my science work(no positive results), trying to convince someone that global warming is bad (I think it worked), and trying to convince one of my friends that he's not an extra-terrestrial (I disproved him, but he didn't listen). My history teacher is an interesting person. He's an atheist, but he often speaks against the very things that we Muslims hate (he often rants about girls reducing themselves to boy's fashion accessories). He probably dislikes our religion just as much though, because of the 'religion is the root of all evil' thing.

I was really hoping to tell my Muslim friend today, but he wasn't there. I think he had been on the school trip part of the year had. They had to do a long walk in the Peak District, and loads of people were off because they were tired. I came into school feeling really happy, hoping that my family would know by sometime this week, but when he didn't show up, I started getting worried and unhappy.

Then came lunchtime. It starts off all right, but because of all the people distracting you all around you, as well as eating something (I find that eating less makes me feel more religious), I start getting distracted from thinking about Allah. It all goes down hill from then on, until I get back home, when I can read about Islam, or talk to you.
In the mornings I'm mentally unhappy, but always remembering Allah, and in the afternoon, I'm mentally happy but it distracts me from him. On the weekends and after school, I'm usually both mentally and spiritually happy.

Please reply!

glo
05-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Then came lunchtime. It starts off all right, but because of all the people distracting you all around you, as well as eating something (I find that eating less makes me feel more religious), I start getting distracted from thinking about Allah. It all goes down hill from then on, until I get back home, when I can read about Islam, or talk to you.
In the mornings I'm mentally unhappy, but always remembering Allah, and in the afternoon, I'm mentally happy but it distracts me from him. On the weekends and after school, I'm usually both mentally and spiritually happy.

Please reply!
Sounds like you had a busy day! Welcome home! :)

I think it takes practice to keep the mind focused on God.
Strangely, when I was praying at lunch time I had very similar thoughts:
How easy it is to speak to God when I am alone with him and focused on him.
But when life is hectic, the dinner needs cooking and the children have homework questions; or there are a lot of demands at work - that's when I need God's spirit the most, and that's when it seems hardest to focus on him!

I once read that you should spend just a couple of seconds focusing on God before answering that door, or picking up the phone, or opening your mouth to criticise a friends ... before doing anything, really! :X

I have a Christian friend who sometimes sets her watch to beep on the hour. Annoying, I know - but it helps her to refocus on God once an hour, even if she just spends a couple of minutes in prayer. Quite clever, I thought! :)

Peace.

Rabi'ya
05-22-2006, 03:25 PM

some good advice there glo, As Muslims we would do a similar thing before startinga ny task - like answering the foor or the phone, or eating etc, We say " Bismillah ar-rahman ar-raheem" (in the name of God most gracious, most merciful) in this way, everything we do is in the name of Allah :)

Its certainly important to take a few minutes every so often to refocus, think about this dunya, and the akhira, and realise our palce in life. To remember Allah often certainly has many advantages

Rabi'ya:rose:

Muhammad
05-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Hello Fishman,

Thank you for sharing your day with us :).

I think it's a lot easier to remember Allaah once you begin to implement the second pillar of Islam: prayer! By praying 5 times everyday, we remember Allaah whether we are at school or work, and thus finding a quiet, secluded place to pray is a perfect opportunity to remember and supplicate to Allaah to help us in all our problems.

Even though there may be distractions around you, it is very easy to remember Allaah. He says in His Noble Book, the Qur'an:

[2.152] Therefore remember Me, I will remember you, and be thankful to Me, and do not be ungrateful to Me.
[2.153] O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient.

May Allaah guide you to the truth and keep you firm upon it, Aameen.

Fishman
05-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you had a busy day! Welcome home! :)

I think it takes practice to keep the mind focused on God.
Strangely, when I was praying at lunch time I had very similar thoughts:
How easy it is to speak to God when I am alone with him and focused on him.
But when life is hectic, the dinner needs cooking and the children have homework questions; or there are a lot of demands at work - that's when I need God's spirit the most, and that's when it seems hardest to focus on him!

I once read that you should spend just a couple of seconds focusing on God before answering that door, or picking up the phone, or opening your mouth to criticise a friends ... before doing anything, really! :X

I have a Christian friend who sometimes sets her watch to beep on the hour. Annoying, I know - but it helps her to refocus on God once an hour, even if she just spends a couple of minutes in prayer. Quite clever, I thought! :)

Peace.
When I'm a Muslim, insha'Allaah I'll be able to pray my Salah, and be able to spend about 5 minutes 5 times a day completely focused on Allah.

Talking of Salah, how can I attend Friday prayer if I'm at school? I'm at an age when I'm obliged to go, and I read a Hadith saying that if I fail to attend for a certain amount of time, then Allah will place a seal on me.

Muhammad
05-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Talking of Salah, how can I attend Friday prayer if I'm at school? I'm at an age when I'm obliged to go, and I read a Hadith saying that if I fail to attend for a certain amount of time, then Allah will place a seal on me.
In some schools, the Muslims get together and perform their own Friday Prayer, as well as daily prayers aswell. I guess it depends on how many Muslims attend your school and whether the school will allow them a place to pray.

Alternatively, if there is a Mosque nearby, then you can leave school during lunchtime to attend the Friday Prayer at the Mosque - if the timing is manageable.

Peace.

Fishman
05-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

In some schools, the Muslims get together and perform their own Friday Prayer, as well as daily prayers aswell. I guess it depends on how many Muslims attend your school and whether the school will allow them a place to pray.

Alternatively, if there is a Mosque nearby, then you can leave school during lunchtime to attend the Friday Prayer at the Mosque - if the timing is manageable.

Peace.
Yes, they allow us a place to pray, I think it's in the main hall.

The nearest Mosques that I know about are quite distant from me, but there are quite a few in my city.

glo
05-22-2006, 05:15 PM
When I'm a Muslim, insha'Allaah I'll be able to pray my Salah, and be able to spend about 5 minutes 5 times a day completely focused on Allah.
Is that how long these prayers take? Are they quite prescriptive (i.e. you recite a given text), or do you pray by speaking freely with God?

Talking of Salah, how can I attend Friday prayer if I'm at school?
What do your Muslim peers do?

I'm at an age when I'm obliged to go, and I read a Hadith saying that if I fail to attend for a certain amount of time, then Allah will place a seal on me.
I can't help you there, because this is not what Christian teaching says ...
I'm sure one of our Muslim brothers or sisters can help you though! :)

Peace.

Fishman
05-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Is that how long these prayers take? Are they quite prescriptive (i.e. you recite a given text), or do you pray by speaking freely with God?

What do your Muslim peers do?

I can't help you there, because this is not what Christian teaching says ...
I'm sure one of our Muslim brothers or sisters can help you though! :)

Peace.
I think they are about 5 minutes long, and they are very prescriptive. You have a specific set of movements to perform, and you have to say specific phrases in Arabic.

They pray in the hall, I think.

Fishman
05-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm back from another day at school. Same as yesterday, really. I still tried to prove my friend isn't an alien (he keeps saying he's forgotten the part of his spaceship he says he's going to show me), had a dull French lesson (but German is always much worse), and generally had a really boring time.

My Muslim classmate was in today. I couldn't get the courage to tell him. My best hope is Thursday, when I have religious studies. I normally sit next to him then. But usually he's listening to rap on his phone, and hanging around with his 'gangsta' friends.

I have two questions now. One is, if I tell him I want to become a Muslim, he might not take me seriously, and think I'm making some sort of offensive joke. How can I stop this?

Also, I have music and art lessons at school. Although I'm dropping them next year, I know that it's haram to listen to music, or to draw people or animals, and don't want to have to do these sins once a week until next year. How can I sort this out?

Please continue replying, and please make Dua for me. Alhamdulilah, I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without your help.

Sohrab
05-23-2006, 03:13 PM
MashAllah your enthusiasm is great. Even though you're almost a muslim at present, I've been learning so much from you, despite being a muslim for a long time now. Keep it up bro. I'm sure you'd have known about muslim directory UK, if not, you can access it at www.muslimdirectory.co.uk.

Have you ever visited your muslim friend's family? May be you can visit him, and talk to his parents rather if you fear he'd take it as a joke.

Keep making dua for us too,

Prayers

Fishman
05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sohrab
MashAllah your enthusiasm is great. Even though you're almost a muslim at present, I've been learning so much from you, despite being a muslim for a long time now. Keep it up bro. I'm sure you'd have known about muslim directory UK, if not, you can access it at www.muslimdirectory.co.uk.

Have you ever visited your muslim friend's family? May be you can visit him, and talk to his parents rather if you fear he'd take it as a joke.

Keep making dua for us too,

Prayers
I've used that before. I didn't find it useful, because I would need a car to go to those places.

EDIT: I used a different service. This one requires an e-mail, which I don't have.

I've never visited his house before. According to him his dad is quite 'strict' (read 'tries to stop him doing haram things'). I sometimes walk home with him, but his mum always picks him up at the school gates (it does take quite a while to walk from one side of the school to another. He's always with another friend, and listening to rap. I walk slower, to avoid listening to it unintentionally, and if his friend sees, he always says 'oh I forgot, you're scared of gangsta music'.

Muhammad
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Thank you again for sharing your day. I hope you will begin to enjoy your lessons more, and find the courage to speak out Insha'Allaah.

I have two questions now. One is, if I tell him I want to become a Muslim, he might not take me seriously, and think I'm making some sort of offensive joke. How can I stop this?
If he knows that you are interested in Islam, then it might not be so much of a shock for him. If he doesn't know already, then you could ask him to tell you about Islam and let him know about your interest. Once you can talk about the subject comfortably, the time might be right to tell him. Also, your interest in Islam may have an effect on him and help him to come closer to Allaah. The outcome might not be as you expect, so you could just give it a go.

Also, I have music and art lessons at school. Although I'm dropping them next year, I know that it's haram to listen to music, or to draw people or animals, and don't want to have to do these sins once a week until next year. How can I sort this out?
Attending music lessons is something that many people can't help, and are forced to do. As for art, you can let your teacher know that 'your religion' does not allow you to draw images of living things. It would help if you had backing from people at home, but you could maybe get a letter from someone at the Mosque or something. The art problem should be easier to overcome because you can find alternative things to draw. I know of situations where teachers have cooperated with Muslims in this regard, so you have hope! :)

Please continue replying, and please make Dua for me. Alhamdulilah, I wouldn't have been able to make it this far without your help.
Insha'Allaah, we will! Keep striving for the sake of Allaah and be strong!

Peace.

Fishman
05-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Wa Alaykum Assalaam,

Thank you again for sharing your day. I hope you will begin to enjoy your lessons more, and find the courage to speak out Insha'Allaah.

If he knows that you are interested in Islam, then it might not be so much of a shock for him. If he doesn't know already, then you could ask him to tell you about Islam and let him know about your interest. Once you can talk about the subject comfortably, the time might be right to tell him. Also, your interest in Islam may have an effect on him and help him to come closer to Allaah. The outcome might not be as you expect, so you could just give it a go.

Attending music lessons is something that many people can't help, and are forced to do. As for art, you can let your teacher know that 'your religion' does not allow you to draw images of living things. It would help if you had backing from people at home, but you could maybe get a letter from someone at the Mosque or something. The art problem should be easier to overcome because you can find alternative things to draw. I know of situations where teachers have cooperated with Muslims in this regard, so you have hope! :)

Insha'Allaah, we will! Keep striving for the sake of Allaah and be strong!

Peace.
I doubt I will start to enjoy my French, German and PE lessons more! My favourite lessons are:
Religious studies
Science
History
Geography (this is further up the list when I'm doing physical geography)

Insha'Allaah, I'll share many of my school days with you. And I doubt you'll see one when I can tell you that my friend has stopped claiming to be an alien! I always ask him for proof, and he doesn't give me any!

I think he does know that I have an interest in Islam, probably since last Thursday, when I talked to him about the Quran. If I assure him I'm being sincere, he will probably take me seriously.

I doubt we'll be drawing any people or animals in art again. We covered this topic quite a while ago. As for music, I'll just have to wait and see.

Hope to see your next post soon! I've got to do some homework know, though.

scentsofjannah
05-23-2006, 07:27 PM

there is a difference of opinion about music..many scholars considered it best to avoid (except for those with duff) but there were and still are scholars who say all musical instruments are allowed what makes it haraam is not the instruments by themselves but the lewd lyrics, suggestive videoclips etc ( this is my opinion also)...just clearing it up for you brother..i don't think your muslim friend will be of much help but you should tell him regardless...the best thing you should do is contact the new muslim organisation www.nottsnewmuslims.com they have helped and assisted many new muslims alhamdullilah they even have classes on salaah, arabic etc ..you will also get to meet other new muslims like yourself and when its ramadan, eid etc they will arrange for you to celebrate with them or a muslim family.May Allah guide your unobservant lost muslim schoolmate..ameen:)

peace

Khattab
05-23-2006, 09:32 PM
:sl: Fishman,

Alhamdulillah you show maturity beyond your years. Your posts was one of the best I have seen on LI for a long time, very fascinating and interesting.

You will find all the help you need on the site, take things easy on yourself to begin with and don't overload yourself. Be patient and learn from good, reliable sources.

If there are any questions then feel free to post them on the site and I'm sure any brothers/sisters will try there best to answer them.

Also I recommend the book 'Muhammad: His Life based on the Earliest Sources' by Martin Lings, this will inshallah give you a better insight into the seerah (biography) of the final prophet (peace be upon him).

Fishman
05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Salam,
Just got to say, I admire your feelings towards Islam. :)
Insha'Allah you will revert, without any difficulties.
In the mean time you just got to eat properly, in particular, eat plenty of fish. You may have to go to a fish monger that can provide you with all sorts of different varieties. :D
You had to make another fish joke, didn't you!
Scentsofjannah, I find that music, whilst enjoyable the first time, gets in your head and messes it up. It doesn't matter what the lyrics or video clips are, it tends to make you feel arrogant or, and plays over and over in your head. I find this happens even with music that has no lyrics. I also find it tends to happen only with music that you enjoy listening to.
I don't know how to contact the Notts New Muslims organisation either. I have never enjoyed going out into town, there's nothing to do there. If I decide to go there, my mum will keep asking what I'm doing.
My Muslim friend believes in Islam as a religion, and would probably really want me to convert. The other Muslim in the class, a girl, really is only Muslim by name.

Khattab, which post were you referring to? I've made lots!

Today was another lost chance. At the end of the day I felt really disapointed with my self. And now one of my non-Muslim friends has noticed that there is was something different about me today. I tried to tell him not to investigate what is going on, and that it really wouldn't help if he found out, but he will never take me seriously. I used to be able to have intelligent discussions with him, but now he only makes stupid jokes about communism.

My Muslim friend also told me that he overheard the alien guy saying that he wants to nuke Makkah. The alien guy probably wasn't at school today because my Muslim classmate threatened to beat him up for saying that.

Conclusion from the experiment in my science project: pH does not affect the rate at which polos dissove.

glo
05-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Today was another lost chance. At the end of the day I felt really disapointed with my self. And now one of my non-Muslim friends has noticed that there is was something different about me today. I tried to tell him not to investigate what is going on, and that it really wouldn't help if he found out, but he will never take me seriously. I used to be able to have intelligent discussions with him, but now he only makes stupid jokes about communism.

My Muslim friend also told me that he overheard the alien guy saying that he wants to nuke Makkah. The alien guy probably wasn't at school today because my Muslim classmate threatened to beat him up for saying that.
Hi Fishman

No fish-related jokes from me! ;D

reading your post, I am wondering if perhaps you are trying to hard to
1. tell your Muslim friend about your conversion,
and,
2. keep your conversion from your non-Muslim friends.

Perhaps you just want to relax into your new-found you, and you might find that your friends will start to see the difference in you (as they already seem to start doing!)

This alien friend of yours sounds like he needs some help! Is he serious about his alien claims, or is he messing around?
It's a bit worrying to hear about young guys like that threatening to beat each other up - and missing school because of it!

Conclusion from the experiment in my science project: pH does not affect the rate at which polos dissove.
Cool!
You never know when that kind of thing might come in handy! ;D

peace.

Fishman
05-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi Fishman

No fish-related jokes from me! ;D

reading your post, I am wondering if perhaps you are trying to hard to
1. tell your Muslim friend about your conversion,
and,
2. keep your conversion from your non-Muslim friends.

Perhaps you just want to relax into your new-found you, and you might find that your friends will start to see the difference in you (as they already seem to start doing!)

This alien friend of yours sounds like he needs some help! Is he serious about his alien claims, or is he messing around?
It's a bit worrying to hear about young guys like that threatening to beat each other up - and missing school because of it!

Cool!
You never know when that kind of thing might come in handy! ;D

peace.

Once I revert, most people in the school will probably know I have. I will have no reason to keep it a secret. What I don't want is stories about me reverting to Islam rushing all round the school, and them getting to my parents somehow. I think that they will take it better if they find out because I told them. But I will need help from people who are already Muslims to be able to do that. Isha'Allaah, some people from the Muslim community will be able to meet my parents with me, and help me tell them. that way, it won't end up with me backed into a corner being screamed at for hiding this for so long.

I believe that it's much more important for me to revert first. But if I revert without my parents knowing it will just cause chaos in my life. And my friends weren't noticing a difference in me, they noticed that I had been avoiding them. After I told them that alien guy had said he wanted to blow up Makkah, they said that they thought it was a good idea too. They had offended me before, (like referring to us as pakis and then chickens, apparently not knowing that we are called Muslims, or making really rude terrorist jokes), but this one topped them all off. I had a tear in the corner of my eye.

My friend started claiming to be an alien some time ago. At first I thought he was just joking about, but because it's been going on for so long I think he actually wants us to believe he's an alien.
people threatening to beat each other up at my age is actually quite common, unfortunately. And if someone makes racist comments, they can sometimes get most of the class chasing them. on Tuesday, a boy I know started insulting Germans in the PE changing room. Whilst people were ganging up on him, another boy, probably the most unpopular in the class, turned the showers on, and wet his clothes, which were lying on the floor. The boy who turned the tap on suddenly became popular.

Please pray for me brothers and sisters, tommorow's probably my last (and best) chance this week. I really want things to change soon, and Insha'Allaah I will do it.

Fishman
05-24-2006, 04:59 PM

Sorry I don't have any advice :( ... I'm not really the counseling kind ...
Doesn't matter, I find most of your comments encouraging!

Nafiisah
05-24-2006, 05:09 PM

My dear akhi(brother),Assalamou 'alaikum.The ' indicates that the sound should be gutturaa, come from the throat.
reading your post touched my heart.I am sorry for not replying before. I did not come across ur post or mabe I was not online then.
SubhaanAllah(Praise b to Allah) for making you see the truth of Islam.
I did not read all of the answers to your queies but MashaaAllah(used to express pleasure about something in Arabic)
The first thing to do is to procalaim the Shahaadah(Islamic monotheism)
There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His Prophet(pbuh)
La ilaaha illallahu muhammadur rasoolullah
Firmly believe in this. Ask du'a(supplication) from the Almighty that He might help you in facing anything
If you feel u have the strength to tell your parents now, then do so now. One day or another brother, U will have to tel them. I pray to Allah that He guides them too to Islam and make them understand you.

Dear brother, being Islamic and going against Haraam(forbidden)things is nothing to b ashamed of. Instead, u should b proud of it. Only things for which disadvantages exceed advantages that are forbidden ti us . And Allah knows best what is good for us.

Allahou Akbar(Allah is Great). I am sure He will help you.Please , as others have said, get into contact with Muslims in your locatity and please ensure that They follow only the Qur'aan and the Sunnah(way of life of the Prophet). Stick to tese two and you will please Allah.

Islaam is a complete way of life. I am sure you have read abi=ut its 5 pillars.

I pray that Allah helps you. Do keep us informed if you need anything

Fee Amaanillah(expression meaning under the Protection of Allah and it is saiid on taking leave)
May Allah bless you, protect you and guide you always
Ameen

Goku
05-24-2006, 05:12 PM
:sl: Fishman

Speaking as a Muslim, I'd love it if a non-Muslim came to me and told me he/she wanted to revert to Islam because it gives us Muslims the chance to truly lead someone to the path of Allah and for that the rewards are great.

Keep Faith in Allah, I will pray for you Insha'Allah. Also there may be people who will try to talk you into leaving Islam, pay them no heed because once you find the True Path, you are truely blessed.

May Allah ease your hardship, Ameen.

In your mind, you can already say "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad (PBUH) is His messenger."

Fishman
05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
:sl: Fishman

Speaking as a Muslim, I'd love it if a non-Muslim came to me and told me he/she wanted to revert to Islam because it gives us Muslims the chance to truly lead someone to the path of Allah and for that the rewards are great.

Keep Faith in Allah, I will pray for you Insha'Allah. Also there may be people who will try to talk you into leaving Islam, pay them no heed because once you find the True Path, you are truely blessed.

May Allah ease your hardship, Ameen.

In your mind, you can already say "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad (PBUH) is His messenger."
Thanks for the kind words, ahki!

glo
05-24-2006, 06:59 PM

Once I revert, most people in the school will probably know I have. I will have no reason to keep it a secret. What I don't want is stories about me reverting to Islam rushing all round the school, and them getting to my parents somehow. I think that they will take it better if they find out because I told them. But I will need help from people who are already Muslims to be able to do that. Isha'Allaah, some people from the Muslim community will be able to meet my parents with me, and help me tell them. that way, it won't end up with me backed into a corner being screamed at for hiding this for so long.

I believe that it's much more important for me to revert first. But if I revert without my parents knowing it will just cause chaos in my life. And my friends weren't noticing a difference in me, they noticed that I had been avoiding them. After I told them that alien guy had said he wanted to blow up Makkah, they said that they thought it was a good idea too. They had offended me before, (like referring to us as pakis and then chickens, apparently not knowing that we are called Muslims, or making really rude terrorist jokes), but this one topped them all off. I had a tear in the corner of my eye.

My friend started claiming to be an alien some time ago. At first I thought he was just joking about, but because it's been going on for so long I think he actually wants us to believe he's an alien.
people threatening to beat each other up at my age is actually quite common, unfortunately. And if someone makes racist comments, they can sometimes get most of the class chasing them. on Tuesday, a boy I know started insulting Germans in the PE changing room. Whilst people were ganging up on him, another boy, probably the most unpopular in the class, turned the showers on, and wet his clothes, which were lying on the floor. The boy who turned the tap on suddenly became popular.

Please pray for me brothers and sisters, tommorow's probably my last (and best) chance this week. I really want things to change soon, and Insha'Allaah I will do it.
Sounds like you are having a to to deal with.
It seems that being 14 isn't easy! :rollseyes

You certainly are in my thoughts and prayers! :thankyou:
May God walk before you and straighten your path for you!
Keep us posted on howthings are going, but don't beat yourself up when things don't go exactly as you had planned. Who knows what God has in store for you?!

Blessings.

Fishman
05-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you are having a to to deal with.
It seems that being 14 isn't easy! :rollseyes

You certainly are in my thoughts and prayers! :thankyou:
May God walk before you and straighten your path for you!
Keep us posted on howthings are going, but don't beat yourself up when things don't go exactly as you had planned. Who knows what God has in store for you?!

Blessings.
Being a normal 14-year-old is much easier than being one who secretly wants to revert to Islam! But being a practising Muslim 14-year-old is much better!

No, I don't beat my self up. I usually just feel quite sad. And I will keep posting, Insha'Allaah.

scentsofjannah
05-24-2006, 09:01 PM
I don't know how to contact the Notts New Muslims organisation either. I have never enjoyed going out into town, there's nothing to do there. If I decide to go there, my mum will keep asking what I'm doing.

Brother Fishman theres a 'CONTACT US' on the right hand side of the notts new muslims site to contact brother Salih the events and da'wah co- ordinator here http://ukiew.org/nnm/index.php?optio..._id=2&Itemid=3

To contact brother Lock here http://ukiew.org/nnm/index.php?optio..._id=1&Itemid=3 [

I don't think its situtated in town probably inside the muslim community or it could be near you!:)..if you want to look up salaah times for Nottingham its on that site too. Also thought you might be interested in this islamic institute in your city http://www.karimia.fortnet.co.uk/ind...sk=view&id=179

But I will need help from people who are already Muslims to be able to do that. Isha'Allaah, some people from the Muslim community will be able to meet my parents with me, and help me tell them. that way, it won't end up with me backed into a corner being screamed at for hiding this for so long.

I believe that it's much more important for me to revert first. But if I revert without my parents knowing it will just cause chaos in my life.

Again brother..those people will help you with ALL that InshaAllah...just contact them!:) they will meet up with your parents inshaAllah should you have any problems..and the fact that many of them are converts will make your parents more understanding InshaAllah. Its best you start doing that right away ..isolation isn't a good thing...

And my friends weren't noticing a difference in me, they noticed that I had been avoiding them
you can still befriend them but if they negatively influencing you then best to stay away from them ..if they're harmless then you could postively influence them InshaAllah..also advice the muslim brother that we shouldn't act aggressively..the Prophet peace be upon him said he who angers you controls you. So its best to try to reason with them in a wise way with out the need to box them in the mouth:)

takecare brother..peace..i will continue to make dua for you:)

scentsofjannah
05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
and don't feel sad brother..as muslims we have to be optimistic because we know that ALWAYS theres light at the end of tunnel..no matter how big our problems are

Fishman
05-24-2006, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
Brother Fishman theres a 'CONTACT US' on the right hand side of the notts new muslims site to contact brother Salih the events and da'wah co- ordinator here http://ukiew.org/nnm/index.php?optio..._id=2&Itemid=3

To contact brother Lock here http://ukiew.org/nnm/index.php?optio..._id=1&Itemid=3 [

I don't think its situtated in town probably inside the muslim community or it could be near you!:)..if you want to look up salaah times for Nottingham its on that site too. Also thought you might be interested in this islamic institute in your city http://www.karimia.fortnet.co.uk/ind...sk=view&id=179

Again brother..those people will help you with ALL that InshaAllah...just contact them!:) they will meet up with your parents inshaAllah should you have any problems..and the fact that many of them are converts will make your parents more understanding InshaAllah. Its best you start doing that right away ..isolation isn't a good thing...

you can still befriend them but if they negatively influencing you then best to stay away from them ..if they're harmless then you could postively influence them InshaAllah..also advice the muslim brother that we shouldn't act aggressively..the Prophet peace be upon him said he who angers you controls you. So its best to try to reason with them in a wise way with out the need to box them in the mouth:)

takecare brother..peace..i will continue to make dua for you:)
Sorry sister, I don't have email, so I can't contact them.

scentsofjannah
05-24-2006, 09:08 PM
ohh no worries inshaAllah..i'll try to find their address and post it here inshaAllah :)

Skillganon
05-24-2006, 10:33 PM
You had to make another fish joke, didn't you!
Scentsofjannah, I find that music, whilst enjoyable the first time, gets in your head and messes it up. It doesn't matter what the lyrics or video clips are, it tends to make you feel arrogant or, and plays over and over in your head. I find this happens even with music that has no lyrics. I also find it tends to happen only with music that you enjoy listening to.
My Muslim friend believes in Islam as a religion, and would probably really want me to convert. The other Muslim in the class, a girl, really is only Muslim by name.

Khattab, which post were you referring to? I've made lots!

You seem to have difficulty at school, don't pay to much heed at school and the going on, it will distress you more if you let it go to you. Try to hang out with those are less mischivious, but don't worry to much.
I really think you will be alright. I was going to provide my opinion on your polo experiment but I was caught up revising for my exam when I recieved your email. Just had an exam today on "Advance Analytical Method" 10.am, was half asleep:uhwhat when I walked into the room.
Inshallah, I did good in the exam.
Sorry about your polo exp, hope you got to taste:okay: some!

F.Y.
05-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Salam dear brother

It is so encouraging to read your posts. May Allah help you.
Just one suggestion I would like to make. I am sure it can be overwhleming at first, when you've realised what you want to do and all the knowledge you have learned and still need to know, and also dealing with pressure from parents/friends, etc. Try to take it one step at a time. You can confuse yourself and feel helpless if you try to do too many things at once. Start off slowly when you practice, basically.

Also, you are keeping your distance from friends or other classmates that you used to talk to. It might be a good idea to continue chatting to them on a 'hi-bye' basis. Because when they find out you have reverted, they might think Islam has changed you in a negative way and that is why you are not talking to them. However, if you continue to just small talk, smile, etc, they wont see you or your reversion as so alien. They'll still see you and talk to you - but a 'new and improved' version, inshallah. You can also tell them a few things about Islam, if they are willing to listen and if the conversation permits.

That is all from me. I hope that helps a little bit.

Peace

glo
05-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Being a normal 14-year-old is much easier than being one who secretly wants to revert to Islam! But being a practising Muslim 14-year-old is much better!
I'm sure you are right. You have enough on your plate as it is, and don't need the extra stress of keeping such a big secret from the world!

No, I don't beat my self up. I usually just feel quite sad. And I will keep posting, Insha'Allaah.
Hope things go well today. I trust that God will show you the right way. :statisfie
God bless you!

syilla
05-25-2006, 06:15 AM
fishman... u are so matured...

how old are u again?...

u doesn't sound like a teenager...

i'm sure when u become an adult...u'll be someone famous...

congratulations on your conversion.

May Allah show us the way...

swanlake
05-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Salaam aleykum akhi Fishman

You are already a muslim since you believe in the Oneness of Allah and His final messenger.

You sound very mature for your age. May Allah make things easy for you. You are going through a very important period of your life. Life is a test as you may know. Inshallah May Allah make us those who pass.

Aameen.

Fishman
05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
fishman... u are so matured...

how old are u again?...

u doesn't sound like a teenager...

i'm sure when u become an adult...u'll be someone famous...

congratulations on your conversion.

May Allah show us the way...
technically am not a convert (revert) yet.

Today was arguably the most important day of my life. I told my Muslim friend! ALHAMDULILAH!!! I also found out that whilst being somewhat lax, he's really religious! He goes to classes about Islam every Monday, and says that he's going to tell the teacher there about my problems!

Unfortunately, he seems rather worried that I believe in evolution. He says that I have to 'decide what I believe in'. I know of no contradiction between evolution and the Quran, but people keep saying that it's wrong to believe in human evolution. Other people keep telling me that I can believe in human evolution. How do I sort this out?

Muhammad
05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Hello Fishman,

I am glad you finally told someone about your situation and I hope things will move on quickly now!

Unfortunately, he seems rather worried that I believe in evolution. He says that I have to 'decide what I believe in'. I know of no contradiction between evolution and the Quran, but people keep saying that it's wrong to believe in human evolution. Other people keep telling me that I can believe in human evolution. How do I sort this out?
Check this thread out, it may help you to understand a bit better Insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...rspective.html

scentsofjannah
05-25-2006, 03:05 PM
just curious brother fishman..do u believe Adam and Eve peace be upon them descended from apes..? did u find any verses in the Qur'an to suggest we did descend from apes?..salaam

Fishman
05-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Hello Fishman,

I am glad you finally told someone about your situation and I hope things will move on quickly now!

Check this thread out, it may help you to understand a bit better Insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...rspective.html

A brother told me that Adam and Hawa (pbut) were created in paradise, and then had their souls taken out and placed in some Earth humans, who had evolved from apes. Is this true?

glo
05-25-2006, 03:10 PM
A brother told me that Adam and Hawa (pbut) were created in paradise, and then had their souls taken out and placed in some Earth humans, who had evolved from apes. Is this true?
It sounds to me like this is an attempt to fit the scientific evolution theory in with the teachings of the Qu'ran ...

Glad to hear you had a productiove day at school! :)

Peace.

Muhammad
05-25-2006, 03:11 PM

I've never heard of anything like that, no. The Qur'an tells us that:

2:36 Then did Satan make them slip from the (garden), and get them out of the state (of felicity) in which they had been. We said: "Get ye down, all (ye people), with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood - for a time."

Also see:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=34508&dgn=4

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=13286&dgn=4

Fishman
05-25-2006, 03:27 PM

I've never heard of anything like that, no. The Qur'an tells us that:

2:36 Then did Satan make them slip from the (garden), and get them out of the state (of felicity) in which they had been. We said: "Get ye down, all (ye people), with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood - for a time."

Also see:

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=34508&dgn=4

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=13286&dgn=4

The brother who said this has this (http://www.speed-light.info/islam_cr..._evolution.htm) page. He does make up a lot of fake scientific miracles, though.

There were also a lot of early Muslim scientists who believed that man somehow came from apes. They didn't explain how though.

Muhammad
05-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Greetings,

It seems a strange website... if he is a Muslim then why doesn't he address Muslims properly rather than saying "Moslems believe"? And sometimes people interpret the Qur'an without knowledge; using it to support any idea that they wish to propagate. I suggest referring to wesbites that use sound evidence as their backing.

Are there any particular scientists you have in mind?

Skillganon
05-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree with brother super mod: "muhammad", it is a good way to spot who the writers are, and sometime their intention by the way they spell certain words, e.g. moslem, koran e.t.c

Their is lot of wierd site's been flying around to confuse people, and I have seen some people, in the past, post these kind of websites here in this forum so be careful.

scentsofjannah
05-25-2006, 03:57 PM

brother fishman heres the address and phone numbers of the karimia institute in Nottingham

Bobbersmill Community Centre
512 Berridge Road West, Bobbersmill, Nottingham, NG7 5JU
England

0115-841-5806
0115-841-5807

Fishman
05-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Greetings,

It seems a strange website... if he is a Muslim then why doesn't he address Muslims properly rather than saying "Moslems believe"? And sometimes people interpret the Qur'an without knowledge; using it to support any idea that they wish to propagate. I suggest referring to wesbites that use sound evidence as their backing.

Are there any particular scientists you have in mind?

try visiting http://www.islamabad.net/science.htm to find out about these scientists!

I noticed that he doesn't address Muslims properly, and I thought it was strange. He also translates parts of the Quran in strange ways.

When I told my friend today, a lot of people noticed something was happening. At the moment, only about three non-Muslims know, and they are people I can trust (but now I don't think it was such a good idea). But everyone seems to want to snoop around with things. Also, my younger brother walked home with my friends (I walked home with my Muslim friend today), and he tried to tell them what was wrong with me lately. He told them that I was circumcised! I don't really want a bunch of teenagers at my school to know that, and now I have to put up with this!
See why I didn't think telling non-Muslims straight away was a good idea!

Fishman
05-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Salam Fishman,

Does your brother know that you have an interest in Islam?
If you mean Muslim brother, he certainly knows now!

If you mean biological brother, no, he does not know. We usually keep away from each other, he sits downstairs watching TV, and I sit upstairs reading the internet. When we meet there's usually trouble!

My religious education teacher also knows (my Muslim classmate said that it would be a good idea for me to tell him). He told me to come to his classroom tomorrow morning, and asked me to talk about this with a non-Muslim. I don't understand why he advised me to do this, he said he wasn't trying to discourage me.

Fishman
05-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Been there done that :-\ .. siblings, who needs them anyways!..:okay:

Bare in mind, you will have to tell him some day right?

Hmmm, I don't undestand the motivation behind such a meeting, but my advice, just go to the meeting with an open mind, Insh'Allah the truth will prevail.

THEN after the meeting get your self some FISH and chips ;)

Argh!!! The fish jokes are everywhere!!! Help!!!

He said he wants to help me revert. I'm not sure what he's going to do, but it's probably worth it.

I can't get fish 'n' chips afterwards, the meeting's at school in the morning.

My mum gave me ham sandwiches today, and she's wondering why I didn't eat them.

swanlake
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM

What the teacher tells your parents about your conversion?

Fishman
05-25-2006, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake

What the teacher tells your parents about your conversion?
He doesn't know my parents. They only visited him on one parent's evening.

insha'Allaah my Muslim friend will introduce me to other Muslims at my school.

scentsofjannah
05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
THEN after the meeting get your self some FISH and chips ;)
lol

Fishman
05-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Some questions:

I read a hadith that says I'm not allowed to have images in my house. What do I do?

Where do I pray? I have to share my room with my brother.

glo
05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Fishman;326660There were also a lot of early Muslim scientists who believed that man somehow came from apes. They didn't explain how though.
:w:[/QUOTE]
Hi Fishman

I gather from Muhammad's link that Islam teaches no contradictions with the general evaolution theory (it neither proofs nor disproofs it), but is quite clear on human being created rather than evolved.

As a scientifically minded person, where do you stand in believing in evolution generally, but not in human evolution?

I quote from Muhammad's previous link (#127):
The Prophet (peace be upon him) identified the "male" mentioned in this verse as being Adam. He said: “Human beings are the children of Adam and Adam was created from Earth. Allah says: ‘O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most honorable of you with Allah is the one who is the most God-fearing’.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî (3270)]
The highlighted sentence seems to contradict the evolution theory, but only if you read 'created' to mean 'formed by hand'. Could it not mean created through evolution?

What do you make of this?

Peace.

Fishman
05-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi Fishman

I gather from Muhammad's link that Islam teaches no contradictions with the general evaolution theory (it neither proofs nor disproofs it), but is quite clear on human being created rather than evolved.

As a scientifically minded person, where do you stand in believing in evolution generally, but not in human evolution?

I quote from Muhammad's previous link (#127):

The highlighted sentence seems to contradict the evolution theory, but only if you read 'created' to mean 'formed by hand'. Could it not mean created through evolution?

What do you make of this?

Peace.
According to Islam, man was created in Heaven (not Eden) and was then sent down to Earth. I can think of two explanations that do not conflict with the Quran or the scientific evidence:
1. Adam and Eve (pbut) were created in Heaven, but when they were sent down, their souls were put into the bodies of humans that had evolved.

2. Adam and Eve were created in Heaven, with their bodies and minds an improved version of the earlier type of human called homo sapiens (today we are homo sapiens sapiens). They were then sent down to Earth.

Both of them cannot be disproved, unless we invent a time machine. Number one seems more scientific, whilst number two fits the Quran more carefully.

Islam does not claim that evolution is impossible, or make the mistakes of previous scripture. Islam does reject things like the gaia hypothesis or the selfish gene theory, because they are attempts to explain the meaning of life from an atheist perspective.

What do you think, brothers and sisters?

Sohrab
05-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Actually I've heard Scholars (ulema) having differing opinion on this evolution subject. The one's who don't reject it totally, have the opinion as brother Fishman has stated in the first possibility. The point to make is if your theory of evolution makes you think that this world and all the living beings, and all the universe came into being just by chance, no purpose behind their creation, and it's all going to keep on evolving with no ending, and that's why there's no creator God/Allah....then most certainly it's a very wrong concept. And most of the scholars reject it purely because of this reason. Others say that evolution and islam are in some ways compatible, and to them accepting evolution doesn't necessarily mean denial of creator, or rejection of islam.

Fishman
05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sohrab
Actually I've heard Scholars (ulema) having differing opinion on this evolution subject. The one's who don't reject it totally, have the opinion as brother Fishman has stated in the first possibility. The point to make is if your theory of evolution makes you think that this world and all the living beings, and all the universe came into being just by chance, no purpose behind their creation, and it's all going to keep on evolving with no ending, and that's why there's no creator God/Allah....then most certainly it's a very wrong concept. And most of the scholars reject it purely because of this reason. Others say that evolution and islam are in some ways compatible, and to them accepting evolution doesn't necessarily mean denial of creator, or rejection of islam.
There are two types of evolution. Theistic evolution says that Allah controls evolution. That's the kind I believe in. Atheistic evolution, on the other hand, says that there is nothing controlling evolution, and the only purpose of life is to pass on DNA to the next generation.

Why do most scholars reject it because of this? Darwin didn't become an atheist because of science, he lost faith because of the death of his daughter. He said that his discovery posed no threat to religion.

Please support me, brothers and sisters, I'm probably going to have a rather difficult time because I've told my non-Muslim friends. I should have just let the Muslims know.

Skillganon
05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I think their is a big problem when sometime people start thinking theory as absolute fact, maybe one day another theory will replace the previouse. This has been shown in the past.

Fishman
05-25-2006, 08:32 PM
I think their is a big problem when sometime people start thinking theory as absolute fact, maybe one day another theory will replace the previouse. This has been shown in the past.
Sorry skillganon, you have made a mistake with the definition of 'theory'. Whilst popular language says that 'theory' means 'guess or conjecture', the real definition is 'a discription of how a system works'. In a design and technology class, the lessons where your teacher explains how something works are called theory lessons.

Theories do replace each other, but today this usually occurs in the cutting-edge of subjects, such as cosmology. I doubt evolution will be replaced.

I would rather be a creationist than someone who believes in evolution, but the evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

I think we should get off this subject now, since Root or Heigou are probably going to mistake it for a debate topic!

Could anyone answer my questions about images and praying that I asked earlier?

glo
05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
According to Islam, man was created in Heaven (not Eden) and was then sent down to Earth. I can think of two explanations that do not conflict with the Quran or the scientific evidence:
1. Adam and Eve (pbut) were created in Heaven, but when they were sent down, their souls were put into the bodies of humans that had evolved.

2. Adam and Eve were created in Heaven, with their bodies and minds an improved version of the earlier type of human called homo sapiens (today we are homo sapiens sapiens). They were then sent down to Earth.

Both of them cannot be disproved, unless we invent a time machine. Number one seems more scientific, whilst number two fits the Quran more carefully.

Islam does not claim that evolution is impossible, or make the mistakes of previous scripture. Islam does reject things like the gaia hypothesis or the selfish gene theory, because they are attempts to explain the meaning of life from an atheist perspective.

What do you think, brothers and sisters?
Thank you for putting your views across. That's very interesting, and demonstrates that you have put a lot of thought into this.

Peace.:)

Skillganon
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Sorry skillganon, you have made a mistake with the definition of 'theory'. Whilst popular language says that 'theory' means 'guess or conjecture', the real definition is 'a discription of how a system works'. In a design and technology class, the lessons where your teacher explains how something works are called theory lessons.

Theories do replace each other, but today this usually occurs in the cutting-edge of subjects, such as cosmology. I doubt evolution will be replaced.

I would rather be a creationist than someone who believes in evolution, but the evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

I think we should get off this subject now, since Root or Heigou are probably going to mistake it for a debate topic!

Could anyone answer my questions about images and praying that I asked earlier?
I know what theory is, I did not say it was just guess or conjecture's, I been studyng science for most of my life. All I am saying is you should not take it as factual. One theory might hold more weight than another, because of number of reason, either more work is done on it, or the other theory has fallen behind due to technology for such endevour e.t.c.

Here' read this you might find it interesting, it is on philosophy..Karl Popper.

glo
05-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Please support me, brothers and sisters, I'm probably going to have a rather difficult time because I've told my non-Muslim friends.I should have just let the Muslims know.
I don't agree with you there.
Part of your faith walk will be to hear opposing views of non-believers, work through them and then be able to relate your own views to them.
It doesn't mean that you will always have the right answers to hand, or even to 'win' all arguments.
What I am trying to say is that you will have to learn to understand and respect other views, even if they contradict your own views - and to be able to remain strong in your faith!

It's a great journey you are embarking on! Make the most of it! :)

Blessings.

Sohrab
05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
For images and Prayers....Your concern is genuine. Images of Humans and Animals are the ones that should concern you. The best place to pray, i think, is in your own room. You can either remove the images, or then replace them with others like flowers, landscapes etc. In worst case, try not facing them when you're saying the prayers. But don't stop praying just because you find it may be difficult to find a proper room with not images.
May Allah take care you you
Prayers

P.S. "glo" has an excellent point in "What I am trying to say is that you will have to learn to understand and respect other views, even if they contradict your own views - and to be able to remain strong in your faith!" God Bless You

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.