/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Racism: the new EU political force

shible
01-29-2007, 05:21 PM
:sl:

Europe's far-right, xenophobic and extremist parties crossed a new threshold yesterday, winning more speaking time, money, and political influence in the European Parliament than ever before.

Claiming the backing of 23 million Europeans, ultra-nationalists secured enough MEPs to make a formal political grouping, underlining the growing challenge posed by the far right across the continent. For the first time since the Second World War a series of elections has swept nationalistic, far-right parties into office in municipal, regional, national and European parliament elections. The admission of Romania and Bulgaria in January of this year brought in enough far-right MEPs to form a bloc.

Mainstream politicians have been struggling for years to contain the threat from hardline nationalists and extremists who have entered coalitions or supported ruling governments in countries such as Austria, Denmark, Poland and Slovakia.

Amid formal protests and jeers in the Strasbourg Parliament, 20 MEPs yesterday signed up to the new formation called Identity, Tradition, Sovereignty (ITS). As a formal group, they are entitled to up to €1m in central funding. It is led by Bruno Gollnisch of France's National Front, who is awaiting a court verdict on charges of Holocaust denial.

Here is the link

Racism: the new EU political force

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Count DeSheep
01-31-2007, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
It is led by Bruno Gollnisch of France's National Front, who is awaiting a court verdict on charges of Holocaust denial.
Wow...That kinda court needs to move to Iran...XP

Dahir
01-31-2007, 03:40 AM
I've been realizing an emergence -- or re-emergence -- of ultra-nationalist European political parties. To add fuel to the fire, Serbia (non-EU) just elected -- to the dismay of the entire world -- the most ultra-nationalist president for a decade!

Adding to this, is the fact that the unpopular, but ultra-reformist Pope Benedict was elected.

He was elected because many Europeans felt that Pope John Paul II was too lenient when it came to immigration and especially from Muslim and far east nations. You can detest that, but its fairly accurate.

It seems that these ultra-nationalist political parties are being elected by Europeans, sort of what the Europeans wanted to say a long time ago, but only recently got the green light to go ahead and execute.

This is Europe's nationalist reformation, we'll see how it goes.

Keltoi
01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Politics work sort of like a bell curve, or business cycle. One political ideology will take root and seem unstoppable for quite a long time. Then different situations arise, different threats, different leadership, etc. An increase in support for "ultra-conservative" politicians is obviously a reaction to something. My bet would be the immigration of Muslims into Europe, and of course the threat of terrorism.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ACC
01-31-2007, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
I've been realizing an emergence -- or re-emergence -- of ultra-nationalist European political parties. To add fuel to the fire, Serbia (non-EU) just elected -- to the dismay of the entire world -- the most ultra-nationalist president for a decade!

Adding to this, is the fact that the unpopular, but ultra-reformist Pope Benedict was elected.

He was elected because many Europeans felt that Pope John Paul II was too lenient when it came to immigration and especially from Muslim and far east nations. You can detest that, but its fairly accurate.

It seems that these ultra-nationalist political parties are being elected by Europeans, sort of what the Europeans wanted to say a long time ago, but only recently got the green light to go ahead and execute.

This is Europe's nationalist reformation, we'll see how it goes.
I have not seen where the Pope is unpopular. Not the exciting pick, yes, but unpopular? This may be true, but I personally have not seen it. In fact, amongst Catholics that I have talked to, he is very popular.

Keltoi
01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ACC
I have not seen where the Pope is unpopular. Not the exciting pick, yes, but unpopular? This may be true, but I personally have not seen it. In fact, amongst Catholics that I have talked to, he is very popular.
Pope Benedict was never unpopular among Catholics. Not as charismatic as John Paul, but not unpopular at all.

Dahir
02-01-2007, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Pope Benedict was never unpopular among Catholics. Not as charismatic as John Paul, but not unpopular at all.
Wow. Really?

Certainly not the circles I've been around. Then again I live in a liberal area of town where even the hardcore Catholics detest their Pope. :confused:

I remember during the Papal elections, a Nigerian cardinal had higher chances of becoming the next pope. Not to mention, that the entire Latin world, especially Romans (Italians) have been crying for a Roman pope to be elected -- this after the 30-year reign of the Polish John Paul II.

We might be talking to different circles, the Catholics I've spoken to are mostly Mexican and other Latin American assorted nationalities -- I bet an Irish catholic would be more in favor of Benedict. Maybe...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.