/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reading the Quran

chris4336
01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Asalamu Alakum

I am revert, and do not speak Arabic...I have been reading the Quran in English and listening to the podcast Quran Weekly. To be completely honest I find it a little challenging to get through.

However, I am also reading a biography about the Prophet Mohamed. In this biography, as they go through different points of his life, the author also writes "This is when the verse came down about _____" and then will tell the verse from the Quran in its context. When written this way the Quranic verses seem much more meaningful to me and I feel like I understand them a lot better. Does this happen to anyone else??? Is there a website, or translation of Quran that kind of helps to explain the context of each verse?

Thanks
Christina

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
01-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Assalamo Alaykum

Holy Quran Viewer (v.2.9) is very good for understanding the context and translations of the Holy Quran
It can be downloaded from http://www.filesland.com/companies/D...wer-Koran.html
and is completely free.

If you have any questions then just ask.

Abdullah

- Qatada -
01-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Wa alykum as-Salaam warahmatulaahi wabarakatuh.

I understand what you mean sister, i'm sure alot of us understand it better with a scholar or teacher to explain the context of the verse instead of simply interpreting the Qur'an according to our own understanding.

We as simple laymen aren't allowed to do that and this requires the science of tafsir/explanation of the Qur'an. There are many tafsir of Qur'an which mention a verse of Qur'an and then explain which context it was revealed in, how the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) explained/interpreted it, why it was revealed and it may even mention situations of when the companions used the verse later on within their lifetime after the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) left this earth.

Here's a good link to check a famous tafsir by a scholar called Ibn Kathir:

http://www.tafsir.com

About your other statement regarding listening to Qur'an, you can download some recitations from this link, which has a verse of Qur'an in arabic, then a translation in english after it - verse by verse. Please check this out too:

http://sabbir.com/DownloadHalal.html

Peace.

UmmSqueakster
01-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I find Muhammad Asad's translation with notes to be very interesting. He writes little notes about different verses that makes me stop and think more deeply. It's kinda expensive, but it's the best purchase I've ever made.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chris4336
01-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks all! The websites look great, and I might have to get the book as a birthday gift to myself :-)

Jayda
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chris4336
Asalamu Alakum

I am revert, and do not speak Arabic...I have been reading the Quran in English and listening to the podcast Quran Weekly. To be completely honest I find it a little challenging to get through.

However, I am also reading a biography about the Prophet Mohamed. In this biography, as they go through different points of his life, the author also writes "This is when the verse came down about _____" and then will tell the verse from the Quran in its context. When written this way the Quranic verses seem much more meaningful to me and I feel like I understand them a lot better. Does this happen to anyone else??? Is there a website, or translation of Quran that kind of helps to explain the context of each verse?

Thanks
Christina
hola chris4336,

this is an online version of the quran that i read, the footnotes are very helpful.

zaria
01-30-2007, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chris4336
Asalamu Alakum

Thanks
Christina
MashaAllah, Welcome to Islam. I remember you too. Yusf Ali version of the Quran is good also. I'm not sure of any website but you can go to any Islamic store and get one. Alhamduillah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.