/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Genetic engineering

Zone Maker
01-30-2007, 06:25 AM
:sl:

I would like to know are there any side effects from genetic engineering?
I mean after editing (changing/removing) a certain gene can it irritate the whole D.N.A. structure (might take years if not generations) into responding negatively by showing unwanted side effects that cannot be predicted by scientist.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zone Maker
02-05-2007, 09:04 AM

Can any one answer my question? Or at least typing a link might help.
I am sorry but I am curious about this and need to know the answer.

Skywalker
02-05-2007, 09:27 AM
I have no idea...maybe you could read up on it. Try wikipedia...

I like your sig by the way.

Maidah
02-05-2007, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Skakeen

I mean after editing (changing/removing) a certain gene can it irritate the whole D.N.A. structure (might take years if not generations) into responding negatively by showing unwanted side effects that cannot be predicted by scientist.

I would guess with my basic knowledge:? , that since our DNA replicates itself, it's not hard to remove the specific section of the DNA required that codes for the desired protein . It's only a small repeated section that is required really. And it depends on what source of vector has been used if any sideffects develop. If you want more info you should check the internet but best is to visit some research place that is working on this at the moment, long but helpful. Hope it helps you to find your answer.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skillganon
02-06-2007, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Skakeen

If you are talking about the application of genetic engineering than it will be best known that it is used for manufacturing Human insulin. Basicly the gene that expresses the human insulin is cut with restriction endonucleas and which is spliced and inserted in to a plasmid. You now call it a recombinant DNA. The recombinant DNA than inserted into a bacterium, mainly E.Col, which grows and produces the human insulin.

It has less impurity and causes less side-effect. In the old day's they use to use pig insulin for treatment.

Now if you are talking about gene therapy, well let's say their is a long way to go if such thing is possible.

Zone Maker
02-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks for answering my question.
I will also try doing my own research.

Sabbir_1
02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Dont know of the side affects, but they are changing allah creation, messing around with the genes...

JimMorrison
02-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Actually,in my country, (Canada), you can choose the sex of ur kids, the colors of hair,eyes. (For like ... 250,000$ i think)Its insane no?

north_malaysian
02-07-2007, 04:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JimMorrison
....(Canada), you can choose the sex of ur kids, the colors of hair,eyes. (For like ... 250,000$ i think)Its insane no?
You can do the same in "the Sims 2" :D

JimMorrison
02-07-2007, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
You can do the same in "the Sims 2" :D
Yes but i talking about the real life :D

Woodrow
02-07-2007, 05:58 AM
In many ways genetic engineering is not much different than selective breeding. In selective breeding you only breed livestock with the qualities you wish to enhance. Some good examples are in modern live stock with the possible exception of most goat breeds the live stock of today has very little resemblance to it's ancester of 500 years ago. One of the best examples is the milk cow. todays milk cow produces gallons of milk daily the cows of 200 years ago and the feral wild cows of today only produce enough to feed one possibly 2 calves, roughly 2 quarts of milk per day.

The difference is that now instead of waiting several generations for a specific trait to be spread naturaly among a species microscopic surgery of strands of DNA produce the same result almost instantly. Are we messing with creation? That is another topic. However, by no means are humans creating a creature that could not develop in nature. the long term effects, depends on how we progress. Most of todays farm animals are not capable of existing in the wild. So it there were a catastrophe in which humans could no longer care for the farm animals they would most likely become extinct after one generation.

جوري
02-17-2007, 10:55 PM
currently there is no Genetic engineering that involves sex chromosomes.
when scientists work with genetic engineering believe it or not the motive isn't to make freaks or super humans. It is actually to help people with serious diseases.
Take SCID for example.. Severe combined immune deficiency ( think bubble boy) who died when taken out of his bubble... This disease was successfully treated in a few patients using Gene Therapy--
requirements
The gene must be identified and cloned.This has been done for the ADA gene.
It must be inserted in cells that can take up long-term residence in the patient. So far, this means removing the patient's own cells, treating them in tissue culture, and then returning them to the patient.
It must be inserted in the DNA so that it will be expressed adequately; that is, transcribed and translated with sufficient efficiency that worthwhile amounts of the enzyme are produced.

Scientists are trying to use gene therapy to wipe out genetic diseases which people normally don't survive, SCID being one, lysosomal storage disease, glycogen storage diseases and even some cancers with genetic predisposition. People in politics are evil, I fully believe that... some scholars who pass fatwas are ignorant or acting from what they believe is right-- even though it might not be-- I am not saying people in science aren't evil-- but believe me more of a concern is saving lives than altering human makeup.
I mean think of it this way. Not everything is so very black and white, so you use your Islam and your knowledge to do good not bad and decide for your person since you'll be raised on your intentions not communal efforts
Is plastic surgery Haram? could be if you are completely altering your appearance, is it Haram when you have a mucor (fungal infections) that eats away half the face and a person is in need of debridement and serious plastic surgery to restore breathing and function to newly denuded areas?.....
Is choosing the sex of your child Haram? I personally think it is, but is wanting to help save your child from a serious fatal disease Haram? I'll leave that answer to your discretion
fi aman illah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.