PDA

View Full Version : Death of Floppy disks

FBI
01-30-2007, 08:17 PM
:sl:

It's the end of an era

Tuesday, 30 January 2007, 16:45 GMT

Assalaamu 'aleykum.

The time has come to bid farewell to one of the PC's more stalwart friends - the floppy disk.
Computing superstore PC World said it will no longer sell the storage devices, affectionately known as floppies, once existing stock runs out.

New storage systems, coupled with a need to store more than the 1.44 megabytes of data held by a standard floppy, have led to its demise.

Only a tiny percentage of PCs currently sold still have floppy disk drives.

"The floppy disk looks increasingly quaint and simply isn't able to compete," said Bryan Magrath, commercial director of PC World.

Iconic status

It is not the first time the death-knell for the floppy has been sounded. The first nail in the coffin came in 1998, when the iMac was revealed without a floppy disk drive.

Then in 2003, Dell banished disk drives from its higher spec machines.

FLOPPY FACTS
The original floppy disk held 100KB of data
The standard disk held 1.44 megabytes of data - equivalent to a three-minute song
In South Africa, floppy disks are commonly known as stiffies
Best-selling 12 inch Blue Monday was sold in a sleeve designed to look like a floppy disk

In 1998, an estimated 2 billion floppy disks were sold, according to the Recording Media Industries Association of Japan.

Since then global demand has fallen by around two-thirds to an estimated 700 million by 2006.

Only 2% of PCs and laptops currently sold by PC World still have built-in floppy disk drives and by the summer it will phase even these out.

It is with mixed feelings that the computer store has decided call time on the floppy.

"The sound of a computer's floppy disk drive will be as closely associated with 20th Century computing as the sound of a computer dialling into the internet," said Mr Magrath.

But with computer users increasingly using the internet or USB memory sticks - some of which store 2,000 times the capacity of the floppy disk - to transfer data, it is becoming redundant.

It is a far cry from its halcyon days in the 1980s and 1990s, when floppies provided essential back-up as well as playing a crucial role in transferring data and distributing software.

Shrinking disk

The first floppy disk was introduced in 1971 by IBM and heralded as a revolutionary device.

The brainchild of a group of Californian engineers led by Alan Shugart, it replaced old-fashioned punch-cards.

An eight-inch plastic disk coated with magnetic iron oxide, the nickname "floppy" came from its flexibility.

In 1976 the disk shrank to five-and-a-quarter inches - developed again by Alan Shugart, this time for Wang Laboratories.

By 1981, Sony shrank it some more - this time to three-and-a-half inches - the standard used to this day.

By the early 1990s, the growing complexity of software meant that many programs were distributed on sets of floppies. But the end of the decade saw software distribution swap to CD-ROM.

Vista icon

Alternative backup formats, new storage such as the CD-RW and the arrival of mass internet access, consigned the floppy disk to the dusty corner of peoples' desks and, eventually, the bin.

For those in the industry, there is little to mourn in the loss of floppy disks.

"You can get so much more information on other forms of storage. Technology moves on," said Bryan Glick, editor of Computing.co.uk.

But, he said, its demise, could prove problematic for those who have stored precious data on disk.

"There will be shops where they can get the data transferred but it they still have the original data they would be advised to invest in a portable hard drive or put it online," he said.

Interestingly, software giant Microsoft seems to be keeping the flame alight for the floppy.

Its newly-released operating system Vista still pays homage to it by continuing to use a floppy disk as the icon for saving a document in Microsoft Word 2007.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6314251.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
01-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Look at the bright side. Office Depot will be having a big sale on floppy disks. I better go buy a few cases to store alongside my punch cards. They may come in handy some day.

Oddly most PC's are now sold without Floppy drives. However, External USB floppy drives are big sellers.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
01-30-2007, 08:29 PM
I really used to hate floppy disks, they always used to mess up on assignment deadline day.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-30-2007, 08:30 PM

I can imagine the day when I tell my grandchildren, "Bete, this is was what your grandpa used when he was your age. Its called a "floppy-disk"".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FBI
01-30-2007, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
I really used to hate floppy disks, they always used to mess up on assignment deadline day.
I know what you mean bro, it's always something along the lines of this disk isn't formatted or something.

Helena
01-30-2007, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Madani

I can imagine the day when I tell my grandchildren, "Bete, this is was what your grandpa used when he was your age. Its called a "floppy-disk"".
LOL.......thats hilarious.....

floppy disk was easier for me....but when it came to saving coursework.....dam the problem begun...lost me wrk/or either disc is not working.....

other then that USB surely is convenient or sending it thru email...either ways suit moi....

Kittygyal
01-30-2007, 09:03 PM
salamualikum.
OMG i still hate floppy disks why? because everytime the sliver part used to mash up grr
Ma'assalama

Al-Hanbali
01-30-2007, 09:05 PM

Yh floppy disks are of the past now..............USB keys are the best........no problems most of the time :)

Helena
01-30-2007, 09:06 PM
yeap it can hold enough materials....

Kittygyal
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhul-Fiqhar

Yh floppy disks are of the past now..............USB keys are the best........no problems most of the time :)
salamualikum.
so true or even better MP3 players they have more MG bytes.
Ma'assalama

'Abd al-Baari
01-30-2007, 09:09 PM
LOL NICE ARTICLE
But they are sot of way too old and they hold hardly anything

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
yeah I remember I couldn't save too many documents especially with pics because memory would fill up. Only problem memory sticks is you forget to take em out of the slots, i lost about 2 already and left my other one in the computer a few times but luckily it's still been there.

Kittygyal
01-30-2007, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
yeah I remember I couldn't save too many documents especially with pics because memory would fill up. Only problem memory sticks is you forget to take em out of the slots, i lost about 2 already and left my other one in the computer a few times but luckily it's still been there.
salamualikum.
lucky you grr :mad:, i have lost 3 && still haven't found them grr this one is me 4th one now, even though got 3MP3 Players i think there better because have more MG Bytes.
Ma'assalama

Al-Hanbali
01-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Yh thats one problem with USB keys or MP3 Players.....they can be easily mislaid......Thank Allah (swt), I'v still got mine......almost lost it 3 times :)

unknown_JJ
01-30-2007, 10:48 PM
yeh i think we bought too many floppy disks in the past , that i dunno what to do with them now...

Helena
01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
woah u guys lost ur usb many times....

ya Allah...am soo careful with mine....

jzcasejz
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
OMG i still hate floppy disks why? because everytime the sliver part used to mash up grr
Ma'assalama
LOL Yeah...Guess I Won't Miss Floppies That Much Due To That...The Silver Tops Alwayz Used To Mash Up...The Plastic Top Ones Never Used To Mess Up...Only The Silver Ones...:thumbs_do :playing:

Good Riddance Floppy Disks...

aamirsaab
01-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Brothers and sisters of Islam and Humanity as a whole. The janazah for floppy disks will take place tomorrow.

Refreshments will be served and a USB device sale will be on.
:w:

Sabbir_1
01-31-2007, 12:24 AM
3mb they used to hold.crappy things..

..i think they gonna stop building the floppy disk drives too. because if they stop making floppy disks than they gonna stop floopy drives..

Sabbir_1
01-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Brothers and sisters of Islam and Humanity as a whole. The janazah for floppy disks will take place tomorrow.

Refreshments will be served and a USB device sale will be on.
lol..thats funny..

Woodrow
01-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Then when you crash and your PC does not detect the CD-ROM drive you can not use your MS-DOS floppy to jump start the PC and you now have to call a tech for $200 to turn the silly thing on for you.

Kittygyal
01-31-2007, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
LOL Yeah...Guess I Won't Miss Floppies That Much Due To That...The Silver Tops Alwayz Used To Mash Up...The Plastic Top Ones Never Used To Mess Up...Only The Silver Ones...:thumbs_do :playing:

Good Riddance Floppy Disks...
salamualikum.
join the crew dude, i hate the plastic ones though hate all of them my IPOD is the best :p

:lol: brother Amir.... you are funni haha, :shade:
Ma'assalama

Kittygyal
01-31-2007, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Then when you crash and your PC does not detect the CD-ROM drive you can not use your MS-DOS floppy to jump start the PC and you now have to call a tech for $200 to turn the silly thing on for you.
salamualikum.
wow i remember that was such a hectic for me in U.S because i used to use 'floppy' grr, now thats the past so yeah over && done with.
Ma'assalama

afriend
01-31-2007, 07:47 PM
This is for the times you've let me down...Die in Hell :mad:

hissa
01-31-2007, 11:59 PM
Am I the only one who's gonna miss flobby disks? I always thought they were easier to save stuff on. Oh welll.. Rest in Peace flobby disks.

Woodrow
02-01-2007, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hissa
Am I the only one who's gonna miss flobby disks? I always thought they were easier to save stuff on. Oh welll.. Rest in Peace flobby disks.
I like them also. For me they are a low cost way of saving individual doucments that I have reason to keep and want to keep them seperate.

snakelegs
02-01-2007, 12:38 AM
there is something called zip disc that holds more.
i hate CD's because they are so fragile.
i don't know about these "USB memory sticks" - do they work like external hard drives? do you have to buy a separate thingy to use them or is there some Mystery Place on your computer where they go? how much do they hold? are they as easy to use as an external hard drive?
this is something i will have to learn more about. anything that would replace CD's can't be all bad.
i've put all my music on my mp3 player so i don't have to worry about the CD's anymore. mp3 players may have their own problems, but so far, i am blissfully ignorant. (have had mine for close to 2 years and use it a lot).
as you can guess, i'm pretty computer-unenlightened.

Malaikah
02-01-2007, 06:38 AM
^Aren't MP3 players USB's? Mine is.

BlissfullyJaded
02-01-2007, 07:18 AM

MP3 players generally are USB. But USB sticks are different.
i don't know about these "USB memory sticks" - do they work like external hard drives? do you have to buy a separate thingy to use them or is there some Mystery Place on your computer where they go? how much do they hold? are they as easy to use as an external hard drive?
Yeps, they're external drives that connect to your USB port on your computer. I'm not sure the maximum they can hold...but I do know some can hold at a GB.

resize imageasp?image id10616&ampheight200&ampwidth200&ampmodebox&ampbgcolorffffff -

snakelegs
02-01-2007, 07:36 AM
yes, i think my mp3 player is USB - it has a flat thingie that you stick into the appropriate thingie on the computer.
i'm not sure what merits memory sticks have over external hard drive - these are gradually getting cheaper and you can buy a mini external hardrive that holds 120 GB's and more.
thanks for the info - this is something i'll need to look in to some more.

cihad
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
i never liked floppys -they could never hold enuf information and i always ended up having to get new ones

goodbye floppy-RIP

welcome CD, USB and all other new technology!!

afriend
02-02-2007, 08:42 PM
You know, you can find MP3 players with more memory than I have in my computer Snakelegs. lol

snakelegs
02-03-2007, 07:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
You know, you can find MP3 players with more memory than I have in my computer Snakelegs. lol
mine is 30GB - zen creative nomad juke box. it has all my Important Music on it and is almost full.
i love it. you don't need to use the battery at all - you can choose and play it just on electricity. i use it as my main player.
the new ones come with too much extra junk - like tv, radio and who knows what all stuff i don't want.
i love my mp3 player! i think it's the greatest, wonderfulest gadget yet and i am not a great lover of gadgets.

AmarFaisal
02-03-2007, 08:08 AM
usb r the best..floppy was never reliable..got me into bad situations at wrok and school..
but i feel sad..just like u have to say bye to an old friend

BlissfullyJaded
02-03-2007, 08:41 AM

Now, now, is that how you would describe an old friend at their death? As unreliable and got you into bad situations? :hiding:

ژاله
02-03-2007, 09:18 AM
obviously......

lol

zanjabeela
02-03-2007, 09:19 AM
I remember when I got this laptop of mine, and came home to discover it did not have a floppy drive--I was simply devastated. I mean, I never even thought to check if the thing had one or not, I so took it for granted. 3.5 years later (don't laugh at the laptop's age!), I don't miss the floppy one single bit. The memory sticks rule...as do MP3 players that are like an external hard drive. Way to go!

afriend
02-03-2007, 10:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
mine is 30GB - zen creative nomad juke box. it has all my Important Music on it and is almost full.
i love it. you don't need to use the battery at all - you can choose and play it just on electricity. i use it as my main player.
the new ones come with too much extra junk - like tv, radio and who knows what all stuff i don't want.
i love my mp3 player! i think it's the greatest, wonderfulest gadget yet and i am not a great lover of gadgets.
lol. 30 Gb that's over double my hard drive capacity :p...I use my phone for that. I got a 1Gb memory card and shoved all my media files onto there...well almost all. I use it for everything but a phone :p. Yeah I agree, there's too much extra trash on Hi-Fi systems and stuff like that, simple technology is becoming scarce lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.