/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are the winter blues hitting you?

AQSA
01-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Are the winter blues hitting you?

It’s the winter season where the days are shorter, the nights are longer and the moods are lower than usual. At least half a million people, mostly women, are thought to suffer from the winter blues, known as ‘seasonal affective disorder’ (SAD). Symptoms of SAD, which have been linked with the lack of exposure to daylight during the winter months, include depression and fatigue. Many people feel like hibernating and have sleep problems, lethargy, overeating, anxiety, loss of libido and mood swings.

But leading experts recommend several methods which can effectively tackle the problem and aid people to get through the winter without the blues.

Take a trip down town:

A trip to London’s Science Museum could help for starters. Earlier this year a café designed to help people beat the winter blues by giving them a much-needed dose of light was set up. The Dana Café offered free 20-minute light treatments to counter the effect of dark winter days.

Exposure to bright light for between one and four hours a day can be an effective treatment for SAD in up to 90% of cases. It is thought that light triggers a change in chemical production within the brain, raising levels of the mood chemical serotonin, and slowing production of the hormone melatonin, which is responsible for making us sleepy and animals hibernate.

If you can’t have the real thing:

Get an artificial one. Some severe sufferers are actually given "light-boxes", which emit light similar to sun-light to compensate. These are available for purchase.

Don’t hibernate:

Getting outdoors, especially in the mornings when it is brightest, will give you a much-needed dose of light, e.g. wake up for prayer.

Exercise:

Even if it means rigorous housework or brisk walking to your destination every day- exercise is proven to raise levels of the mood chemical.

You are what you eat:

People tend to over-eat during the winter, especially sufferers from SAD. Follow a healthy eating regime that will make your body glow with natural light. But experts say that genuine SAD sufferers can get worse upon returning to the UK gloom.

Treat yourself and recharge your batteries:

Don’t forget that you deserve to be treated every now and then, especially during the harsh winter months. Take a warm, relaxing bath with essential oils to soothe your body and mind. Many aromatherapy essential oils have a beneficial effect on the mind, helping to clarify thoughts and improve alertness. Choose bergamot to revive, lemongrass to counter sluggishness, orange to lighten mood and peppermint for a physical and mental lift. Curl up with a good book or go out with some friends. It is essential to take a break from the pressures of life and wind down in order to recharge your batteries.

Keep yourself warm:

Wrap up with warm coats, gloves, scarves, hats and boots. Eat warm, cooked food and drink plenty of hot drinks.

Go herbal:

Herbal teas come in a wide range of selections, including ones that stimulate calming and relaxing emotions. Severe sufferers of SAD should try St John’s Wart, a herbal remedy that effectively helps beat depression.

Sip away:

Take sips from your water bottle throughout the day. Staying hydrated assists to flush out toxins from the body, metabolises fat, and allows your nervous system to work more effectively- making you feel better.

Body and Soul:

Book yourself in for a massage or let a family member do it for you. It’s proven to relax tightened muscles which release tension. Prayer is a form of meditation; try to effectively pray in order to feel peace, calm, relaxation and clarity.

Go Bananas:

As well as boosting physical energy levels, bananas have a beneficial effect on mental energy. Stuffed full of serotonin, a feel-good, mood-lifting substance, and dopamine, which is important for emotional balance, one a day should be what the doctor orders.

Do a good deed:

Whether it's giving a colleague a hand with their workload or simply taking the time to call your mum to see how she is, when you take the time to be nice to someone you'll immediately feel lifted.

It’s all in the colour:
Wear warm, cheerful colours at home or outside- colours are proven to have a large part on our mental well-being.

And finally: However bad your day is going, smile- it’s a charity as stated by the Prophet Muhammad.

http://www.themuslimweekly.com/fulls...TION=Lifestyle

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
02-03-2007, 10:59 PM
I actually love the winter. Happiest time of the year for me. I do understand the "cabin fever" issue, and when you're snowed in that can be a problem.

strider
02-03-2007, 11:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I actually love the winter. Happiest time of the year for me. I do understand the "cabin fever" issue, and when you're snowed in that can be a problem.
Same here.

Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
you are what you eat, lol that made me laugh mashaAllaah, i tried imagining being a sandwich, lol now thats one scary thought especially if theres a huge fat man on the other end wiv an open mouth :omg:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
02-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Actually, I'm enjoying the cloudy days. I don't like the odd sunny day and am dreading the summer. :-\

snakelegs
02-05-2007, 02:28 AM
i love summer - i don't know why They don't have it all the time!

Skillganon
02-05-2007, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i love summer - i don't know why They don't have it all the time!
That is called the weather and season.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.