/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Zakaah

Abdul-Raouf
02-01-2007, 01:36 AM
only muslims shd reply

Im still doing my studies... I havent started to earn.....

But i save the money(Doesnt use it much).. which my parents and other relatives give to me(its for me now)...

I give zakah from that money to other muslims...

Is it compulsory for me(I havent started to earn) to give zakah??

Another Q is...

Eg : if i have 1000 dollars how much zakah i should give.. is it 20%? and is it 20% evry month...???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
02-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Asslamu alaikum.

Here is an extract from Islam-qa.com

Paying zakat on total wealth not just the amount greater than nisaab

Question:
Should the Zakat be paid from the WHOLE money you have (if more than elnisab) or from the amount you have beyond elnisab (the remains from subtracting the nisab from the whole money) ?

Answer:

Al-hamdu lillah (all praise be to Allah). Al-Khiraqi (rahimahullah) said: "If it (nisaab al-zakaat) is reached then a quarter of 1/10 is due upon it and upon whatever exceeds it, no matter how small." Ibn Qadama (rahimahullah) in explaining this statement said: "Meaning that if the amount of silver has reached 200 (which is the nisaab of silver in dirhams as has been discussed in question # 64) and the dinars 20 (which is the nisaab for gold in the units of mathaqeel [ see also question #64]) then one is obligated to pay zakaat upon it one quarter of 10 percent, as this has been established by his (the Prophet's , peace be upon him) saying 'for silver, one fourth of one tenth' " (Al-Mughni ma'a al-sharh il-kabeer, 2/600)

As for the meaning of the rest of the statement that what exceeds the nisaab no matter how small, it means that 1/4 of 1/10 (i.e. 2.5%) is also due upon this surplus difference. Thus, the overall meaning is that if monetary wealth surpasses the amount of nisaab, then zakaat is due upon it all, and not upon the surplus only, nor upon the amount of nisaab only, but on the total. Note that zakaat must be paid on the excess amount over nisaab, regardless of how small. This is the opinion taken by Malik and al-Shaafi'i and jumhoor al-ulemaa'. (see the source quoted above)

Link: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=zakat

Also Check:
1. http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?pg...glist=0&ln=eng

Skillganon
02-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Question:
I live in the united states. How much is Nesab el-Zakat in US dollars?

Answer:

Nisaab ul-Zakat for naqd (gold and silver) is defined as the minimum amount of naqd specified by shari’a below which one is not required to pay zakat, whereas if one’s wealth exceeds it then zakat becomes incumbent.

And it is known that zakat ul-maal (wealth) in shari’a is required for the two types of naqd—gold and silver—and what serves their function in modern times (commonly referred to as cash), whether it is dollars or riyals or pounds or otherwise.

Nisaab for gold as our Prophet (peace be upon him) has informed us (and for currencies made from gold) is 20 mithqaalan, a measure which is equivalent to 85 grams of pure gold (1 mithqaal = 4.25 grams). It becomes incumbent upon anyone who owns such an amount in any form to pay zakat on it in the amount of 2.5%.

Nisaab for silver and currencies made from silver is 200 dirhams, which is equivalent to 595 grams of pure silver (1 dirham = 2.975 grams). Likewise, it becomes incumbent upon anyone who owns such an amount in any form to pay zakat on it in the amount of 2.5%.

It is well known that there is a noticeable disparity between the value of nisaab for gold and that of silver in our times. The best and most conservative for a poor person is to assess how many dollars he has that have been in his possession for a complete lunar year (Hijri, which is 354 days). If the amount reaches the value of nisaab for silver or more, then he should pay from it for every 1000 dollars, 25 dollars (i.e., 2.5%) to be spent in the prescribed benficiaries as specified by shari’ah, and we ask Allah to aid us and help us succeed in haqq il-maal wa salla allahu ala nabiyyana muha

Note you can find the current price of gold and silver via the internet, such as on the following page:
http://www.tradeshop.com/cgi-bin/cgi.../aipm/gold.cgi

ref: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=zakat

Skillganon
02-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Bro, I do not know if one falls into the criteria of giving zakah. You better ask a Scholar.

Anyway, whatever you give inshallah will be accepted and you will be earning a good reward for it. I think the post above should answer your Dollor question.

I hope that helps.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Erundur
02-01-2007, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
only muslims shd reply

Im still doing my studies... I havent started to earn.....

But i save the money(Doesnt use it much).. which my parents and other relatives give to me(its for me now)...

I give zakah from that money to other muslims...

Is it compulsory for me(I havent started to earn) to give zakah??

Another Q is...

Eg : if i have 1000 dollars how much zakah i should give.. is it 20%? and is it 20% evry month...???

:salamext:
I believe its 2.5%.

Zakat is purification for the owner of the wealth and purification for his character and means to make his wealth grow and be increased, this characteristic cannot be found in taxes.

Ther are so many differences between Zakat and taxes in their means. In Zakat, Islam deteremined the kinds of wealth which Zakat is anually levied, such as livestock, crops, and minerals and it also determined the amounts to be levied from each kind, and as well as determined those people who are deseerving for Zakat. What is worthy of notice hre is that all these categories determined, do not chang with the change of time or place, but rather the rules of Zakat are permanent rules stated in teh Sharia fundamentals or in their branches according to the Sharia criterions, and controls. Another importantpoint is that these rules are not changeable or amendable as one or more would desire for.

As for the rules which govern taxes they are totally different. Takes are obligatory on the absolute. they are imposed on those who have and those who have not, whtere theses are direct taxes or indirecttaxes. For instance Zakat is not imposed on someone who does not have gold or silver...

Zakat is decisively legitimate Sharia obligation for a Muslim, and its subject is whate he possesses as wealth (Al-Mughni wal. Sharh-al-Kabeer Li-Ibn. Qudamad, vol. 2, p. 433. Badaie-Al-Sanaie fi Tarteeb ash-Sharaie lil-Kasani, vol 2. Pages, 2,3,90). Its Obligation stipulates that Zakat giver must be a Muslim in the first place. The wealth Must be the kind of wealth from which Zakat could be levied. The wealth must have reached (Nisab) or the minium amount upon which Zakat is due, and this (Nisab) must have completed a whole year.
--Contemporary Jurisprudence Reasearch Journal

A Study of Jurisprudence of Zakat (Alms)- Dr. Abdur Rahamn Hassan Al-Nafisah

Conditions for Zakat

1) The Individual must have the wealth in his posession and he must havve the choice to spend it.
2) It has to reach the required amount (over $30.00)
3) It has to complete one full year, and the amount must exceed the cost of living expenses for the individual and his dependants.
--Islam: Its Meaning, Objectives and Legislative System- Dr. Abdullah Muhammad Khouj

Just give whatever you feel you should give, since your not making much.

Hope that helps.

:sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.