/* */

PDA

View Full Version : grow a beard?

michaelconvert
02-02-2007, 06:24 AM
I am a recent convert. I went to mosuqe for the first time tonight. I was just wondering if i need to grow a beard. Many of the men there did not have beards and i was just wondering.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
02-02-2007, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by michaelconvert
I am a recent convert. I went to mosuqe for the first time tonight. I was just wondering if i need to grow a beard. Many of the men there did not have beards and i was just wondering.

assalaamu alaykum michael,

growing a beard is classified as wajib, that is obligatory in islam so if you are able you should keep a beard.

but more importantly work on the bigger matters first, like learning prayers and making sure you are making them on time.

a lot of people follow a cultural version of islam, so dont understand the importance of these rules that make us strand out from the non muslims, others know what they should do but dont because they are lazy or sinful.

but as a new muslim concentrate on learning your prayers and fundemental beliefs first and if you can yes keep a beard.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

IbnAbdulHakim
02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
:salamext:

Welcome to islam brother.

Beard is waajib :)

Alhamdulillaah

Please if you have any questions later on ask inshaAllaah.

:wasalamex

One Man Army
02-02-2007, 10:56 AM
hey y do muslims grow their beard and not their mustoush? or say beard, and not hair on head?

Akaal sahai

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
02-02-2007, 11:50 AM
i do it because i heard that its a command from the messenger of Allaah swt.

Hope that answers the question :)

many people also say its to distinguish ourselves as muslims and to be recognized as muslims.

Allaah knows best the matter.

Dawud_uk
02-02-2007, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
hey y do muslims grow their beard and not their mustoush? or say beard, and not hair on head?

Akaal sahai
hi ultimate truth,

the prophet muhammad pbuh commanded us to trim the mustashe and let the beard grow because the disbelievers do otherwise. we follow this guidence because God in the Quran commands us to follow his last prophet's example and guidence and to obey him.

as for hair, it should all be of one length but the prophet pbuh had his hair at various lengths, though i have read reports that he ordered new reverts to shave their head also.

Abu Abdullah

Strzelecki
02-02-2007, 12:49 PM
I am confused by a few things...
Is not growing/keeping a beard haraam?
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
as for hair, it should all be of one length but the prophet pbuh had his hair at various lengths, though i have read reports that he ordered new reverts to shave their head also.
Okay. I have long hair, and I'm still growing it. Is there any limit to just how long ones hair can be?
[I'm aiming for about belly-button legnth :) ]

Idris
02-02-2007, 05:01 PM
I feel sick then I see someone with a mustache……. I mean how can he eat his food with all the hair in the way ahhhhh .

Pk_#2
02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
^^ LOL

InshaAllah bro, If you can keep a beard, keep one :)

Look part of the Ummah and follow the prophets example at the same time

Welcome to Islam bro,

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh!

Emperor
02-02-2007, 06:18 PM
hi ultimate truth,

the prophet muhammad pbuh commanded us to trim the mustashe and let the beard grow because the disbelievers do otherwise.
Plenty of disbelievers grow beards.

Woodrow
02-02-2007, 07:07 PM
The growing of the beard is one of the things we are commanded to do if possible. That is the only reason needed.

Trying to come up with logical reasons to grow one is only confusing. The answer may differ from time to time. It may be for recognition. But, here in the USA there are many groups that grow beards, Some Jews, Russian and Greek Orthodox, NOI, are some that will for religious purposes. Then we have the ones who grow one for non-religious purposes our left over hippies and beatniks, some of the impoverished.

With that said there may be other reasons as to why we are commanded to wear a beard. Perhaps many of us will never know all the practical reasons

But, it should be sufficient reason to do so, because we are told to.

tomtomsmom
02-02-2007, 07:21 PM
May I ask... Are you allowed to keep a short beard or do you just let it grow and never cut it?

To Michaelconvert-if you can't have long hair may I suggest you donate your hair? There is an organization called Locks of Love that takes donated hair and turns it into wigs for children with cancer. You have to have at least 10 inches to cut off and you just mail it to them. If you do decide to cut it and want to donate it let me know and I can give you the adress.

Woodrow
02-02-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emperor
The Quran does not say you must grow a beard.

growing a beard is classified as wajib, that is obligatory in islam so if you are able you should keep a beard.
How is that so when the Quran does not say we must grow a beard?
I am not knowledgable enough to say with absolute certainty if it is or is not mentioned in the Qur'an. However, I do know it is Sunnah and mentioned in Hadith. If a Hadith is not in violation of the Qur'an, it MUST be followed.

starfortress
02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
:sl:

@Woodrow
I do know it is Sunnah and mentioned in Hadith. If a Hadith is not in violation of the Qur'an, it MUST be followed.
I think that a Sunnah too.

@Dawud UK
the prophet muhammad pbuh commanded us to trim the mustashe and let the beard grow because the disbelievers do otherwise
It become trendy to having a beard at this day see the rockstar,an actors etc.:confused: the most important thing,i believe it must be sincere and honestly from the bottom of ours heart,not a trendy or pretending.

Strzelecki
02-03-2007, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The growing of the beard is one of the things we are commanded to do if possible. That is the only reason needed.
What is meant by "possible"?

Woodrow
02-03-2007, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
What is meant by "possible"?
I refer to geneticaly possible. Because of my ethnic heritage I basicaly do not have any facial hair and the closest I can get to a beard is a scraggly thin mustache, which fortunatly I am required to keep shaved off. But there is no beard to grow.

Woodrow
02-03-2007, 04:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
May I ask... Are you allowed to keep a short beard or do you just let it grow and never cut it?

To Michaelconvert-if you can't have long hair may I suggest you donate your hair? There is an organization called Locks of Love that takes donated hair and turns it into wigs for children with cancer. You have to have at least 10 inches to cut off and you just mail it to them. If you do decide to cut it and want to donate it let me know and I can give you the adress.
Peace,

You have brought up a very interesting point. I had not thought of wigs for children cancer patiants. I know wigs for adult women are considered cosmetic and are not allowed. Plus a woman is not permitted to show her hair to any male except her husband and Mahrams.

I can see it as being a good cause and even understandable for children. Does anyone know if under these circumstances it would be Halal?

View points anyone?

starfortress
02-03-2007, 06:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Letting the beard grow does not mean letting it grow wild or so long that it becomes a nuisance.One should certainly trim it in both length and breadth

Said 'Ayyad: "It is makruh to shave the beard or to drastically cut or shorten it, but it is mustahab (commendable) to remove something from its length and breadth if it grows big."-by al-Tirmidhi.

Abdul-Raouf
02-03-2007, 07:37 AM
For a man his beard(a complete - long beard) is like a burqa - veil (burqa is compulsory for women and not for men) covering his face... which prevents others (women) from seeing his face completely.... thus prevents the SHAITAAN's entry......

AabiruSabeel
02-03-2007, 09:11 AM

We believe that Allah is our Creator. A Creator knows much about better about His creations than the creations themselves.
Allah commands us in Qur'an to follow the teaching of our Prophet (PBUH).
Allah says that our Prophet (PBUH) is an ideal example for us.
So when the Prophet (PBUH) commanded us to keep a beard, we are following the command of Allah and trying to please our Creator. And that is best for us since only Allah knows what is best for us.

:w:

AabiruSabeel
02-03-2007, 11:49 AM
The Quran does not say you must grow a beard.
How is that so when the Quran does not say we must grow a beard?
We believe that Allah is our Creator. And the Creator know what is better for His creations than the creations themselves.
Allah commands us in the Qur'an to follow the Prophet (PBUH). He says that our Prophet is an excellent example for us.
So by following the Prophet's saying, we are obeying the command of Allah and that is better for us, since only He knows what is better for us.

Are you allowed to keep a short beard or do you just let it grow and never cut it?
What I know is that Abdullah Bin Umar (RA) used to trim his beard after Umrah or Hajj which used to be greater than his fist length, i.e. he used to hold his beard in his hand, and the portion that was greater than the fist length, he used to level it. Therefore, we are not allowed to cut it below fist length.
I'm aiming for about belly-button legnth
For men, its better to keep head hair above the shoulders...

Allah Ta'ala knows best

Idris
02-03-2007, 01:21 PM
It's to much work having long hair.

Maidah
02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I was just wondering, there is a brother who has grown his beard before but has cut it now to get a job, is that a wrong thing?

anonymous
08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Question:
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.
Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”
Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=1189&ln=eng

جوري
08-18-2007, 02:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
I feel sick then I see someone with a mustache……. I mean how can he eat his food with all the hair in the way ahhhhh .
that is why they invinted the bear and Moustache shampoooo.. here is news you could have probably lived without :lol:
should classify this under things you never knew existed!

Yanal
08-18-2007, 11:59 PM
:sl: :sl:
Here's what i found hope it helps

Doubts about the obligation to let the beard grow and answers to them

Question:
A number of Muslim scholars have issued fatwas stating that letting the beard grow is obligatory for every Muslim, and that the reason for that is so that they will not resemble the kuffaar, as is narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in more than one hadeeth.
But everyone can see on television that many of the Jews let their beards grow, so doesn’t that contradict the reason for letting the beard grow, and may alter the ruling and make it Sunnah only?
Similarly, wasn’t the command to be different from the kuffaar by letting the beard grow due to the Muslims mixing with them at the time of the Islamic conquests, so the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) wanted to make us distinct from them. This no longer applies because Islam has prevailed over the Arab lands, praise be to Allaah. Does this also make it only Sunnah?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

We have quoted the evidence that it is haraam to shave the beard in the answer to question no. 1189.

Secondly:

With regard to the view that the reason for it being obligatory to let the beard grow was in order to be different from the mushrikeen, and that this reason no longer applies and so it is not obligatory to let the beard grow – the answer to this is as follows:

1- The view that the reason no longer applies is the view of one who ignores reality, because it may be said: who are the majority among the mushrikeen – those who shave their beards or those who let them grow? Undoubtedly the majority are those who shave their beards .

2- Moreover, being different from the mushrikeen is not the only reason, so we cannot say that the ruling no longer applies because the reason for it is no longer there, because there are other reasons, such as the fact that shaving the beard is an imitation of women, and changing the creation of Allaah, and that letting the beard grow is one of the sunnahs of the fitrah and is the way of the Messengers.

Even if we assume that “being different from the mushrikeen” no longer applies as a reason, the shar’i ruling remains in effect because of the other reasons.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about what some people say about the reason for letting the beard grow being to be different from the Magians and Christians as it says in the hadeeth, and that this is a reason that no longer applies nowadays, because they let their beards grow.

He replied:

We may answer this in several ways:

1- Letting the beard grow is not only for the sake of being different, rather it is also part of the fitrah as is proven in Saheeh Muslim, as letting the beard grow is part of the fitrah with which Allaah has created mankind, so that they regard as beautiful that which is in accordance with it and regard as ugly that which goes against it.

2- The Jews, Christians and Magians nowadays do not all let their beards grow, and not even a quarter of them do that, rather the majority of them shave their beards as is quite obvious.

3- If a ruling is established in sharee’ah for a reason that no longer applies, and this ruling is in accordance with the fitrah or is one of the symbols of Islam, then it remains even if the reason no longer applies. Do you not see that raml (walking at a fast pace) in tawaaf was originally intended so that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his companions could demonstrate physical strength in front of the mushrikeen who said: There have come to you people who have been weakened by the fever of Yathrib. This reason no longer applies, but the ruling remains in effect, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did raml in the Farewell Pilgrimage.

To conclude: What is required of the believer, if Allaah and His Messenger have enjoined something, is to say: We hear and obey, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allaah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), to judge between them, is that they say: ‘We hear and we obey.’ And such are the successful (who will live forever in Paradise)”

[al-Noor 24:51]

And they should not be like those who say: We hear and disobey, or who give false reasons and baseless excuses. This is the situation of one who does not submit truly to the command of Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”

[al-Ahzaab 33:36]

“But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you (O Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission”

[al-Nisa’ 4:65]

I do not know how the one who says such things will be able to face his Lord on the Day of Resurrection. We must hear and obey and heed the command of Allaah and His Messenger in all cases. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (11/129-130).

And he also said (may Allaah have mercy on him): Letting the beard grow is the way of the Messengers. Allaah says of Haroon that he said to his brother Moosa (interpretation of the meaning):

“O son of my mother! Seize (me) not by my beard, nor by my head! Verily, I feared lest you should say: ‘You have caused a division among the Children of Israel, and you have not respected my word!’”

[Ta-Ha 20:94]

The last and best of the Messengers, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), let his beard grow, as did the caliphs who came after him, and his companions and the leaders and common folk of the Muslims in all but the most recent period, when many of them have gone against the way of their Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and their righteous predecessors (may Allaah be pleased with them). But this is the way of the Prophets and Messengers and their followers, and it is part of the fitrah with which Allaah created people, as is proven in Saheeh Muslim. Hence the correct view is that it is haraam to shave it, as was the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), because of the command of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to let it grow.

As for saying that the reason for letting it grow is to be different from the Jews and that this no longer applies, this is not acceptable, because the reason is not only to be different from the Jews.

Rather what is proven in al-Saheehayn is: “Be different from the mushrikeen” and in Saheeh Muslim it also says: “Be different from the Magians.” Moreover, being different from these people is not the only reason, rather there is another, greater reason, namely following the guidance of the Messengers (peace and blessings be upon them) by keeping the beard.

And the obligation to follow the fitrah.

And not changing the creation of Allaah in ways that Allaah has not permitted.

All of these are reasons why it is obligatory to keep the beard and let it grow, as well as being different from the enemies of Allaah, such as the mushrikeen, Magians and Jews.

Moreover, the claim that the reason for letting the beard grow no longer applies is not true, because most of the enemies of Allaah today among the Jews and others shave their beards, as is well known to anyone who has any knowledge of other nations and their actions. Even if we assume that most of them today let their beards grow, this does not alter the fact that it is prescribed in Islam to let the beard grow, because the fact that the enemies of Islam imitate something that is prescribed for the Muslims does not mean that it is no longer prescribed. Rather we should adhere more closely to it because they are imitating us and following us, and they are regarding it as something good and returning to the fitrah. End quote.

Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (16/46-47).

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Yanal
08-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Peace,

You have brought up a very interesting point. I had not thought of wigs for children cancer patiants. I know wigs for adult women are considered cosmetic and are not allowed. Plus a woman is not permitted to show her hair to any male except her husband and Mahrams.

I can see it as being a good cause and even understandable for children. Does anyone know if under these circumstances it would be Halal?

View points anyone?
well what i found Br woodrow it says if you grow a beard and cut it totally it is haram but if you cut it short i don't think it is haraam or a sin well Allah knows the best

Strzelecki
08-19-2007, 06:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia

;D !

lilah
08-19-2007, 06:28 AM
my best suggestion to you is to ask the imams/scholars that attend your mosque if you have a question like this. i do know that there are many righteous Muslims that do not have a beard for one reason or another and there are Muslims that have gone astray that have grown a beard.

However, Islam is more than just a set of strict rules. If you are a convert, i suggest you take classes/workshops (if they are available) at your local masjid to learn the basics of islam. Establish your relationship with Allah (swt) through prayer. If in time you decide to grow a beard, remember to do it for the sake of Allah (swt) in the intent of earning his pleasure....not because every Muslim male in the masjid has one...

poga
08-19-2007, 10:25 AM
please tell let me know if there is hadith regarding men having beard in the heaven

Ghira
08-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Welcome to Islam brother. Allah (swt) guides whom He wills. My suggestion is to not follow the people in masjid as they might be wrong and going astray. Don't shave your beard and let it go because it is sunnah of the Prophet (saw). Seek the reward of Allah by following the Prophet (saw). You may take a lot of pressure to shave it off but always remember why you are doing it and try to please your Creator over the creation. Although this is important issue and related to not imitating the disbelievers, I think the more important issues that you may have needs to be taken care of. I think you should focus on understanding etiquettes of masjid...Saying the dua before you enter, praying 2 nafl salaam masjid, learning what you are saying in prayer, having a complete understanding of the Islamic creed. I hope we can help you do that and may Allah (swt) continue to guide you..ameen.

جوري
08-20-2007, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
;D !
I found the whole collection line

who knew men could be so vain? (for blondes, brunettes, red heads and those distinguished manly men with a hint of gray)-- sigh.. what is this world coming to? :confused:

Woodrow
08-20-2007, 04:50 AM
I found the whole collection line

who knew men could be so vain? (for blondes, brunettes, red heads and those distinguished manly men with a hint of gray)-- sigh.. what is this world coming to? :confused:
Where is the clear bottle for Bald Face?

جوري
08-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Where is the clear bottle for Bald Face?
ROFL ;D.. that is probably coming up next in line?.. I don't think they would make much profit out of that one though? :lol:

michaelconvert
08-20-2007, 08:55 PM
wow i posted this forever ago

and i have a beard now........

so yay

- Qatada -
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
wow i posted this forever ago

and i have a beard now........

so yay

Asalaamu alaikum (peace be upon you bro)

that's kool masha Allaah! :D beards are kool.. alhamdulillah. I remember this poem i read a long while back which encouraged me to grow it;

format_quote Originally Posted by unknown_JJ
THE BEAUTY OF THE BEARD
by Br Tushar Imdad-ul-Haque Bhuiya

Context of poem
I came to eat dinner in my halls of residence one day last year when two sisters started laughing at me; I had some food stuck in my beard. They went on to innocently and honestly mock my beard saying it was messy, unnatural and unhygienic. Little did they know the rage that I felt as a result of this and I channeled this rage by unleashing my anger through my pen and out came this poem.

I performed this poem in the Leicester University/DMU Islamic Societies and Eid Celebration and it was received with much laughter and acclaim - Alhamdulillah. Due to popular demand and many requests I have decided to type my poem up and email it to my friends in Islam. Let me remind you all not to be offended as this is no fatwa or religious statement - just a funny poem that spontaneously was produced as a result of my unfortunate experience...

"Glorified be He who beautifies women with long locks of hair
And Men with long beards
There is beauty in the beard
Aye, there is beauty in the beard!

When the lion roars all the animals submit
For the lion is the king of the jungle
The lion with its glorious mane
And a Muslim man grows his mane in pride
Showing the rest of humanity that he is to be respected
Can one imagine a lion without its mane?
Nay, thou canst not!
Then imagine a man without his beard

Woe to worldly women who mock the beards so!
Desiring husbands with clean shaven faces
Woe to women who mock the Prophets Sunnah
In the name of hygiene, neatness and smooth texture
Indeed the women of this world cannot like the beard
But she who wants Paradise adores the beard!

A beard is a gift given to man
Something only he can grow; a woman never can!
When he ponders, he gently strokes it;
When he eats, it stores food;
When he is with kids, they play with it adoringly;
When he is with his wife, she fondles it lovingly;
When the enemy see it, fear is struck in their hearts!
Ah! there is indeed beauty in the beard!

All the Prophets had beards - yes they did!
Muhammad had a beard - so big! so big!
All the companions had beards - o yes! o yes!
All the sages had beards - I know! I know!
All the wise have beards - tis true! tis true!
All the pious have beards - you see! you see!
All the Muslims have beards!? - if only! if only!

Who did not have beards? The kafirun!
Who had clean shaven faces? The kafirun!
Who grew their moustaches? The kafirun!
"And what did our Prophet order?" I here you ask
He ordered us to lengthen the beard and trim the moustache!
Lengthen the beard and trim the moustache!
What greater reason that this can there be
The fact that our Prophet told us to see
That we make ourselves appear to the world
As full bearded men with honour untold

O Muslim brother! Why do you desire to look like a woman
When your blessed facial hair is the differece between you and the opposite gender?
O poor Muslim brother! Why do you imitate the kafir
Instead of following the Prophet of Islam?
O silly Muslim sister! Why are you so blind?
Infatuated with Bollywood actors who have no mind!
O wretched sister! Are you not scared of your choice?
You would rather have a feminine monkey instead of an exalted manly ape!

So indeed I love my beard
And adore the curls and tangles
Which no oil, gel or superglue can ever straighten
My glorious long, curly, messy, fluffy beard!
The playhouse for kids;
The envy of Malaysian people
And the beloved of Allah!

I maybe rejected by worldly women because of this hair on my face
But who care! For my Mum loves it and she puts all such sisters to disgrace!
Be patient Muslim brothers, who shun the trendy look for a Prophetic pose
Paradise with the wide eyed Houris is our final abode!!!!!"

poga
08-21-2007, 12:41 PM
are men of jannah will grow beard
i ask this because hair nails are cellular manure in jannah there could be no impurity
can some one help me please ps i do have beard

Woodrow
08-21-2007, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by poga
i ask this because hair nails are cellular manure in jannah there could be no impurity
Quite an interesting observation. I know that some people do consider a beard as being "nasty" for that reason. However, following the same logic we can see our bones in the same views. Our bones do consist of many old dead cells that have become the bone matrix. So if old dead hair is cellular manure so are our bones. I doubt if any body would suggest we remove our bones.

Now as far as our bodies in Jannah, I do not have the faintest idea as to what the bodies of people in Jannah will be composed of. What I do here it does not seem like they will be composed of the same material as earthly bodies. Although thoughts of Jannah are interesting, it is our thoughts and actions in this world that will determine if that even becomes an option to be concerned about.

We need to be concerned of what we do today, that will determine what we gain or lose tomorrow.

ansar.tajudeen
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
asalamualaikum brother
alhamdulilah welcome to islam:welcome:

for me beard has grown only in my chin that to was growing very lightly..
so if i want to have full beard then did i shave frequently to get growth of my beard:? :rollseyes

rozeena
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
i heard the beard cn nt be too long it has to be about as long as onesfist? im nt sure if dats true, bt mks sence as its nt too long so u cn look afta it n mk sure its clean etc.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-21-2007, 03:03 PM
beards hav dedicated shampoos loool??

or is taht a joke :X

why cant we just use our head and shoulders on our beards :ooh: ?

- Qatada -
08-21-2007, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by poga

Recorded in Al-Tirmidhi (2468) from Mu’aadh ibn Jabal that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people of Paradise will enter Paradise with no hair on their bodies and beardless, with kohl-rimmed eyes, thirty or thirty-three years old.” This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=85022&ln=eng&txt=

Woodrow
08-21-2007, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

Recorded in Al-Tirmidhi (2468) from Mu’aadh ibn Jabal that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The people of Paradise will enter Paradise with no hair on their bodies and beardless, with kohl-rimmed eyes, thirty or thirty-three years old.” This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Interesting considering that it is only in recent times that it has become understood that Hair is dead cells and in that sense would be an unclean waste product, not fit to enter Jannah.

جوري
08-21-2007, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
beards hav dedicated shampoos loool??

or is taht a joke :X

why cant we just use our head and shoulders on our beards :ooh: ?
oh it is for real :lol: according to the guy on the website, you should never use regular shampoo for your beard.. don't ask me why.. as I have no clue-- that guy the second on the left looks like an abolitionist ;D it was really fascinating to look at the entire line of beard shampoos and conditioners ;D

thc
08-21-2007, 08:34 PM
asalamu alaikum,

some scholars say that beard is wajib whereas others say it is only sunnah.

it depends which opinion you follow?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-21-2007, 09:25 PM
it was really fascinating to look at the entire line of beard shampoos and conditioners ;D

you make it sound like you have one :uuh:

but for me it was extremely fascinating :D :D

جوري
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
:lol: no not yet.. I suppose at a certain age men end up with gynecomastia and women with beards?.. I am a long way off but we won't rule it out completely one word about aging everything goes in the opposite direction or down hill... I am however very high maintenance, I imagine if I were a guy I'd probably have a set of tiny rollers for my beard and some beard shampoo & conditioner for smoothness and shine maybe a tiny blow dryer for those days I am in a hurry and can't wait for it to dry naturally... ;D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
^ whoah! i wonder if any men do that :ooh:

جوري
08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ whoah! i wonder if any men do that :ooh:
lol.. God I hope not?.:mmokay: ..

Talha777
08-21-2007, 10:56 PM
We should follow the example of Rasoolullah (alaihi salatu wa salaam) and grow the hair on our head long so that it covers the ears and hangs close to the shoulder, and we should grow our beard long, at least one fist length. We are not allowed to completely shave the mustache, but we have to trim it so it doesn't look like a sikh mustache if you know what I mean.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-21-2007, 11:09 PM
^ bro im sure many people would love to but some people have really thick hair so its not possible :X

Haidar_Abbas
08-22-2007, 05:34 PM
:sl: :D WELCOME BROTHER MICHAEL!!! inshaAllah akhee just refrain from shaving your face and itll be grown in little time inshaAllah and as was said get the basics down and before you know it youll have a beard like you never seen before inshaAllah our beard is like a hijab for the man along with loose fitting modest clothes alhamdulillah :sl:

Yanal
08-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Speaking of beards Br.Woodrow why don't you have one i read your post saying you have to shave it out it is haram shaving the beard

piXie
08-23-2007, 02:15 PM

Woodrow
08-23-2007, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Speaking of beards Br.Woodrow why don't you have one i read your post saying you have to shave it out it is haram shaving the beard
you misread. I do not shave it off. I simply can not grow one.

The closest I ever had as a beard was a very light 5 o'clock shadow that used to fall out any time it got to be more than a quarter inch long and than never grow back. It is a genetic thing. I am part oriental and it seems that many of us mixed breeds have that same problem Facial hair is non-existent.

I have never had to shave, except when I was in the USAF in basic training and then we had to shave twice daily, even if we did not need to. I went through the motions but never bothered putting a blade in my razor, nobody could tell the difference.

Take that back, a few times I did manage to grow a very light beard. But, it shed on it's own. For a few months I sort of looked like a calico cat with a falling hair problem.

I do occasionly get a few wild scraggly hairs on my face, but they always fall out before long.

Re.TiReD
08-24-2007, 03:14 PM
:salamext: There is a hadeeth in which Muslim males have been advised to gorw the beards profusely and trim the moustaches, contrary to the non believers. Hope that helps although I regret I do not have a reference for the aformentioned Hadeeth. I shall provide it soon Allah willing.

Michael
08-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Are Muslim men allowed to have a trimmed mustache, or does the entire upper lip have to be shaved?

Nawal89
08-30-2007, 03:24 PM
^From what the hadeeth says u only have to trim :)

Idris
08-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Sometimes then am in the mosque I look around at other brothers with big beards and start to get sadden seeing as I only have 3 or 4 hairs on my chin, for a moment I reflect on how I would look like if I super gluing some fake hair on my chin but that is haram.

So your not alone Woodrow.

poga
08-30-2007, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

ALLAH HU AKBAR

LA ILLA HA ILLEL LA MUHAMMAD UR RASUL ALLAH

Dear brother QATADAH you have given me greatest gift by giving this HADIS in this thread i knew my culculation tells me there should be no beard and now you have given us this HADIS of our prophet MUHAMMAD SALLEL LA HU ALAHI WA SALLIM may ALLAH give all eight JANNAH:w:

Skywalker
08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Salaam u 3aleikum Mike :)

Some people brought up good points about lots of non-Muslims having beards, which could mean that the hadith mentioning not imitating the disbelievers is invalid in this case. I can't tell u if that's true or not because I'm no scholar, but there are people like the Amish (Christian fundamentalists) that wear their beards EXACTLY like Muslims, shaving their mustaches as well.

However, the reason that's always made the most sense to me for growing a beard is that you feel more like a Muslim. For example, if you have a beard, can you imagine going into a bar and asking for a drink? Or stopping a woman on the street and asking for her number? Or even just looking at a pretty girl passing by? It kinda depends on the culture and the place you live, but I know that here in Egypt, men with beards would look really bad if they were doing anything Islamically unlawful. So it kinda keeps you in check.

It's a state of mind, more or less. If you feel like you're at the state that you would be comfortable with it, go for it. If not, then just make the intention to do it eventually and take it at your own pace.

Welcome to Islam! :D

bluemoon
09-05-2007, 05:32 AM

but more importantly work on the bigger matters first, like learning prayers and making sure you are making them on time.

a lot of people follow a cultural version of islam, so dont understand the importance of these rules that make us strand out from the non muslims, others know what they should do but dont because they are lazy or sinful.

but as a new muslim concentrate on learning your prayers and fundemental beliefs first and if you can yes keep a beard.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
You are right brother ... i am agree with you ... first we should learn about the basics of Islam and fullfill them ... if you wana beard then you should be able to take a good care of beard and your daily actions

syilla
09-05-2007, 05:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by bluemoon
You are right brother ... i am agree with you ... first we should learn about the basics of Islam and fullfill them ... if you wana beard then you should be able to take a good care of beard and your daily actions

actually this is an old thread...akhee michael already have a beard. :D

bluemoon
09-05-2007, 05:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
actually this is an old thread...akhee michael already have a beard. :D
i Know its old thread ... its good news that he had beard .... but i wana say that if u wana beard then ur acts must b good so that the respect of beard not effect. okz understand ... and thanx for informing me

kay106
09-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Salam,

Here u can find good answers:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beard+islam

Any way what made you turn to islam, just curios.

Kay

skhalid
09-05-2007, 09:27 AM
"Possible" could mean that its one of those things in which you have a choice in doing. Growing a beared is not compulsory, you don't have to if you don't want to. It is somewhat similar to marrying up to 4 wifes....it is referred to be 'sunna'... this means that you will be rewarded if you choose to do such things. Although if I go one about marrying more than one wife that has its rules which are more complicated then growing a beard. good luck :)

amille40
09-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Ive read through this thread and had an interesting thought. What about someone like myself, who had a small beard before conversion (well a goatee really)....should I keep that and continue to grow a beard, or shave it off and grow a new beard as a muslim?

Md Mashud
09-10-2007, 07:55 PM
I would think us growing beard was a sign of manhood? - To shave it is womanly? Men should strive from being womanly, even when it comes to material of clothing that can be worn by men :O! Thus maybe thats why its haram that certain clothing cannot be worn by men, hence wajib to keep a beard? Its the only logics I can come up with.

As for distinguishing from disbelievers, what disbelievers exactly? Back in the day, it was common to keep a beard, being believer or not, it is only as we come closer to the modern centuries where its a really highly practiced thing. If you see on the course of time, men GENERALLY did not do so.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
^ u wudda smaked it if you added that the first people to shave where gays according to islamic beliefs :p (the people of Lut Alaihissalaam)

Re.TiReD
09-27-2007, 02:30 PM

A little late maybe...but I'd like to share two hadeeth Bi'idnillah

Go contrary to the polytheists. Grow beards profusely and trim moustaches. (Bukhari and Muslim)

He who does not trim his moustaches is not one of us. (Mishkat)

Abdul-Raouf
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs

A little late maybe...but I'd like to share two hadeeth Bi'idnillah

Go contrary to the polytheists. Grow beards profusely and trim moustaches. (Bukhari and Muslim)

He who does not trim his moustaches is not one of us. (Mishkat)

Jazakallah khair brother.......

islamirama
09-27-2007, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
"Possible" could mean that its one of those things in which you have a choice in doing. Growing a beared is not compulsory, you don't have to if you don't want to. It is somewhat similar to marrying up to 4 wifes....it is referred to be 'sunna'... this means that you will be rewarded if you choose to do such things. Although if I go one about marrying more than one wife that has its rules which are more complicated then growing a beard. good luck :)
Can you provide proof its optional?

Sunnah/Hadith:

Hadith - Bukhari 7:781, Narrated Ibn 'Umar

Allah's Apostle

said, "Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."

Hadith - Muslim, Narrated AbuHurayrah

The Messenger of Allah

said: Trim closely the moustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers.

Hadith - Bukhari 9:651, Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri
The Prophet

said, "There will emerge from the East some people who will recite the Qur'an but it will not exceed their throats and who will go out of (renounce) the religion (Islam) as an arrow passes through the game, and they will never come back to it unless the arrow, comes back to the middle of the bow (by itself) (i.e., impossible)." The people asked, "What will their signs be?" He said, "Their sign will be the habit of shaving (of their beards)." (Fateh Al-Bari, Page 322, Vol. 17th)

Hadith - Muwatta 51.7
Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam that Ata ibn Yasar told him that the Messenger of Allah

was in the mosque when a man came in with dishevelled hair and beard. The Messenger of Allah

motioned with his hand that he should be sent out to groom his hair and beard. The man did so and then returned. The Messenger of Allah

said, "Isn't this better than that one of you should come with his head dishevelled, as if he were a shaytan?"

Quran:

3:132
And obey Allah and the Messenger; that ye may obtain mercy.

4:42
On that day those who reject Faith and disobey the messenger will wish that the earth were made one with them: But never will they hide a single fact from Allah.

4:64
We sent not a messenger, but to be obeyed, in accordance with the leave of Allah. If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful.

4:80
He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah. But if any turn away, We have not sent thee to watch over them.

24:56
So establish regular prayer and give Zakaat; and obey the Messenger. that ye may receive mercy.

*33:36*
It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path.

59:7
...So take what the Messenger gives you, and refrain from what he prohibits you. And fear Allah: for Allah is strict in Punishment.

format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
I would think us growing beard was a sign of manhood? - To shave it is womanly? Men should strive from being womanly, even when it comes to material of clothing that can be worn by men :O! Thus maybe thats why its haram that certain clothing cannot be worn by men, hence wajib to keep a beard? Its the only logics I can come up with.

As for distinguishing from disbelievers, what disbelievers exactly? Back in the day, it was common to keep a beard, being believer or not, it is only as we come closer to the modern centuries where its a really highly practiced thing. If you see on the course of time, men GENERALLY did not do so.
All men used to have beard before the People of Lut a.s. came along. The very first people to shave their beards were the people of Lut a.s. They were gay, so they shaved their beards to look like women.

One time a group of men came to the Prophet (saws) and they had their beards shaved and grown mustache, prophet s.a.w. turn away in disgust (of their sight), they looked like clowns. He s.a.w.s commanded us to grow the beard and trim the mustache. Sadly much of the muslim world does the opposite, way to follow the sunnah!

Many people have beards today, our command is to trim the mustache so we stand out as different and not as one of the mushikeen.

Woodrow
09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Sorry about the missing posts, but it is not wise for us to makes a statement of Tasfir unless we are recognised scholars and can show authentic proof. It is also not wise to reply to such posts.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.