/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yemen

Pages : [1] 2

anonymous
02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
:sl:

inshallah once my university degree is over, i intend to study deen in Yemen. so far i've found this place, that looks excellent http://www.m-almedina.com/English_Index.html for me as a starting place, to learn Arabic and basics of Islam. i was hoping to study in dammaj after this, especially as the place i linked to above has links with dammaj, but i've heard from many sources, that foreigners aren't allowed into dammaj (because of government pressure).

so where else in Yemen could i study? whats emaan university like, and also Jamia al-Iman? also just out of interest, could anyone tell me what dammaj is like from what they have heard/read? like how the lessons are conducted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
02-02-2007, 09:12 PM
What is Dammaj and why people are not allowed into Dammajh?

Nawal89
02-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I studied in dammaj, And yes theres lots of pressure on the foreighners but alot of them end up there. Acutally its loaded with foreighners now. In my opinion dammaj is the best place to study. You get to study directly under the shiekh and all. Almadinah i heard its only for arabic studies? My friend is supposed to be going there really soon, so i'll aks her. I dont know much about the other study marakiz in yemen, maybe sis amirah_87 will have more information on that.

anonymous
02-03-2007, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
I studied in dammaj, And yes theres lots of pressure on the foreighners but alot of them end up there. Acutally its loaded with foreighners now. In my opinion dammaj is the best place to study. You get to study directly under the shiekh and all. Almadinah i heard its only for arabic studies? My friend is supposed to be going there really soon, so i'll aks her. I dont know much about the other study marakiz in yemen, maybe sis amirah_87 will have more information on that.
jazakallah for your help, may Allah reward you

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Vishnu
02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous

inshallah once my university degree is over, i intend to study deen in Yemen. so far i've found this place, that looks excellent http://www.m-almedina.com/English_Index.html for me as a starting place, to learn Arabic and basics of Islam. i was hoping to study in dammaj after this, especially as the place i linked to above has links with dammaj, but i've heard from many sources, that foreigners aren't allowed into dammaj (because of government pressure).

so where else in Yemen could i study? whats emaan university like, and also Jamia al-Iman? also just out of interest, could anyone tell me what dammaj is like from what they have heard/read? like how the lessons are conducted
Why does it have to be Yemen? Are they known as a good place for schools?

anonymous
02-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Anonumous 2!

Salaam :) ,
My parents r origninally 4rm yemen..
Yes Yemen is da best place masha'allah

anonymous
02-05-2007, 08:42 PM
*bump*

Can anyone else help?

Pk_#2
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Never been to Yemen, so far from what my teachers have told me about Yemen, i really want to study there!

Your real lucky if you get to go,

All the best! InshaAllah.. :)

Peace!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
my friends took it as a joke when i said i want to study in dammaj one day, to this day i dont know jus WAT WAS SO FUNNY :heated:

seeker_of_ilm
02-05-2007, 09:18 PM

Dammaj sounds soooo awesome! I've read bits about it on the internet, and I've heard a few lectures, by a current student there, where he answers questions....and it sooo sounds like the place for me insha'Allah.

:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
02-05-2007, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Dammaj sounds soooo awesome! I've read bits about it on the internet, and I've heard a few lectures, by a current student there, where he answers questions....and it sooo sounds like the place for me insha'Allah.

my friends keep telling me that you have to declare that your a salafi, and im like didnt sheikh albani advise us not to call ourselves that?? its weird..

:salamext:

Mawaddah
02-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Q: Where is The best place to study Islam without any restrictions whatsoever?

A: DAMMAJ

Wallahi, the 5 years that I spent there are the most precious in my memory and Insha'allah will always be.
Classes there are abundant! Knowledge is just overflowing there wallahi, the teachers there are just amazing in the vastness of their knowledge, the students amount to the thousands! And whats more, it's free
That's right, all the classes there are held Fi Sabilillah

Language, Literature,Aqidah,Fiqh,Ilmul Hadeeth, Qur'an, everything.

The Sheikh yahya holds 3 classes a day which are obligatory to be attended by everyone living on the Premises, and they are just beautiful.

And then on the side you can find people to teach you any other subject that you wish insha'allah.

Of course, it's all about self motivation whilst you're there because no one is forcing you to do anytyhing, you can study for as long as you want, as much as you want, but it's all up to you.
Some poeple stay there for 10 years and know nothing, some people leave there after 5 years and they are full of knowledge.

Yes Go!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-05-2007, 10:13 PM
do you think its best to learn arabic before going there or to learn it whilst there?

Mawaddah
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
do you think its best to learn arabic before going there or to learn it whilst there?

It depends really. If you have a basis in arabic you might as well go there one time and find someone in Dammaj to teach you because you'll pick up pretty fast anyway being amongst the Yemenis

I have a friend who went to that Madinah institute thingy and she still couldn't speak Arabic when she came back LOL besides the basics that is.

amirah_87 and umm_sulaim went to Dammaj and they didn't know a thing in Arabic but in a years time they were zooming along! It's because they had a great Arabic teacher Masha'allah, you know that brother who teaches Arabic on Paltalk? Abdulhakim? yes his wife was their teacher, Masha'allah awesome couple.

But of course, learning Arabic first would help a good deal, and then when you get to Dammaj you can just go straight to the juicy stuff, the Deep stuff you know

Skillganon
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Some poeple stay there for 10 years and know nothing, some people leave there after 5 years and they are full of knowledge.

Yes Go!!!
Some people stay their for 10 years and know nothing? lol. I can't fathom why would someone come away without learning something.

Mawaddah
02-06-2007, 02:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Some people stay their for 10 years and know nothing? lol. I can't fathom why would someone come away without learning something.
Oh Trust me. There's loads of them. And when I say nothing I mean nothing worth mentioning. At least they can speak Arabic though.

Skillganon
02-06-2007, 02:54 AM
Oh Trust me. There's loads of them. And when I say nothing I mean nothing worth mentioning. At least they can speak Arabic though.
Can you speak?

If yes. Please look into the arabic section once in a while.(for help in arabic) :smile:

syilla
02-06-2007, 04:23 AM
how long do you have to study arabic in dammaj?

one month is it enough? :hiding:

Dhulqarnaeen
02-06-2007, 05:53 AM
my friends keep telling me that you have to declare that your a salafi, and im like didnt sheikh albani advise us not to call ourselves that?? its weird..

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah,
If you say "declare", I think its not like that we have to declare. But syaikh Albani explained that we should nisbat/address our self as a salafiyun (followers of salafus shalih). Cause these days eeeeeeeeeevery deviate sects in Islam admit and claim them self as muslim, and also thgey claim that theyre on Quran and sunnah. But the mistake is they interprate/understand Quran and sunnah with their own self understanding, and they take Quran and sunnah as they wish along with their intention. SO syaikh Albani explained its not enough to call our self a muslim that follow quran and sunnah "only", cause if its like taht, then whats the difference between us and those sects? So ulama mutaqaddimin and mutakhireen explained that theres one method that we mostly forgot, the third method is we understand quran and sunnah with the explanation of salafus shalih, and everyone who follow this kinda understanding called "salafy". Thats the simple explanation insha Allah.

Dhulqarnaeen
02-06-2007, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vishnu
Why does it have to be Yemen? Are they known as a good place for schools?
Actually, if we call it the best place to study Islam, then Im sure theres another place to study Islam which is better, Allahu A'lam. If only theres someone who ever go to Saudi, Pakistan, Yordania, and then eeeverywhere which have Islamic study, then we can have an objectife answer from them which place is the best :sunny: If sis Nawal and Mawaddah said Dammaj is the best, its because maybe its the only place they study Islam :eek: If I ask someone who ever study in Sudan, maybe they will say the best place is in Sudan :D. Allahu a'lam.
BUT...I agree that study Islam in Dammaj is one of the best :thumbs_up :peace: . And beside Dammaj you can also study in syaikh Abul Hasan's camp, where? I forget :rolleyes: But also in Yemen. Maybe our sisters here can help. Insha Allah.
AND when I was in hajj, I saw lot of students study Islam in masjidil haram with some teachers. Im wondering is it also free? Cause the students were not children, but grown up men.
And muslims can also study in Medinah Al Munawarah with the mashaeikh there in their majlis. Like syeikh Abdulmuhsin al Abbad with his son syaikh Abdurrozaq Al Abbad, they usually give lesson in Nabawi. Alhamdulillah I had time to attended it while in hajj. And also syaikh Abu Bakr Jabir al Jazairi, also in Medinah. I heard they have lesson everyday after maghrib, Allahu A'lam. And also syaikh Ramadhan Al Jazairy, syaikh Anis Al Andunisy, syaikh Rabi' Al Madkhali, etc. Medinah is a town of tholibul ilm. Masha Allah.
And in Saudi, you can also study with the ulama there, such as syaikh Fawzan al Fawzan in Qoshim district, and syaikh Abdurrahman al Ajlan in Mekah, etc.
In Yordania, you can study with sheikh Ali bin Hasan Al Halaby, syaikh Salim bin Ied Al Hilaly, Syaikh Masyhur Hasan Salman, Syaikh Musa Alu Nashr in their camp "markaz Albani".
So many places to study Islam. But if I can choose, I wanna be student in Medinah university :D We just have to study, we dont have to think another bussiness exceot it. We also have money from the government till 1000 riyal/month, and we will have a place to life, and if you married you will have a flat to life, and if you are clever and can get Doctor and be ulama there, you can ave 10000 riyal/month or more:D Masha Allah, (yaa Allah bless the government of Saudi that have taken care of ulama there and jamaah haji, ameen) And everyday they have busses to take the students to Nabawi, where they can have 50000 times of ajr than usual prayer in another masjid. And if you die there, you will be buried in Baqi' where is the best graveyard in the earth. Its said the first graveyard that will be raisen in yaumul qiyamah is baqi' And Rasulullah have prayed to Allah so Allah forgive the people in Baqi'. Now tell me, where is the best place to study now? :eek::D
I will send my children to Medinah insha Allah. but someone my age cant go to Medinah university to study, cause Medinah university have age limit. And Im 28 already :cry: . I would love to go to Dammaj too oneday insha Allah. :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :) Allahu a'lam bisshawab.

Dhulqarnaeen
02-06-2007, 06:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
how long do you have to study arabic in dammaj?

one month is it enough? :hiding:
1 month is enough I think hanye untuk beli sayur di pasar (if you just wanna buy vegetables) imsad.
They will yale "marhabah...marhabah...marhabah" :D

amirah_87
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
As salaamu alaykum,

MashaAllah Daarul Hadeeth In Dammaaj is by far one of the best Maraakiz in the world (in my opinion) , The Ni'mah and Barakah their is Just Indescribable SubhanAllah..

amirah_87 and umm_sulaim went to Dammaj and they didn't know a thing in Arabic but in a years time they were zooming along! It's because they had a great Arabic teacher Masha'allah, you know that brother who teaches Arabic on Paltalk? Abdulhakim? yes his wife was their teacher, Masha'allah awesome couple.
Na'am Alhamdulillaah we had a Great Teacher Allah Yahfadhaa, We picked up the language in six months and from then on we were capable of joining the arabic taught classes in fiqh, aqeedah and etc..
It depends on how hard you strive, as Mawaddah said some brothers and sisters take longer than others to learn and pick it up.

But of course, learning Arabic first would help a good deal, and then when you get to Dammaj you can just go straight to the juicy stuff, the Deep stuff you know
Sometimes I wished I'd done that, so I could dive into the other classes straight away... Wa Laakin Qadar Allah.

Also,You need'nt worry about whether the life there is rough, it might be to some of you but it's changed a great deal over the past couple of years.. It's a small price to pay for seeking knowledge I say, and like Abdillaah ibnul Mubaarak said: Laa yustadaa' Al-Ilm Bi-raahatil jasad..

It reminds me of that Hadeeth, there'll come a time when some of you will take to the mountains in order to preserve your deen.. :)

Ps: Mawaddah, Abu Raihana teaches on Paltalk? MashaAllah!! .. Haatil Mawqi3 wa-ismul qurfah min fidhalik!

IbnAbdulHakim
02-06-2007, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
Assalamualaikum warahmatullah,
If you say "declare", I think its not like that we have to declare. But syaikh Albani explained that we should nisbat/address our self as a salafiyun (followers of salafus shalih). Cause these days eeeeeeeeeevery deviate sects in Islam admit and claim them self as muslim, and also thgey claim that theyre on Quran and sunnah. But the mistake is they interprate/understand Quran and sunnah with their own self understanding, and they take Quran and sunnah as they wish along with their intention. SO syaikh Albani explained its not enough to call our self a muslim that follow quran and sunnah "only", cause if its like taht, then whats the difference between us and those sects? So ulama mutaqaddimin and mutakhireen explained that theres one method that we mostly forgot, the third method is we understand quran and sunnah with the explanation of salafus shalih, and everyone who follow this kinda understanding called "salafy". Thats the simple explanation insha Allah.
jazakAllaah khair bro your brilliant :D :D

:salamext: :)

jihaadu nafs
02-06-2007, 10:27 AM
can sister go to yamen without a mahram if she is going there for the sake of obtaining beneficial knowledge?

Mawaddah
02-06-2007, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jihaadu nafs
can sister go to yamen without a mahram if she is going there for the sake of obtaining beneficial knowledge?
Well a woman is not allowed to travel without a mahram sis.

As for saying that Dammaj is the best place, I'm sure that some others will disagree and vouch instead for other places which they have studied at :D

My father studied for 3 years in the University of Madinah before having to leave because of emergency reasons. He says that he much prefers the method of learning in Dammaj compared to Madinah. It's because like I said before, there are no restrictions and schedules when studying in Dammaj. And you dont have to go along a certain schedule. A book which takes 3 years to study in University of Madinah can be completed in just 1 year in Dammaj. Sheikhs from all over come to Dammaj on a regular basis also, and there is always some function or Talk going on Masha'allah.

And plus, University of Madinah is only for men isn't it lol...so in Dammaj the women have the opportunity of meeting with Umm Abdillah Aishah bint Ash-Sheikh Muqbil hafidhahallah.....and she's just about most knowledgeable woman Masha'allah in Islam :D

The Government of Saudi has asked her many times to come to Saudi to teach there on a salary but she has always refused and preferred to stay in Dammaj and teach the sisters there...masha'allah.

Well, I'm satisfied if I can go anywhere where I can learn my Deen insha'allah :cry:

anonymous
02-06-2007, 06:47 PM

jazakallah khair for all the replies. so what do you think, i should first study in the markaz al medina institute, to learn arabic, or just head straight into dammaj, keeping in mind i know no arabic

also, just to clear it up, i read above that 3 classes held a day by the shaykh? but are these beginner/intermediate/advanced levels? what about if someone wants to learn other books too, how would i do that?

also, i know this might be a stupid question, but like, whats the situation in terms of getting married in dammaj, like how easy is it for someone to find, and get married to someone there. i only ask because i will not be married when i go, and i plan on staying there for a good few years if i do go.

oh, and does anyone know which other scholars i can go to after, i.e. the ones that teach free, like in masjid al haram and other places, like someone mentioned above.

Skillganon
02-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Ok how much does it cost their for 5 years?

Mawaddah
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM

jazakallah khair for all the replies. so what do you think, i should first study in the markaz al medina institute, to learn arabic, or just head straight into dammaj, keeping in mind i know no arabic
I think it's a good idea for you to do some studying in the Markaz first before heading into Dammaj. Because then you will get some basic Arabic and also get used to the ways of the Yemeni people insha'allah, Some people get huge culture shock you know :eek:
And it'll also be good because then you can meet brothers who go back and forth from Dammaj all of the time and they will tell you how you need to prepare for your stay in dammaj insha'allah. The......what do you call it.......Head Person :D of the Madinah Institute is Sheikh Yahyas stepson, so you can get info from him about Dammaj insha'allah.

also, just to clear it up, i read above that 3 classes held a day by the shaykh? but are these beginner/intermediate/advanced levels? what about if someone wants to learn other books too, how would i do that?
They are advanced classes which the Sheikh holds and every man has to attend. At the moment he is teaching Saheeh Muslim (almost finished) , Al-Umdah Li Ibn Qudaamah, And He is going to start Al-Mutaqa Li Ibn Jaaruud.

Basically what he does (And what Sheikh muqbil rahimahullah used to do) in the lesson is read out from the book and then speaks about it and the students take notes. It's pretty much like how you would do in a lecture hall. There are thousands of students attending at one time so it's impossible that he ask all of them so its more like if you pay attention, you'll benefit, if not, then you lose out.

These Three classes are held After Dhuhr, After Asr and After Maghrib. Besides those classes you're free to choose anything you want to learn. There are many brothers who hold classes so that wouldn't be a problem at all insha'allah.

also, i know this might be a stupid question, but like, whats the situation in terms of getting married in dammaj, like how easy is it for someone to find, and get married to someone there. i only ask because i will not be married when i go, and i plan on staying there for a good few years if i do go.
How easy is it?

:D

Just about as easy as any other place I would say. At first it was quite easy for the foreigner brothers to get married to the Yemeni girls, but now it is not popular anymore as the Yemeni girls seem to have gotten a bad image of them lol. But yes it's very easy to get married there, dont have to worry about that, just make sure that you find a good person insha'allah.

Mawaddah
02-06-2007, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Ok how much does it cost their for 5 years?
Living there is very cheap, There are some people there who live on an average of $50 a month. But that would be the very essential means of living only of course.

anonymous
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM

jazakallah khayr for the answers, i feel like every second i'm not at dammaj, its wasted, soon though if Allah wills

i'm very sorry to keep bugging you with questions, and if you don't want to answer, don't feel you have to, i won't mind :)

just a few more queries i have

how hard will it be, seeing as i'll be going alone, and i don't know anyone there? might i get lonely living alone, or is it like one big family there?

are there shops there? whats the food like? there are houses/furniture for sale there, or where would i stay?

i know of the aqeedah books that are studied there, what about books for seerah, usool al hadith, tafsir? (no need for depth here, just an example or two), and seeing as it is up to the individual whether they benefit from the classes or not, are there tests however, to give an idea of how we are progressing?

jazakallah khayr, forgive me for so many questions

syilla
02-07-2007, 02:56 AM
so the minimum is 6 months....

is there any intensive arabic course there? :hiding:

Dhulqarnaeen
02-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Well...Im agree to sis Mawaddah here, but Im sure theres plus and minus between study in Dammaj and Medinah masha Allah. But I think its very helping to study in Medinah first and then study in dammaj :D . More complete insha Allah.
And yes, that what I like about Dammaj, my ustadh named Abu Isa, he had mulazamah with syaikh Abul Hasan and he repeat kitab Al Aqidah Ath Thohawiyah with the sheikh. This is something that maybe the students in Medinah hardly do I think, Allahu A'lam.

Dhulqarnaeen
02-07-2007, 04:06 AM
jazakAllaah khair bro your brilliant :D :D

:salamext: :)
Masha Allah bro, Im not brilliant, our ulama salafs who are. We just read their book and explain this da'wah to our brothers and sisters. Insha Allah this is more precious then "fat red camel" :mad: <<<mad red camel :D

anonymous
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM

jazakallah for all the help, very useful, i should be applying to markaz al medina very soon inshallah.

make dua

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Where did you hear that?:? And you have to distinguish from the manhaj and the hizb.

Back on-topic. Dammaaj all the way! I plan to study there after my A-levels inshaAllah. I just have to find a mahrem to take me.

seeker_of_ilm
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Before I read through this thread, I hoped to go Dammaj (more wishful thinking) but the more I learn about the place, the more I'm seriously thinking about it insha'Allah. Just gotta get the $$$'s saved up lol.

Mawaddah
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
^ Where did you hear about Dammaj from brother?

Mawaddah
02-07-2007, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
so the minimum is 6 months....

is there any intensive arabic course there? :hiding:
Well you can find yourself a teacher who will teach you Arabic every day of the week and plus you will be in an Arabic speaking environment so you should be able to do it insha'allah.

What say we go together Kak syilla? :D

seeker_of_ilm
02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
^ Where did you hear about Dammaj from brother?

I originally heard about it on another forum, hijra.net, where people were talking about this good place to make Hijra to, for studying Islam. I then heard a few lectures about Dammaj by Abu Waleed (current student there), where he did Question and Answering. And now I learnt a bit more from this forum.

Also I think I saw some pictures of Dammaj on another thread here, not sure.

amirah_87
02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Wa Alaykum As Salaam,

I originally heard about it on another forum, hijra.net, where people were talking about this good place to make Hijra to, for studying Islam. I then heard a few lectures about Dammaj by Abu Waleed (current student there), where he did Question and Answering. And now I learnt a bit more from this forum.
MashaAllah, Abu Waleed Al-Amreeki Gave a lecture about Dammaaj? :eek:
Is it on the net!? If so can I have it, jus want to pass it down to a few people InshaAllah, wa jazaaks

Mawaddah
02-07-2007, 05:04 PM

jazakallah khayr for the answers, i feel like every second i'm not at dammaj, its wasted, soon though if Allah wills
Wa Iyyak brother, Insha'allah you will be able to go there soon!

i'm very sorry to keep bugging you with questions, and if you don't want to answer, don't feel you have to, i won't mind :)
It's no problem! I had asked sis amirah_87 to come and answer you since she has returned from there only a year ago so she would know things in more detail than me, but she's busy.

how hard will it be, seeing as i'll be going alone, and i don't know anyone there? might i get lonely living alone, or is it like one big family there?
Insha'allah it'll be no problem at all to find good brothers there whom you will be able to have good friendship with. There are loads of good brothers there and besides, once you get caught up with the circle of studying insha'allah there will be no time for feeling lonely! The Sheikh holds classes every single day of the year Eid included and insha'allah you'll be studying all the time with the other brothers. Dont worry.

Although before you go up there you will have to get in contact with some people to find out about building a home there or something or maybe rent a house....but You will have to reach Yemen first and speak with the People there about it insha'allah.

Whilst I was there all of the foreigners were always very welcome towards a new brother who came. Insha'allah you will be fine.

are there shops there? whats the food like? there are houses/furniture for sale there, or where would i stay?
They have shops there which sell groceries, but only the basic stuff. If you want anything 'western' like you will have to order it from San'a which is the capital. It's a 6 hours drive away from Dammaj but they have drivers going up and down all of the time so if you want anything which is not available in Dammaj you can send them a shopping list. That's the way they do it there :D

There are no restaurants or anything there. Nothing at all. No Parks, No Big shopping centers, No Department stores, nothing like that. The only thing there are the houses of the students (mostly built of mud) and some hardware stores and 1 clinic. If you need to go to the hospital you will have to take a 3/4 hour drive to the town Sa'dah.

There are no furniture stores there either because everyone buys their things from Sa'dah or San'a. Like I said above, you meet up with those 'drivers' who go to San'a or Sa'da on a regular basis and give them a list of things you want them to get for you. But things like furniture I would suggest you buy them on your own.

i know of the aqeedah books that are studied there, what about books for seerah, usool al hadith, tafsir? (no need for depth here, just an example or two), and seeing as it is up to the individual whether they benefit from the classes or not, are there tests however, to give an idea of how we are progressing?
Whilst I was there the Brothers were taking lessons in Tafsir ibn Katheer,Al-Usool min Ilm al-Usool, Zaad al-ma'aad .... books like that. Also for research you will be referred to books like Tuhfatul Ahwadhi, Fathul Baari, Madaarij as-Saalikeen,Subul as-Salaam,Nayl al-Awtaar....etc. I'll ask amirah_87 to list some other books insha'allah.
jazakallah khayr, forgive me for so many questions
Anytime brother :)

Mawaddah
02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
Wa Alaykum As Salaam,

MashaAllah, Abu Waleed Al-Amreeki Gave a lecture about Dammaaj? :eek:
Is it on the net!? If so can I have it, jus want to pass it down to a few people InshaAllah, wa jazaaks

He did like a question and answer thingy Princess I didn't listen to the whole thing :D

I was on this website that began with a C or something....hmm....I'll look it up for ya okay :smile:

EDIT: Here it is!! www.calgaryislam.net, Check out audio sections

amirah_87
02-07-2007, 05:06 PM

Mawaddah waynal As'ilah wa mal-lathee yureeduhuu ajeeb anhaa? :)

Mawaddah
02-07-2007, 05:08 PM

Mawaddah waynal As'ilah wa mal-lathee yureeduhuu ajeeb anhaa? :)
Huwalladhi Ajabtuhu al'aan , wa laakin zeedi insha'allah min fadhlik khaasatan 3alal al-kutub allati tudarras

Jazakillah khair

amirah_87
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Huwalladhi Ajabtuhu al'aan , wa laakin zeedi insha'allah min fadhlik khaasatan 3alal al-kutub allati tudarras

Jazakillah khair
as salaamu alaykum,

Ah!, Ahaa huw? Tayyib InshaAllah!

Thanks for the link to Abul Waleeds lecture.. and I'll get to dhaak al-aan!

amirah_87
02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
As Salaamu ALaykum,

Firstly I'm sorry that I could'nt answer to your questions early Anon .. 'afwan

It won't be that hard, there are Hundreds of foreigners there, I'm more than sure you'll make a handful of freinds.also the Yemenis are very greetings towards newcomers too MashaAllah.

And Try to Introduce yourself to Shiekh Yahya when you're there! :)

-Living alone?
You could either choose to live alone or share a house with brothers, that's up to you, but like you said you might be intending on gettin married whilst you're there so then it's best to buy or build a house InshaAllah.

-Marriage?
Mawaddah mentioned the whole issue bout Foreign brothers marryin Yemeni sisters, you could do that.. or There are a few foreign single sisters there who might be lookin for marriage too, it's what ever you're comfortable with InshaAllah.

are there shops there?
Yes there are shops there, It aint tesco or sansburys where there's a wide range of goods .. just the basic groceries.
there are book shops there too, Internet Cafes ..& Diners/ Mini restruants which are improving year by year..

whats the food like?
The food... it aint heaven and i'll tell you that now! I can't explain it.. the wide range of varieties we have here are very very limited.
you get the basic fruit & Veg .. the fruits are seasonal though like the watermelons would only come in the summer and the summer only so its months of watermelons before the next fruit is ripe .. which might be the grape and so on..
The traditional yemeni food that is sold in the restraunts are nice, well that's my opinion, most foreigners dont like it though! :)
but when you're in a tight spot there's no time for pickiness!!

there are houses/furniture for sale there
Houses it's you either buy or build (buy the land). And furniture, InshaAllah by all that In Sanaa' Beds, Cupboards, fridges, washing machines, .. And also an electricty motor of your own will be really handy!
Life there's can be as luxurious as you want it to be? one couple have a Jaccuzi now.. and some a swimming pool!

Ok Mawaddah's mentioned a few books so I'm going to answer the latter..
There are no tests that I know of Allaahu A'lam, but when i used to teach I used to take written & oral test from my students.. You could ask the teacher to give you one!
But what usually happens is , when you're studyin a book and we've reached the Middle or the end .. the teacher usually stops and starts to revise from the beginning of the book..
You can only monitor you're progress, if you fee that you have'nt undderstood a certain book, don't worry they're always being taught over and over again so you can join in the next time the lesson's opened!

The sheikh usually monitors his lessons because it's a must for All the brother's to attend, so if you're away he might ask people what's up with brother so & so?

If there's anything that's unclear to you, please feel free to ask inshaAllah..

May Allah Bless you with what's Khayr!

syilla
02-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Well you can find yourself a teacher who will teach you Arabic every day of the week and plus you will be in an Arabic speaking environment so you should be able to do it insha'allah.

What say we go together Kak syilla? :D
MashaAllah...nice idea.

What about my hubby? :coolalien

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-08-2007, 11:08 AM

Can I ask... is it men teaching men, and women teaching women? The classes are segregated, I presume.

seeker_of_ilm
02-08-2007, 03:04 PM

I think someone asked about the books they teach in Dar Al Hadeeth, Dammaj? Their curriculum in PDF format can be found here. I gather its in Arabic, but even I understood most of it, and I'm an Arabic noob

May Allah make it easy for all those who seek knowledge

Now that I've seen the books they teach, I wanna go even MORE. *packs bags*

Insha'Allah soon I will go, when Allah wills it

MinAhlilHadeeth
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM

MashaAllah, that's good. Bros are lucky, they don't need a mahrem.

anonymous
02-08-2007, 05:22 PM

jazakallah for the list of books studied there, very informative, and jazakallah for answering the questions

seeker_of_ilm
02-08-2007, 06:58 PM

I found this on another site, entitled "Adhaan from Dammaaj: Shaykh Yahya Al-Hajooree"

Can be heard here

Masha'Allah its awesome

amirah_87
02-08-2007, 07:06 PM

I found this on another site, entitled "Adhaan from Dammaaj: Shaykh Yahya Al-Hajooree"

Can be heard here

Masha'Allah its awesome

^ MashaAllah, Yep That's my shiekh! :cry:

Thanks for the Link Akhee.

Mawaddah
02-08-2007, 10:02 PM

Can be heard here

Masha'Allah its awesome

Jazakallah Khair Akhi!

It brought tears to my eyes, I miss it there that much :cry:

Sheikh Yahya calls it so beautifully masha'allah.

Nawal89
02-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm listening to it now. Its really beautiful mashaAllah. I really miss our sheikh :(

Mawaddah
02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah

Can I ask... is it men teaching men, and women teaching women? The classes are segregated, I presume.
Yes it's segregated Umm Abdullah :)

mas
02-09-2007, 02:42 AM
yemen
man my home country
there is one called al eman university

anyways
i heard a good pace in egypt
its called al Azhar university
salamz

amirah_87
02-10-2007, 12:54 PM
As salaamu Alaykum Anon,

I came across this Article about "Studyin in Yemen" Posted by someone else on another forum thought it might be worth readin'

Here You go!

Hope it helps InshaAllah.

seeker_of_ilm
02-10-2007, 01:13 PM

Good article, though according to that article "It is currently almost prohibited for foreign students to go to Dammaj." So it'll be very difficult for those wishing to go.

amirah_87
02-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Good article, though according to that article "It is currently almost prohibited for foreign students to go to Dammaj." So it'll be very difficult for those wishing to go.

Wa Alaykum as salaam,

It's hard for foreign students na'am, but look at the thousands there that have made it?

You jus need to have reliance in Allah, and go for it InshaAllah.

shuraimfan4lyf
03-14-2007, 08:43 PM
:sl: Im originally from Yemen, but i was born in India,My name is Amer Ahmed Al-Jaidi, good thread masha allah,i have never been there because i moved to US,insha allah i will go there one day.:w:

jzcasejz
03-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Alhamdulillah, Dammaj Sounds Really Good!

amirah_87
03-28-2007, 09:37 AM

Newsflash:

For those of you who were planning on going to "Dammaaj" this summer, PLEASE change your plans in doing so.. as a war has broken out in a nearby village and all transport (going to n' fro) , telephone lines etc etc have been cut.

Wa BaarakAllaahu feekum. :)

Maimunah
03-28-2007, 09:52 AM

make duaa that i go to damaaj aswell plz

Maimunah
03-28-2007, 10:05 AM

i have found this info about damaaj

"Alhamdulillaah wa Salaatu wa Salaam 'Alaa Rasoolillaah wa ba'd

As-Salaamu 'Alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh,

This was sent to us by Nawaaz as-Srilaankee, a student in Dammaaj. The objective was to encourage the brothers to travel to seek knowledge. The following is a translation of Shaykh Rabee's praise for Dammaaj and the Salafee Mashaayikh of Yaman Hafidhaahumullaah.

Statements of the Great Scholar, the Imaam of al-Jarh wa ta'deel in the era, Rabee' ibn Hadee al-Madkhalee in praise of Shaykh Yahyaa and Daarul-Hadith in Dammaj.

1. The noble brother Aboo Abdur-Rahmaan the student of the great Scholar Rabee ibn Haadee, informed us when he came to visit Dammaj that he heard a Shaykh Rabee say "Verily ash-Shaykh Yahya is a person who possesess knowledge and Abul-Hassan (al-Misree) is not equivalent to the shoe of Shaykh Yahya al-Haajooree.

2. The Imaam Rabee’ ibn Hadee was asked on the 23rd of Ramadhaan 1424;

"What is your opinion of going to study at Daarul Hadith in Dammaj, Yemen, knowing that I am a new student?

The Imaam answered by saying "Indeed it is befitting that you journey to this strong hold from the strong holds of Islaam, to this light house from the light houses of Islaam. Indeed journey should be made to it and the knowledge should be sought there. He (student of Knowledge) will find - &#199;&#225;&#225;&#229; willing- much good there and he will find the Sunnah and guidance and he will find there adherence to the Prophet (May the peace and blessing of &#199;&#225;&#225;&#229; be upon him). By &#199;&#225;&#225;&#229; we encourage studying at this abode which is from the strong holds and light houses of the Sunnah. In it - &#199;&#225;&#225;&#229; willing- are men from the people of the Sunnah and guidance and knowledge, we ask Allaah that he keeps them firm on the Sunnah and that he bring about benefit by them and that He make them from amongst those who carry the banner of the Sunnah, in this time period in which innovations have accumulated and trials have evolved. We seek refuge in Allaah.

So all praise are due to Allaah so whoever wants good and wants guidance and whoever wants to be far away from tribulations, he must cling to the strongholds of the Sunnah - all praise due to Allaah - They are numerous in many countries and in particular this strong hold which I see in it clear distinction and all praises are due to Allaah to make it go smooth for the one who strives to it seeking the guidance from its source and seeking an enlightenment from the Sunnah and good that is there."

3. The brother Sameer al-Hudaydee mentioned in the preface to questions he presented to a Shaykh Yahya from brothers residing in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. That he went to Shaykh Rabee' and said:

"The followers of Abul Hasan (al-Misree) say there are no 'Ulamaah in Yemen!", so ash-Shaykh Rabee responded by saying "Ash-Shaykh Muhammad (Ibn Abdulwahhab), what is he?! And Shaykh Yahya what is he?! And other then them from their fellow brothers!"

4. The great Scholar Ahmad an-Najmee said in the preface to ash-Shaykh Yahyaa's book 'a Subh-ashaariq " . . . . . .':

"And a Shaykh Yahyaa (May Allaah reward him a good reward) has refuted him "az-Zindaanee". In this short passages and in other places with a refutation that silences the adversary using decisive clear proofs from the Book and the authentic Sunnah, so may Allaah reward him a good reward and bless him and may Allaah make numerous the likes of him those who defend the truth and support Tawheed and gaurds its boundaries. And with Allaah is success".

The noble brother Ameen ibn Ahmad ash-Shaame al-Yemaanee said: I went to Shaykh Muhammad ibn AbdulWahhad al-Wassabee visiting him. So he said in the sitting:

“Verily Allaah has made successful in his choosing Shaykh Yahya for Daarul-Hadith" and also he said" Dammaj still remains as a source of knowledge in Yemen"

amirah_87
03-28-2007, 12:33 PM

May Allah bless him and preserve him! :cry:

May I have the link to that InshaAllah?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-28-2007, 12:58 PM

Newsflash:

For those of you who were planning on going to "Dammaaj" this summer, PLEASE change your plans in doing so.. as a war has broken out in a nearby village and all transport (going to n' fro) , telephone lines etc etc have been cut.

Wa BaarakAllaahu feekum. :)

jazakAllah khair, please keep us updated!

Samira_01
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Im a yemeny gurl .. but neva been to damaj but yes i have been to yemen .. inshallah will goo too damaj once or more in my life tymme .. inshallah make dua for me :)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-28-2007, 01:47 PM

I can't believe I missed this thread! Dammaj just sounds too good to be true..

EDIT: Here it is!! www.calgaryislam.net, Check out audio sections
It's saying access is denied when I try to go to the Audio section :(

Is this somewhere there:

Mawaddah
03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
^ access denied? Perhaps you need to sign up maybe? :?

and YES the Above picture is Dammaj!! The Big white building is the Sheikhs Masjid where all the Sheikhs classes are held and the cluster of Mud houses nearby are the married peoples homes and farther out where you see houses spotted here and there those are the homes of the villagers.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-28-2007, 02:05 PM
^ access denied? Perhaps you need to sign up maybe? :?
Oh right, just realized that :-[
I'm listening now, its just awesome. Duroos's from 6:00 AM until 11:00 at night, and in many many different areas at the same time. It's amazing, I mean it sounds better then Madinah Uni...
and YES the Above picture is Dammaj!! The Big white building is the Sheikhs Masjid where all the Sheikhs classes are held and the cluster of Mud houses nearby are the married peoples homes and farther out where you see houses spotted here and there those are the homes of the villagers.
That's awesome, I'm trying to find more..do you know of others?

Mawaddah
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Madani
Oh right, just realized that :-[
I'm listening now, its just awesome. Duroos's from 6:00 AM until 11:00 at night, and in many many different areas at the same time. It's amazing, I mean it sounds better then Madinah Uni...

Well My dad says that it's better than Madinah Uni :D

He's been to Madinah Uni for 3 years and he's been in Dammaj for 5 years so he should know how to compare.

But both have their wonderful points Masha'allah

More pics of Dammaj :statisfie

Umar001
03-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I was going to ask about the War.

There's this brother who sells perfume for us guys at a masjid I go to and he lives in yemen and travels back and forth and he was telling me about this war.

Mawaddah
03-28-2007, 02:20 PM
^ So what'd he say about it? So far Dammaj isn't really 'afflicted' as yet but the war is going on in nearby villages, and a little while ago some of the fighters in the bordering villages snuck into Dammaj and killed a French bro and wounded others :cry:

Umar001
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
^ So what'd he say about it? So far Dammaj isn't really 'afflicted' as yet but the war is going on in nearby villages, and a little while ago some of the fighters in the bordering villages snuck into Dammaj and killed a French bro and wounded others :cry:

I cant remember to be sure, I mean I have some things in my mind but I dont want to make mistakes about this.

But I dont think he said Damaj but some areas. Cos I was speaking about Yemen in general about how is it there and so forth.

They just killed him for no reason? And the brother is French too! But I last saw him two weeks or so ago so I hope its not him insha'Allah.

Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return.

amirah_87
03-28-2007, 04:29 PM

jazakAllah khair, please keep us updated!
Wa Iyyaak, will do so InshaAllah.

They just killed him for no reason? And the brother is French too! But I last saw him two weeks or so ago so I hope its not him insha'Allah.
Na'am, the thing is most Yemeni residents around those areas who arent Taalib 'ilm are Shiite/Rawaafidh, they do not like Ahlus-sunnah and believe such stuff as: The life of one sunniy is a key to paradise.

The brother that got killed Allah Yar'hamuh.. I doubt he's the one you're refering to Akhee, He was a close family freind of ours may Allah bless him. He was a muhaajirr and had been residing in dammaaj for 5 or more years, during his time there he never left Yemen for business purposes n' etc.

Please make duah for him InshaAllah. :cry:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-29-2007, 01:45 AM

Inna lillahi wa ina ilayhi Rajiun^..May Allaah have mercy on him.

The sisters that have been there, can you tell us more of how it is? How are the classes, how things happen, the environment, the people and more? I'm loving this place the more I hear about it..

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Inna lillahi wa ina ilayhi Rajiun^..May Allaah have mercy on him.

The sisters that have been there, can you tell us more of how it is? How are the classes, how things happen, the environment, the people and more? I'm loving this place the more I hear about it..
Sure! I love talking about the place too.

So as for the classes, they are held either in the Masaajid or in peoples homes. The Sheikhs class which are the ones compulsory for all male students to attend are held in the Masjid (three times a day as mentioned earlier) And there are thousands of students there who sit on the masjid floor. The Sheikh is standing on the minbar and he speaks on the mic and gives the explanations for it, It's just like a huge lecture hall, everyone will be taking their own individual notes ( or no notes at all for some :rollseyes )

If the lesson is on hadeeth, then the Sheikh requires for all the men attending to memorize the hadeeth and he will call upon people randomly to stand up and read the hadeeth (in front of all the other thousands :D ). At times he will call upon a certain group, for example :

"Today all the people from Britain stand up and read!!" So all around the masjid you see British brothers standing up and reciting the hadeeth.

Sometimes it's " All the boys below 15 recite the hadeeth!!" and then the little boys will stand up and read and it sounds like a huge roar in the masjid because the little boys are yelling on the top of their lungs :giggling:

Then after the recitation the Sheikh will go on calling on people and asking questions from the previous lessons......It's very wonderful to listen to because The Sheikh has a wonderful sense of humour, and also he's sooooooo knowledgeable Subhanallah so the lesson will sometimes encompass so many different fields at once just branching off from a single hadeeth can come the discussions of fiqh, mustalah, aqidah, usool, nahw etc etc.

And then at the end of the classes the Sheikh will end his class by saying " Tafadhdhaluuu......Hafidhakumullah!!!"
Which means "Be dismissed, May Allah watch over you all!"
Then from all the doors of the masjid it will seem as if a bucket of water suddenly overflowed because the men are just streeeeeeaaaaaming out of all the doors, and any sisters who are in the way at the moment are in trouble coz it's pretty embarrassing to be stuck in a flood of brothers :rollseyes

As for the people, then, it's the same as any other place you go to in the world, there are the friendly, there are those who will be aloof, there are those who will spite you and snub you, but overall, There is more good than bad because so many of the students there (men in particular) are of knowledge alhamdulillah.

Perhaps if someone goes over there the students will warn against the villagers (Dammajis) because they are known for trying to rip off the students and cheating them and basically just trying to outwit the poor student as much as they can :D and it has increased since the former Sheikh Muqbil (rahimahullah) who was a Dammaji himself has passed away. Now, Sheikh Yahya who is running the place is from another place (Hajoor) so the Dammajis dont pay him any mind.......and so he doesn't really have much of a say over what they want to do to the students in terms of ripping them of and all of that since the land is not his and he is not from the people. But not all of the Dammajis are like that of course. It's just that some of them are just outrageous so it makes the students wary of them all :phew

The environment is very niceeeeee like in the pictures which I posted up you can see that it's just a desert with fields dotted here and there.......very beautiful Subhanallah especially if you venture deeper down into the villages ( I have to say that the students quarters are nothing to talk about :rollseyes students seem to have a thing about messing up the natural scenery and beauty with their careless building :raging: )

At Fajr time you will be awakened by the call of the Mu'adhin calling from the Masjid.....He calls two adhaans for Fajr, one to wake people up for Sahoor, and the other is the actual Fajr Adhaan and Masha'allah they always have brothers with such Beautiful voices to call the adhaan :'( and to hear that voice echoing over the moutains and the desert is just an experience never to be forgotten Subhanallah. Then because everything is silent (not full of cars blaring and some neighbours music on full blast like we have here sometimes AStaghfirullah) After a while if you are close enough to the masjid you will hear the Fajr Prayers being recited over the microphone and echoing all over the place.

Okay that's that.

Then there will be the villager children who come out from the villages after fajr bringing with them their produce (lol) apples and string beans and juju's (lotus tree fruit) and stuff like that, and they are most often girls (in niqaab) who carry the baskets of their goods on their heads whilst balancing it with their hands, displaying their arms full of bracelets and henna designs and dresses of bright and flashy colors...lol...quite a sight...and they will go knocking on the doors of the students calling out " Baa tishtaraw!! " (Will you buy!!) and then if you do say you want to buy and open the doors for them you will have to haggle with them for 15 minutes because they put the most ridiculous prices at times :enough!: ( I learnt the art of bargaining whilst my stay in Yemen and I have to say it embarrasses me at times :X )

A little after 7 you will see all the children running out on their way to the masjid to start their classes for the day, and from then on until Dhuhr, the streets will be full of people making their way to and fro classes, and whilst walking to the Sheikhs masjid you will See some brothers having their circles of classes here and there in the desert under the shade of a lotus tree........and on the way to the masjid you will see the villagers around the masjid selling their wares, some of them sell the traditional yemeni sweets, some of them spread out blankets on the dirt and spread out apples and grapes and peaches for sale, ( I promise, you will never taste grapes like the ones grow in Dammaj :'( )some of them at times have rabbits and porcupines to sell as fresh meat :blind: , Sometimes they bring little hawks to sell as pets ( My dad bought me and my bros and sis's two at one time ) And you will see the tents for the Hajjaam (the one who does cupping) and other stuff.... they all have their little corners under the trees..really quaint....... And you will see the villagers working in their fields, the women will be cutting the wheat, the men will be watering the plants, or repairing a mud wall, and the Dammajis love to sing so you will often hear them singing....

And then the Adhaan for Dhuhr will call, all the men will be at the masjid for Salaat and the Sheikhs dars, all the women will be at home cooking lunch :D (no classes for women at midday except maybe private lessons) All the kiddos will either be with their fathers at the masjid, or you see a few playing on the streets........those kids have to be careful though, because if they are 14 and over and are caught by the security guards playing around and not in class they are in for some big time ear pulling :giggling:

So the streets will be quiet.........silent......with the exception of hearing the Sheikh having his classes over the mic. Then at 2 o'clock, the men will be on their way back home again after class, and it will be silent again in the streets until Asr time when everyone is headed back out for class again.And if they have any Shuyukh who are guests from around Yemen or Saudi it's usually after Asr time when they will have guest Shuyukh give talks, and it will continue until after Ishaa'.........on these occasions the villagers from over the mountains even come at times!! It's a sight really, to see the people climbing down from the mountains to come to the Sheikhs masjid....and the talks are always amazingly good Subhanallah.

Oh, I really hope that the war will not touch Dammaj in any way so such a beautiful life can continue Insha'allah :cry:

I'll let Princess come and add some things when she comes online, I have to run right now. Wassalam.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
^ SUBHANALLAH!

are there any requirements? to study there?

SUBHANALLAH!!

Nawal89
03-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Also in Dammaj you can approach people to teach you privately if you want to learn a certian book, They also teach the same books over and over again. So if you dont do well on it the first time you can easily just pop into another class:statisfie
Oh but try to do well the first time. Teachers are usually strict :p

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
^ SUBHANALLAH!

are there any requirements? to study there?

SUBHANALLAH!!
You mean like papers?

No :D

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
You mean like papers?

No :D
LOL!

:D :D

so we dont need to memorise a lot of the quran or nethin?

subhanAllah!

btw do they make you memorise quran?

also about the food and housing, who provides? do you have to provide for yourself?

is there a yearly cost?

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 03:30 PM
LOL!

:D :D

so we dont need to memorise a lot of the quran or nethin?

subhanAllah!

btw do they make you memorise quran?

also about the food and housing, who provides? do you have to provide for yourself?

is there a yearly cost?
You dont need a diploma or none of that sorts

The only thing you need to have Is!!!

The Desire to Learn

Bas!!

You dont have to have memorized Any Qur'an or anything, you can be a new muslim who knows nothing, you just go there and get into studying, of course, at first introduce yourself to the Sheikh so that he will put your name down on the register so if something happens to you they can take the required measures.

The memorization of Qur'an is strongly emphasized there, that's about the first thing they will get you in, even walking on the roads you will see brothers walking in twos' reciting the Qur'an and testing each other, the place is just a buzz of knowledge subhanallah. So yes, memorization of the Qur'an will be one of the first things you will get into, you can ask someone to teach you, no problem, there are loadssssssss of Haafidhs there.

As for housing and such, you will have to provide for yourself, but the single brothers are allowed to stay in the masjid if they wish, and the Sheikh provides three meals a day for the single brothers, very simple simple food though, bread and beans or something. But it's a big help for the singles because there are some there who are too poor even to buy a pencil and notebook, so their classmates (who are poor too) break their pencils in half to share.....Subhanallah. :)

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 03:33 PM
^ SUBHANALLAH, me n my mum r gnna hav a discussion tonight!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 03:38 PM
one mor question!

can we live there forever? (till we die) :D

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
^
lol

I dont think many would be up for it?especially the foreigners since it's such a drastic change from what we are used to. The Sheikh has advised foreigners not to make Hijrah to Dammaj because it may get too difficult there for some. But if you go there and think you can rough it out then go ahead. There's one thing though about living there forever, where're you gonna work at? Dammaj is not a place for work, ther's nothing for a student to do there, unless of course you want to move into the village and become a farmer but thats like backbreaking work and you'll need aaaaaaaacres of land to be able to make a living from that.

But hey, it's all up to you, some people take up permanent residency in San'a (the capital) and get jobs teaching or something, and then go to Dammaj for the summer holidays.

But it's up to you, you'd have to go there and see if you can put up with it, because like i said, it's a whole different world from what many are accustomed to. But a lovely world :)

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 03:47 PM
i dont kno how that life is rough? wat makes it rough?

wallahi everything sounds so beautiful, i dont really care how i make istinjaa/ghusl as long as i can stay clean, i'll even live in the dark, thats not much of a problem, moon is a beautiful illumination anyway! theres nothing i see which would make me think dammaj is rough lol honestly, but hey i havent been there yet :p i'll let u kno afta summer what i think :D

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Yes, come to think of it, I shouldn't have said 'rough it out' because if you can afford it, it wont be a rough life at all.....

hmmmmmmmm....

Well the only thing which would be the problem with staying there forever is funds , money is a problem.

But no, life there doesn't have to be rough at all!

I only said that without thinking because when I was first there (10 years ago) now that's what you could call difficult living:D

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-29-2007, 04:06 PM

That was an awesome account of the place Sister! Cant remember the saying (or was it a hadith?), but I read somewhere that there will come a time when we'll have to set ourselves to the mountains to preserve our Imaan..and I can't help but thinking of Dammaj after reading that. Subhanallah, I so want to go there now. It's as if like mercy is decending there with all the knowledge going about.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Just found this:
Dammaaj - YEMEN

As-Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaah wa barakaatuh.

Dammaaj is the birthplace of the reviver of the Sunnah, the Great Scholar Muqbil ibn Haadee Al-Waadi'ee. The Sheikh set up an institute of knowledge that by Allaah's will has changed the face of Yemen. Before the da'wah of the Sheikh Yemen was plagued by tashayyu' in the north and tasawwuf in the south and hizbiyyah.

Now by Allaah's grace the da'wah of Ahlus-Sunnah can be found in all parts in Yemen, stronger in some areas than others. The institute in Dammaaj started as a small masjid made of mud then as the students numbers grew a bigger masjid was built adjacent to the Sheikh's house then later a bigger masjid was built which is today the library then an even bigger masjid was built and now that masjid has just been expanded. The latest masjid is very big and is active day and night with classes and students memorizing Qur'aan and hadeeth and at night time some of the single students sleep in the masjid.

Other single students choose to sleep in the basement of the masjid while others choose to buy rooms in a section for the single brothers. The rooms are made of mud bricks and most of them have small bathrooms. There are also bathrooms adjacent to the masjid and presently even more are being built. The single brothers are given three meals a day usually beans and bread in the morning and evening and rice for lunch. There are also small restaurants where some choose to buy meals while some single brothers choose to cook there own meals in their rooms.

On top of the masjid is a musallaa for the women where Umm Abdillaah Aishah bint Ash-Sheikh Muqbil gives her classes for the women. Other women such as Umm Salamah the wife of Ash-Sheikh Muqbil and Umm Shu'aib the former wife of Ash-Sheikh Muqbil and presently one of Ash-Sheikh Yahyaa's wives and other women also have classes for the women. Some of the women also listen to the classes of Ash-Sheikh Yayhaa by way of the speaker system. The women also have a large library next to their musallaa on top of the masjid where they can do research. Ash-Sheikh Yahyaa gives three general classes each day in the masjid for all students to attend; only those who are sick or are on security for the day or have asked permission from the Sheikh are excused from attending.

This is so the Sheikh can know the status of his students, how they are progressing and for other reasons. The first class of the Sheikh is after the Dhuhr prayer when he teaches Tafseer Ibn Katheer one day and Al-Jaami' As-Saheeh by Ash-Sheikh Muqbil the next day. The next class is after the Asr prayer when he teaches Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree.

The students are expected to memorize the hadeeth read in the class of Al-Bukhaaree and
the class of Al-Jaami' As-Saheeh unless the hadeeth is long then those who don't memorize are not blamed. The third class is after the Maghrib prayer. This is the longest class. The Sheikh in these days starts the class with a brief explanation of Al-Aqeedah As-Siffaareenee then reads from Saheeh Muslim then reads from As-Sunan As-Sughraa by Al-Baihaqee then gives a brief explanation of matn al-waraqaat in usool al fiqh.

Those are the daily classes given by Ash-Sheikh Yayhaa, may Allaah protect him and aide him. Then there are classes announced in specific subjects in specific books. The class and it's time and place and teacher are announced over the loud speaker and are written on a board for the students to know. Classes are opened in all sciences and go all year round only stopping for Ramadaan when most people focus on reviewing Qur'aan while some students go on Umr'ah and others go back to their home villages and cities to give da'wah.

Also it should be noted that Ash-Sheikh Abdur-Rahmaan Al-Adanee is presently giving a class in Aayaatul-Ahkaam (the verses that have legal rulings) and Umdatul-Ahkaam Al-Kubraa one day for each class after Asr after the class in Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree. Ash-Sheikh Abdur-Rahmaan also gives the women a class every thursday in the women's musallaa in the housing section called the mazra'ah by way of loud speaker from a mic in a room adjacent to the women's musallaa.

The women are also able to write down questions for the Sheikh in this class. There are also many english and french speaking students who teach Arabic to those who don't know Arabic. Inshaallaah I plan on opening a class for the brothers after Ramadaan in one of the madeenah books and plan to continue with the brothers until we reach Ibn Aqeel, may Allaah help us. There are also women who teach the sisters that don't know Arabic.

As for the housing situation for families, that differs depending on what you are looking for. Presently houses going for between $5,000 and $10,000.

Those who are poorer usually build there own houses on land that is cheaper on the mountain or even build on top of someone else's house. Some people are given houses for free when one opens up on Ash-Sheikh Muqbil's land which he made waqf for the students of knowledge. I know of two families from the west that have been given houses for free.

The houses are mostly made of mud bricks while some choose to build with cynder block. The houses have running water and some areas have electricity for a couple of hours at night time.

The cost of living here is cheap. A small family can easily get by on $100 a month. The cost of living varies depending on your lifestyle. The student of knowledge should spend his money wisely so he will be able to focus more on studying. Dammaaj is not the cleanest place in the world.

Many westerners when they first arrive complain of the trash scattered around and the smell of a sewage system that has been blocked up and things like this. They also complain about the character of some of the Yemenee students who are new to seeking knowledge. I advise the brothers and sisters that they read the history of our Prophet, may the peace and praise of Allaah be upon him, and the history of our Salaf As-Saalih. And I remind them that this dunyaa is not everlasting. We are all on a journey to our Lord and we will leave behind these belongings we have in this life. Our Prophet, may the peace and praise of Allaah be upon him has said: Be in this life as if you are a stranger or a traveler.

And Ibn Umar said: Take (advantage) from your health for the time you are sick and from your life for your death. And it has been authentically reported on Umar that he said: Live hard for verily the ease will not continue. It seems many Muslims from the west are more concerned about things of the dunyaa than that which will benefit them in the hereafter. Look how people recommend Muslims to travel to a land because of the lifestyle there then they make a note that they have only seen one woman who wears the hijaab, subhaanallaah.

May Allaah increase us in beneficial knowledge.

Was-Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaah wa barakaatuh.

Abdullah MacPhee / Dammaaj – Yemen
19/09/2005

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM

That was an awesome account of the place Sister! Cant remember the saying (or was it a hadith?), but I read somewhere that there will come a time when we'll have to set ourselves to the mountains to preserve our Imaan..and I can't help but thinking of Dammaj after reading that. Subhanallah, I so want to go there now. It's as if like mercy is decending there with all the knowledge going about.
Subhanallah I heard that hadeeth last week at Jumu'ah Prayers but it has totally slipped my mind right now.

Abdullah MacPhee / Dammaaj – Yemen
19/09/2005
Just found this:
Oh it was written by Abdullah McPhee?? ........ Allah Bless the Brother Ameen.

Yes but like he mentioned there, and like I mentioned above, the places where the students like to cluster their houses about are not exactly the nicest of places.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh it was written by Abdullah McPhee?? ........ Allah Bless the Brother Ameen.

Yes but like he mentioned there, and like I mentioned above, the places where the students like to cluster their houses about are not exactly the nicest of places.
Is it possible to like go a bit far out and build your own house?

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Is it possible to like go a bit far out and build your own house?
Oh Suuuuuure, If you can find a Dammaji villager who will sell you a bit of land that is not a problem at all. Lots of students do that actually, they live amongst the villagers and not too close with the other students. Thats what we'll be planning on doing too insha'allah. But the only loss in living too far out is that you will be away from the hubbub of activity....you know.....seeing your fellow students and all of that. You'll be with the villagers who dont really care about studying.

Maimunah
03-29-2007, 04:43 PM

say i wanted to buy a house there, how much will that cost me?

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah

I can't exactly tell you that right now sis as I haven't really checked about house prices and all recently......and it's been almost 5 years now since I left. I'll let Princess reply that for you insha'allah, she's only been gone for a year :)

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 04:49 PM

I'll let Princess come and add some things when she comes online, I have to run right now. Wassalam.
MashaAllah, I think you and the article by McPhee covered it sis! :)

Oh Suuuuuure, If you can find a Dammaji villager who will sell you a bit of land that is not a problem at all. Lots of students do that actually, they live amongst the villagers and not too close with the other students. Thats what we'll be planning on doing too insha'allah. But the only loss in living too far out is that you will be away from the hubbub of activity....you know.....seeing your fellow students and all of that. You'll be with the villagers who dont really care about studying.
To buy land now doesn't have to neccesarily be in the Bedouin areas, theres lots of land for sale in the Maktabah ( the main area).. this is because more villagers are selling there land and what not.

The cost of houses range from: $5-11,000. This depends mainly on which area you buy the land and also how many bedrooms it has an etc.

Maimunah
03-29-2007, 04:53 PM

The cost of houses range from: $5-11,000. This depends mainly on which area you buy the land and also how many bedrooms it has an etc.
say that in pounds plz:-[

seeker_of_ilm
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM
£2,547-£5,604

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Loq sorry they function in Riyals or dollars up there. :-[

I'm not so good at converting but it's roughly &#163;3-6,000. :)

A Lil' Tip:
If you're planning on buying a house/land DON'T buy it in the "summer break" prices are sky high during this period, try buying it monnths before or after Bi'Idhnillaah.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:05 PM

what if you cant afford a house :? also i dont think thsi got answered but is there a yearly tuition fee?

inshaAllah i should be able to scrounge up 5 grand!!! time to start saving!!

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
^ No fees at all, education is free.

Also no bills to be paid. Water and electricity are free.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:08 PM
^ No fees at all, education is free.

Also no bills to be paid. Water and electricity are free.
i was just wondering why on earth you left the place :eek:

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 05:09 PM
^ :lol: We planned on staying for 10 years, but my mom had really low blood pressure and almost died so we had to leave. Apparently the high altitude is really bad for people like her.

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 05:11 PM

what if you cant afford a house :?
Then if you're a single brother you can sleep in the masjid along with all the other as7aab as-suffah.

And if you're a sister then the sheikhs wife is likely to take you up.

And also:

Single people, are provided with three daily meals.

And the families are provided with 3,000 riyals monthly, that's roughly &#163;15.00..
which isnt much but alhamdulillah not many complain.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:11 PM

say we go down there, what do we do :S lol, how do we even get there to begin with? is there like a guide from sana'a to dammaj?

once we get to dammaj can we stay in the mosque till we can buy a house? how long does it take to buy a house?

sorry if im asking too much :hiding:

do all the sheikhs know english?

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM

say we go down there, what do we do :S lol, how do we even get there to begin with? is there like a guide from sana'a to dammaj?

once we get to dammaj can we stay in the mosque till we can buy a house? how long does it take to buy a house?

sorry if im asking too much :hiding:

do all the sheikhs know english?

most people when they reach San'a they head for Masjid al-Khair in San'a or the Masjid which is located next to the hotel owned by Sheikh Yahya's wivfe which is called Imaarat Al-Khawlaani ( I forget the Masjid name now) and they will easily find drivers to Dammaj there because alot of the brothers who go up and down from Dammaj gather around there.

And if you're single when you get to Dammaj, like I mentioned before, the masjid is open for the single brothers.

And you can take as long as you want to buy a house lol. Usually takes a few months to find a nice house and agree on the price and make sure there are no strings attached. To build takes a bit longer though.

And if the Sheikhs know English? Of course they dont! lol.

But there are many english speaking brothers who will translate for you insha'allah.

But you know what bro, if things work out okay and all of that, I can even give you the numbers of some very trustworthy people up there who I know. They'll help you out.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:17 PM

jazakAllah khair

i have everything i need to know now Alhamdulillah!

actually... last one honest, would you recommend going there before or after marriage?

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 05:18 PM
most people when they reach San'a they head for Masjid al-Khair in San'a or the Masjid which is located next to the hotel owned by Sheikh Yahya's wivfe which is called Imaarat Al-Khawlaani ( I forget the Masjid name now) and they will easily find drivers to Dammaj there because alot of the brothers who go up and down from Dammaj gather around there.
Masjid Al-Khair!! ;)

And you can take as long as you want to buy a house lol. Usually takes a few months to find a nice house and agree on the price and make sure there are no strings attached. To build takes a bit longer though.
But it's best to buy a house before you get there InshaAllah, like if you tell someone to search for you. :)

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 05:20 PM

jazakAllah khair

i have everything i need to know now Alhamdulillah!

actually... last one honest, would you recommend going there before or after marriage?
Erm.....

I can't really say?

What do you say Princess?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:25 PM
But it's best to buy a house before you get there InshaAllah, like if you tell someone to search for you. :)
i dont know anyone in dammaj though...

its not a problem inshaAllah.

i dont mind staying in a masjid

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 05:25 PM

Hmm.. tough one wallaahi.

I say and dont take my full word for it, it might be better to get married here and then head off. One of the reasons being that you'd have taken someone along with you who can also benefit from there?

you get where im coming from? :?

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
^ Man I really dont want to say anything. Coz you know sometimes taking a family there can be more headache than good. There's the pros in cons in going there single and married I guess.

But if you go there single there are loads of practising sisters there....really easy to get married there.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:34 PM

you mean people get married down there? :eek:

subhanAllah btw i heard sheikh muqbil passed away, is that true :?

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 05:36 PM

you mean people get married down there? :eek:
Loq, yeah..they do get married down there!!

subhanAllah btw i heard sheikh muqbil passed away, is that true :?
Na'am he passed away Early Summer '05 Allah Yarham'hu. :cry:

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Na'am he passed away Early Summer '05 Allah Yarham'hu. :cry:
inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajiun

so whos keeping up the standards? hows it doing without the great sheikh?

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 05:46 PM
^ Masha'allah the Da'wah is now flourishing like never before there :)

Princess Sheikh Muqbil passed away in 2001 what are you talking about!! :eek:

Even though the presence of Sheikh Muqbil is dearly missed :cry: I cry everytime I hear his voice from the cassettes that I have :cry: But Masha'allah the da'wah is flourishing

Sheikh Muqbil laid down the foundation of the place and now Sheikh yahya is just carrying on with the Da'wah, we have people there coming from all over the world, every country.

And Yes, people of course do get married there lol. Very very much so.

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 05:48 PM
inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajiun

so whos keeping up the standards? hows it doing without the great sheikh?
It's doing great MashaAllah TabaarakAllah, when the sheikh died Rahimahullah he passed it down to His student/ predesecssor "Sheikh Yahya ibn Ali Al-Hujuuree Hafidhahullaah" who's really really knowledgable may Allah bless him.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 05:51 PM
^
Sheikh Muqbil laid down the foundation of the place and now Sheikh yahya is just carrying on with the Da'wah, we have people there coming from all over the world, every country.
subhanAllah! Have any of the lecturers we hear studied in dammaj?

you kno the ones on kalamullah and stuff?

awlaki's my favorite, he studied in dammaj right :?

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 05:52 PM
^
Princess Sheikh Muqbil passed away in 2001 what are you talking about!! :eek:
Seems like aages ago doesn't it, but yeah! I'm pretty certain that's when he died Allah Yar'hamuh.. (you're confusing now though? hmm)

Summer '01 is when we came right? and I remember JUST when we purchased the tickets and we had them in our hand ready to get set, we heard the news that the Sheikh had passed away! :cry:

Pretty tragic hunh? not as tragic as another family we knew who was on the tareeq from Sana'ah to Dammaaj when they heard about his death on the radio! :cry:

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 06:07 PM

subhanAllah! Have any of the lecturers we hear studied in dammaj?

you kno the ones on kalamullah and stuff?

awlaki's my favorite, he studied in dammaj right :?
On Kalaamullaah? Allahu a'lam I dont know, I dont visit that site.

You're talking about Anwar Al-Awlaki right?

If so.. No, He didn't study In Dammaaj akhee, Allahu A'lam where he studied.

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Seems like aages ago doesn't it, but yeah! I'm pretty certain that's when he died Allah Yar'hamuh.. (you're confusing now though? hmm)
Allah Yarhamuh :cry:

Summer '01 is when we came right? and I remember JUST when we purchased the tickets and we had them in our hand ready to get set, we heard the news that the Sheikh had passed away! :cry:
Yea Summer of '01 is when you and the rest of your gang arrived, disturbing the peace and overturning the whole place :giggling:

Those were the days innit Princess? :p

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Allah Yarhamuh :cry:

Yea Summer of '01 is when you and the rest of your gang arrived, disturbing the peace and overturning the whole place :giggling:

Those were the days innit Princess? :p
Na'am na'aam!! The starting of the BESTEST days/months/years of my life!! :statisfie :statisfie

... which have now sadly come to an end!! :cry:

QadarAllah wa maa shaa'a fa'al. :-\

But I shall return InshaAllah! Im just hopin you guys would be there!! Itll be just like old times hunh? only now we're much old and abit more 'aaqil ...hehee :giggling:

Aaaah the memories!! :statisfie

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 06:24 PM

did they turn you into huffaaz?

did they turn you into arab masters?lol

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
^ Moi and My family will be sure going back insha'allah :statisfie

BUT YOU'D BETTER NOT BE LATE IN COMING :anger:

I hear that you're only coming when you turn into a gramma :cry:

;D

Yea we're older now and more sensible (:rollseyes) But we can still make our good times come to life again :happy:

Oooooooooooooooh I cannot waitttttttttttttttttt

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 06:27 PM

did they turn you into huffaaz?

did they turn you into arab masters?lol
Huffaaz?

Arab masters?

What are those? :?

Kidding....

Erm....I finished my Qur'an after my first 2 years there alhamdulillah

As for Arab masters? :exhausted

Princess is the one who is the Arab master in Grammar and all, she rocks in that Masha'allah!!

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM

You see this pic, can you spot the shaari' where our house is? :statisfie

You see on the right of the masjid, next to that tall Dammaajee building (the tallest of them all :giggling:)... Umm 'aamir ad-dammaajiyyah/ Ukht turkees house?

If you keep on going right you'll see that Dawm tree that grows on the foot of our street? and straight along there sumwhere stands our house! :statisfie

Ive had this pic set as my desktop for over a year now! :-[

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
^ Yeah I can see all of that Princess!! Awwwww sometimes I stare and the pic and my heart is just going bumpity bump......beating away as I stare at all of it and imagining all whats going on there :p

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-29-2007, 06:35 PM

Looks like you two had an excellent time there Masha'Allaah. I hope I can go at some point Insha'Allaah.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 06:36 PM

Looks like you two had an excellent time there Masha'Allaah. I hope I can go at some point Insha'Allaah.

inshaAllah same here bro :)

Mawaddah
03-29-2007, 06:37 PM
^ Insha'allah you both will Akhawan :)

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 06:38 PM
^ Moi and My family will be sure going back insha'allah :statisfie

BUT YOU'D BETTER NOT BE LATE IN COMING :anger:

I hear that you're only coming when you turn into a gramma :cry:

;D

Yea we're older now and more sensible (:rollseyes) But we can still make our good times come to life again :happy:

Oooooooooooooooh I cannot waitttttttttttttttttt
Loq!! :giggling:

No I'll defo make it there before im an ajuuuzah! :giggling:

shush shushh now, i'm getting teary eyed here! :-\

amirah_87
03-29-2007, 06:40 PM

I hope I can go at some point Insha'Allaah.
inshaAllah same here bro
May Allah make it easier on the two of you and for everyone else who wants to go.

YassarAllaahu liy wa lakum.

~Juwairiyah~
03-29-2007, 08:16 PM

Q: Where is The best place to study Islam without any restrictions whatsoever?

A: DAMMAJ

Wallahi, the 5 years that I spent there are the most precious in my memory and Insha'allah will always be.
Classes there are abundant! Knowledge is just overflowing there wallahi, the teachers there are just amazing in the vastness of their knowledge, the students amount to the thousands! And whats more, it's free
That's right, all the classes there are held Fi Sabilillah

Language, Literature,Aqidah,Fiqh,Ilmul Hadeeth, Qur'an, everything.

The Sheikh yahya holds 3 classes a day which are obligatory to be attended by everyone living on the Premises, and they are just beautiful.

And then on the side you can find people to teach you any other subject that you wish insha'allah.

Of course, it's all about self motivation whilst you're there because no one is forcing you to do anytyhing, you can study for as long as you want, as much as you want, but it's all up to you.

Yes Go!!!
:sl: sis

What about accommodation? Do you they provide you with a place to live like they do in Saudi Arabia or you're on your own?

Jazakallah khair

Maimunah
03-29-2007, 09:04 PM

please make duaa for me that i go there inshaAllah

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 09:31 PM

inshaAllah ukhtee!

may Allah help us.

imagine the strength we'll have when we get back, we can take on the flames of fitnah and give dawah strongly :D

i cant wait to go!!

Maimunah
03-30-2007, 07:56 AM

inshaAllah ukhtee!

may Allah help us.

imagine the strength we'll have when we get back, we can take on the flames of fitnah and give dawah strongly :D

i cant wait to go!!
true say
ur lucky coz u dont need a mahram unlike us
but Alhamdulilaah, everything happens coz of qadar of Allah

amirah_87
03-31-2007, 02:31 PM

For those of you who requested an update of the situation in Sa'dah / Yemen, here it is:

SANA’A, March 28 — Tribal sources said Wednesday that bloody clashes between the Yemeni army and Houthi loyalists are continuing on various fronts in Sa’ada. Army forces retreated from Dhahian city, a Houthi stronghold, after facing severe resistance there. Meanwhile, material and human losses are increasing.

Aleshteraki.net reported informed sources in Sa’ada as saying, “Army forces and hundreds of tribal volunteers managed to penetrate many streets of Dhahian after deadly confrontations with Houthi loyalists waged since last Tuesday afternoon.”

Eyewitnesses declared, “The Yemeni army is employing a new method in its war on Dhahian, as many units are allowed to enter the city for some time and then withdraw and resume other attacks. Dozens of tanks and armored vehicles are positioned on all streets and outlets leading to Dhahian in order to prevent any infiltration to and from the city.”

Sa’ada Governor Yahya Al-Shami assured that government forces are laying siege around Dhahian city to prevent losses among women and children.

“Governorate, security and military leaders decided to lay siege around the city in order to save citizens’ lives, especially women and children. Many citizens fled the city to nearby areas, while others moved to their relatives’ homes in safer locations,” Al-Shami explained.

The governor further noted that 12 Houthis surrendered to army forces this week, adding that, “Authorities have provided food and shelter and equipped temporary camps to receive those displaced residents with no relatives outside Dhahian city.”

Confrontations in Dhahian, which accommodates 25,000 inhabitants in 5,000 homes, have destroyed more than 60 homes and civil facilities. Further, a historic mosque also was destroyed, while water, electricity and other basic services have been cut for two weeks.

Army personnel and volunteers had vacated some Dhahian streets by the middle of this week after four days of fierce fighting, leaving dozens killed or injured on both sides.

Additionally, some areas of Bani Salem in Kittaf district witnessed confrontations on Monday evening and Tuesday, but the results are unclear to date.

Al-Madani killing unclear

Meanwhile, news about killing senior Houthi leader Al-Madani was contradicted. Some sources reported that Yemeni soldiers captured him, while others said the army killed him Tuesday while attacking a Houthi position in Bani Salem’s Braash; however, official sources neither confirmed nor denied such reports.

Al-Najjar killing sparks anger

In related news, more than 3,000 citizens of Kharf, a sub-group of Hashed tribe, last Saturday expressed their anger at the way their relative, Muqbil Al-Najjar, was killed at the hands of some army personnel last Thursday. During his funeral in his home area of Kharf, more than 3,000 citizens expressed their resentment and anger over his death, noting that he was killed via deception and betrayal.

Al-Najjar was killed last Thursday when his house was destroyed by army forces using tank shells while attempting to infiltrate Dhahian on the pretext of searching for Houthi loyalists. Al-Najjar and several others from his area were living in Dhahian because they operate fruit farms and businesses in Sa’ada.

Press reports mentioned that hundreds of Hashed tribesmen are volunteering with army and Sulfi groups to fight against Houthis. Such volunteers mainly are from Uther, Al-Osimat and Habour Dhulimah.

However, Kharf tribal leaders have refused to fight, alleging that the authority didn’t do justice to those who participated in the first and second Sa’ada wars. The tribe’s sons complain about the authority’s negligence, particularly toward those who were killed or injured and in need of medical attention.

One observer commented on Al-Najjar’s death, saying, “The way Al-Najjar was killed in Dhahian proves the futility of war and how it affects the national peace, whereby the killer and the killed are from one tribe and the same family. This is the case with civil war.”

Students killed in Dammaj

The identity of one victim in a Houthi attack targeting a checkpoint near the Dammaj Center for Hadith and Jurisprudence located in Al-Safara district’s Dammaj area south of Sa’ada remains unknown.

Local sources mentioned the killing of two students, one a French student of Algerian origin, and injuring another French student, while the identity of the second victim hasn’t been determined. The same sources added that the French student was buried by his friends in Dammaj Cemetery, while the injured party still is being treated at Al-Salam Hospital in Sa’ada.

Supported by Saudi Arabia, the Dammaj Center was established in the 1980s to teach Sulfi doctrine. The center accommodated students from more than 30 countries before the Sept. 11, 2001 events; however, that number has diminished over the past few years.

Al-Qaddafi hints at mediation

In other Houthi news, Libyan President Moammar Al-Qaddafi pointed out that President Ali Abdullah Saleh requested he invite Member of Parliament Yahya Al-Houthi, who currently is living in Germany, to Libya and mediate between him and President Saleh to stop the war in Sa’ada.

In a live interview with Al-Jazeera satellite channel, Al-Qaddafi recounted, “President Saleh telephoned me and said, ‘Yahya Al-Houthi is abroad. I beg you to call him and invite him to Libya to end this war.’ Before this call, we didn’t know anything about Al-Houthi.”

He added that he summoned the Yemeni MP to Libya, telling him Yemen wanted to end the war in Sa’ada, and Al-Houthi indicated his readiness to do so, but with certain conditions. He maintained that Saleh accepted some conditions, such as releasing detainees, but didn’t accept others. Thus, the war ended and Houthis were happy, Al-Qaddafi noted, referring to the second Sa’ada war.

The Libyan president noted that he was surprised at the war’s resumption due to the intervention of foreign parties. He denied any tension in Yemeni-Libyan relations as evidenced by the recent visit of Libya’s foreign minister to Yemen, as well as a telephone call he had with President Saleh.

He went on to allege that it is the hired newspapers that are claiming his nation’s involvement in the Sa’ada events, not the Yemeni government or President Saleh, further asserting that Libya has no interest in a remote Yemeni area.

“It’s unreasonable. We don’t have any relation with Zaidi doctrine and we have no interest in Yemen’s war,” Al-Qaddafi assured.

He further revealed that Yahya Al-Houthi sent him a new letter requesting he mediate to end the war, adding that he sent the letter to President Saleh and hinted that he would intervene again if Saleh accepts.

In an interview three weeks ago with Al-Hiwar satellite channel, Yahya Al-Houthi referenced Al-Qaddafi’s remarks; however, official media denied such information, harshly attacking him and accusing Al-Hiwar of being a hired channel.

From the very beginning of the war, official media have persisted in alleging Libyan involvement in what’s happening in Sa’ada, accusing Al-Qaddafi of providing military, financial and political support to Houthis. At its first meeting, the Yemeni National Security Council pointed out that it will reconsider relations with any nation supporting Houthis, hinting at Libya and Iran.
Source: Yemen Times.

.:Umniyah:.
03-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Wow SubhanAllah, things are getting out of control and fast over there. May Allah make it easy on them Ameen.

BarakAllahu feeki Amirah.

Maimunah
03-31-2007, 09:01 PM

noooooooooo not when i want to go:( subhanalah may Allah make evrything easy for those people!! subhanalah

IbnAbdulHakim
03-31-2007, 09:50 PM

well mums making me work for at least 2 more years.... lol sabrun jameel!!

Maimunah
03-31-2007, 09:53 PM

well mums making me work for at least 2 more years.... lol sabrun jameel!!
am goin next year inshaAllah, so Alhamdulilaah... am sooo happy... elm here i come inshaAllah. wish u luck bro.

IbnAbdulHakim
03-31-2007, 09:54 PM

Alhamdulillah!

hmm, im going to try to compromise with mum, i might not even live till 2 years! i really want to experience this..

amirah_87
03-31-2007, 10:54 PM

Supported by Saudi Arabia, the Dammaj Center was established in the 1980s to teach Salafi doctrine. The center accommodated students from more than 30 countries before the Sept. 11, 2001 events; however, that number has diminished over the past few years.
SubhanAllah, I never notcied that bit in bold before: :heated: .. Anyhow:

That's INCORRECT, the number of the Tullaab ( students) has multiplied incredibly over the past few years! :rollseyes

Ameen to all duahs.

This has happened before whislt I was over there but the sitaution wasn't as bad and the government had everything under control in no time. I have no idea about what's up right now and it's killing me.. subhanAllah :cry:

anonymous
04-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I was upset to learn what happened at Dammaj recently.

I have two questions:

What is the minimun age that a person attending Dammaj has to be? Can a 14 year old boy attend the institute?

Are the women required to wear a niqab?

amirah_87
04-03-2007, 10:19 PM

I was upset to learn what happened at Dammaj recently.
Na'am subhanAllah.

I have two questions:

What is the minimun age that a person attending Dammaj has to be? Can a 14 year old boy attend the institute?

There is no minimum or maximum age.

The Sheikh advices that Young boys/girls must have a parent or guardian with them.

Are the women required to wear a niqab?
Yes, the women are required to cover themselves from head-to-toe.

Like this:

Beautiful.. :statisfie

Ismahaan
04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
I love Yemen sooo much. I hope to back there again soon inshaallah. My father has roots in Yemen.

Maimunah
04-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Beautiful.. :statisfie
mashaAllah, i can't wait to wear it inshaAllah

Mawaddah
04-05-2007, 11:35 PM

Did you hear any more news about what's going on in Yemen Princess? :?

amirah_87
04-05-2007, 11:46 PM

Did you hear any more news about what's going on in Yemen Princess? :?
Wa alaykum as salaam Darl',

Naah, phone lines are still down. :-\

ravenous
04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

I would like to share my experience in daarul hadith dammaj with the brothers and sisters here, if it may be of any help to them, insha Allah:

ravenoushope.wordpress.com

ravenous
04-10-2007, 10:57 PM
http://ravenoushope.wordpress.com/20...-arabia-felix/

Mawaddah
04-11-2007, 01:20 AM
^ Masha'allah I really really enjoyed reading that letter. Baarakallahu Feeki :)

syilla
04-11-2007, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ravenous
During the 3 days at Abu Waleed’s, I went through a bit of a personal crisis, and I think M was going through one too. No words describe the sheer isolation and simplicity of this place. We were at once thrust back a century and living in the present. The absolute lack of materialism, information, and basic utilities was difficult to cope with. It wasn’t so much the existence of it; we in the west are too informed to plead ignorance that such places still exist, but that we were going to be living in it. For a while, I just didn’t understand what I was going to do. There was no television, no shopping malls, no restaurants, no cars or public transport, nowhere for them to take me, no internet, no radio, no washing machines, no ovens, no flushing toilets…and on and on.

The place made me question my lifestyle, how much fitnah and materialism was in it. Was I wrong for the relative extravagance of my life? I thought I lived simply, and yet this place made me seem overindulgent. I was here to seek knowledge and yet I craved the dunya. But to me, it wasn’t materialism; it was just the basic living standard. I wanted to go home and yet I felt that if on the Day of Judgement, Allah asked me why I left when I came to seek His face, how could I answer that I craved material things. Slowly, life in Damaaj is answering my doubts and my questions.
You remember me when there was no hot water. I can’t be like that here. This place takes a lot of patience. What sustains a person here is to love it for the reasons it would be beloved to Allah, since it is hard to love it with one’s nafs. There’s no need to live in such basic, sub-standard conditions. There’s a hadith in Bulughul Maraam, where one of the Sahaabah asked the Prophet SAW if it is pride to live in a beautiful home, wear nice clothing, and eat good food. The Prophet SAW replied, no, rather it is pride to think oneself better than others because he has these things. And of course, Allah is beautiful, and He loves beauty, and all provision comes from Him. It doesn’t make me a better Muslim because I’m living here; millions of other people live like this, Muslim and non-muslim.
MashaAllah...thank you for sharing with us.

i enjoy it very much :)

amirah_87
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM

MashaAllaah sis that was wonderful,

BaarakAllaahu feeki for sharing that with us.. :statisfie

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-14-2007, 12:49 AM

A brother sent this to me:

Clarifications of what has been fabricated about us by some of the publications and broadcasts

الكاتب: [ أبو مصعب السلفي ]

الإيضاحات لما لفقته علينا بعض الجرائد والإذاعات (بشأن مركز دماج )

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

الحمد لله رب العالمين، والصلاة والسلام على أشرف الأنبياء والمرسلين وبعد:
فقد شاع وذاع بين الناس أن مركز دار الحديث بدماج وطلبة العلم هناك أن ثمة حرب بين الطلاب والرافضة -قاتلهم الله -
وهذا شريط للشيخ يحيى حفظه الله بعنوان الإيضاحات لما لفقته علينا بعض الجرائد والإذاعات.
مظمونه:
أنه لا يوجد حرب بين أهل السنة والرافضة، وغاية ما في الأمر أن اثنين من طلبة العلم صعدوا الجبل الذي يتمركز فيه الرافضة مع أهل البلاد، بدون إذن من الشيخ حفظه الله حيث قال: شطحا وذهبا بدون إذن مني .
فحصل: أن قتل أخ فرنسي -رحمه الله- وجرح آخر فرنسي جزائري -أسأل الله أن يشفية -
والآن لا يوجد شيئ في المركز وهو كالعادة مع أن إخواننا آخذين الاحتياطات اللازمة، لمواجة الرافضة ومن أراد المركز بسوء - أسأل الله أن يدفع عنه وعن سائر بلاد المسلمين كيد الكائدين .
ومن قال أن هناك حرب بين أهل السنة والرافضة فهو كاذب، وقد كفانا الله شرهم بالدولة وفقها الله .

كتبه بيانًا وتطمينا لإخوانه أهل السنة المحبين، وإغاضة للمتربصين والحاقدين أخوكم أبو مصعب السلفي: حسين بن أحمد بن علي الحجوري
مشرف موقع الشيخ يحيى حفظه الله

http://sahab.net/forums/showthread.php?t=346017

Author: Aboo Mus'ab asSsalafee

Clarifications of what has been fabricated about us by some of the publications and broadcasts (i.e. the situation in Dammaaj)

In the name of Allaah the Rahmaan the Raheem

All praise to Allaah, Lord of all creation, and His salaah and salaam upon the noblest of the prophets and messengers, to proceed:

Rumors have been broadcast amongst the people that the Daar al-Hadeeth center in Dammaaj, the students there, and that there is a war between the students and the raafidhah(shee'ah)-Allah fight them-and this recording by Shaykh Yahyaa al-Hajooree, Allaah preserve him, by the title of "Clarifications of what has been fabricated about us by some of the publications and broadcasts".

Its contents (are):

There is definitely no war between Ahlus-Sunnah and the raafidhah, and all that the matter amounted to was that two students climbed the mountain where the raafidhah were concentrated along with the local people; they did so without the permission of the Shaykh,Allaah preserve him, were he said: "They went off and left without my approval.

Then what happened: the French brother was killed-Allah have mercy upon him- and the other, a French Algerian, was wounded-I ask Allaah for his wellbeing.

"Right now, there is no problem at the center and all is as usual, along with the fact that our brothers are taking the proper precautions in the face of the raafidhah, and all those who desire evil for the center- I ask Allaah defend it (Dammaaj) and the rest of the Muslim lands against the plots of the schemers.

And whoever says that there is a war between the People of the Sunnah and the raafidhah, then he is a liar. Allaah has given us enough protection from them through the (Yemenee) government."

Writing this clearly and certainly to his beloved brothers of Ahlus-Sunnah, and doing so despite those who lurk in ambush and spitefully, your brother, Aboo Mus'ab as-Salafee: Husayn bin Ahmad bin Alee al-Hajooree-administrator of Shaykh Yahyaa's site-Allaah preserve him.

amirah_87
04-14-2007, 01:01 AM

JazaakAllaah khayr..

I was awaiting for an update via The sheikh's site, but it seems nothing's been posted up there.

I don't know whether that's due to them not having no internet connection orr something. But khayr!

Those of you who don't have the Link to Sheikh Yahya's site here it is:

http://www.sh-yahia.net/

'Asaahu an yufeedakum/ I hope it's of benefit to you all.

- Qatada -
04-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Subhaan Allaah that was really kool!

We came here in a white Toyota pick-up, which is the standard car for travel. Our driver honked too much and listened to songs with corny lyrics. He took us over several side “roads” to avoid checkpoints. They were rocky, steep, bumpy, and very dusty. I felt like my brained was being rocked around in my skull. On the usual paved roads, there were signs saying “alhamdullillah” for downhill and “subhanallah” for uphill. In some places, there were even signs saying “ittaqillah.” In Arabic, of course.

That part's really funny masha Allaah..

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-17-2007, 03:54 PM

MashaAllah! Reading through this thread I want to go more than ever. My dad heard about the fighting, and he changed his mind about me going now. Please make du'a that the fighting near by stops, so it will be easier for a lot of Muslims to go, inshaAllah.

Thought this might be beneficial for all those who are seriously considering going:

Sheikh Yahya al Hajooree was asked to wirte the conditions for studying in Dammaj. He wrote the following:

All praise is for Allah, in great abundance. I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammed is His slave and messenger.

For that which proceeds:

I was asked recently by way of our brother Sa'eed bin Hubayshan -the individual responsible for Dammaj's website- he requested from me to write the conditions for studying in Dammaj -may Allah have mercy on the individual who built it (Sh. Muqbil bin Hadee). In response to this request I say, it is befitting for one who desires to study in Dammaj:

1- One must be salafee with good character and manners

2- One must be recommended by a scholar upon the sunnah or by way of a student well known to me. If this is not possible, after one reaches (Dammaj) if I notice from him what was mentioned in the first condition, then he will be accepted

3- I should be informed of the individual upon arrival (name, country, etc), and he will be allowed to study. I may also direct him to what I feel is beneficial with regards to his studies (schedule, classes, books, etc)

4- All children under the age of puberty will be rejected, except if there is someone present in Dammaj to take responsibility of them

These are the only conditions placed by me for an individual to study in Dammaj.

:wasalamex

- Qatada -
04-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Maasha Allaah ^ i could never imagine a place like that could exist today.

Everyone should check this inshaa Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/biograph...imahullah.html

ravenous
04-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

There is a further condition for sisters who wish to study in Dammaj. They must have a mahram to take them up and down from Sana'a, as well as to stay with them in Dammaj. Exceptions can be made, but special application must be made to the Shaykh so that he might advise you on your situation. My sisters were not allowed to come and live with me to study, since they would've had no mahram with them.

Generally, sisters who stay in Dammaj are advised to marry.

Rufaidah
04-18-2007, 03:31 AM
السلام عليكم والرحمه والاكرااااام

:smile: احمد ربي اني يمنية :smile:

You all are welcome 2 visit my lovely country .. :)

في امان الله
سبحانك اللهم وبحمدك اشهد ان لا اله الا انت استغفرك واتوب اليك

Nawal89
04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

There is a further condition for sisters who wish to study in Dammaj. They must have a mahram to take them up and down from Sana'a, as well as to stay with them in Dammaj. Exceptions can be made, but special application must be made to the Shaykh so that he might advise you on your situation. My sisters were not allowed to come and live with me to study, since they would've had no mahram with them.

Generally, sisters who stay in Dammaj are advised to marry.
There were a few single sisters in Dammaj when i was there who made hijrah there.As far as I knew the sheikh had no problem with it, and didnt push them to marry either. Is that not allowed now also?

umm-sulaim
04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
When last we asked (2 months ago almost) sheikh Yahya allowed some sisters from Ethiopia to come to Damaaj n stay because there was some da'wah money that was sent for sisters in Dammaaj alhamdulillah...wallahu a3lam.

wassalaam

syilla
04-19-2007, 01:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah

MashaAllah! Reading through this thread I want to go more than ever. My dad heard about the fighting, and he changed his mind about me going now. Please make du'a that the fighting near by stops, so it will be easier for a lot of Muslims to go, inshaAllah.

Thought this might be beneficial for all those who are seriously considering going:

Sheikh Yahya al Hajooree was asked to wirte the conditions for studying in Dammaj. He wrote the following:

All praise is for Allah, in great abundance. I bear witness that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammed is His slave and messenger.

For that which proceeds:

I was asked recently by way of our brother Sa'eed bin Hubayshan -the individual responsible for Dammaj's website- he requested from me to write the conditions for studying in Dammaj -may Allah have mercy on the individual who built it (Sh. Muqbil bin Hadee). In response to this request I say, it is befitting for one who desires to study in Dammaj:

1- One must be salafee with good character and manners

2- One must be recommended by a scholar upon the sunnah or by way of a student well known to me. If this is not possible, after one reaches (Dammaj) if I notice from him what was mentioned in the first condition, then he will be accepted

3- I should be informed of the individual upon arrival (name, country, etc), and he will be allowed to study. I may also direct him to what I feel is beneficial with regards to his studies (schedule, classes, books, etc)

4- All children under the age of puberty will be rejected, except if there is someone present in Dammaj to take responsibility of them

These are the only conditions placed by me for an individual to study in Dammaj.

:wasalamex

lol...edited...i thought all children are not allowed. i misread. :-[

lanam
04-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Asalamu alaikoum! I have read this thread with GREAT interest masha'Allah! Begging my husband now for us to go..Insha'Allah ya rab!

I do have some questions..I know they may seem petty but they are some of the few things that had me tossin and turning in my sleep last night (after reading the thread)

1. Can we relax the niqab or take it off altogether once we are in class?

2. Are there flushing type toilets?

3. My kids are young, 4 and 1 1/2, is there anything for them to do? Of course I'd want them to attend classes as well but how much of a disturbance would others consider them to be? (my older one is not rambunctious, but the younger one is little and loves to explore) or do they just generally play with other kids in teh village during non-class hours?

4. what bout emergencies? is there ambulance services or clinic in case anyone gets really sick ? (we tend to go for natural rememdies anyway but some cases you really need expert help)

5. are there midwives around? or do most women just assist each other in labour/birth ?

6. are there any other bigger towns/cities where jobs would be available? (we dont have savings and would need some ongoing income to let's say, eat?lol)

7. Is there internet or phone access in the village/in your own home if u choose to? to keep in touch with family etc

8. how come you dont have to pay for electricity/water? who pays it? is it *running* water or is it more like you have to go get it ? also for electricity, is it off or on most of the time?

9. do you have to build or can we rent? and which is advised for a family of 4? is there homes avail. for sale without having to buy the land first?

10. how do we cook? would we be able to purchase a stove from sana?

11. In general, is it a friendly-, takes-a-village-to-raise-a-child atmosphere? ie. do the sisters help each other out? cook together, spend time socializing etc withthe kids as well?

12. for private arabic or quran classes what is the general cost?

13. where would we get clothing? I'd bring some with me for the next year insha'Allah but if we decided to stay longer, the kids grow so fast, is there somewhere close by? could I also bring my sewing machine..is the electricity 'strong' enough to handle that?

can't think of anything else at the moment but i'm sure i'll be back insha'Allah.
jazak Allahu khairn in advance!

Mawaddah
04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
[Asalamu alaikoum! I have read this thread with GREAT interest masha'Allah! Begging my husband now for us to go..Insha'Allah ya rab!

Insha'allah sis!! :D

1. Can we relax the niqab or take it off altogether once we are in class?

The lessons are all segregated, so yes, the niqab is taken off in class because it's just all women there :)

2. Are there flushing type toilets?

If you want a flushing type toilet you can just put it in your house when you build insha'allah, otherwise they are not that common.

3. My kids are young, 4 and 1 1/2, is there anything for them to do? Of course I'd want them to attend classes as well but how much of a disturbance would others consider them to be? (my older one is not rambunctious, but the younger one is little and loves to explore) or do they just generally play with other kids in teh village during non-class hours?
They have many many classes for little ones, and children as young as 4 attend them. If you have any younger children, you can take them along with you to your classes, just bring something for them to play with or something to keep them occupied. You will see many sisters bringing their little ones along with them to class, it's not a problem. And during non class hours, yes, the kids play with the others on the streets lol.

4. what bout emergencies? is there ambulance services or clinic in case anyone gets really sick ? (we tend to go for natural rememdies anyway but some cases you really need expert help)
There isn't an ambulance, but there is a clinic right in the village which provides all basic medical needs.

5. are there midwives around? or do most women just assist each other in labour/birth ?
They have many midwives.

6. are there any other bigger towns/cities where jobs would be available? (we dont have savings and would need some ongoing income to let's say, eat?lol)
That's the problem, there are no jobs in Dammaj and the nearest city is like 1/2 an hours drive away (Sa'da), but I dont know whether foreigners take up jobs there? most usually it is in Sana'a the capital which is a 6 hours drive away.

7. Is there internet or phone access in the village/in your own home if u choose to? to keep in touch with family etc
Sure, there's internet and phone :) however right now because of the war things are cut off, insha'allah they will be restoring it soon.

8. how come you dont have to pay for electricity/water? who pays it? is it *running* water or is it more like you have to go get it ? also for electricity, is it off or on most of the time?

The electricity is a donation from the people who provide the generator. And as for the water.......well....It's not controlled by the gov'ment or anything, the villagers just dig a big well and hook up a pump and then you just fix up your own water connections. The electricity is not on for all hours, during the day it is off, but then it turns on at maghrib time and stays on until like 11pm.

Nuseyba bintkab
04-26-2007, 02:58 PM
wow i want to go to

lanam
04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
jazak Allahukhairn sis!
thought of something else..
what about banks? would i be able to go say once a month to get money from my account in Canada?

also, 1/2 hour drive is not too bad..hubby commutes more than that now..i guess I could check it out..jazak Allahu khairn

lanam
04-26-2007, 04:40 PM
sorry also whats the weather like? would i have to pack winter clothes too?

ravenous
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM
10. how do we cook? would we be able to purchase a stove from sana?
You would purchase a gas stove from Sana'a, the prices vary, but you can get a full cooking range with an oven if you wanted. However, you would have to keep in mind that stoves run on gas canisters, so an oven would take a lot of gas. Most families have a traditional tandoor oven, which can also be purchased in Sana'a. I would also recommend a pressure cooker, buy one here, if you can. Most lentils and beans there require the extra help!

11. In general, is it a friendly-, takes-a-village-to-raise-a-child atmosphere? ie. do the sisters help each other out? cook together, spend time socializing etc withthe kids as well?
The camaradarie amongst the sisters is excellent, masha Allah, and they become like your family. I have many fond memories of the sisters there, as I'm sure they all do. I love them all for the sake of Allah. You may find that you will mostly socialize with other foreign sisters, however, until you begin to pick up more of the language. Nonetheless, the Yemenis are friendly and very neighbourly. My Yemeni neighbours used to invite me over in the evenings for tea and a chat. I used to look forward to it and I miss it still.

12. for private arabic or quran classes what is the general cost?
Tuition is free, alhamdullillah. The only condition is that when you are eventually able to teach other sisters, you teach, and that is the only exchange for learning from other sisters!
13. where would we get clothing? I'd bring some with me for the next year insha'Allah but if we decided to stay longer, the kids grow so fast, is there somewhere close by? could I also bring my sewing machine..is the electricity 'strong' enough to handle that?
I know a sister who had a sewing machine, but she did have a generator in her house, so I believe she powered it on that. The generators run on gasoline, so it won't be cheap. Clothing is generally of a poor quality. I sew as well, so when I was in Sana'a, I would look for material with which to sew. Unfortunately, the only decent material tends to be either for men's thobes or for women's wedding dresses. The rest of it is usually polyesters of very cheap quality and design. I would suggest that if you can, you arrange to have family members or friends send parcels of clothing periodically.

You asked about banks. There are no banks in Dammaj, and I believe there is one in Sa'ada, but it is very very unlikely that you will ever go there, unless you are of Somali or Yemeni descent, since Sa'ada is not considered safe for foreigners (many have been caught and arrested there). Sana'a is safer, and you have several international banks there, from which you can withdraw American currency (greenbacks are king in Yemen). Since the drive is four hours away, and very expensive for foreigners, you won't likely make the trip very often. I recommend that your husband find out from someone in the city what are the current prices like in Dammaj (since they fluctuate) and withdraw money accordingly. Exchange about half of it at a currency place in Sana'a (try to get 500 rial notes instead of 1000 rial notes). Leave the rest in American dollars, since it is most stable that way, and once you exchange currency into rials, you tend to make a loss on it. The rate is 190 Yemeni Rials to 1 American dollar, give or take a few rials

ravenous
04-27-2007, 05:07 PM
As for winter clothes, I would recommend packing loads of thick socks and sweaters. Layering is key in Yemen. The climate is generally mild and warm, but in the winters the air has a definite bite. The important thing is to protect the children's heads and chests from the cold. It's different from Canadian cold, which only hits the skin. The cold in Yemen gets into the bones. Long sleeves are really important, as the sun is strong, but make sure to buy most of the children's clothes in light colours. This deters sunlight and mosquitoes and also makes insect easy to spot.

Also, make sure to get MOSQUITO NETS!!!! lol...the sisters who remember me will remember that I learned that the hard way

04-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Do you know of any summer (arabic in particular) courses in Yemen (Sanaa)? How long are they and when do they start? And how much do you learn by the end of it?

Also if there is a website i would be grateful :statisfie

Jazakallah khair in advance :)

*!~Faith~!*
04-28-2007, 02:26 AM

There are a couple in Sana'a:

http://www.sialyemen.com/
http://www.arabicinyemen.com/
http://www.y.net.ye/cales/welcome.htm

amirah_87
04-28-2007, 04:00 PM

The electricity is a donation from the people who provide the generator. And as for the water.......well....It's not controlled by the gov'ment or anything, the villagers just dig a big well and hook up a pump and then you just fix up your own water connections. The electricity is not on for all hours, during the day it is off, but then it turns on at maghrib time and stays on until like 11pm.
.... That's in the Mezra'ah.

In some places in the Maktabah a few people have bought "Motors/Generators" so they charge you denpending on how many light bulbs and all you have in your house.
These Motors go on just before Maghrib and turn off at around 11pm.

It's really cheap though, It's approx 1,000-2,000YR's a month.

Orr what's happened recently is; that at some parts the Motor runs 24hours a day, minus the three times the sheikh's lesson's on.. and that's for 1,500yr's a month.

(360 Yemeni Riyals = 1 Pound.)

ravenous
04-28-2007, 05:19 PM
In regards to finances, if you are planning on living there for a long time, and not going to have financial assistance from anyone back home, think of money like a yemeni. What's expensive for a yemeni, is expensive for you. Food, when translated from yemeni currency into dollars is actually more expensive in yemen, and it will possibly end up to be your most significant expense. Also, if you are planning on eventually leaving Yemen, remember that you will pay a hefty fine to leave, there is a way to get it reduced, but it won't be by much, because they want your money. be practical in your expenses.

ravenous
04-28-2007, 05:20 PM
i meant to say that food is more expensive in yemen than it is in north america.

- Qatada -
04-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Is the fine like a bribe because they know you're going back to the west?

ravenous
04-29-2007, 07:31 PM
no, it's just a fine, it applies to anyone who lives in the country without a visa. But it is somewhat of a catch, since they will never give you a visa. Actually, in retrospect, it's cheaper to pay the fine than to buy a visa. Also, if you enter through "legitimate" means by applying at a mahad, the mahad will take your passport from you (which is illegal under international law) but you don't have any choice in that. They won't let you leave the mahad to go to Dammaj, because when you do, they lose money. Several brothers we've known actually had to run away from the mahads they were studying at. So it's a bit of a catch.

The mahads don't actually have any organized classes, and many of the brothers who paid premium fees to attend the mahads ended up having private lessons (for free) with students from Dammaj. I taught one such sister whilst I was in Yemen because although the mahad had promised her a tutor, they didn't deliver on that.

Yemen is not a culture that deals with bureaucracy well. This is why Dammaj is so successful there, because it eliminates all forms of administration and bureaucracy. It is set up in a very old-fashioned way, masha Allah, may Allah increase the students there with ilm, and fill their hearts with ikhlaas.

For those looking for more formal avenues of study, Egypt is probably the better choice. From what I've heard from students who have lived in both countries, it is also cheaper.

- Qatada -
04-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Jazaak Allaah khayr.

Is Damaaj also changing and becoming more modern quickly now? Since you mentioned once that they have swimming pools there aswell in some houses? If it becomes modern - it will lose that classical and rural aspect to it, but wouldn't that be more of an advantage in some ways since there would be less of a culture shock and some aspects of life would become easier inshaa Allaah.

But i've noticed that the places where 'modern society' catches up, alot of the barakah is lost from there. Allaahu a'lam if thats true.

ravenous
04-29-2007, 10:54 PM
lol...there will always be a culture shock. modern in dammaj is not like modern in dubai. consider that sana'a is what the rest of the world was 100 years ago, with the exception of mobile phones and internet. so dammaj is still trying to catch up to that. it never will really, since most yemenis are tied very strongly to their roots, and they love the village life. Alhamdullillah, dammaj is unique because of the student life there, and no matter how much it changes, it will never change in that aspect, insha Allah.

Also, I know that some say that there are swimming pools there, but one must keep in mind that this is a desert country. at times, in the village, we go without water for days. this is customary in all arab countries, so although you may have a pool, it will stand dry quite often. Water is a commodity in Arab countries. And though the Dammajis are blessed to be able to dig more wells than most villages around them, you will still never be able to consume water as you do in the west.

From what I have heard, it has changed very dramatically since my stay there. it is easier to get a hold of american food products, like ketchup and mustard, since the yemenis have caught on to our tastes, and have started to bring those products in.

By the way, if any of you would like to get a look at dammaj on google earth, enter the following co-ordinates in to the "Fly to" section of the search bar: " 16.8931, 43.8072" It should take you to the location of Dammaj.

amirah_87
05-01-2007, 05:24 PM

By the way, if any of you would like to get a look at dammaj on google earth, enter the following co-ordinates in to the "Fly to" section of the search bar: " 16.8931, 43.8072" It should take you to the location of Dammaj.

SubhanAllah Sis, You know how many times I searched for it on Google earth, but it would never come up.

MashaAllah, it looks so beautiful from a birdseye view. I was even able to locate our house. :statisfie

Jazaakillah khayr.

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 05:28 PM
^ :eek: I saw our house tooooooooooo Masha'allah Masha'allah And Ahmad Dammaji still has that land behind our house empty!! :eek: and I see they are growing stuff in it Masha'allah. And I see our big field we had next to our house!! :giggling: It's still there Masha'allah, I missed going there and picnicking with Dalaal between the wheat :D

Can't wait to go back :cry:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-01-2007, 05:33 PM

^ Where's the great white building? There's two white buildings I think :confused:

amirah_87
05-01-2007, 05:34 PM

I doubt that's the current way it looks right now Maw!! lol It's more packed apparently! :phew

But hey, subhanAllah they even got the big old school bus on there! :eek:

And hey you see our Waadii! and the fields we used to go to! :D

Aaaah!

And then there's that Dawm tree we used to go picking dawm from.. :D

And 'amm Misfir's shop!

:cry:

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
^ Erm, dont you see two wide white buildings ? Those are the Masjid, the other smaller white/silverish long buildings scattered around are chicken farms :giggling:

amirah_87
05-01-2007, 05:35 PM

^ Where's the great white building? There's two white buildings I think :confused:
Wa alaykum as salaam,

The main Masjid you mean?

Go to these Coordinates inshaAllah: 16°53'39.02"N

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM

^ Yeah I was trying to figure out which one's the masjid shown in the other pics on this thread lol. Jazakillah Khayr!

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM

I doubt that's the current way it looks right now Maw!! lol It's more packed apparently! :phew

But hey, subhanAllah they even got the big old school bus on there! :eek:

And hey you see our Waadii! and the fields we used to go to! :D

Aaaah!

And then there's that Dawm tree we used to go picking dawm from.. :D

And 'amm Misfir's shop!

:cry:
Are you serious kay???

Because when I saw it I was like Ya Subhanallah!! it hasn't changed much after all!! I was so happy!! :'( :'(

You say it's more crowded than that? I"m sad all over again now :cry:

I'm so afraid of all my fields being wiped away and replace by houses :cry:

I see the dawm tree kay :D and you see the Mountains we used to climb :D remember when we saw Shaheedah walking down the road and we yelled down to her from the top of the mountain and everyone who was on the road going to the Sheikhs class looked around and stared? :giggling:

Umar001
05-01-2007, 05:40 PM
If someone is planning to buy land, then how do I make sure noone takes it away from me. Like say I leave the country for abit?

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 05:42 PM
^ YOu would have to make an agreement with the landlord.

Like my dad he bought loads of land, and he paid for it, but when we left, the landlords confiscated the land again....except for one that is.

And besides, in Dammaj , land never becomes truly 'yours' you just pay for it and it becoems yours for the amount of time that you stay there, and if you leave it goes back to the original owners.

amirah_87
05-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Lol.. shush man! I remember that! :D

I'm trying to locate the Jinn Mountain. :p I never got to go up there! :mmokay:

I gotta take you on a tour of all the new bits sometime inshaAllah ;)

There's still plenty of fields still there, don't worry! :)

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 05:47 PM

Lol.. shush man! I remember that! :D

I'm trying to locate the Jinn Mountain. :p I never got to go up there! :mmokay:

I gotta take you on a tour of all the new bits sometime inshaAllah ;)

There's still plenty of fields still there, don't worry! :)
I had a chance to go up the Jinn Mountain but I was too scared :-[

They say that if you go up there you can hear the Jinns whispering and all of that, is it true :exhausted

:lol: and Kay, I dont think Dammaj needs a tourguide, but still, it'll be so fun if we can scour it top to bottom like we used to do together innit :p

amirah_87
05-01-2007, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
If someone is planning to buy land, then how do I make sure noone takes it away from me. Like say I leave the country for abit?

And when your buying land, make sure your land owner is a trustworthy one!! :blind:

There are a few who aren't students of knowldge who con people real bad.
Wallahul musta'aan.

And also watch out for the new landowner trend!

"The land is yours! but the roof is mine.." (meaning he's gonna sell the roof so other people could build on top :blind: )

amirah_87
05-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I had a chance to go up the Jinn Mountain but I was too scared :-[

They say that if you go up there you can hear the Jinns whispering and all of that, is it true :exhausted

:lol: and Kay, I dont think Dammaj needs a tourguide, but still, it'll be so fun if we can scour it top to bottom like we used to do together innit :p
Hehehe nooo course it's not! :offended:

We were told: No one's made it to the top alive! :eek:

& u see the people dropping off like flies before they make it to the top..

But that's just A Dammaaji Myth.. *I hope* :phew

Mawaddah

And also watch out for the new landowner trend!

"The land is yours! but the roof is mine.." (meaning he's gonna sell the roof so other people could build on top :blind: )
My Dad was appalled when he heard of that, what rubbish is that!

Umm Yoosuf

Jinn Mountain
:eek:

Come again? Whats that place?

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 05:54 PM
^ :lol: It's called Jinn mountain because it looks so mysterious, all black with clouds around it all the time, and people say that it's like Jinn country

amirah_87
05-01-2007, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah

:eek:

Come again? Whats that place?
Lol it's just something used to scare the newbies, it doesn't exist.

well the mountain does, but the jinn story don't. :)

Although that mountain always gave me the creeps, it looked so eerie. & it was the only mountain that had a foggy cloud around it's summit! :uuh:

Umar001
05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
And besides, in Dammaj , land never becomes truly 'yours' you just pay for it and it becoems yours for the amount of time that you stay there, and if you leave it goes back to the original owners.
What if I build a house and rent it then noone can take it from me right?

Or what if I buy land and go back to get money to build on it then I come back and someone's taken it even though I had a contract, is there police? Or wil I have to take law into my hands. :phew

Umm Yoosuf
05-01-2007, 05:59 PM
La hawla walaa quwwata illa billah.

Freaky!

When you going back? Next year?

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 06:02 PM
What if I build a house and rent it then noone can take it from me right?

Or what if I buy land and go back to get money to build on it then I come back and someone's taken it even though I had a contract, is there police? Or wil I have to take law into my hands. :phew
Okay first of all, the issue about you renting your house and all of that will have to be settled with your landlord, and just pray to Allah you have a good one because whatever the landlord says goes, and some of them may take your house when you leave and rent it and take the money for themselve and when you come back charge you money to get your own home back Allahul Musta'aan.

So yes, it's between you and The Man lol.

And In Dammaj there is no police, and also the Sheikh has no say over matters as he is not a Dammaji, so it's you on your own and the goodwill of the landlord insha'allah he'll have plenty. The best thing to do when it comes to this land is get contacts. Buy the land thru someone who is on good terms with the owner of the land, that way you'll be safe.

Wallahu A'lam.

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 06:03 PM
La hawla walaa quwwata illa billah.

Freaky!

When you going back? Next year?
Freaky indeedy!

And yes, Next year insha'allah :D

Wanna come with me?

Princess wont be coming with me she says :cry:

Umm Yoosuf
05-01-2007, 06:06 PM
If you could put me in your suitcase! I plan to going Medina one day Insha Allah :)

Umar001
05-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Okay first of all, the issue about you renting your house and all of that will have to be settled with your landlord, and just pray to Allah you have a good one because whatever the landlord says goes, and some of them may take your house when you leave and rent it and take the money for themselve and when you come back charge you money to get your own home back Allahul Musta'aan.

So yes, it's between you and The Man lol.

And In Dammaj there is no police, and also the Sheikh has no say over matters as he is not a Dammaji, so it's you on your own and the goodwill of the landlord insha'allah he'll have plenty. The best thing to do when it comes to this land is get contacts. Buy the land thru someone who is on good terms with the owner of the land, that way you'll be safe.

Wallahu A'lam.
Hmm ok, if worse comes to worse I can live in the streets, I mean they wudnt remove me from under a tree or something right?

- Qatada -
05-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Hmm ok, if worse comes to worse I can live in the streets, I mean they wudnt remove me from under a tree or something right?

If you're single you can live in the Masjid inshaa Allaah :)

AHMED_GUREY
05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Unlike Sana'a or any other major Yemeni city, Damaaj doesn't have streetlights so if one of your brothers or cousins who carry the flashlights forget you at the mosque in the evening your walking blind all the way home :D

lol how many times i mistook a lost dog for a hyena whoA!!:exhausted(got spoonfed with heyna stories just because i was new and gullible)

But i love Yemen definitly going back to visit my sister Insha-allah :D

Mawaddah
05-01-2007, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
Unlike Sana'a or any other major Yemeni city, Damaaj doesn't have streetlights so if one of your brothers or cousins who carry the flashlights forget you at the mosque in the evening your walking blind all the way home :D

lol how many times i mistook a lost dog for a hyena whoA!!:exhausted(got spoonfed with heyna stories just because i was new and gullible)

But i love Yemen definitly going back to visit my sister Insha-allah :D
What a thing to remember! this part of Dammaj had totally slipped my mind. But the Mazra'a do have a few street lights here and there? but yes, walking home is really scary......and they do have hyenas there what are you talking about bro? One of them used to come and fight dogs under my window at night:skeleton: and the Dammajis hunt them and eat them too! It's not a tale...

Nawal89
05-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I thought all those hyena stories were true! :omg: :omg: Yemenis always told me that they eat hyena if they want something special. :omg: :omg:

They have street lights in the mazra3ah tho, so its not dark there. I dont know if they put them on the way to the maktabah yet? I remmeber i used to loooove to walk from the maktabah on the nights with full moon without a flashlight. Everything just seems so different and lovely :p.

AHMED_GUREY
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
What a thing to remember! this part of Dammaj had totally slipped my mind. But the Mazra'a do have a few street lights here and there? but yes, walking home is really scary......and they do have hyenas there what are you talking about bro? One of them used to come and fight dogs under my window at night:skeleton: and the Dammajis hunt them and eat them too! It's not a tale...
i thought they were only in the mountain areas,:phew in my whole stay there i hadn't seen one alxamdulilah :skeleton: but yeah them few dogs i did see at night did the same psychological damage:D :D

Hyena's after the ''Lion'' have the strongest bite in Africa so there not the type you want to meet in the evening :)

Umar001
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

If you're single you can live in the Masjid inshaa Allaah :)
Wa aleykum salam wa rhametulahi wa berektu,

For real?? That's be amazing.

Or I could stay up most of the night and make the sleep up between lessons.

Nawal89
05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
^Loads of single brothers who dont have a place to stay sleep in the masjid. :) But its nicer to have yoru own place of course..

Umar001
05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^Loads of single brothers who dont have a place to stay sleep in the masjid. :) But its nicer to have yoru own place of course..
Of course it is but you know until Allah provides we survive.

seeker_of_ilm
05-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Maaan, I so badly wish to be at one of the Daar-ul Hadeeths. I'm struggling to have the patience to wait. Yemen sounds like such an awesome place to study.

Umar001
05-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Maaan, I so badly wish to be at one of the Daar-ul Hadeeths. I'm struggling to have the patience to wait. Yemen sounds like such an awesome place to study.

Wa aleykum salam wa rhametullah,

Well prepare yourself akhi, trust me you dont wanna get out there and then say you cant hack it.

Prepare yourself from now for the worst, so that if it turns out better than thats a blessing.

ravenous
05-03-2007, 02:31 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

Jinn Mountain is actually the highest peak in Yemen, it's identified on most major atlases and globes. If you do eventually go up there, you'll find it very difficult to breathe because of the elevation. There aren't any jinns up there, but there are graves around the foot of the mountain, where egyptian soldiers, who came to fight the communists in the seventies, are are buried. It used to be their outpost during the civil war. You can still find their homes in the nearby village.

Single brothers can live in the Masjid, but the extremely poor sanitation and hygiene will be beyond the stomach of most westerners, so you will most likely end up sharing accomodations with other single brothers, or getting a "ghurfah," a single room, with a closet sized washroom.

The population in Dammaj has greatly increased since any of us were there, apparently, but it seems that foreigners come in cycles, and the current crop are mostly Americans. And by the way, they have streetlights in most places now!

amirah_87
06-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Update:

The situation in Dammaaj/Yemen has settled down walhamdulillaah. People are found to be entering and exiting with not so much of a problem (that's with the Yemeni & Somalis; other foreigners always will and still have that problem).

Phone lines are still down though.

And by the way, they have streetlights in most places now!
Yup that's Right alhamdulillaah. :)

Umar001
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
So what's the drill, I mean, if someone is setting out to there, where would they go first, what city and then from there where and what documents do they neeed and would they have to have transport or walk or what?

Seriously we need this type of information.

Anyone who gives this type of info will get a prize curtosy of Al Madani

amirah_87
06-05-2007, 08:00 PM

If someone's setting out firstly they've got to get past the airport which is real tricky because the people who run it are either Jews or shiah who do not like Ahlus-sunnah!
So when they see you (dressed in the way of the sunnah) they'd be all like: Lookit this Mutawwa' (religious/practisin man) where are you going? Muqbil's Camp!! *sn-igger sn-igger* :rollseyes

You've got to bluff your way through and tell them you're just here for a few weeks or so visiting the country as a tourist. (That's what we said).

If they do suspect that you're headed there, they'd send you back on the next flight home. Which has happened quite a number of times with single people and even families all wanting to head out there.

It also might be a good idea if you know someone there, so you could say you're visiting so & so, and give them their details.

If you get past step 1, then it's fairly easy after that. You'd go to Jaami'al Khair, A Masjid in the Sanaa' and you'd ask them for a personal driver to take you to Dammaaj(When ever you're ready to head out).
You'd hire out your own pick up truck which is roughly around $50.00 for that 6 hour ride journey. It's more expensive than the normal coaches that head out to Dammaaj because with foreigners we'd have to use the back door (the mountainious route) rather than the front door where you go through the check points.

You don't really need any documents, Just a visa for when you reach the airport.

ummAbdillah
06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
sisters jazakallah khayr for all the info about Damaaj
Amirah inshallah i will see you there after i finish my A-levels :) Inshallah Inshallah
with Ruwaydah

amirah_87
06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Wa alaykum as salaam Aisha,

Wa Iyyaki sis, If you have any questions: post 'em right up ;)

And Yesh, it'll be nice to meet up there Bi'ithnillaah :statisfie

AHMED_GUREY
06-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Off-topic

NPC Launches Ambitious Red Sea Crossing

Acting on endorsements and pledges of land from the president of Yemen and the president of the African nation of Djibouti,a Dubai-based developer has tapped an American firm to build a bridge across the Red Sea.

Middle East Development LLC on April 25 issued a notice-to-proceed to Noor City Development Corp., Napa, Calif. It authorizes Noor City, as sole agent, "to proceed with the planning, development, construction and management of the bridge between Yemen and Djibouti."

MED is chaired by Tarek M. Bin Laden. His second-generation company, a powerhouse of construction in the Middle East, labors under the dark reputation of Bin Laden's notorious half-brother, Osama Bin Laden. While Osama's name is an anathema to much of the world, the greater Bin Laden family has a long history of driving major construction and development in the region. Its work continues today with signature projects throughout the region. Tarek Bin Laden turns aside questions about his half brother, saying he has no contact with him and no knowledge of his whereabouts.

The newly formed Noor City Development Corp. is led by Tariq E. Ayyad, president. Ayyad is also president of ShareChive LLC, San Francisco, a technology firm with patented systems for delivering constantly refreshed project data to mobile computers on jobsites, with an emphasis on highway and large infrastructure. Ayyad is an American of Kuwaiti extraction, a civil engineer, construction manager and a former bridge engineer with the California Dept. of Transportation.

Ayyad says MED's goal is to create economic opportunity and stability on both sides of the Red Sea by tying in the bridge to new rail and road construction hubs and networks in Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

"MED is a developer. They want to create jobs, they want to move products," Ayyad says. "It is very, very critical to connect the African nations and their products and crops right to the Middle East. The Middle East is extremely wealthy in money and oil, but we lack quite a lot of crops and services."

Noor City is forming an international commission to refine concepts for a design/build/operate/transfer concession to create the rail and highway crossing. Concepts developed by Danish engineering firm COWI envision a 28.5 km crossing with a suspension span over the Bab al Mendab Straits.

Phase I will likely be a 3.5 km leap to the Yemeni island of Perim and a 4 km land link to the western channel. Phase II may be broken into several contracts for the 21.5 km transit to Djibouti, which will include 13 km of suspension bridge and 8 km of girder bridge. Cost is estimated at between $10 billion and $20 billion, depending on design, project organization and financing. Construction would take seven to nine years.

"If you open up to this [transportation system that provides access into the heart of Africa] then you can create jobs by moving products, moving services," Ayyad says. "You can ignite economic development just by the transportation element. The bridge is really critical."

Source:eek:

Umar001
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Wallahi, if I get stuck in africa Im gonna run away to Dammaj insha'Allah I'd make it.

- Qatada -
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Wallahi, if I get stuck in africa Im gonna run away to Dammaj insha'Allah I'd make it.

get a camel too :D and a fish just incase you need to ride the sea.. and get an action man suit incase you need to erm.. nah 4get dat :p

Umar001
06-07-2007, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

get a camel too :D and a fish just incase you need to ride the sea.. and get an action man suit incase you need to erm.. nah 4get dat :p
Wa Aleykum Salam Wa Rhametullahi Wa Berekatu,

I heard on the EriTV programme about how the president was settling some stuff with Yemen about some Alp...something Islands, anyone, I'd have to swim or catch a boat there then sneak in.

Umm Yoosuf
06-08-2007, 02:30 PM

Its save to go there now isn't?

Umar001
06-08-2007, 02:33 PM
You mean safe not save as in inexpensive right?

AHMED_GUREY
06-09-2007, 05:44 PM
:D lol insha-allah brother!

Its save to go there now isn't?
My sister is there and it's safe according to her:)

beautiful isn't it?:D

youngsister
06-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow I feel like not going to Uni and just go there instead:cry:
Oh Well Isha Allah I will get to go there one day, beautiful:)

AHMED_GUREY
06-09-2007, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister
Wow I feel like not going to Uni and just go there instead:cry:
Oh Well Isha Allah I will get to go there one day, beautiful:)
Insha-allah you will sister and continue your studies:)

ummAbdillah
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Sis Amirah, who looks after the children for mothers when they attend the lessons? are they allowed to bring the children?
This doesn't concern me at the moment :D i just want more info if you can please.
Jazakillah khayr :)

Nawal89
06-09-2007, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister-aisha
Sis Amirah, who looks after the children for mothers when they attend the lessons? are they allowed to bring the children?
This doesn't concern me at the moment :D i just want more info if you can please.
Jazakillah khayr :)
Most mothers bring their children to class and take care of them too. They come loaded with snacks lol, usually the children go outside to play. If the child isnt walking yet i've seen them just bring some toys or something.
But yeah children are allowed in the classes with their mothers.
Sometimes i used to bring my baby brother to class to show him off since he was so cute :p He never made any fuss alhamdulilah :)

ummAbdillah
06-10-2007, 09:26 PM
^^ wow mashallah, thanks for your reply :)

Nasir-as-somali
06-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Asalamu alaikum

Brothers and Sisters, i read most of this post, and eerrmm basicly im going to Damaj next week insha'allah.....

So i wanted to ask some Questions to the peeps thats been dere and done dat hehehehehehe......

As for books and all, how can one do their research and other then Shayk Yahya Haarooji (Sorry for spelling mistakes in dat), who else teaches there.....

and is internet available dere, cus i need 2 check my results for uni in da middle of my trip.....

Jazakullahu Kheiran

ummAbdillah
06-16-2007, 11:56 AM

^ do you recognise that place sis :) its too beauuutiful.

Nasir-as-somali
06-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Brothers and Sisters, i read most of this post, and eerrmm basicly im going to Damaj next week insha'allah.....

So i wanted to ask some Questions to the peeps thats been dere and done dat hehehehehehe......

As for books and all, how can one do their research and other then Shayk Yahya Haarooji (Sorry for spelling mistakes in dat), who else teaches there.....

and is internet available dere, cus i need 2 check my results for uni in da middle of my trip.....

Jazakullahu Kheiran

umm-sulaim
06-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Walykum salaam wa Rahmatullaah,

wow tabaaraka Allaah you're goin', may Allaah make your knowledge beneficial to yourself n others, n don't forget us in ur du'aas!

yh besides the sheikh (al-hajoori) n the other teachers/students of knowledge alhamdulillaah they have a library maasha'Allaah n in 2005 it was extended so alhamdulillaah resources r plentiful,
There are a few internet shops in Dammaaj n a few people choose to get the connection to their house and they buy the PC from san'aa, nowadays people bring their laptops though..

Hope that helps

wassalaamu alaykum

Have Faith
06-16-2007, 01:01 PM
sister-aisha .. i ques thats damaaj .. no i cant actually recognize it ..cos never went to damaaj ... :cry: but inshallah soon i will be goin ..

when i went yemen last year .. i went to other cities .. ( san'a , aden, taiz)
and aden is beautifull aswelll !!!:statisfie .. cant wait to go back .. (its got beautifull beaches, nice buildings.. etc)

ummAbdillah
06-16-2007, 05:21 PM
lol i know is dammaj :) I was asking if she can recognize that particular mosque. I was asking Amirah. Sis Have-Faith you went to yeman? that's cool Mashallah :) :w:

Have Faith
06-16-2007, 07:46 PM
yeah went to saudia during ramadan .. and after ramadan went to yemen !!
The best holiday till now :smile:

amirah_87
06-18-2007, 09:39 AM

Wa alaykum as salaam,

Na'am sis I recognise that place!! :statisfie :statisfie

It is beautiful subhanAllah, even more beautiful if you're there. :cry:

PS: That pic's been set as my desktop (on my comp) for nearly two years now. :-[

jzcasejz
07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
As-Salaamu'alikum

This is gonna sound stupid..but..you know in the first post of this thread..the Bro was asking about Markaz al-Madina...is that just another name for Darul-Hadeeth in Dammaaj? Or that's something else?

JazakAllaahu Khayran... =]

amirah_87
07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Wa alaykum as salaam wa rahmatullaah,

It ain't a dumb question akhee.

Markaz Medinah is an Institute/University in San'aa (the capital of Yemen) It's a complete different thing from Daaarul Hadith in Dammaaj.
It's run by one of Sheikh Yahya's wive's sons.

Wa Iyyaak.

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-03-2007, 04:41 PM

Someone asked me these questions:

Do u know of any site for dammaj?

How long does it take students (who work hard) to learn arabic in dammaj and apart from madinah books what other books do they do?

Can the dammaajiyyaat (sp?) help me out here?

umm-sulaim
07-03-2007, 04:57 PM
walaykum assalaam wa Rahmatullaah,

I'll skip the 1st Q till i'm sure sis.

As for the second Q....i honestly think that it all depends on the individual, it took us around 2 n a half years...but during this time we were also revisin the grammer books before startin another one...it also depends on the availability of teachers. Now maashaa'Allaah teachers are abundant, it shouldn't really be an issue inshaa'Allaah.

We were also doin other subjects besides nahw though...for those who focus on just the language n grammer n that, it should take like 2 years bi idhni Allaah perhaps less dependin on their level of commitment.

wassalaamu alaykum

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Oh ok. InshaAllah I'll give them shaykh yahyaa's site for now.

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-05-2007, 01:53 PM

I was looking for that post where Princess said what you have to do to avoid being caught by the raafidhah and officials.:exhausted Something about saying you're going to stay with someone and also taking a back route behind the mountains. I can't seem to find it any more.

Can someone give me a detailed explanations of the steps you have to take in order to make it to dammaaj. And is it true that you can only get a visa for one year?

amirah_87
07-05-2007, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Muwahhidah

I was looking for that post where Princess said what you have to do to avoid being caught by the raafidhah and officials.:exhausted Something about saying you're going to stay with someone and also taking a back route behind the mountains. I can't seem to find it any more.
This one? ....

If someone's setting out firstly they've got to get past the airport which is real tricky because the people who run it are either Jews or shiah who do not like Ahlus-sunnah!
So when they see you (dressed in the way of the sunnah) they'd be all like: Lookit this Mutawwa' (religious/practisin man) where are you going? Muqbil's Camp!! *sn-igger sn-igger* :rollseyes

You've got to bluff your way through and tell them you're just here for a few weeks or so visiting the country as a tourist. (That's what we said).

If they do suspect that you're headed there, they'd send you back on the next flight home. Which has happened quite a number of times with single people and even families all wanting to head out there.

It also might be a good idea if you know someone there, so you could say you're visiting so & so, and give them their details.

If you get past step 1, then it's fairly easy after that. You'd go to Jaami'al Khair, A Masjid in the Sanaa' and you'd ask them for a personal driver to take you to Dammaaj(When ever you're ready to head out).
You'd hire out your own pick up truck which is roughly around $50.00 for that 6 hour ride journey. It's more expensive than the normal coaches that head out to Dammaaj because with foreigners we'd have to use the back door (the mountainious route) rather than the front door where you go through the check points.

You don't really need any documents, Just a visa for when you reach the airport.

Al Muwahhidah:
And is it true that you can only get a visa for one year?
I'm not sure about that, but when we were there we used to renew ours every year.

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-05-2007, 02:22 PM

Yep, that's the one. Is that all I need to know then?

ravenous
07-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

you will find that in most arab countries, they operate on the iqaamah system, by which they grant you stay for a one-year period, and you must renew it every year. an iqaamah will allow you to work or study and find accomodation.

if you are planning on staying in dammaj, you shouldn't really bother getting one, a few months' visitor's visa is enough, since even if you do pay the steep prices to some dodgy agent to get a visa, once you get to dammaj, you are an illegal, no matter how much you paid, and how official your iqaamah is. getting a visitor's visa is easier for families and women (although I highly highly discourage sisters from travelling to yemen on their own). visitor visa prices depend on the whim of the official whom you are interview by the airport. depends on how skint he happens to be at the time. ;). My father and I paid $150 US each. some indians and indonesians come to yemen on an umrah visa, saying they are in transit, giving them a gateway to enter yemen, although the umrah visa only lasts three days.

once you decide to leave the country, you will be expected to pay a fine, which, even after reductions, can be quite hefty, so be prepared for it. although, after my calculations, i paid less in fees then i would have for an iqaamah.

amirah_87
07-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

if you are planning on staying in dammaj, you shouldn't really bother getting one, a few months' visitor's visa is enough, since even if you do pay the steep prices to some dodgy agent to get a visa, once you get to dammaj, you are an illegal,
Illegal? how comes sis?

It's either you pay the visa (anually, or however often you wish) or pay your qaraamaat in a huge hefty sum before you leave the country.

I'd say it's best to pay it up anually, no? Because staying illegal in a country you won't be obeying/respecting their rules and regualtions and what not?
It's like Daa'atul umaraa' right?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.