/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The hair on your head.

Strzelecki
02-03-2007, 08:06 AM
Okay. I have to apologise if this is a stupid question, everything I know about Islam I have learned in the past two months.

Is there any limit to how long one can grow their hair [on their head]?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sabbir_1
02-03-2007, 03:35 PM
yes, sunnah is up to the shoulders.. cant keep it longer than that..

- Qatada -
02-04-2007, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
yes, sunnah is up to the shoulders.. cant keep it longer than that..

Are you sure bro?

buriedaway, i'm not really sure but if we can find some evidences, or scholarly opinions - we'll post them up insha'Allaah [God willing.] :)

Peace, and thanks for your patience.

Um_ahmad
02-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I never thought about that. thanks for asking.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FBI
02-04-2007, 08:11 PM
:sl:

I'd also like to know is it ok to have an Afro.

hayaa__786
02-05-2007, 01:42 AM
is there a limit for men and women?

Strzelecki
02-05-2007, 05:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Are you sure bro?

buriedaway, i'm not really sure but if we can find some evidences, or scholarly opinions - we'll post them up insha'Allaah [God willing.] :)

Peace, and thanks for your patience.
Insha'Allah was the first Islamic term I learned *YAYS*.
Haha, sorry about that.

Thanks so much!!
The reason I ask is purely out of curiosity, I'm hoping for my hair to reach belly button legnth. Right now it's about 10 centermetres longer than shoulder legnth. :D

Nablus
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I think up to the shoulders for men

jihaadu nafs
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
narrated by Anas Ibn Malik He said, "The hair of Allaah's Messenger was neither much straight, nor much curly, and it used to hang down till between his shoulders and his earlobes.

HE SAW praised long hair when he described ‘Isa (AS) [in the Sahihayn] as “having the most beautiful hair you could have seen, wavy, shoulder-length and dripping with water.” In another version in the Sahihayn the Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – describes ‘Isa (AS) as “having head-and-shoulder hair (limmatun) as beautiful as the most beautiful head-and-shoulder hair (ka’ahsani mâ anta râ’in min al-limam).”

Style-wise the Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – first let his hair hang down freely (sadala), then he preferred parting it (farraqa), as in the hadith to that effect from Ibn ‘Abbas – Allah be well-pleased with both of them in the Sahihayn. ‘A’isha – Allah be well-pleased with her – said she “parted his hair and let his forelock (nâsiya) hang between his eyes” as narrated by Abu Dawud and Ahmad with a sound chain according to Shaykh Shu‘ayb al-Arna’ut.

Al-Qadi ‘Iyad said that the freely-hanging hair (sadl), forelock (nâsiya), and shoulder-length hair (jumma) were abrogated. At the time the Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – entered Makka, he was wearing his hair braided in four plaits (ghadâ’ir, dafâ’ir, ‘aqâ’is). Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (hasangharîb, in some mss. gharîb only), Ibn Majah, Abu Dawud, and Ahmad, all four with the same chain graded “fair” (hasan) by Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari (10:304), a grading confirmed by Shaykh Shu‘ayb al-Arna’ut in his edition of al-Baghawi’s Sharh al-Sunna (12:97).

It is not related in the Sunna - and Allah knows best - that the Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – ever had his hair shortened. Rather, it is established that he – Allah bless and greet him – kept his hair cleaned and oiled a lot of the time. He also said: “Whoever has hair, let him honor it.” Narrated by Abu Dawud in his Sunan with a fair to weak chain because of Ibn Abi al-Zannad.

Two hadiths are also narrated in which the Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – expresses preference for shorter hair for two men, but the context indicates that he meant to preclude showoff and conceit:

a) From Ibn al-Hanzaliyya – Allah be well-pleased with him –: “The Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – said: ‘A fine man, Khuraym al-Asadi! were it not for the length of his hair and the dragging of his waist-wrap.’ News of this reached Khuraym, whereupon he immediately took a blade and cut (qata‘a) his hair to his ears, then he raised up his waist-wrap to his mid-calves.” Part of a longer hadith narrated by Abu Dawud and Ahmad with a near-hasan chain according to Shaykh Shu‘ayb al-Arna’ut.

b) From Wa’il ibn Hujr – Allah be well-pleased with him –: “I came to [see] the Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – when I had long hair. When the Prophet – Allah bless and greet him – saw me he said: ‘Misfortune, misfortune’ (dhubâb, dhubâb, lit. ‘flies’)! Then I returned and clipped it (jazaztuhu). When I came back to [see] him the next day he said: ‘I truly did not mean you, but this is better.’” Narrated by Abu Dawud, al-Nasa’i, and Ibn Majah with a strong chain according to Shaykh Shu‘ayb al-Arna’ut. Both reports are in al-Baghawi’s Sharh al-Sunna (12:101).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.