/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which processor is better?

AabiruSabeel
02-03-2007, 04:58 PM
:sl:

Can anyone please tell which processor will be suitable for home use? I want to upgrade my pc from P3 to any advanced available.
I am confused between Dual core 3.4GHz and Core 2 Duo. There are many versions of processors available. If there is anyone with knowledge about processors, please help.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
02-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Hmmm....

The Core duo 2 is a newer and more advanced in technology than the dual dual core 3.40 GHz (which I presume will be a Pentium D processor).

The main difference is, Unlike NetBurst-based("Hyper Pipelined Technology" and "Rapid Execution Engine" which are firsts in this particular microarchitecture) processors, such as the Pentium 4 and Pentium D, Core 2 does not stress designs based on extremely high clock speeds but rather improvements in the processor's usage of both available clock cycles and power. This translates into more efficient decoding stages, execution units, caches, and buses, as well as many other factors. (wikipedia)

I'd personally go with the Core Duo 2 as it is has more efficiency in processor usage and provides the gateway to allow the usage of power hungry programs.

I was testing this processor not too long ago, unless you really are going to be making full use of this processor, I advise you go for the Dual Core 3.40 GHz as it should do the job for any home user.

The test included opening multiple applications and pushing the usage to a maximum capacity. I opened all of these at the same time:

1. 24 Internet explorers*
2. WinDVD - While playing video
3. Age of Empires 3
4. Windows media player
5. MSN Messenger
6. 5 Word doc.
7. 5 Powerpoint presentations
8. Nero Burner - While burning an audio CD

*While streaming from one internet explorer

The specs for this system was:

6.8Ghz Pentium Core Duo 2 Processor, 2 Gb Ram, 256 Mb Video Card...

up to you...are you seriously going to use that much power? :p

itsme
02-04-2007, 01:16 PM
:sl: :sl:

There's no difference between them except that the Core duo 1 processors (which you have called dual-core) were for laptops only, while the Core duo 2 are for both laptops and desktops. So if you intend to purchase a desktop PC you will automatically get the Core duo 2.

The best way to decide which parts to put in a new PC is to know for what you are going to use the PC for. I recommend you these two sites:

www.tek-tips.com for any technical queries you may have. Registration is free and you can post any questions you have regarding hardware and software.

www.tomshardware.com for reviews on latest technologies.

Or you can still use search engines to learn more.

Hope this post helped.

afriend
02-04-2007, 01:22 PM
:confused: okay My reply is if you were talking about a Pentium D

:)

Here is the link to the main intel Core duo 1 site:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/coreduo/

and core duo 2

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
02-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Jazakumallah Khair. When Core 2 Duo is the newer version, then why not go for it?
Anyway, I will check the prices and decide InshaAllah.
What are the prices at your places for Core 2 Duo and Pentium D processors?
6.8Ghz Pentium Core Duo 2 Processor
Which one was it from these? I got this table from www.anandtech.com
-------CPU-------------------Clock Speed--L2 Cache
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700---2.66GHz-----2 x 4MB
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800----2.93GHz-----4MB
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-------2.40GHz-----2 x 4MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700---------2.66GHz-----4MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600---------2.40GHz-----4MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400---------2.13GHz-----2MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300---------1.86GHz-----2MB

Jazakumallahu Khair...

afriend
02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by StrangerOnEarth
Jazakumallah Khair. When Core 2 Duo is the newer version, then why not go for it?
Anyway, I will check the prices and decide InshaAllah.
What are the prices at your places for Core 2 Duo and Pentium D processors?

Which one was it from these? I got this table from www.anandtech.com
-------CPU-------------------Clock Speed--L2 Cache
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700---2.66GHz-----2 x 4MB
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800----2.93GHz-----4MB
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-------2.40GHz-----2 x 4MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700---------2.66GHz-----4MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600---------2.40GHz-----4MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400---------2.13GHz-----2MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300---------1.86GHz-----2MB

Jazakumallahu Khair...

the highlighted ones...Anything higher is just a joke. The only reason you would ue the others is to control a house by the help of computers :D or for something really hard on. Bro trust me don't go for the others...PLEASE BRO!! lol :p okay seriously...

If you look on eBay, core duo 2s are as cheap as Under £400 :uuh: Subhanallah lol.

But ohhh I know what you meant...lol sorry..

you find the speed of the single bore by the help of this formula:

Single processor speed=total speed
Number of processors

afriend
02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
:shade: ah....this is the life...I'm using the same dual core right now....brings a tear to my eye lol...

Hey bro, decided yet? Let me know how things are going insha'Allah :)

AabiruSabeel
02-21-2007, 06:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
:shade: ah....this is the life...I'm using the same dual core right now....brings a tear to my eye lol...

Hey bro, decided yet? Let me know how things are going insha'Allah :)
Which dual core have you got bro?
I got Core 2 Duo E6400, 2.13 GHz Alhamdulillah.

متاع الدنيا قليل والأخرة خير لمن التقى

shible
02-21-2007, 06:44 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by StrangerOnEarth

Which dual core have you got bro?
I got Core 2 Duo E6400, 2.13 GHz Alhamdulillah.

متاع الدنيا قليل والأخرة خير لمن التقى

Bro wat is ur RAM fast since processor is not the only thing that plays a vital role in performance . if u have atleast 1 gb RAM then u will experience the difference

Woodrow
02-21-2007, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible

Bro wat is ur RAM fast since processor is not the only thing that plays a vital role in performance . if u have atleast 1 gb RAM then u will experience the difference

RAM is the most important factor involved for noticing any difference in processors. You can not do any more than what your RAM will let you do.

The best and lowest cost upgrade you can do is to max out your RAM. Don't worry about the processor unless you are buying a new PC and than just look at that as a guide as to how much you can eventualy up the RAM.

AabiruSabeel
02-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Yes bro, I bought 1GB DDR 2 RAM. Its enough for home use. I don't need much.

afriend
02-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Which is ok, but try to hit the limits, if your motherboard allows then upgrade to 2 gig.

I'm making use of the same one as I tested earlier :p it's not mine sadly :'( and when i go home I will be depressed by the speed of my one.

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 12:00 PM
To be honest unless you are into number crunching, run very realistic animated graphics, or are doing some of your own programming you will not notice any difference between 500MB or 2GIG of RAM .

The only real justification for the super fast speed is for some of the newer super fast realistic games.

The typical person is going to be more limited by their own human abilities to interact with the PC.

I have super high capacity RAM only because I am running a number of research programs in the back ground. Without that I would be able to get along fine with 228 RAM.

shible
02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
it' not really neede that you should test your RAM with realistic games. but that is one of the easiest way, the only issue with it is it makes OS files and clusters place them on various sectors.

In case if you wish to check the speed in some other means. then here is one more option.

run multiple processes at the same time such as

write a cd or DVD at the lowest speed , zip a file of size more than 1 or 2 Gb, download a file of high storage space, and move files from one drive to other (size of the files should be above 3 or 4 Gb). Perform all the task at the same time.

by doing this you can check the consistency of your Processor as well as u'r RAM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!