/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sudden sense or gradual realization???

truthbetold
02-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Are there any reverts who can tell me whether or not there was, say, a particular day when they just woke up and knew that was going to be the day they took their Shahada or was it more just a slow process and when they felt like they truly believed they took it at that point? I have been studying and trying to learn as much as I can the past 3-4 months and I am feeling very much as if I want to revert but for some reason I haven't as of yet and I cannot figure out if I am going to continue wondering and questioning and debating with myself forever or if one day I will just feel that is my time. I have been told that when you are considering reverting Shaytan will make you doubt and question and delay constantly in order to keep you from Islam. I can see how this would be true. But at the same time wouldn't it be wrong to take Shahada while not feeling it 100% in your heart, body, mind, and soul? i think the reasons for my delay may be more socially related than lack of belief, such as uncertainty about how my surrounding friends and family will react and treat me. I know that every person has an obligation to themself to practice what is right in their heart and shouldnt allow outsiders to influence such a personal matter, but its hard not to allow it to a certain extent. im also using my lack of knowledge in Arabic and giving proper Salat as an excuse even though I know those things will come in time and i could find brothers at a local Masjid to assist me. I guess im also just shy and therefore reluctant to interact with the people i should be in order to get to where I need to be. can anyone kindly speak some good words of advice, maybe a revert or too could say whether or not I should expect some sudden feeling one day to move forward, or even a former non practicing Muslim who may have just done a 360 one day and what exactly changed them. I feel like I'm getting ready to jump out of a plane and i cant bring myself to do it even though i know it would be the best possible thing for me, whereas literally jumping out of a plane might be fun but also might get ya killed. silly analogy i know. anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated! salam .................. oh and also i was wondering...wouldnt it be bad to revert and be cleansed of all sins only to begin sinning immediately by missing prayers due to the fact that you were still learning them and couldnt pray properly>???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AQSA
02-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Please watch these links, hope they help inshallah:smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU5HGHiNUu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMjjjr8Z0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zePqNxz895U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeY0F09hHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agIneYb9IJQ

Skillganon
02-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Hello Truthbetold

Everyone is born in the natural fitrah towards it's Lord, and everyone in one time if coming from a non0muslim background or a being born in a muslim family need's to accept and realise the truth.
People who come from a non-muslim background may have a bigger hurdle, erspecially the unfamilarity of the deen, (aswell as pre-conditioning.)

Although I was raised in a family that is muslim I personally did not know much about my deen as I would of like to, and I think many muslim raised or what is termed now day's as born muslim would agree, and we had to accept islam in one point of our life. For me it all took the cartoon fiasco to prompt me studying my deen, (although I did a quick work of the bible out of interest). This little prompt that started of trying to explain to atheist in "MyOpera Forum" something about Islam made me delve in. From their I was stuck in absorbing much material about Islam as I can, and it took me time to do the most difficult thing, which was praying for some reason. I accepted Islam in my heart long time ago but doing it was a whole different thing.

I guess one has to come clean and start praying, take the a bath and shahadah and start or strive towards Islam. The prayer's help alot, Just praying to Allah(s.w.t) to help, guide and keep you away from error. That is the key. You have go and break past this final step, that is hindering you.

I hope that helps.

YusufNoor
02-04-2007, 02:49 AM
A`udhu Billahi mina Shaytanir Rajeem,

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Assalamu 'alaykum truthbetold,

as a revert, MAYBE part of my "story" might help. i was 48, a student(maybe a poor one) of many "Chrisitans" "sects" from Armstrongism to Pentecostal and from a Catholic background. i gave up things like Christmas, Easter, "Sunday" worship and that whole "i'm saved" type thing decades ago although, tbh, i'm not sure i ever had the "i'm saved" thing. i've read dozens of Translations of "The Bible", preferring older ones like Ferrah Fenton and Moffit, but appreciate the Zondervan Study Bibles, really really enjoyed translations of Jewish Tanakh's and Torah's to "Christian" Old Testemants. i was kind of isolated as a minority, especially when someone would want to know "what church" practiced my beliefs as, well NONE was the answer...

in frustration, i remember just belting out one day "how come no religion just worships G-d for crying out loud!" followed up by "i wish i could find the Religion of Abraham(as)!"

my ex-girlfriend had FINALLY moved out and i was left with one of her dogs. a month or 2 later, i was in the hospital after having a heart attack that lasted for almost 4 days. the ex got the call to come get the dog! [but, tbh, i REALLY miss him! i REALLY REALLY LOVED that dog! and he, me! :D ]

3 months later i decide to read something on Islam[long story short: woman in hijabs and a close Muslim lady freind]; i picked up something called "the Everything Koran Book"[or something to that effect, someone borrowed it, it's gone] as well as a Qur'an (or 5!).

i quickly read something about wudu, so i figured i couldn't read the Qur'an. i got to a chapter on shari'a which was real close to one about how the Qur'an and Islam provides a WHOLE way of life AND community! [that was the KEY for me] i was kinda flabberghasted as i never had the intent to accept Islam.

my "lady friend" who could talk to me for hours REFUSED to tell me anything about about Islam. around the same time, there was a documentary on the History Channel called Decoding The Past Secrets of the Koran(Qur'an). it was pretty good, esp the 1st half.

the above mentioned woman DID give me the number to the Masjid. i called it, got the address and the next day located it. based on:
i got to a chapter on shari'a which was real close to one about how the Qur'an and Islam provides a WHOLE way of life AND community!
the NEXT day i went to the Masjid. i couldn't find anyone.:cry: i left a VM and left and waited. a short while later, i went back and decided that i would just stay there until i saw someone. just parked my car in the lot, got out and waited. eventually some Brothers came out and i went to them and they brought me to the Imam. He wanted to explain Islam, but felt i had enough info and said that i wanted to say my Shahadah!

that's without ever reading the Qur'an or hearing the many marvelous and wonderous stories about the Rassululah Sallalaho Alaihe Wa Salaam! sure, it was a little scary, BUT what has followed has been nothing short of miraculous!

as regards to:
I feel like I'm getting ready to jump out of a plane and i cant bring myself to do it even though i know it would be the best possible thing for me
imho, your already in "freefall", Islam IS the PARACHUTE!

if i can be of any help, just PM and, Insha' Allah, i will get back to you!

May Allah(SWT) guide you to the straight path and may He(SWT) guide us all to the straight path! Ameen!

time for Esha, gotta go!

:w:

Yusuf

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
02-04-2007, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthbetold
Are there any reverts who can tell me whether or not there was, say, a particular day when they just woke up and knew that was going to be the day they took their Shahada or was it more just a slow process and when they felt like they truly believed they took it at that point? I have been studying and trying to learn as much as I can the past 3-4 months and I am feeling very much as if I want to revert but for some reason I haven't as of yet and I cannot figure out if I am going to continue wondering and questioning and debating with myself forever or if one day I will just feel that is my time. I have been told that when you are considering reverting Shaytan will make you doubt and question and delay constantly in order to keep you from Islam. I can see how this would be true. But at the same time wouldn't it be wrong to take Shahada while not feeling it 100% in your heart, body, mind, and soul? i think the reasons for my delay may be more socially related than lack of belief, such as uncertainty about how my surrounding friends and family will react and treat me. I know that every person has an obligation to themself to practice what is right in their heart and shouldnt allow outsiders to influence such a personal matter, but its hard not to allow it to a certain extent. im also using my lack of knowledge in Arabic and giving proper Salat as an excuse even though I know those things will come in time and i could find brothers at a local Masjid to assist me. I guess im also just shy and therefore reluctant to interact with the people i should be in order to get to where I need to be. can anyone kindly speak some good words of advice, maybe a revert or too could say whether or not I should expect some sudden feeling one day to move forward, or even a former non practicing Muslim who may have just done a 360 one day and what exactly changed them. I feel like I'm getting ready to jump out of a plane and i cant bring myself to do it even though i know it would be the best possible thing for me, whereas literally jumping out of a plane might be fun but also might get ya killed. silly analogy i know. anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated! salam .................. oh and also i was wondering...wouldnt it be bad to revert and be cleansed of all sins only to begin sinning immediately by missing prayers due to the fact that you were still learning them and couldnt pray properly>???
subhaanallaaaaaaaahh! May Allah swt guide you upon the sraight path! By da sounds of things u really do sincerely wanna revert- uve done ya research, u know wat islams about and wat things make u a muslm,it is a MASSIVE LIFE AFFECTIN decision, think things thru properly, dont let little things like wat other peoples reaction will be stop ya, at the end of da day u gta make da ryt decision 4 YOU and nt 4 them, Islam is indeed the ryt path, grab it while you can, itll be a decision u wont regret! Hope ill e congratul8in u on ya reversion soooooon inshaallahhh! :smile::smile::smile::smile:

truthbetold
02-05-2007, 05:34 AM
thanks for all the support, stories, and video links!

FollowingAlhuda
02-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Salam brother,

I just think having Muslim (practising) friends would maybe make a diffrence. I see it in my reverted friends, they become stronger while ''hanging around'' with Muslim.

Remember what the Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon Him) said:
'' A man follows the religion of best friend. So becarefull whom you take as your best friend ''.

May Allah continue his guidance on you!

Salam
Oum Haneefa

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.