/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the nature of God in Islam and Christianity

Jayda
02-04-2007, 11:23 PM
hola everyone,

we have been talking about the Trinity a lot and i thought a thread for our questions would be a good place...

as i explained in the south america thread in the world politics section we believe that the nature of God is that He is Triune. in response some Muslims have been trying to articulate what Muslims believe...

one of the reoccuring themes is that God seems to be very monolithic in Islam... a specific being in a specific location at a specific location... like you or i. i derive this from the conversation we have begun about whether Muslims believe God can be in several places at once or several times at once... the general response is in islam he cannot.

in Christianity we believe he is capable of this... and actively does do this. we believe he is in Heaven, and He is on Earth and He is with us guiding us... and he can do this simultaneously without creating "God clones" or breaking himself into pieces or something... we believe that all are the exact same being but in different places at the same time.

so... i have additional questions in this discussion, the most basic is do Muslims believe God to be a Spirit, a corporeal being or something that is neither?

I understand if answers are limited, in the Catholic faith we believe questions about the nature of God (theologia) are limited because they are only directly revealed (through scripture) and only limitedly... and it is not something we can learn simply through logic or reflecting on God. that is why we call it a mystery of faith, so this conversation is obviously going to have short ends...

but i think the nature of God is what Christians and Muslims understand the least about each other...

Dios te bendiga

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
02-04-2007, 11:29 PM
:sl: and hola

Ok here's a short answer to your question.

In Islam, we believe that God sees and knows all, so in one sense, He is with us all but there is no physical presence. In other words, it is not a matter of Him being at any place at one time it is a matter of Him seeing everything at the same time.

I hope that gives you part of the answer you seek.

deen_2007
02-04-2007, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

In Islam, we believe that God sees and knows all, so in one sense, He is with us all but there is no physical presence. In other words, it is not a matter of Him being at any place at one time it is a matter of Him seeing everything at the same time.

i couldnt have put it better...thanks bro....u wrote it beutyfully! now dats wat i was trying to say

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
We believe G-d is everywhere as in He can see everything we do, think, speak, feel, etc. It doesnt mean He is here literally. He is in His domain but still All-Knowing, All-Encompassing etc. It's pretty difficult to explain for me, but I hope you get the idea.

Edit Lol I just saw everyones response as soon as I posted mine.

^^Thats basically it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-05-2007, 12:56 AM
:sl:

When they said everywhere, its not meant physically. He is everywhere by His knowledge. He, His being is above the Throne which is outside the limitations of this universe. For more information please see:

http://www.islamicboard.com/639409-post17.html

The thing to remember is that, Muslims accept the narrations (from our sources, the Qur'an and the Narrations from the Messenger, peace be upon him.) that say God is above his Throne, that He rose over His Throne without questioning the howness. In other words, we accept them as they are and do not try to interpret them. Yet at the same time we do not make any likenesses between God and the creation because, There is nothing like Him.

Umar001
02-05-2007, 01:14 AM
I, in trying to understand the attributes of God hold the golden rules held within the Qu'ran about God and our understanding, the rule is summed up as follows;

And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.
Surah 112, Ayah 4

..There is nothing like unto Him..
Surah 42, Ayah 11

Having established that I now know that when there is an attribute which sound familiar that the first thing I should do is remember that 'there is nothing whatsoever like unto Him' so if I hear of hands, sight, hearing, then I must remember they are not like my attributes.

Where is Almighty God, according to my understanding, He 'istawa', rose established, Himself above his throne;

The Most Beneficent (Allāh) Istawā (rose over) the (Mighty) Throne (in a manner that suits His Majesty).
Surah 20, Ayah 5

This meaning is repeated in several ayah:

1. Surah 10 Ayah 03
2. Surah 7 Ayah 54
3. Surah 13 Ayah 2
4. Surah 25 Ayah 59
5. Surah 32 Ayah 4

So whilst Almighty God is above the throne, He is also with us, for He tells us;

And indeed We have created man, and We know what his ownself whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein (by Our Knowledge).
Surah 50, Ayah 16

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge)...
Surah 2, Ayah 186

In essence Allah istawa, rose, established, Himself above his throne, whilst He is closer than our veins with His knowledge.

I will just post a verse which hopefully will give further insight towards His attributes;

Allāh! Lā ilāha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursī extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.
Surah 2, Ayah 255

format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
I understand if answers are limited, in the Catholic faith we believe questions about the nature of God (theologia) are limited because they are only directly revealed (through scripture) and only limitedly... and it is not something we can learn simply through logic or reflecting on God. that is why we call it a mystery of faith, so this conversation is obviously going to have short ends...
I hope you do not mind me asking some questions, does your understanding of God come through the Holy Spirit alone, or do you have men or women who explain it to you?

Do you believe God is anything like His creation, in the sense that He gets tired, or sleeps and so forth?

format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
we believe he is in Heaven, and He is on Earth and He is with us guiding us...

Can I ask where you derive such a teaching from, and do you hold that God walks on earth right now and just walks through places?

Regards,

Eesa.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.