PDA

View Full Version : US Mayor becomes Muslim

sojourner
02-05-2007, 04:46 AM
Has anyone discussed this on here yet?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249924,00.html

Macon, Ga., mayor converts to Islam, wants to change his name

The Associated Press - MACON, Ga.

Macon Mayor Jack Ellis has converted to Islam and is now working to legally change his name to Hakim Mansour Ellis.

Ellis, who was raised Christian, said Thursday that he became a Sunni Muslim during a December ceremony in the west African nation of Senegal.

Ellis said he has been studying the Quran for years and that his new religion was originally practiced by his ancestors before they were brought to North America as slaves.

"Why does one become a Christian?" Ellis said. "You do it because it feels right. It's the right thing for you to do. ... To me it's no big deal. But people like to know what you believe in. And this is what I believe in."

At the request of his two of his daughters, Ellis said he will keep his last name the same.

Ellis has not ruled out future runs for elected office after his term expires this year. But he said he had not made any calculations for how his religious conversion might affect him politically. He said he is an American first and is proud to live in a country founded on religious freedom.

Muslims should not be painted with a broad brush simply because of a few radicals, he said.

"If anybody wants to know about Islam, I can hold an intelligent conversation," Ellis said. "What I've found is how little we know about the religion."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-06-2007, 01:44 AM
I dont think we have. Good for him, Masha'Allah.

Goku
02-06-2007, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sojourner
Has anyone discussed this on here yet?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249924,00.html

Macon, Ga., mayor converts to Islam, wants to change his name

The Associated Press - MACON, Ga.

Macon Mayor Jack Ellis has converted to Islam and is now working to legally change his name to Hakim Mansour Ellis.

Ellis, who was raised Christian, said Thursday that he became a Sunni Muslim during a December ceremony in the west African nation of Senegal.

Ellis said he has been studying the Quran for years and that his new religion was originally practiced by his ancestors before they were brought to North America as slaves.

"Why does one become a Christian?" Ellis said. "You do it because it feels right. It's the right thing for you to do. ... To me it's no big deal. But people like to know what you believe in. And this is what I believe in."

At the request of his two of his daughters, Ellis said he will keep his last name the same.

Ellis has not ruled out future runs for elected office after his term expires this year. But he said he had not made any calculations for how his religious conversion might affect him politically. He said he is an American first and is proud to live in a country founded on religious freedom.

Muslims should not be painted with a broad brush simply because of a few radicals, he said.

"If anybody wants to know about Islam, I can hold an intelligent conversation," Ellis said. "What I've found is how little we know about the religion."
Thats interesting, Mash'Allah.

north_malaysian
02-06-2007, 02:00 AM
So, he should be the first Muslim mayor in the US?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
brenton
02-06-2007, 02:28 AM
Good question.
I love hearing people say "Prophet Muhammad" with a southern accent!

Muslim Woman
02-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Salaam/peace;

format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
Thats interesting, Mash'Allah.

it's amazing that after watching the horror of 9/11 , it's possible for Americans to become Muslims. Alhamdulillah.

US Mayor Reverts to Islam

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1137952579692&ampssbinarytrue -

thirdwatch512
02-06-2007, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
So, he should be the first Muslim mayor in the US?
no, but the first mayor of a decent sized city.

anyways very.. interesting.. let's hope he doesn't make that city a shariah city lol

dougmusr
02-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Only God knows his heart, but this statement means to me that he is neither Christian nor Muslim.

tomtomsmom
02-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Good for him!!!!! Maybe he can help spread the truth of Islam in this country instead of all the bad we see on the news. One can only hope.......

sojourner
02-06-2007, 04:36 AM
wow...i actually presented something that can be considered "news", i'm impressed!

syilla
02-06-2007, 04:39 AM
wow...mashaAllah...

good for him Alhamdullillah...

someone should write letter to him.

north_malaysian
02-06-2007, 07:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
no, but the first mayor of a decent sized city.

anyways very.. interesting.. let's hope he doesn't make that city a shariah city lol
there were other muslim mayors before him?

I really love when Muslims participate in the politics in Non Muslim nations... Muslims should exposed themselves more...

Pk_#2
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brenton
Good question.
I love hearing people say "Prophet Muhammad" with a southern accent!
LOL :D

Nice thread btw

Alhamdhulillah to him and All the best with his life :D

Peace :)

Malaikah
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dougmusr
Only God knows his heart, but this statement means to me that he is neither Christian nor Muslim.
Did you understand what he meant by that? I was very confused by it.

S_87
02-06-2007, 01:24 PM
:sl:

Alhumdulillah!

sameer
02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Alhumdulillah.

Ar-RaYYan
02-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Alhamdulilah

mashallah - good for him!!!!

I just don't agree with the last sentence - your deen should before your nationality .

Zulkiflim
02-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Salaam,

Alhamdullah.

zaria
02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Alhamduillah, May Allah continue to guide him the right way

Muslim Woman
02-07-2007, 12:32 AM
salaam/peace;

.....let's hope he doesn't make that city a shariah city lol
what's the problems ??

thirdwatch512
02-07-2007, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
salaam/peace;

what's the problems ??
i am a homosexual christian. that's bad enough. and shariah law is something i fear because i'm gay. it's not really muslims as much as it is shariah. so of course i'm going to be scared fi shariah was ever implemented!!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
^^Lol, well the only thing is that u cant do anything in public.

deen_2007
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
alhamdullilah

Maidah
02-07-2007, 10:58 PM
errrrm maybe i missed it or i didn't get it, but which state is he a mayor in?

tomtomsmom
02-07-2007, 11:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maidah
errrrm maybe i missed it or i didn't get it, but which state is he a mayor in?
He is the mayor of Macon Georgia

deen_2007
02-07-2007, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
He is the mayor of Macon Georgia
does any1 no how d public took this news there?

tomtomsmom
02-07-2007, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
does any1 no how d public took this news there?
Well they must have been ok with it because they elected him!:D

deen_2007
02-07-2007, 11:23 PM
:giggling:
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
Well they must have been ok with it because they elected him!:D
yeah but he reverted to islam after they elected him :D

it would be lovely to see Bush revert to islam.....all those reactions....specially Blairs.......

Muslim Woman
02-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Salaam/peace;

i am a homosexual christian....
while announcing that u r a homo...do u also need to say that u r a follower of Christ (p) ?

Many may misunderstand that Jesus (p) allowed gayism....don't send the wrong message , pl.

north_malaysian
02-08-2007, 03:07 AM
i am a homosexual christian. that's bad enough. and shariah law is something i fear because i'm gay. it's not really muslims as much as it is shariah. so of course i'm going to be scared fi shariah was ever implemented!!
First of all, if you go to muslim public and say "i am a gay", you still cannot be punished under hudud laws...

Only, if you're "caught in the act" (the penetration must be 100% completed), witnessed by 4 "just" male .. then you're liable under the crime...

But there are many opinions regarding to "sodomy".... majority of the jurists put it as same level as heterosexual adultery.... minority of the jurists put it as ta'zir (liable for fines only)...

Furthermore hudud only liable for Muslims ONLY....

For non Muslims they should be judged in accordance to their religious rules....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.