/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Female Prophets

Pure
02-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Law
Imam Ali ibn Hazm

Read the link above, he is an incredible person of great knowledge and intellect. Here are a couple of extracts from the link above about one of his opinions - Female Prophets:

His early education:
Thus, in a high class home, full of riches, Ibn Hazm was brought up, and he was looked after by a number of women, some were relatives and others were maids of fine accomplishments. These women taught him reading and writing, and helped him memorize the Qur'an. They also ensured that his adolescent years were free of the unrestrained surges of passion that are characteristic of youth.
He is an independent thinker!
A main characteristic of Ibn Hazm was his independent thinking. He lived at a time when belonging to a school of fiqh was the normal practice of scholars. Even those who attained prominence and high reputation conformed to their schools of fiqh, with little attempt to go beyond them. He always declared his independent views without fear of opposition.
Now the issue!
One area in which Ibn Hazm differs with the majority of scholars is that of whether there were in the past women prophets. He comes clearly in favour of that, and he names four women who were prophets, Mary, Sarah, Moses's mother and Asia bint Muzahim who was Pharaoh's wife. He defines prophethood as ‘the acquisition of certain, undoubted knowledge that cannot be acquired through personal endeavour or human experience.' Such knowledge must, then, come through God's revelation. These four women received such knowledge.

In the case of Mary, not only she spoke to Archangel Gabriel, but she is also mentioned with a group of prophets in the surah carrying her name. When these prophets have all been mentioned, God states: "These are the ones God has blessed with His favours among prophets, of Adam's progeny…" (19: 58) In the case of Sarah, she received information through a delegation of angels, and they gave her the ‘impossible' information that she would conceive despite being past menopause and having an old man for a husband. Moses's mother was told of what would happen to her infant son when she throws him in the Nile, and then picked up by God's enemy and his own enemy. The evidence in the case of Asia is the hadith describing her, along with Mary, as the only women who attained perfection.

Scholars who object to this view base their objection on the verse stating: "We have not sent before you any other than men who received our revelations." (16: 43) Ibn Hazm replies that the verse speaks of messengers, not prophets. A messenger is a prophet who had a message to deliver. Not all prophets were messengers, while all messengers were prophets. He concurs that there were no women messengers.
His memory and knowledge:
These are the words of Ali ibn Hazm, a scholar of fine accomplishments which he recognized as gifts from God for which he was genuinely grateful. The first of these accomplishments was his excellent memory. He was able to memorize a very large collection of hadiths, as well as the rulings given by the Prophet's companions and their successors [i.e. tabi'een] on cases which were put to them for judgement. This fine memory was coupled with a very sharp mind that gave him strong arguments in debate. Few could stand up to him in scholarly debate.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
02-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Assalamu alaikum sis.

I really do not think them women fall into the category of prophets. I don't think majority of the scholars agree with the statement or many muslims.

Indeed these women where excellent in the sight of Allah(s.w.t) and better than most people but they are not Prophets.

This is the first I heard. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise.

SUMMAYAH
02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
By reading this thread, those of us who lack in knowledge can be easily confused. So it is best if these matters be left to the Ulema.

Having said that in my opinion these women, with the grace of Allah had reached a very high level. However I don't believe that they were prophets.

Allahu Alam.

Pure
02-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Salamu alaikum brother and sister

An opinion that is of the majority does not automatically make it true. There are great independent thinkers who were of a different opinion, they too were sincere in the sight of Allah and was blessed with an amazing intellect. Here is an opinion from the Islamonline.net please take the time to read it.

Female Prophets?

Did Allah Send Women as Prophets?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslima06
02-08-2007, 06:23 AM
there is now females prophets.. those women like mariam and asiyah are a pious women whom Allah blessed them with pradise. I'll try to get the daliil.

Silver Pearl
02-08-2007, 07:01 AM
:wasalamex

There were no female prophets. Maryam and Asiya (May Allaah be pleased with them) were righteous women, an example to us all. Maryam bore a prophet while Asiya was an example showing us that your husbands bad deeds and evilness does not necessarily mean you too are condemned in eternity of misery in the hereafter. It was a lesson to mankind. Lut and Nuh's (May the peace and blessing of Allaah be upon them) wives were amongst the disbelievers regardless of the fact that their husbands were prophets subhanallaah. Both these righteous women are an example to us, they play a major role but their righteousness and humility should not be elevated to a position that Allaah nor the prophet did not label them with. All major scholars are in agreement that neither Maryam or Asiya was a prophet so unless you're given a sound proof stick to such opinion. The author does not bring forth evidence rather interprets the Qur'an by fitting in context with his viewpoint. I apologise if I seem as though I am arguing with a scholar. My opinion is of no relevance or significance. However, one should take evidence from numerous sources, making sure their daleel is saheeh and not da'eef.

In addition just because Allaah has inspired someone does not mean they are prophet, as far as I recall it states that Allaah inspired the bees, it certainly does not mean the bees were prophets. It also states; 'We sent before you except rijaal (men) we inspired..' That verse is very specific.

Allaahu'3llim.

north_malaysian
02-08-2007, 07:08 AM
I think I've read about it on wikipedia months ago....

but I think those women inspired by Allah like Maryam, Sarah etc... are pious women... (may Allah grant them happiness in the paradise..Amin!!!)

'Abd al-Baari
02-08-2007, 07:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I think I've read about it on wikipedia months ago....

but I think those women inspired by Allah like Maryam, Sarah etc... are pious women... (may Allah grant them happiness in the paradise..Amin!!!)
true
i think its fair to say that these were women very pious and were inspired by Allah but we should leave the prohethood decissions to our respected Ulama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.