/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 37 Korean Soldiers Converted to Islam

Abdul-Raouf
02-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Ahead of Iraq Deployment, 37 Korean Soldiers Converted to Islam

"I became a Muslim because I felt Islam was more humanistic and peaceful than other religions. And if you can religiously connect with the locals, I think it could be a big help in carrying out our peace reconstruction mission." So said on Friday those Korean soldiers who converted to Islam ahead of their late July deployment to the Kurdish city of Irbil in northern Iraq.

At noon Friday, 37 members of the Iraq-bound "Zaitun Unit," including Lieutenant Son Hyeon-ju of the Special Forces 11th Brigade, made their way to a mosque in Hannam-dong, Seoul and held a conversion ceremony.

The soldiers, who cleansed their entire bodies in accordance with Islamic tradition, made their conversion during the Friday group prayers at the mosque, with the assistance of the "imam," or prayer leader.

With the exception of the imam, all the Muslims and the Korean soldiers stood in a straight line to symbolize how all are equal before God and took a profession on faith.

They had memorized the Arabic confession, " Ashadu an La ilaha il Allah, Muhammad-ur-Rasool-Allah," which means, "I testify that there is no god but God (Arabic: Allah), and Muhammad is the Messenger of God."

Moreover, as the faithful face the "Kaaba," the Islamic holy place in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, all Muslims confirm that they are brothers.

For those Korean soldiers who entered the Islamic faith, recent chances provided by the Zaitun Unit to come into contact with Islam proved decisive.

Taking into consideration the fact that most of the inhabitants of Irbil are Muslims, the unit sent its unreligious members to the Hannam-dong mosque so that they could come to understand Islam. Some of those who participated in the program were entranced by Islam and decided to convert.

A unit official said the soldiers were inspired by how important religious homogeneity was considered in the Muslim World; if you share religion, you are treated not as a foreigner, but as a local, and Muslims do not attack Muslim women even in war.

Zaitun Unit Corporal Paek Seong-uk (22) of the Army's 11th Division said, "I majored in Arabic in college and upon coming across the Quran, I had much interest in Islam, and I made up my mind to become a Muslim during this religious experience period [provided by the Zaitun Unit]."

He expressed his aspirations. "If we are sent to Iraq, I want to participate in religious ceremonies with the locals so that they can feel brotherly love and convince them that the Korean troops are not an army of occupation but a force deployed to provide humanitarian support."

This conversion happened long ago.. but im sure not many of u know this....
Article Date : May 28, 2004
(You can reply to : englishnews@chosun.com )

This is that korean site :
http://english.chosun.com/

Below is the direct link to that page:

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...405280041.html

format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Aslong as they not attack and does not serve the interest of the occupying force in anyway.

They will be commiting a sin if they do.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslima06
02-07-2007, 02:15 AM
mansha'allah what a greet news.

Skillganon
02-07-2007, 02:21 AM
Aslong as they not attack and does not serve the interest of the occupying force in anyway.

They will be commiting a sin if they do.

cihad
02-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Wait a minute
did they just convert coz they were going to iraq or because they sincerely wanted to?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Bittersteel
02-07-2007, 02:52 PM
is this news reliable?are you sure they are Muslims,not Korean evangelists disguised as Muslims so that they can convert more Christians?

Zulkiflim
02-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Salaam,

This news is very old..

And it is true they converted..but liek you i got it from the media,this is the first time i get too see the pics..

wilberhum
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Article dated May.28,2004, over 2 1/2 years old.
A unit official said the soldiers were inspired by how important religious homogeneity was considered in the Muslim World; if you share religion, you are treated not as a foreigner, but as a local,
The locals killed over 100 others last week end. So is being concidered a local a good thing? I guess so if you want your knee caps drilled out before you are killed.

Cognescenti
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
This is great news!

When the North Koreans finally roll across the border and invade South Korea, muslims everywhere will be obligated to join the Mujahadeen to fight the godless PRK troops.

This will free up about 37,000 US troops for use elsewhere. We can all be on the same side. Go team!

BTW...bring as many islamic tanks as you can get....the PRK has thousands.

Keltoi
02-07-2007, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
This is great news!

When the North Koreans finally roll across the border and invade South Korea, muslims everywhere will be obligated to join the Mujahadeen to fight the godless PRK troops.

This will free up about 37,000 US troops for use elsewhere. We can all be on the same side. Go team!

That is actually an interesting angle on this story. :D

Bittersteel
02-08-2007, 09:07 AM
the Mujahideen got RPGs remember?plus if they are working in favour of the US,the CIA might help.no worries about the tanks.

Jibril
02-09-2007, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
This is great news!

Technically Muslims should be aligned with anyone against the communists, who are public enemy #1 according to Muslims in a religious sense. The only countries where Muslims have not been allowed to practice their religion have been communist countries.

wilberhum
02-11-2007, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jibril
Technically Muslims should be aligned with anyone against the communists, who are public enemy #1 according to Muslims in a religious sense. The only countries where Muslims have not been allowed to practice their religion have been communist countries.
Technically Christians should be aligned with anyone against the communists, who are public enemy #1 according to Christians in a religious sense. The only countries where Christians have not been allowed to practice their religion have been communist countries. :thumbs_do
I also think we should devide every military force by religion. Also sepererate units for agnostics and atheists. After all we can't expect people of different faiths to have a joint cause or work together. :rant: :mad:

Kittygyal
02-11-2007, 09:47 PM
salamualikum/Greetings
is it true of what? if it is then subhnallah! :)
Ma'assalama

Pk_#2
02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
If it's true alhamdhulillah! :)

Peace

Jibril
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Technically Christians should be aligned with anyone against the communists, who are public enemy #1 according to Christians in a religious sense. The only countries where Christians have not been allowed to practice their religion have been communist countries. :thumbs_do
I also think we should devide every military force by religion. Also sepererate units for agnostics and atheists. After all we can't expect people of different faiths to have a joint cause or work together. :rant: :mad:
Ironically, you fail to realize that my statement promotes cooperation of different faiths in a "shared goal". As I said, Muslims should align themselves with *anyone* (regardless of religion) against communist entities who would seek to destroy religion or prevent its practice. I just layed out a shared goal between people of different faiths.

Having joint causes is well and good. But I see no joint causes to be had with ideologies that would deny me a right to believe in God. Being atheist is 1 thing,..but the soviet union and other extreme marxist countries were/are not only atheists they were/are rabid anti-deists who prevented people from practicing religion. So Muslims and Christians would have a shared goal in preventing as many such countries from existing.

wilberhum
02-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Ironically, you fail to realize that what you propose is special treatment for Muslims. For me, I prefer equality.

Jibril
02-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Ironically, you fail to realize that what you propose is special treatment for Muslims. For me, I prefer equality.
Exactly how does what I said propose "special treatement"? I really don't know where that came from.:rolleyes: Muslim countries looking out for Muslim interests is called common sense.

wilberhum
02-12-2007, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jibril
Exactly how does what I said propose "special treatement"? I really don't know where that came from.:rolleyes: Muslim countries looking out for Muslim interests is called common sense.
Christian countries looking out for Christian interest makes sense.

Jibril
02-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Christian countries looking out for Christian interest makes sense.
Thats fine i'm not arguing that.

I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing about. Perhaps you're hypersentitive when it comes to organized religion.

north_malaysian
02-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Our government spent millions of dollar islamising the Koreans... seems it's getting fruitful.

Next target - North Koreans....:p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.