PDA

View Full Version : The Islaamic Ruling on Horoscopes

Far7an
04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
The Islaamic Ruling on Horoscopes
By al-Hidaayah Publications

In the Name of Allaah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Ramatullah Wabarakatuh Brothers and Sisters in Islam,

Not only is the practice of astrology is Haraam, but also visiting an astrologer and listening to his predictions, buying books on astrology or reading one's horoscope are also forbidden. Since astrology is mainly used to predicting the future, those who practice it are considered fortunetellers. Consequently, one who seeks his horoscope comes under the ruling contained in the Prophet's sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam statement: 'The Salaah (daily prayer) of whoever approaches a fortuneteller and asks him about anything will not be accepted for forty days and nights.' [Saheeh Muslim vol.4,p. 1211, no 5440]

The punishment in this hadith is simply for approaching the asking the astrologer, even if one is in doubt about the truth of his statements. If one is in doubt about the truth or falsehood of astrological information, he is in doubt about whether or not others know the unseen and the future besides Allaah. This is a form of shirk because Allaah clearly stated:

"And with Him are the keys tot he ghayb [all that is hidden], none knows them but He and He knows whatever there is in [or on) the earth and the sea; not a leaf falls, but the knows it. There is not a grain in darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or day, but is written in a clear record." [6:59]

"Say: None in the heavens and the earth knows the ghaby (unseen) except Allaah, nor can they perceive when they shall be resurrected." [27:65]

If, however, one believes in the predictions of their horoscope, whether spoken by an astrologer or written in books of astrology, he falls directly into kufr (disbelief) as stated by the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam: 'Whoever approaches an oracle or fortuneteller and believes in what was revealed to Muhammad.' [Sunan Abu Dawood vol.3, p.1095, no.3895]

Like the previous Hadith, the Hadith literally refers to the fortuneteller but it is just as applicable to the astrologer. Both claim knowledge of the future. The astrologer's claim is just as opposed to the Tawheed as the ordinary fortuneteller. He claims that people's personalities are determined by the starts, and their future actions and the events of their lives are written in the starts. The ordinary fortuneteller claims that the formation of tea leaves at the bottom of a cup, or lines in a palm tell him the same thing. In both cases individuals claim the ability to read in the physical formation of created objects knowledge of the unseen.

Belief in astrology and the casting of horoscopes are in clear opposition to the letter and spirit of Islaam. It is really the empty soul, which has not tasted real eemaan (belief) that seeks out these paths. Essentially these paths, represents a vain attempt to escape Qadr (fate). The ignorant believe that if they know what is in store for them tomorrow, they can prepare from today. In that way, they may avoid the bad and ensure the good. Yet, Allaah's messenger was told by Allaah to say:

"Say (O Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam): ' I possess no power over benefit or hurt to myself except as Allaah wills. If I had the knowledge of the ghayb (unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touch me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings unto people who believe." [7:188]

True Muslims are therefore obliged to stay far away from these areas. Thus, rings, chains, etc., which have the signs of the zodiac on them should not be worn, even if one does not believe in them. They are part and parcel of a fabricated system which propagates kufr and should be done away with entirely. No believing Muslim should attempt to guess his sign. Nor should he or she read horoscope columns in newspaper or listen to them read. And, any Muslim who allows astrological predictions to determine his actions, should seek Allaah's forgiveness and renew his Islaam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MetSudaisTwice
04-27-2005, 12:19 PM
jazakallah bro, i hope that advises people not to read horoscopes that can be misleading

Ra`eesah
04-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Jazakallah. I always had a question about that, lots of Muslims read their Horoscopes. not knowing its Shirk. May Allah protect us.

~ameen~

aamirsaab
04-28-2005, 08:31 AM
the horoscopes are so vague - 'you will encounter an old friend to day at school' well duh!

I read one once (similar to the above one). didnt believe it at all cus it was soooo vague it could have applied to absolutley anyone. Now when i look at them i just point out and laugh at their stupidity - i dont know how anyone can believe these horoscopes! i just like taking the mick out of them - way more fun.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Akhira
04-28-2005, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 3washey
Assalamu'Alaykum

Jazakallah. I always had a question about that, lots of Muslims read their Horoscopes. not knowing its Shirk. May Allah protect us.

~ameen~
Ameen

Khayal
01-04-2006, 08:19 PM
The Islamic Ruling on Horoscopes
By: Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilaal Philips
Source: As-Sahwah.com

Not only is the practice of astrology Haraam as mentioned earlier, but also visiting an astrologist and listening to his predictions, buying books on astrology or reading one's horoscope are also forbidden!

Since astrology is mainly used for predicting the future, those who practice it are considered fortune-tellers. Consequently, one who seeks his horoscope comes under the ruling contained in the Prophet's statement: "The Salaah (daily prayer) of whoever approaches a fortune-teller and asks him about anything will not be accepted for forty days and nights." [Reported by Hafsah and collected by Muslim ( Sahih Muslim (English Trans.), vol. 4, p. 1211, no. 5440).]

As was mentioned in the previous chapter, the punishment in this Hadeeth is simply for approaching and asking the astrologist, even if one is in doubt about the truth of his statements. If one is in doubt about the truth or falsehood of astrological information, he is in doubt about whether or not others know the unseen and the future besides Allaah. This is a form of Shirk because Allaah has clearly stated:

"With Him are the keys to the unseen and none knows it except Him" [Soorah al-An`aa,m 6:59 ]

"Say: None in the heavens or earth knows the unseen except Allaah." [Soorah an-Naml 27:65]

If, however, one believes in the predictions of their horoscope, whether spoken by an astrologist or written in books of astrology, he falls directly into Kufr (disbelief) as stated by the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) "Whoever approaches an oracle or fortune-teller and believes in what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad." [Reported by Abu Hurayrah and collected by Ahmad and Abu Daawood ( Sunan Abu Dawud (English Trans.), vol. 3, p. 1095, no. 3895).]

Like the previous Hadeeth , this Hadeeth literally refers to the fortune-teller but it is just as applicable to the astrologist. Both claim knowledge of the future. The astrologist's claim is just as opposed to Tawheed as the ordinary fortune-teller. He claims that people's personalities are determined by the stars, and their future actions and the events of their lives are written in the stars. The ordinary fortune-teller claims that the formation of tea leaves at the bottom of a cup, or lines in a palm tell him the same thing. In both cases individuals claim the ability to read in the physical formation of created objects knowledge of the unseen.

Belief in astrology and the casting of horoscopes are in clear opposition to the letter and spirit of Islaam. It is really the empty soul, which has not tasted real Eemaan (belief) that seeks out these paths. Essentially these paths, represent a vain attempt to escape Qadar (fate). The ignorant believe that if they know what is in store for them tomorrow, they can prepare from today. In that way they may avoid the bad and ensure the good. Yet, Allaah's messenger was told by Allaah to say:

"If I knew the unseen, I would surely have only sought the good. But, I am only a warner and a bearer of glad tidings for believers." [Soorah al-A`raaf 7:188]

True Muslims are therefore obliged to stay far away from these areas. Thus, rings, chains, etc., which have the signs of the Zodiac on them should not be worn, even if one does not believe in them. They are part and parcel of a fabricated system which propagates Kufr and should be done away with entirely. No believing Muslim should ask another what his sign is, or attempt to guess his sign. Nor should he or she read horoscope columns in newspapers or listen to them read. And, any Muslim who allows astrological predictions to determine his actions, should seek Allaah's forgiveness and renew his Islaam.

bluff master
01-04-2006, 08:25 PM
ooooooopppppppppssssssssssssssssss................ ....... i never knew it was haram. I know some bit things about horosocpe n things. i promise i will not look at those things again.

thanks Bello.

DaSangarTalib
02-02-2006, 07:10 PM
:sl:

The Islaamic Ruling on Horoscopes

By al-Hidaayah Publications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Name of Allaah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Not only is the practice of astrology is Haraam, but also visiting an astrologer and listening to his predictions, buying books on astrology or reading one's horoscope are also forbidden. Since astrology is mainly used to predicting the future, those who practice it are considered fortunetellers. Consequently, one who seeks his horoscope comes under the ruling contained in the Prophet's sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam statement: 'The Salaah (daily prayer) of whoever approaches a fortuneteller and asks him about anything will not be accepted for forty days and nights.' [Saheeh Muslim vol.4,p. 1211, no 5440]

The punishment in this hadith is simply for approaching the asking the astrologer, even if one is in doubt about the truth of his statements. If one is in doubt about the truth or falsehood of astrological information, he is in doubt about whether or not others know the unseen and the future besides Allaah. This is a form of shirk because Allaah clearly stated:

"And with Him are the keys tot he ghayb [all that is hidden], none knows them but He and He knows whatever there is in [or on) the earth and the sea; not a leaf falls, but the knows it. There is not a grain in darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or day, but is written in a clear record." [6:59]

"Say: None in the heavens and the earth knows the ghaby (unseen) except Allaah, nor can they perceive when they shall be resurrected." [27:65]

If, however, one believes in the predictions of their horoscope, whether spoken by an astrologer or written in books of astrology, he falls directly into kufr (disbelief) as stated by the Prophet sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam: 'Whoever approaches an oracle or fortuneteller and believes in what was revealed to Muhammad.' [Sunan Abu Dawood vol.3, p.1095, no.3895]

Like the previous Hadith, the Hadith literally refers to the fortuneteller but it is just as applicable to the astrologer. Both claim knowledge of the future. The astrologer's claim is just as opposed to the Tawheed as the ordinary fortuneteller. He claims that people's personalities are determined by the starts, and their future actions and the events of their lives are written in the starts. The ordinary fortuneteller claims that the formation of tea leaves at the bottom of a cup, or lines in a palm tell him the same thing. In both cases individuals claim the ability to read in the physical formation of created objects knowledge of the unseen.

Belief in astrology and the casting of horoscopes are in clear opposition to the letter and spirit of Islaam. It is really the empty soul, which has not tasted real eemaan (belief) that seeks out these paths. Essentially these paths, represents a vain attempt to escape Qadr (fate). The ignorant believe that if they know what is in store for them tomorrow, they can prepare from today. In that way, they may avoid the bad and ensure the good. Yet, Allaah's messenger was told by Allaah to say:

"Say (O Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam): ' I possess no power over benefit or hurt to myself except as Allaah wills. If I had the knowledge of the ghayb (unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touch me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings unto people who believe." [7:188]

True Muslims are therefore obliged to stay far away from these areas. Thus, rings, chains, etc., which have the signs of the zodiac on them should not be worn, even if one does not believe in them. They are part and parcel of a fabricated system which propagates kufr and should be done away with entirely. No believing Muslim should attempt to guess his sign. Nor should he or she read horoscope columns in newspaper or listen to them read. And, any Muslim who allows astrological predictions to determine his actions, should seek Allaah's forgiveness and renew his Islaam.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Publication of Al-Hidaayah Foundation
hidaayah@slt.lk
http://www.hidaayah.org

:w:

Iconoclast
09-17-2006, 05:36 PM
:salamext:

Dear brothers and sisters in Islam, as time goes we become to used to things that we consider ( if we do that is ) as small sin or little fun and that then becomes a habit and later an addiction.
what i would like to mention is to avoid reading the horoscope which is delivered to our homes in the form of newspaper and it is usually in the fun section of the news paper and we just ponder over it and even if for 1 second believe in it we loose a part of our faith.
Anyone who claims to know the Ghaib is competing with Allah (asthgfirullah) and people reading have a great loss and people beliving it performing shirk.
as Allah AzzawaJal mentions
"Say None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghaib (unseen) except Allah" Sadakallah ul Azeem
Holy Quran
Al Naml 27:65

And the messenger SAW in this matter as reported by imam Muslim RA in the book of salutations in the chapter forbiddance of fortune telling and visiting fortunetellers (2230) says "whoever went to a soothsayer and asked him something, his prayers will not be answered for forty days and if he believed in what he said, then he would be a disbeliever, because he believed that he had knowledge on the unseen, so he would have belied Allah, the most high:"Say None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghaib (unseen) except Allah"Holy Quran
Al Naml 27:65

May Allah make our faith strong and we start our days with salat il Fajar
( morning prayers ) and think that every breath we inhale and exhale might be our last this making us stronger to face life as it comes .

------
10-10-2006, 12:50 PM
:salamext:

Fortune Telling - HARAAM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Salaah of whoever approaches a diviner (fortune-teller) and asks him about anything will not be accepted for 40 days and nights." (Muslim)

Sahih Muslim, Book 26, Hadith 5540

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allah Almighty also says: “(He is) the knower of the Unseen, and He revealeth unto none His secret, save unto every messenger whom he hath chosen, and then He maketh a guard to go before him and a guard behind him That He may know that they have indeed conveyed the messages of their Lord. He surroundeth all their doings, and He keepeth count of all things.”

(Al-Jinn: 26-28)

"Whoever visited a soothsayer and believed in his words has denied the Revelation to Muhammad (i.e., the Qur'an)

Musnad Ahmad (Hadith)

The Messenger of Allah p.b.u.h. said: Anyone who goes to a fortune teller or a soothsayer and believes in what he says has, in fact, disbelieved in what has been revealed to Muhammad p.b.u.h.

(Reported by Imam Ahmad)

It is reported on the authority of Abu Hurairah (ra ) that the Prophet (saas ) said:
"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and believed in what he said, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad."

That the Hadith is clear evidence that fortune-telling is kufr; this is because the fortune-teller depends upon methods of shirk.

'Say: 'None in the Heaven and the Earth knows the Ghaib (unseen) except Allah, nor can they perceive when they shall be resurrected.'

(Qur’an 27: 65).

Fortune-telling is considered 'Shirk Akbar' (the major and serious form of
polytheism) for a reason. It implies the acquisition of knowledge of
the Unseen, which is unique to Allah, (alone).

:wasalamex

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Not to mention that it is Shirk:

Kitaab At-Tawheed, Chapter: 27
What Has Been Said About At-Tanjeem 1

Bukhari narrates in his Saheeh, that Qatadah said:
"Allah created these stars for three reasons: (i) To adorn the heaven, (ii) as missiles against the devils and (ii) as signs by which (the traveller) may be guided; and so whoever claims more than this for them has is emoneous and has lost his reward (on the Day of Resurrection) and taken upon himself that of which he has no knowledge."
In this narration, Qatadah informs us that Allah (swt ), Most High, Created the stars for only three things: The first, to beautify the night sky; the second, as projectiles against the devils who approach the lowest heaven in order to overhear the angels speaking of the Commandments of Allah (swt ) which they then attempt to convey to the fortune-tellers and soothsayers; 2 and the third, as guidance for the wayfarer at night, whether on land or at sea. He (saas ) added that anyone who claims more than this for the stars such as the claims of astrologers, that the positions of the stars and planets exert an influence on our daily lives, is acting out of ignorance, and will receive no reward from Allah (swt ) on the Day of Judgement and has gone astray from the Straight Path.

Benefits Derived From This Narration
1. The wisdom of creating the stars.
2. The falseness of the claims of those who say otherwise.
3. The forbiddance of belief in astrology.
4. The punishment prescribed for those who practice or believe in astrology.
Relevance of This Narration to the Subject of the Chapter

That it informs us of the view of Qatadah concerning astrology, that it is false and forbidden.
Relevance of This Narration to the Subject of Tawheed

That Qatadah rejected that which the astrologers claim concerning the stars and knowledge of the unseen because it is an act of Shirk to claim knowledge of the unseen; as such knowledge is only with Allah (swt ).
Harb informs us that while Qatadah disliked the studying of the lunar phases, Ibn `Uyainah forbade it, and Ahmad and Ishaq permitted it.

Important Note

(a) Study of the stars is of three kinds: (i) That which is kufr, and that is the belief that the heavenly bodies themselves decide the events of our daily lives. (ii) The belief that events may be predicted by studying the courses and relative positions of the stars and planets which they claim is by Allah's Ordainment and His Will and there is no doubt of the forbiddance of this nor of its being a form of Shirk. (iii) The study of the stars and the planets in order to have knowledge of their cycles for the purpose of aiding travellers in order to know the direction of the Qiblah 3 and to know the time and season and this is permissible.

(b) The suggestion that Allah's Words:
" And marks and signs; and by the stars they are guided" (Qur'an 16:16)
Are an indication that astrology is permissible is totally false and baseless, because its forbiddance has been reported in many authentic Ahadith and therefore, it is clear that the meaning of this verse is not as the ignorant and misguided have claimed, but that Allah (swt ) has placed in the earth many natural sign-posts such as mountains, valleys, rivers, trees, rocks, etc.; and in the heaven stars to help the traveller find his way and that we may know the time and the season.

..ooOOoo..

It is reported on the authority of Abu Moosa (ra ), that he said: "Allah's Messenger (saas ) said:
"There are three who will not enter Paradise: (i) The habitual wine drinker, (ii) the one who cuts family ties and (iii) the one who believes in sorcery."
The Messenger of Allah (saas ) informs us in this Hadith that there are three categories of people who will not enter Paradise because of the major sins which they committed, all of which are harmful to themselves and to the whole community: The first of them is the alcoholic because when he is under the influence of alcohol, his rationality and his inhibitions depart and he is likely to commit any number of sins. The second is the one who breaks family ties, because in so doing he causes strife, division and enmity between members of his family - the result of this may be the breakdown of the family unit which is the basis of a healthy society. The third is the one who believes in sorcery which includes fortune-telling, astrology, palm-reading etc., because this leads to cheating, fraud and deception for the purpose of stealing the money of the innocent and the gullible.

Benefits Derived From This Hadith
1. The prohibition of alcoholic drinks.
2. The obligation to maintain family ties.
3. The forbiddance of belief in sorcery.
Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of the Chapter

That it proves that it is forbidden to believe in all kinds of sorcery, including astrology.

Relevance of This Hadith to the Subject of Tawheed

That the Hadith forbidsbelief in sorcery, including astrology, because belief in astrology necessitates the belief that someone other than Allah (swt ) possesses knowledge of the unseen and such a belief is Shirk.

Footnotes

1. At-Tanjeem: Astrology.

2. This refers to meteorites, not stars, which are referred to in Arabic also as stars, as indeed they are in English (shooting stars, falling stars).

3. Qiblah: The direction towards which we face when we pray i.e. the K'abah in Makkah.

Kitaab At-Tawheed, Chapter: 24
What Has Been Said About Fortune-tellers and Their Like

Muslim has narrated, on the authority of one of the wives of the Prophet (saas ) (Hafsah - may Allah be pleased with her), that Allah's Prophet (saas ) said:
"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and asked him about some matter (i.e. of the unseen) and believed him, will have his prayer rejected for forty days."
The Prophet (saas ) informs us in this Hadith that if anyone visited a fortune-teller and asked him about a matter of the unseen - about which, in reality, none possesses knowledge except Allah (swt ) - and believed in what fortune teller said, Allah (swt ) will not accept his prayers, nor reward them for forty days - and this is a punishment for the major sin which he has committed.

<B>Benefits Derived From This Hadith
</B>1. The prohibition of fortune-telling.
2. The forbiddance of believing the prophesies of soothsayers and fortune-tellers.
3. That a person may lose the reward of his prayers as a punishment for his sins.

That the Hadith proves the forbiddance of fortune-telling and the belief in it.

That the Prophet (saas ) has condemned whoever visits a fortune-teller for he has made him a partner with Allah (swt ) in possessing knowledge of the unseen.
Important Note
It has been mentioned by the scholars - may Allah (swt ) have mercy on them - that whoever believed in what the fortune-teller says does not have to repeat his prayers for this period of forty days, but that he receives no reward for them.

..ooOOoo..

It is reported on the authority of Abu Hurairah (ra ) that the Prophet (saas ) said:
"Whoever went to a fortune-teller and believed in what he said, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad."
The Prophet (saas ) informs us in this Hadith, that whoever visited a fortune-teller and asked him about the unseen and believed in his words, has committed an act of disbelief in the Qur'an and Sunnah, this is because both of these Revelations have belied fortune-telling, for Allah (swt ) is Alone in His Knowledge of the unseen.

1. The forbiddance of fortune-telling.
2. The accusation of lying against the fortune-teller.
3. That believing the words of fortune-tellers is considered disbelief.1
4. That the Qur'an is revealed, not created.

That the Hadith proves clearly that the fortune-teller is a disbeliever.
That the Hadith is clear evidence that fortune-telling is kufr; this is because the fortune-teller depends upon methods of shirk.
The same thing was narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah by "the four"2 and by Al-Haakim, who said that it is authentic according to the strict conditions of acceptance laid down by Bukhari and Muslim.
It has also been reported, with a good sanad, on the authority of Abu Y'alaa (ra ) that he said the same thing, but in a mawqoof form.3

..ooOOoo..

On the authority of `Imran Ibn Husain (ra ), in a marfoo' form, it is reported:

"Whoever practises at-tiyarah, or tells fortunes or seeks advice from a fortune-teller, or practises magic or asks another to do so, is not one of us; and whoever goes to a soothsayer and believes what he tells him has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad."

(Narrated by Al-Bazzaar, with a good Sanad and by At-Tabarani, in his book, Al-Awsat, with a good sanad, but without the words: "...and whoever goes to a soothsayer etc...")

In this Hadith, the Prophet (saas ) declares himself free and innocent of three kinds of people: (i) The one who seeks omens or their interpretation, (ii) the one who tells fortunes or seeks advice from fortune-tellers and (iii) the one who practises magic, or seeks the services of a magician. Then He (saas ) adds, as an extra warning to the fortune-teller and his clients, that whoever believes in the words of the fortune-teller has disbelieved in the Revelation (the Qur'an and the Sunnah) given to him (saas ); this is because Allah and His Messenger (saas ) have informed us that knowledge of the unseen is only with Allah (swt ), therefore belief in the fortune-teller is a rejection of Allah's Words and those of His Prophet (saas ).

1. The prohibition of interpreting omens, of sorcery and fortune-telling.
2. The forbiddance of seeking these three things.
3. That believing the prophesies of the fortune-teller is kufr.
4. That the Qur'an is Revelation, not created.

That the Hadith proves without doubt, that the fortune-teller is a disbeliever.

That the Hadith proves without question, that the fortune-teller is a disbeliever, because he depends upon shirk in order to predict the future.
Muhammad Ibn `Abdil Wahhab says: "Al-Baghawi said: "The seer (al-'arraaf) who claims to know the unseen depends upon knowledge stolen (by the jinn, who overheard it from the lowest heaven) and falsehood and the like; It has been said that he is the same as the fortune-teller (al-kaahin), but the latter is, in fact, one who claims knowledge of the unseen events of the future. It has also been said that he is one who knows the secrets of the mind." Abul `Abbas Ibn Taimiyah said: "The seer is a name for the fortune-teller, the astrologer, the thrower of sand, and all those who claim knowledge of these matters by such means." Ibn `Abbas (ra ) said, concerning a people who wrote Abaajaad 4 and practised astrology: "I do not consider that those who do this will have any share (of blessings or reward) with Allah (swt )."

Footnotes

1. It has been said by some scholars, based upon this Hadith, that one who believes the prophecies of a fortune-teller is a disbeliever. However, other scholars maintain that what is intended here is that he who believes the words of a fortune-teller has committed an act of disbelief. This is because, in the previous Hadith, the Prophet (saas) informed us that one who visits a fortune-teller and believes in what he says will have his prayers rejected for forty days, while if it were true that he were a disbeliever, his prayer would not be accepted at all.

2. The Four: That is, Bukhari, Muslim, At-Tirmizi and An-Nasaa`i.

3. Mawqoof: That is, the statement of a Companion, which he does not attribute to the Prophet (saas).

4. Abaajaad: An ancient system of prediction based on use of the letters of the alphabet.
Also see:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...1-chap-28.html

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...1-chap-26.html

mujahida3001
01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Abu Ameenah Bilaal Philips

Not only is the practice of astrology Haraam as mentioned earlier, but also visiting an astrologist and listening to his predictions, buying books on astrology or reading one’s horoscope are also forbidden! Since astrology is mainly used for predicting the future, those who practice it are considered fortune-tellers. Consequently, one who seeks his horoscope comes under the ruling contained in the Prophet’s statement: "The Salaah (daily prayer) of whoever approaches a fortune-teller and asks him about anything will not be accepted for forty days and nights." [Reported by Hafsah and collected by Muslim (Sahih Muslim (English Trans.), vol. 4, p. 1211, no. 5440).]

As was mentioned in the previous chapter, the punishment in this Hadeeth is simply for approaching and asking the astrologist, even if one is in doubt about the truth of his statements. If one is in doubt about the truth or falsehood of astrological information, he is in doubt about whether or not others know the unseen and the future besides Allaah. This is a form of Shirk because Allaah has clearly stated:

"With Him are the keys to the unseen and none knows it except Him" [Soorah al-An`aa,m 6:59]

"Say: None in the heavens or earth knows the unseen except Allaah." [Soorah an-Naml 27:65]

If, however, one believes in the predictions of their horoscope, whether spoken by an astrologist or written in books of astrology, he falls directly into Kufr (disbelief) as stated by the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) "Whoever approaches an oracle or fortune-teller and believes in what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammad." [Reported by Abu Hurayrah and collected by Ahmad and Abu Daawood (Sunan Abu Dawud (English Trans.), vol. 3, p. 1095, no. 3895).]

Like the previous Hadeeth, this Hadeeth literally refers to the fortune-teller but it is just as applicable to the astrologist. Both claim knowledge of the future. The astrologist’s claim is just as opposed to Tawheed as the ordinary fortune-teller. He claims that people’s personalities are determined by the stars, and their future actions and the events of their lives are written in the stars. The ordinary fortune-teller claims that the formation of tea leaves at the bottom of a cup, or lines in a palm tell him the same thing. In both cases individuals claim the ability to read in the physical formation of created objects knowledge of the unseen.

Belief in astrology and the casting of horoscopes are in clear opposition to the letter and spirit of Islaam. It is really the empty soul, which has not tasted real Eemaan (belief) that seeks out these paths. Essentially these paths, represent a vain attempt to escape Qadar (fate). The ignorant believe that if they know what is in store for them tomorrow, they can prepare from today. In that way they may avoid the bad and ensure the good. Yet, Allaah’s messenger was told by Allaah to say:

"If I knew the unseen, I would surely have only sought the good. But, I am only a warner and a bearer of glad tidings for believers." [Soorah al-A`raaf 7:188]

True Muslims are therefore obliged to stay far away from these areas. Thus, rings, chains, etc., which have the signs of the Zodiac on them should not be worn, even if one does not believe in them. They are part and parcel of a fabricated system which propagates Kufr and should be done away with entirely. No believing Muslim should ask another what his sign is, or attempt to guess his sign. Nor should he or she read horoscope columns in newspapers or listen to them read. And, any Muslim who allows astrological predictions to determine his actions, should seek Allaah’s forgiveness and renew his Islaam.

Khayal
01-17-2007, 01:08 AM

JazaakAllah khayr Brother for this posting.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Astaghfirullah, some people in my family do this. I mean read it. Even though they say its for fun. Jazak Allah Khair for sharing.

NobleMuslimUK
01-17-2007, 01:55 AM
Please refrain yourselves from even reading these lies, as it creates a type of curiosity which leads to doubt. Remember the hardest thing for the devil is to get you to read them, once you start reading them even for fun you leave yourself fully vulnerable.

It has been narrated by Hadhrat Abu Bakr RA that Prophet Mohammed PBUH said "Ascribing partners to Allah SWT in my Ummah is much more hidden than the pace of an ant crawling upon a black stone."
Shirk is a very hidden thing. It enters the heart very silently and very few are saved from it.

Khayal
01-30-2007, 04:58 AM

Jazaak ALLAH khayr..

tresbien
02-07-2007, 07:13 PM
to read horoscopes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:
I know that it is haram to read horoscopes as only ALLAH (swt) knows what the future holds for us and since I have found this out, I have, Alhamdu Lilah, stopped reading my horoscope. Is dream interpretation also haram or is it allowd. I dreamt that I was kidnapped and then I also dreamt that an aunt of mine who was eating curried crab gave me a hug. The internet has a website on interpretation of dreams and me being kidnapped means that I will be put in an embarrassing situation and the hug from my aunt means that I will lose my lover. Is this true? Can you please comment.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Astrology, horoscopes, superstition and fortune-telling are all actions of jaahiliyyah (ignorance) which Islam came to show as false and to explain that they are shirk, because they involve depending on something other than Allaah and believing that benefit and harm come from something other than Him, and believing the words of fortune-tellers and soothsayers who falsely claim to have knowledge of the unseen in order to cheat people of their money and change their beliefs. The evidence (daleel) for that is the hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood in his Sunan with a saheeh isnaad from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever learns anything of astrology has learned a branch of witchcraft (al-sihr)…” And al-Bazzaar narrated with a jayyid isnaad from ‘Imraan ibn Husayn that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He is not one of us who practises augury or has it done for him, who tells fortunes or has his fortune told, or who practises witchcraft or has that done for him.” Whoever claims to know some matter of the unseen either is a fortune-teller or is acting like a fortune-teller in some sense, because Allaah is the only One Who has knowledge of the unseen. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“Say: ‘None in the heavens and the earth knows the Ghayb (Unseen) except Allaah…’”

[al-Naml 27:65]

My advice to everyone who has anything to do with these matters is to repent to Allaah and ask for His forgiveness, and to depend only on Allaah and to put their trust in Him in all their affairs, whilst following the practical means that are prescribed or permitted in sharee’ah. They should give up these matters of jaahiliyyah, keep away from them and avoid asking the people who practise them or believe what they say, out of obedience to Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and in order to protect his commitment to Islam and his ‘aqeedah (religious belief).

Wearing gold on which Aayat al-Kursiy is engraved or which is in the shape of an eye or hand

Question:
Many people give as a gift a piece of gold on which is engraved Aayat al-Kursiy or the name of Allaah or the phrase “Allaah jalla jalaaluhu”, or another type which is in the form of a hand, eye or heart, or which contains blue beads. My question is: which of these are haraam, and why? What should the Muslim do if he is given such items as a gift?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It is not prescribed to write Aayat al-Kursiy or the name of Allaah on pieces of gold that are to be worn, because that is a kind of disrespect. It may also be an imitation of the Jews and Christians who hang up or wear things that they revere, such as the cross etc.

There is a concession allowing writing names on rings, even if the name includes the name of Allaah, such as Abd-Allaah or ‘Abd al-Rahmaan. Similarly there is nothing wrong with writing useful words on a ring even if they include the name of Allaah, such as al-hamdu Lillah (praise be to Allaah), tawakkaltu ‘ala Allaah (I put my trust in Allaah) etc. Many such reports have been narrated from the Sahaabah and Taabi’een. Some examples have been mentioned in the answer to question no 68805

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was asked: We sell hearts in which the name of Allaah is written, which are bought by Arabs and non-Arabs of every kind. We may tell the Arabs that it is haraam to take them into the toilet. Please advise us on the ruling on selling them.

They replied: Selling jewellery on which the name of Allaah is written is not permissible, unless it is erased from it. A similar question was submitted to the Committee which they answered in Fatwa no. 2077, the text of which is as follows:

We attach with out letter some gold jewellery on which is written the name of Allaah. This jewellery is used by our Muslim women as an adornment only. A while ago our brothers in the Committee for the Enjoining of Virtue and Elimination of Vice (enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil) told us that using this jewellery is haraam, because the name of Allaah is written on it. We tell you that this jewellery is only used by Muslims as an adornment, unlike the women of the Jews and Christians, as the Christians wear jewellery on which there are pictures of the cross and images of idols, and the Jews wear jewellery on which there are pictures of the star of David. We hope that you can explain this issue.

They replied as follows: Since this jewellery has the name of Allaah written on it and is intended for Muslim women to wear around their necks, as Christian women wear a cross and Jewish women wear a star of David, and since things on which the name of Allaah is written may be worn to ward off harm or bring benefits, or for other purposes, and wearing it may expose it to disrespect such as if a person sleeps in it and rolls on top of it, or wears it in places where it is makrooh to take anything in which is written the words of Allaah or the name of Allaah, the committee thinks that it is not permissible to use this jewellery on which the name of Allaah is written, so as to avoid imitation of the Christians and Jews whom the Muslims are forbidden to imitate, and so as to block the means that may lead to evil, and so as to protect the name of Allaah from disrespect, and because of the general meaning of the prohibition on wearing amulets. End quote from Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (13/473)

Secondly:

There is nothing wrong with wearing gold in the shape of a heart, but if it is in the shape of a hand or eye, or it contains blue beads, then it should not be worn, because they wear these things or hang them up in the belief that they ward off the evil eye or bring good luck. Even if a Muslim does not wear them on the basis of such corrupt beliefs, he still should not wear them, because by doing so he is imitating those who wear them for these reasons, and that may lead people to think badly of him, as they will think that he is wearing it to ward off the evil eye. So it is not permissible to wear them in that case. This comes under the heading of wearing amulets, which is forbidden.

Ahmad (17458) narrated from ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir al-Juhani (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever wears an amulet has associated something with Allaah (shirk).” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’.

Ahmad also narrated (17440) that ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever wears an amulet, may Allaah not fulfil his need, and whoever wears a sea-shell, may Allaah not give him peace.” Classed as hasan by Shu’ayb al-Arna’oot in Tahqeeq al-Musnad.

An amulet is something that is worn to ward off the evil eye and protect against disaster.

Al-Khattaabi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: An amulet is a bead that they used to wear in the belief that it could ward off disaster.

Al-Baghawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Amulets are beads that the Arabs used to put on their children to protect them against the evil eye. This was declared false by sharee’ah. See: al-Ta’reefaat al-I’tiqaadiyyah, p. 121.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Sea-shells were taken from the sea and worn to ward off the evil eye. They say that if a person wears this shell he will not be affected by the evil eye or by the jinn.

With regard to the phrase “may Allaah not give him peace” it was said that it means, may Allaah not give him tranquility, and the opposite of tranquillity is anxiety and grief.

And it was said: May Allaah not let him achieve any good, thus he is given the opposite of what he was asking for..

The phrase “has associated something with Allaah (shirk)” refers to major shirk, if he believes that the amulet itself bring benefits or wards off harm without the command of Allaah. Otherwise it is minor shirk.

End quote from al-Qawl al-Mufeed Sharh Kitaab al-Tawheed (1/189).

Whoever is given a gold item of this type should not wear it. He may sell it but he should erase some of its markings before selling it so that it cannot be worn, and has to be melted down and made into something new.

And Allaah knows best.

Umm Yoosuf
02-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Threads Merged.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.