View Full Version : Namaz, in english?

Saud
07-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Hey, I have a question reguarding namaz
Ok I read the few surahs needed in arabic
Al fathia
Attayato lillahe
Allah huma sale

ALl of thos I know but I want to expand my knowledge of surahs I read the translation all the time

but Will my namaz be accepted if I read for example Aytal kursi in english insted of arabic?

I read somewher that language dosent matter its the intention that counts??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
07-15-2005, 02:44 PM
:sl:

no the Quran must be read in arabic
the interpretation takes out its true meaning and beauty

read morehere also :D

Muezzin
07-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Well it'd be kinda weird if the Imam was reading in English and everyone else was reading in German, French, Italian and Swahili :p

Reading in Arabic helps us to conform to our Muslim brotherhood identity :brother:

minaz
07-15-2005, 06:05 PM
It's not only tradition but a must, if you try and change the language you undermine the whole religion. Just look at what's happeend to Christianity even pre King James bible, but very good to debate about it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
07-15-2005, 07:02 PM
If you are a new Muslim, then you may begin reciting your Salah in your language, until your learn arabic surahs.

A great place to learn:
http://www.reciter.org
http://www.islam.com/salat/salatfinal.html

:w:

*angel*
07-15-2005, 07:05 PM
salaam everyone
well wat i think is tht reading surahs in namaaz shud be in english....n reciting other surahs xcluding in namaaz wat i think is tht u can recite in english too...coz wat is the point of recieting in arabic n not knwin the meanin...thts wat i think
wasalaam
fatema

Muezzin
07-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Sis Angel, that's what the translations in all good copies of the Quran are for :)

It should be recited in the original Arabic though, since the more you translate it, the further it gets from the original meaning.

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-16-2005, 12:01 AM
First of all, we should follow Islam according to its sources, not according to our own logic, which may often be flawed.

Secondly, one should learn the meaning of what they are reciting, but that does not mean that they are allowed to recite in another language during Salah, and this is the main reason:
A translation is the words of the translator, not God! If you recited your Salah in english, would you use Yusuf Ali's translation, Pickthall's, Khan-Hilali's etc. ? Would you add the footnotes in while you're reading? Obiously, you are no longer reciting the words selected by God, but instead you are reciting the words selected by human beings to reflect some of the meaning of God's words.

Praying in english implies raising the words of a human being to the status of the words of God, since Muslims have only ever recited the words of God in prayer, they have never recited hadith, tafsir, or translations, all of which are the words of human beings. To recite other than the Qur'an in arabic would simply be shirk.

Lastly, it is permissable for one to make a private supplication ( Du'aa) in any language they choose.

:w:

Yanal
01-16-2009, 05:29 AM
I do not know much of the English prayer part but I do know that you can read the Qalmah when you do wadhu in English as I read it. Here's how it goes : I testify that there is no god but Allah he is one and has no partner and I also testify that Muhammad was his servant and messanger. Note that servent comes before messanger.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.