/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Jesus? Why not Adam, David, Moses or Abraham as God's Son?

alidagreat
02-09-2007, 08:30 AM
I have asked a few of my Christian friends this question and no one can give me a sensible or logical answer. If God was to chose a son (forgive me for saying this) why Jesus? Why not his original creation Adam? Why not Abraham who is given the nickname "God's Friend." The Christian faith or the Christians that I have talked to have failed to explain this question to me.

The most common response i get is that Jesus lived the perfect life. If Jesus lived the perfect life then why was he betrayed and crucified? What constitutes a perfect life? Birth followed by death? Then don't we all live perfect lives in that case? If you guys could give me some feedback I would very much appreciate it.

Asalam Alayakoom

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
brenton
02-09-2007, 11:20 AM
David was called God's son, and so was Israel.

But Jesus wasn't "chosen" as God's son--if you mean divinity. Jesus is God, regardless of whether he came to earth and was called "Jesus" or not.

sudais1
02-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Then how many son's did God have in that case, thats Jesus, David, and Israel. It doesn't befit god to have children or partners. God is all mighty and has no offspring nor family

GreatLoveJesus
02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
^

The term "Son of God" is still used, regardless of "choosing" or "not choosing". If it was supposed to be so lax, then Jesus (AS) would not have been taken down to such a menial term as "Son of God".

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mariam.
02-09-2007, 06:17 PM
"And when Allah will say: O Isa son of Marium! did you say to men, Take me and my mother for two gods besides Allah he will say: Glory be to Thee, it did not befit me that I should say what I had no right to (say); if I had said it, Thou wouldst indeed have known it; Thou knowest what is in my mind, and I do not know what is in Thy mind, surely Thou art the great Knower of the unseen things.
I did not say to them aught save what Thou didst enjoin me with: That serve Allah, my Lord and your Lord, and I was a witness of them so long as I was among them, but when Thou didst cause me to die, Thou wert the watcher over them, and Thou art witness of all things.
If Thou shouldst chastise them, then surely they are Thy servants; and if Thou shouldst forgive them, then surely Thou art the Mighty, the Wise.
Allah will say: This is the day when their truth shall benefit the truthful ones; they shall have gardens beneath which rivers flow to abide in them for ever: Allah is well pleased with them and they are well pleased with Allah; this is the mighty achievement.
Allah's is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and what is in them; and He has power over all things." 5:116-120

brenton
02-09-2007, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreatLoveJesus
^

The term "Son of God" is still used, regardless of "choosing" or "not choosing". If it was supposed to be so lax, then Jesus (AS) would not have been taken down to such a menial term as "Son of God".

"Great Love for Jesus Led me to Islam"

www.lulu.com/content/267651
It is not lax, it is a fully invested symbolic term. Jesus fulfilled the "sonship" according to the Old Testament. But he is part of the Trinity, and we use "Son" in that sense.

God does what God does; it isn't about what God would or would not do.

alidagreat
02-10-2007, 01:00 AM
God Does what God Does? Then what did Jesus do as God? What was his main accomplishment? Dying on the cross for the sins of humanity? So God lived and God died. (forgive me for what im saying Allah) Is this the right concept??

Does not sound like a very powerful God to me, or a God that i would worship. Why would i bow to something that can die? and that is just as fragile as me?

The thought of God dying for the sins of his creation is something that i cannot comprehend. That is my main problem with understanding the Christian faith.

Help me understand

brenton
02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alidagreat
God Does what God Does? Then what did Jesus do as God? What was his main accomplishment? Dying on the cross for the sins of humanity? So God lived and God died. (forgive me for what im saying Allah) Is this the right concept??

Does not sound like a very powerful God to me, or a God that i would worship. Why would i bow to something that can die? and that is just as fragile as me?

The thought of God dying for the sins of his creation is something that i cannot comprehend. That is my main problem with understanding the Christian faith.

Help me understand

I have no way of making you understand. It is not my business to convince anyone of anything. I tell the story, and the Holy Spirit does the work of touching peoples' hearts. God has done everything possible to give us a chance to repent and submit to the way Jesus provided; it is up for people to respond.

alidagreat
02-10-2007, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brenton
I have no way of making you understand. It is not my business to convince anyone of anything. I tell the story, and the Holy Spirit does the work of touching peoples' hearts. God has done everything possible to give us a chance to repent and submit to the way Jesus provided; it is up for people to respond.

Well how can I believe something If i cant understand it? Is Christianity a religion of belief without understanding or questioning? Is the holy spirit the soul? or Gabriel? What exactly is the Holy spirit?

So is Jesus saying bow down to me and beg me for forgiveness from God....As opposed to Allah telling Jesus to bow down to Allah and ask only Allah for forgiveness?

The latter makes MORE SENSE to me and I understand it. That is why Islam is my religion. I don't understand WHY Jesus would tell people that he is the only one that can ask God for forgiveness. If that was the case...would Jesus ask God for forgiveness and blessings or would he just believe that since he is God or God's that he doesn't have to.

duskiness
02-10-2007, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alidagreat
Well how can I believe something If i cant understand it? Is Christianity a religion of belief without understanding or questioning?
Do you understand God?
In any faith there is a place for belief and understanding. For both. Faith is based on belief, and our understanding protects us form fanaticism. We need both.

Is the holy spirit the soul? or Gabriel? What exactly is the Holy spirit?
Holy Spirit is God. Christian theology is A BIT ;) complicated. Gabriel is an angel.
So is Jesus saying bow down to me and beg me for forgiveness from God....As opposed to Allah telling Jesus to bow down to Allah and ask only Allah for forgiveness?
sorry but I don't get what do you mean. We belief Jesus was ALSO God. So yes...we can ask Him to forgive us.

As for God dying on cross- we think that God is so powerful that He humiliated Himself. The Lord of Worlds took human flash, ate, slept, was hungry, scared, suffered and died because He loved us.
To be frank I couldn't believe in God without this. There is always question of suffering. I can't find answer to it, but faith in God that humiliated Himself, went through pain, helps me to stop asking. That is why Christianity is my religion.
Peace.

brenton
02-10-2007, 11:12 PM
^I'll just follow along.

Muhammad
02-10-2007, 11:30 PM
:sl:

Seeing as the original question has been answered, I think we can stop here. We already have a number of threads on the topic of Jesus in Christianity.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.