/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Qur'an question, please help.

RTM
07-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Remember, this Ayat is just an example but I am having difficulty.

I own the "The Quran - a modern english translation" by Majid Fakhry which is widely loved by MANY Muslims. BUT, when I noticed many Ayats, for example is 2.256: “There is no compulsion in religion” I notice that in other translation it is seen as 2:256 but in my addition (please see image below) it doesn't appear to be 2:256 but seems to be 2:258! (please see image below)

What is going on? or have I made a terrible mistake?)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
:sl: The numbering is incorrect in your translation.

I have not seen this translation before, so I cannot say how reliable it is.

For more info on translations, see the following thread:
http://islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=2194
:w:

RTM
07-15-2005, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
:sl: The numbering is incorrect in your translation.

I have not seen this translation before, so I cannot say how reliable it is.

For more info on translations, see the following thread:
http://islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=2194
Many thanks. The translation is widely approved and was recommended by my Imam and is used at Al-Azhar!

Nevertheless, I have sent an email to the publishers asking for a correct edition as their are two by Majid Fakhry:

The Qu'ran: An English Version: Modern English Version L http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...176383-7854048 (mu addition of this is 2005!!!!)

An Interpretation of the Qur'an: English Translation of the Meanings - A Bilingual dition: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...176383-7854048

My Imam is not happy to say the least!

Thanks for the link!

Preacher
07-16-2005, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RTM
Remember, this Ayat is just an example but I am having difficulty.

I own the "The Quran - a modern english translation" by Majid Fakhry which is widely loved by MANY Muslims. BUT, when I noticed many Ayats, for example is 2.256: “There is no compulsion in religion” I notice that in other translation it is seen as 2:256 but in my addition (please see image below) it doesn't appear to be 2:256 but seems to be 2:258! (please see image below)

What is going on? or have I made a terrible mistake?)

:sl:

I suspect it to be a doctored copy, anyway, you need to take your issue to the publisher of that Qur'an that you claim to have. We can't do anything beside advising you to get another authentic translation like of:

Saheeh International
Muhsin Khan
Daryabadi
Pickthall (it is to not beginners)

Preacher

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
RTM
08-12-2005, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Preacher
:sl:

I suspect it to be a doctored copy, anyway, you need to take your issue to the publisher of that Qur'an that you claim to have. We can't do anything beside advising you to get another authentic translation like of:

Saheeh International
Muhsin Khan
Daryabadi
Pickthall (it is to not beginners)

Preacher
Doctored Copy? Clain to have? Please explain, what benefit to I get by lying?

Nevertheless, I have been sent another addition as below and it is correct. An Interpretation of the Qur'an: English Translation of the Meanings - A Bilingual Edition
Fakhry Majid (Translator), Zayid Mahmud (Translator)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.