/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Another Suspect Charged - Terror plot

England
02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Another Suspect Charged
Updated: 20:15, Friday February 09, 2007

A sixth man has been charged with a terror offence following last month's police raids in Birmingham.

West Midlands police said Basiru Gassama will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court in the morning.

The 29 year old, from Birmingham, is accused of withholding information about a potential act of terrorism.

It comes after five men appeared before Westminster magistrates on terror charges earlier in the day.

One - 36-year-old Parviz Khan - is accused of plotting to kidnap and kill a British soldier.

Khan and the four other suspects were remanded in custody.

They were identified in court as Amjad Mahmood, 31, Mohammed Irfan, 30, Zahoor Iqbal, 29, and Hamid Elasmar, 43.

All five face charges under the 2000 and 2006 Terrorism Acts.

The first alleges they conspired to supply equipment for use in committing acts of terrorism.

The second charge states they entered into or became involved in a funding arrangement they knew or had cause to suspect "may be used for the purposes of terrorism".

Mahmood is also accused of failing to disclose information which might have been of "material assistance" in preventing the alleged plot

The five defendants had been taken from Coventry to London earlier in the day.

Three other men arrested in the anti-terror raids on January 31 have been released without charge.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...250760,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
This is good, but one can only expect that someday there will be a plot the authorities cannot stop.

Snowflake
02-10-2007, 09:48 PM
^ agreed - a plot to spread Islamphobia maybe. Not that I'm saying this is the case this time. But you never know what can happen or has happened.

Keltoi
02-10-2007, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
^ agreed - a plot to spread Islamphobia maybe. Not that I'm saying this is the case this time. But you never know what can happen or has happened.
Why not put the blame of "spreading Islamophobia" where it belongs, on Muslims(self-proclaimed), who plot to carry out such attacks?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
02-10-2007, 10:24 PM
salamualikum.
loads of things happen in brummy for crying out lord :cry:
Ma'assalama

deen_2007
02-10-2007, 10:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Why not put the blame of "spreading Islamophobia" where it belongs, on Muslims(self-proclaimed), who plot to carry out such attacks?
:rolleyes: ..........................:thumbs_do

atleast say somthing beneficial if ur going to....

Kittygyal
02-10-2007, 10:29 PM
greetings.
thats so not true dude huh why blame the muslims :uuh:

Keltoi
02-10-2007, 11:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
greetings.
thats so not true dude huh why blame the muslims :uuh:
Why blame the Muslims? Is it not Muslims plotting these attacks? This isn't a conspiracy for crying out loud. I'm not blaming all Muslims obviously, but to pretend there isn't a religious component here is naive at best.

deen_2007
02-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Why blame the Muslims? Is it not Muslims plotting these attacks? This isn't a conspiracy for crying out loud. I'm not blaming all Muslims obviously, but to pretend there isn't a religious component here is naive at best.
:offended:..... :anger: ...... can i ask u somthing? what exactly do u get out of these posts?...........thrill parhaps? ..... tel u what....watch 'ugly betty instead'......it'll give u more thrill then this......:rant:

Cognescenti
02-11-2007, 12:09 AM
I do have a question about the "failure to disclose information charge".

Does that mean upon questioning by authorities or is their a positive legal obligation to alert authorities on one's own volition if one discovers a plot?

I ask because this seems novel to me. In the US, there are statutes about "aiding and abetting" the conviction of a felony by another, but this seems quite different in that simply having knowledge of a planned terrorist act is a crime. I am wondering if this is used a plea-bargain tool?

Though British authorities are being quite aggressive, I cannot see, as an outsider, how anything but proactive police work can possibly work to prevent terrorist acts in Britain. In the US we at least have the hope of intercepting a foreigner trying to enter the US. Given the home grown nature of the 7-7 attacks...I would be interested to see if anyone in this forum can see another way to prevent the next attack in Britain?

BTW guys...the Islamophobia here, Islamophobia there, Islamophobia everywhere refrain is not working. It may be satisfying...but it isn't going to win over hearts and minds. In fact, I have the distinct feeling it is backfiring from a PR standpoint in the US. I realize Europe is different, but it is human nature to get a bit annoyed when one is charged with bigotry..especially if not true....and it cannot reasonably be true in every instance claimed.

From my standpoint, in the medical model, "phobia" implies an irrational fear. In many cases....claimed "Islamophobia" is entirely rational. Subsequent events may prove the fear was unwarranted, but that doesn't mean it wasn't rational at the time.

deen_2007
02-11-2007, 12:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
I would be interested to see if anyone in this forum can see another way to prevent the next attack in Britain?
yep..........

> taking all the troops out of IRAQ (all troops)

> taking all the troops out of Afganistan (all troops)

> Tony Blair apologising to UK public for running after Bush without *thinking* logically.....

> Hold debates with higher Muslim autorities & Muslim brothers & sisters ....in order to understand each others...fears....problems....& solutions

> have a lot of debates......where the priminister attends

> feedbacks from the community (dsnt have to be be muslim feedbacks)...to be actually addressed by the government

..............i think all this might reduce another attack in Great Britain........because i dnt no y.....but i feel those that commit these 'acts'...may have issues which they feel are not 'amendable'.....but i rekon....this is the 1st way to fixing issues........

AND THEN TO TOP IT UP................

> George Bush formaly & publicly apologising to ppl for failing to find 'weapons of mass ditruction'.

Cognescenti
02-11-2007, 01:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
yep..........

> Tony Blair apologising to UK public for running after Bush without *thinking* logically.....

> Hold debates with higher Muslim autorities & Muslim brothers & sisters ....in order to understand each others...fears....problems....& solutions

> feedbacks from the community (dsnt have to be be muslim feedbacks)...to be actually addressed by the government

..............i think all this might reduce another attack in Great Britain........because i dnt no y.....but i feel those that commit these 'acts'...may have issues which they feel are not 'amendable'.....but i rekon....this is the 1st way to fixing issues........

AND THEN TO TOP IT UP................

> George Bush formaly & publicly apologising to ppl for failing to find 'weapons of mass ditruction'.
Deen, Deen, Deen;

I am sorry, my friend, I failed to specify my intent to restrict the conversation to the real world

But, since you brought it up, I do have a question for you...you are all over Keltoi for daring to point out a link between Islam and recent terror acts in Britain....and then only two posts later you propose to end the attacks by dialogue with the muslim community :rolleyes:

Doesn't that seem in the least bit contradictory to you?

Then there are these:

I think there is such a thing....its called Parliament...you know that odd building by the Thames with all the guards and barriers about so that some chap doesn't get a little to heated (say 2000 deg F) in his "discussion"

You don't think every western country wants to leave Afghanistan? What exactly is your plan for security? Hmmm? The status quo ante..the Taliban? The Taliban? Phhht?

Same answer. What is your plan for security? This is the real world. No whining when the US leaves and the brothers begin slaughtering other without supervision.

Yeah...good one. A nation is attacked with concerted terror attacks and you want the PM to apologize.

I realize this is hackneyed, but I can't help myself....why dont you just move somewhere else? :thumbs_do

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.