/* */

PDA

View Full Version : reading islamic books and remembering stuff

AnonymousPoster
02-11-2007, 11:29 AM
:sl:

I love reading Islamic books, alhamdulillah.

But I have one problem, it seems as soon as I finish the book I've already forgotten all the details and only remember some of the general themes etc...:uuh:

The only thing I can really think of to solve the problem is to just read the books again a few times... but the thing is there are so many interesting books out there, that as soon as I finish one I can't wait to start on the next!

Any suggestions about how I can remember more? :?

Jazakumallah khayr.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
02-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Highlight Everything in the book that you didn't know before,

and then teach someone it,

then you will see amazingly the more people you tell about what you learnt from the book,

the more of it you remember,

Try it, InshaAllah,

I don't read books, so when i do, i get the same problem, but i find if i tell someone, usually my sis, about the book it's easier to remmember the next time i need to tell someone or summin,

Also reflect upon the book :D

Hmm..am i even speaking English...

sorry head hurts wait untill someone else comes on :)

AsalamuAlaykum-Peace

AnonymousPoster
02-11-2007, 11:40 AM

Jazakillah khayr sis!

But the books are hundreds of pages long, I'll probably end up highlighting the whole thing lol, plus I don't want to ruin them...:phew

The talking to someone idea sounds good though! :)

Pk_#2
02-11-2007, 11:44 AM
why would you do that to yourself :muddlehea :muddlehea :muddlehea

can i encourage you to buy shorter books :hiding:

or get someone to read it to you, stopping and discussing,

or read it out loud to yourself, stopping and thinking about what you just read, re-reading parts you totally did not understand :)

But highlightings cool, unless you highlight the whole book :X

AsalamuAlaykum.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
seeker_of_ilm
02-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Don't just READ a book, STUDY it. Make notes of what you've learnt, after every few pages. Don't be afraid to read a chapter dozens of times, until you've grasped it properly. Keep referring back to the notes. And the advice about telling someone else what you've learnt is good, as you gain reward of teaching someone else, as well as revising what you've learnt. If possible get a friend to read it the same time as you, so you can discuss it as you go along.

And most importantly, make Du'a

:w:

AnonymousPoster
02-11-2007, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
why would you do that to yourself :muddlehea :muddlehea :muddlehea

hehe, I like reading! :shade:

But I just realised for the book 100 pages and less your advice is pretty good! :)

Pk_#2
02-11-2007, 11:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester

hehe, I like reading! :shade:

But I just realised for the book 100 pages and less your advice is pretty good! :)
ok sis

All the best,

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh!

lolwatever
02-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Jazakillah khayr sis!

But the books are hundreds of pages long, I'll probably end up highlighting the whole thing lol, plus I don't want to ruin them...:phew

The talking to someone idea sounds good though! :)
write notes! :D just dot points and page references and ur memory will sparkle inshalah

AnonymousPoster
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM

But writing notes ruins the whole book-reading experience... imsad

Oh, I guess I just need to stop being lazy.:hiding:

lolwatever
02-11-2007, 12:40 PM

But writing notes ruins the whole book-reading experience... imsad

Oh, I guess I just need to stop being lazy.:hiding:
well there's a diff between reading a science book for pleasure and reading it to prepare for exam innit :)

wat u could do is read the book once for "fun" purposes.. and then re-read and write down short notes or page refs..

u dont necessarily hav to write 10 page sumaries... even one dot point per every so and so pages is good enough... with a page ref next to it.

all the best!

AnonymousPoster
02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
well there's a diff between reading a science book for pleasure and reading it to prepare for exam innit :)

Wow, mashaallah that is so true!:uuh:

Thanks for that, jazakallah khayr.

Sabbir_1
02-11-2007, 02:29 PM

But I have one problem, it seems as soon as I finish the book I've already forgotten all the details and only remember some of the general themes etc...

The only thing I can really think of to solve the problem is to just read the books again a few times... but the thing is there are so many interesting books out there, that as soon as I finish one I can't wait to start on the next!

Any suggestions about how I can remember more?
I understand what you trying to say, i used to read a lot of islamic books when i was younger and i used to rememebr most of the stuff, but now when i get older i cant seem to rememebr most of the stuff... . i think its up to you.. you remember how much you want to. remember..

I remember more stuff by listening to lectures. try to listen to lectures. by your favourite speaker..

zaki.aumeerudy
02-11-2007, 02:38 PM

But I have one problem, it seems as soon as I finish the book I've already forgotten all the details and only remember some of the general themes etc...:uuh:

Any suggestions about how I can remember more? :?

Jazakumallah khayr.

try ot read a book of forgetfulness
the frogetfulness is due to many causes
1: overwork
2: normal stress
3: mental depression
4: too many sins specially associated with the one of opposite sex
5: sorcery/black magic n others

Umar001
02-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Depends what books your are reading.

There are good books, evil books and neither good and bad as far as I can remember.

I'd advise you to learn/read the basic books for the foundation of the deen, those are the GOOD books maybe one page or so and memorise it.

For example, theres a book named beneficial speech in establishing evidence for tawheed, something like tha, the chapters are short you can do one chapter a day memorise the proofs i.e. Surah 22:62 and 47:19 for the first chapter and memorise the short text.

Then on top of that you can read books which interest you like if you like science of Hadith you can read that in your spare time.

zaki.aumeerudy
02-11-2007, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zaki.aumeerudy
try ot read a book of forgetfulness
the frogetfulness is due to many causes
1: overwork
2: normal stress
3: mental depression
4: too many sins specially associated with the one of opposite sex
5: sorcery/black magic n others
u may also read too quickly ,try to discuss the subject u read about on line this insha Allahu azza wa jall will help u

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.