/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Giving Zakat to family member

Lone
02-11-2007, 03:38 PM
:sl: to all Brothers and Sisters,

I have a quick question relating to Zakat.

My mothers sister lives abroad and is relatively poor. She is an elderly widow, with three daughters, none of whom work at present. She struggles to keep up with everyday costs such as bills, rent, basic shopping etc. The landlord of the property she lives in has very recently increased the rent sharply, and as a result there is no way she can pay for it by herself.

I would like to help her by sending my annual Zakat payment so that she can pay her rent, but of course the basic question is will this be acceptable and deemed to be legitimate Zakat? Is Zakat allowed from one family member to another? She is not my immediate family, but as I said my mothers elder sister.

I look forward to your reply, jazakallah.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Emperor
02-12-2007, 04:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lone

My mothers sister lives abroad and is relatively poor. She is an elderly widow, with three daughters, none of whom work at present. She struggles to keep up with everyday costs such as bills, rent, basic shopping etc. The landlord of the property she lives in has very recently increased the rent sharply, and as a result there is no way she can pay for it by herself.

I would like to help her by sending my annual Zakat payment so that she can pay her rent, but of course the basic question is will this be acceptable and deemed to be legitimate Zakat? Is Zakat allowed from one family member to another? She is not my immediate family, but as I said my mothers elder sister.

There is no reason why you can't send it. Zakat is for the needy in general and if this includes family, then of course you can send the zakat to them.

Skillganon
02-12-2007, 04:26 AM

Bro I really do not know about Zakat. You should ask the question to www.islam-qa.com.

However I do know it is duty for you to support your mother and look after her anyway you can and make her happy, as much as possible.

Musalmaan
02-12-2007, 06:27 AM

:sl:

brother it is permissible and I heard that it is more praiseworthy and carries more reward to give the near relative etc who are needy (the rightful recipients) than to give some far-relation or unknown people.

Allahhu Alam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
02-12-2007, 06:38 AM

As far as I know, giving zakat to family members is only allowed if they are not under your care. For example, a husband can not give zakat to his wife because:

1. He is already responsible for taking care of her
2. It is as if he is paying his zakat to himself.

But your aunty isn't in your care so inshaallah it should be okay to give to her.

BUT, zakat is meant to be given to people in your own country. If there are needy people entitled to it where you live, they have a greater right over your zakat than someone living overseas. However, if there are no Muslims in your country to give zakat to (though I'm sure there might be...), then it is permissible to give the zakat overseas.

However, if the zakat is needed in that country, then the scholars have a difference in opinion as to whether the zakat can be paid overseas or not.

Imam AsShafi was of the opinion that giving zakat to another country though it is needed in your own county would invalidate the zakat.

The Hanafiyyah, however, were of the opinion that it is permissible provided that it was being paid to close family, otherwise it is not allowed.

God knows best, but I think you should consult a shaykh who you trust, considering that this is a very serious issue (zakat is a pillar of Islam!).

You could also consider giving charity to her instead of zakat if you end up deciding to follow the opinion that it is not permissible.

Lone
02-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Jazakallah to all Brothers and Sisters for their answers.

Malaikah, I live in the UK but my aunty lives in Pakistan. To date I have never given Zakat in this country, I have always sent it abroad because I doubt there are any Muslims here whom Zakat can be payable to. However, I will inshallah do as you say and consult with an Imam or Shaykh. Again, thanks for you're response :)

:w

Emperor
02-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Here, this should help:):

QURAN 2:215. They ask you of what they should give in charity. Tell them: "What you can spare of your wealth as should benefit the parents, the relatives, the orphans, the needy, the wayfarers, for God is not unaware of the good deeds that you do."

Musalmaan
02-13-2007, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

God knows best, but I think you should consult a shaykh who you trust, considering that this is a very serious issue (zakat is a pillar of Islam!).
Alhamdulilah i must say that this is some positive progress in you atleast,
this time

you didnt give the ijtahadi opinion of four Imam of Mujtahideen to choose any 1 of it

OR

giving opinion of the four madhab and to find the strongest opinion of it

OR

suggesting to make a survey by going to different scholars and to wait to see which scholar say something that is already decided to be done

OR

going to different scholars asking for proofs and then to investigate on own about the strongest proof given.

this sometime makes me :D and sometime :(.

bay ilm o adab jis ney liya dars-e-bukhari
aata hay bukhaar us ko bukhari nahi aati

may Allah guide us all.

Lone
02-14-2007, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emperor
Here, this should help:):

QURAN 2:215. They ask you of what they should give in charity. Tell them: "What you can spare of your wealth as should benefit the parents, the relatives, the orphans, the needy, the wayfarers, for God is not unaware of the good deeds that you do."
Many thanks for that quote Emperor :)

Emperor
02-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Many thanks for that quote Emperor :)
You're very welcome:)

I'm glad to help.

peaceman
02-28-2007, 07:38 AM

Dear Lone,

The scholars say that you are allowed to give zakat to relatives, that you don't have an obligation to support. You also get double the rewards, one for giving zakaat, and one for keeping the ties of close relatives, as was said by prophet Muhammed :arabic5:

Note that this is for zakat. For sadaqah, you are allowed to give it to relatives that you are obliged to support as well.

And Allah knows

Lone
02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
I see, thanks for the answer Peaceman :)

wasalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.