/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Money and getting married

AnonymousPoster
02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
:sl:

A brother's got e.g. £100 to spend on a wedding, mahr + walima.

The woman's family wants £100 in mahr alone and so on.

They even suggested taking a loan.

Interest loans are not possible. And the brother does not want to be debt anyway, to a bank or family members.

Should the brother just leaves this proposal if the family won't adhere to his budget.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
02-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Surely, lending money from a family member without interest is better than taking out an interest-based loan. Sometimes, we can't make it on our own and if the brother is serious about marrying the sister then maybe he should consider this option.

AnonymousPoster
02-12-2007, 12:37 AM
His parents would have to borrow money to help him out.

And his relatives aren't that well off either.

Part of the appeal of this woman was that she would be "easy" to marry and her family are compromising. Looks like that may not be true.

If the brother is troubled by debts and is stressed, how would his wife then feel? Don't a lot of marriages/relationships end because of money issues?

The mahr the brother is offering is enough to support her for three months. She's not from a "richer" family, she's from a slightly poorer background compared to the brother.

Skillganon
02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Is this in India or in the UK?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
02-12-2007, 02:54 AM

Can't he pay only part of the mahr upfront, and pay the rest later, when he can afford it? :?

AnonymousPoster
02-12-2007, 04:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Can't he pay only part of the mahr upfront, and pay the rest later, when he can afford it? :?

:w:
Yes he can do that..

AnonymousPoster
02-12-2007, 05:52 PM

That's still a debt though...

Part of the family is treating her like a product, like they are selling her.

S_87
02-13-2007, 02:53 PM

put the marriage on hold and save up some money?

Snowflake
02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
The brother should tell her family of his problems. She won't need the mahr immediately as he'll be supporting her. If they agree to him paying it later, or part of it later then good. But if they insist on it being paid upfront then they are not really v. sensitive to others problems are they?

Umar001
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester

Interest loans are not possible. And the brother does not want to be debt anyway, to a bank or family members.

Should the brother just leaves this proposal if the family won't adhere to his budget.

Pay the mahr with that money!

I dont see what you have to spend on the weding! If they are all islamic they will just have the weding in front of the witnesses in the masjid which will not cost anything insha'Allah.

Then on top of that the Walima can be dates or something just invite a couple of friends and give dates and milk which I think is sufficient.

That should cover all costs, the best walimas are the least expensive.

AnonymousPoster
02-14-2007, 06:14 AM
I dont see what you have to spend on the weding! If they are all islamic they will just have the weding in front of the witnesses in the masjid which will not cost anything insha'Allah..
Brother, i know you are not joking, but in some parts of the world it is not implemented imsad especially in asian culture.

By what you say, marriage seems so affordable but thats not the case everywhere. :'(

p.s. thts not the original poster.

brother_rk
02-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Salam,

I think the brother should remain patient until he can afford a bit more. InshAllah with patience he will either make the extra money to afford the marriage, or he the woman's parents will see it fit to help them out. Either way, beginning a marriage in debt is not a good idea.

Patience and prayers. This is the key :)

...and this is my input.

Salam.

Umar001
02-14-2007, 07:02 PM

Brother, i know you are not joking, but in some parts of the world it is not implemented imsad especially in asian culture.

By what you say, marriage seems so affordable but thats not the case everywhere. :'(

p.s. thts not the original poster.
Lol believe me I know, Im a guy thats gonna get married one day I know all about the rubbish of having a huge hall and so forth.

I hate it, rreally really gets on my nerves.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.