/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Motor Insurance- A Good-thing/bad-thing?

SUMMAYAH
02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
:) What are your views about motor insurance which is compulsary in UK.

Do you think it's a good thing or do you think we should have it like Saudia- where you could buy a massive car and not worry about the cost of insurance....(or fuel, as petrol is cheaper then water there!)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
02-12-2007, 11:29 AM
:sl:

What happens if you crash your car in Saudi?:?

SUMMAYAH
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

What happens if you crash your car in Saudi?:?
It's every man for himself.
the drivers sort it out themselves or if matters cannot be resoved i guess they take it to court.
But at the end of the day it's money from the drivers pocket.

SUMMAYAH
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
If you think about it. Insurance is sort of like gambling.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SUMMAYAH

Do you think it's a good thing or do you think we should have it like Saudia- where you could buy a massive car and not worry about the cost of insurance....(or fuel, as petrol is cheaper then water there!)
You sure about the petrol being cheap? In most of the mid-east countries petrol is very expensive as it has to be imported in. Although there is plenty of crude oil. There are very few refineries to convert it into gasoline and gasoline has to be imported in from western countries.

I just checked. Saudi is one of the few Mid East countries with low gasoline prices. Todays rate is 64 cents per gallon for regular. I forgot they have the worlds largest Gasoline company Aramco.

SUMMAYAH
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You sure about the petrol being cheap? .
I've seen the prices at the pumps with my own eyes

IbnAbdulHakim
02-12-2007, 11:56 AM

i prefer the saudi way!

not only is it cheaper, but it feels more halal (if that makes sense), i always felt dodgy about motor insurance... its mainly because of that word: INSURANCE

Woodrow
02-12-2007, 11:59 AM
I've seen the prices at the pumps with my own eyes
I just edited my post. I was wrong about the gas prices in Saudi. They are currently 64 cents per gallon (16 cents per litre) compared to $2 per gallon here for regular. I forgot Saudi had started producing gasoline with Aramco and is now the worlds largest Gasoline producer.

Woodrow
02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Now getting back to insurance. Here in the US it is not neccessarily insurance that is required. Here in Texas it is quoted as being proof of financial responsibility. So, a wealthy person who can set $100,000 into an escrow account does not need to purchase insurance, he just can't touch the money as long as he remains a driver.

SUMMAYAH
02-12-2007, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
i prefer the saudi way!

not only is it cheaper, but it feels more halal (if that makes sense), i always felt dodgy about motor insurance... its mainly because of that word: INSURANCE
I totally agree.
Many ulama say that because it is compulsary, then only take out a policy for third-party insurance.

Muezzin
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
For Bonzer Car Insurance Deals, you girls should go down to Sheilas Wheels.

:p

taqi
02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I live in the emirates(saudia's neighbouring country),n only in dubai insurance is compulsory, alteast 3rd party insurance were the company is gona only pay 4 one side,n u have 2 pay 4 ur damages.
N 4 those who dont hv insurance n they have made an accident(der mistake),dey get a red paper frm the police,n the other guy jus gets a paper frm the garage 4 his car damages,n he has 2 make the payment..as simple as tht......n the cost of petrol here is 0.99pounds per gallon..:P
n as 4 insurance i dont think its gambeling,its more like u paying 4 security guard outside ur door,n hez responsible 4 any burglary(accident in this case).

deen_2007
02-12-2007, 11:33 PM
omg.........i hate insurance........!!!!! here in the UK ....insurance is compulsory....& the inurance companies are like EATING our money...for what/ ....nothing!!!!..............sometimes its more then the car value!!!! the younger you are...the more u pay! (under 21...the highest).........male insurance is higher then female........thats y when ENGLAND opend a thread b4 about 'if u wer a priminister, what will u change'.....one of the things i said ...was i would definetly change 'insurance policy'.....all the way.......

taqi
02-12-2007, 11:38 PM
apparently der r not as many accidents in uk as in emirates...every 8/10 has been involved in an accident here according to a recent poll,1 person dies on an average on road accidents,ppl dont really mind insurance here,but the ppl who own coupe's r furious,insurance is more if its a coupe,n low if its a sedan..they really dont care how big tht engine is under tht hood,they jus count the doors,n make a policy 4 u...my dad wont be happy wid my comments since he works in a insurance company.

deen_2007
02-12-2007, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by taqi
apparently der r not as many accidents in uk as in emirates...every 8/10 has been involved in an accident here according to a recent poll,1 person dies on an average on road accidents,ppl dont really mind insurance here,but the ppl who own coupe's r furious,insurance is more if its a coupe,n low if its a sedan..they really dont care how big tht engine is under tht hood,they jus count the doors,n make a policy 4 u...my dad wont be happy wid my comments since he works in a insurance company.
really? .......... wel i must say......i do love UK's driving law......its very very strict...hence parhaps we have more sensible drivers. :D ....also i guess ppl fear loosing their liscense....which then could be hard to get back...if you get certain amounts of points...also your insurance 'bonuses'....can get swiped out...with one accident...hence parhaps a lot of ppl drive sensibily...BUT...here in LONDON...i can assure u...dat there are a lot of MAD drivers!!! (like me: 2 a certain extent:p )......& thats wen things go wrong........still i think the insurance companies take too much.........imsad ................

England
02-13-2007, 12:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
omg.........i hate insurance........!!!!! here in the UK ....insurance is compulsory....& the inurance companies are like EATING our money...for what/ ....nothing!!!!..............sometimes its more then the car value!!!! the younger you are...the more u pay! (under 21...the highest).........male insurance is higher then female........thats y when ENGLAND opend a thread b4 about 'if u wer a priminister, what will u change'.....one of the things i said ...was i would definetly change 'insurance policy'.....all the way.......
You can say that again. My first year of insurance was £186 a month :uuh: then it reduced to £134 a month and now with the 2 year no claims and me being 21 I pay £60 a month. I could have bought a brand spanking new car if my insurance stayed in my pocket. I have to admit though, I'm content with insurance. If I smashed my car I'd hate to have to put my hands into my pockets.

deen_2007
02-13-2007, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
You can say that again. My first year of insurance was £186 a month :uuh: then it reduced to £134 a month and now with the 2 year no claims and me being 21 I pay £60 a month. I could have bought a brand spanking new car if my insurance stayed in my pocket. I have to admit though, I'm content with insurance. If I smashed my car I'd hate to have to put my hands into my pockets.
telling me!!........for a old punto...i had to pay £1500....for the year...i was 17 then! :eek: .......now slowly it has gone down!!! ....im 20 now.....& for my 2litre BM im payinf £1000.....not bad i guess.....yep...atleast we dnt hav 2 do anything if the four wheels get smashed....BUT still....look at how much they r talking........:mad: :rant: :mad: :rant: :rant: ..........think about those who never have an accident...the insurance companies r making 100% profit on them.!!!!....n realistically...how many ppl out of 100 have an accident..which is coslt to the insurance company? 2-3 parhaps! :thumbs_do

Woodrow
02-13-2007, 12:36 AM
AHHHH the advantage of age. While I was still driving (2 years ago) my last insurance policy cost $110 (50 GBP) for the year. the advantage of being over 65 years old and having passed 50 years of driving with no reportable accidents or moving vehicle violations.

deen_2007
02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
AHHHH the advantage of age. While I was still driving (2 years ago) my last insurance policy cost $110 (50 GBP) for the year. the advantage of being over 65 years old and having passed 50 years of driving with no reportable accidents or moving vehicle violations.
£50 a year! :ooh: over 50 years of no conviction! ...& over 65 years old! :ace: .......................alhamdullilha

England
02-13-2007, 12:48 AM
I'd be rich if I only had £50 to spend a year on insurance :muddlehea Half of the money that goes to insurance companies should go towards road tax. We have to pay Insurance and then road tax every 6-12 months. They should take half of the insurance company's money towards the road tax. They make enough.... :uuh:

deen_2007
02-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Half of the money that goes to insurance companies should go towards road tax. We have to pay Insurance and then road tax every 6-12 months. They should take half of the insurance company's money towards the road tax. They make enough.... :uuh:
omg.....thats so true...(dnt wory if im ever the priminister, id make sure dat hapens)...............and talking about road tax....i have to pay £170 for the whole year!...then u have to think about MOT.....which is going up every year....just to test nowadays it costs....around £65.......then the petrol/desel.....prices are shooting up...........! oh god......dnt forget....service!.........n yeah.....if u live in LONDON...ders conjestion charge 4 entering central city: £ 8 a day!!!!!

is it just UK...dat makes us do this for our cars?......:mad:

England
02-13-2007, 01:08 AM
omg.....thats so true...(dnt wory if im ever the priminister, id make sure dat hapens)...............and talking about road tax....i have to pay £170 for the whole year!...then u have to think about MOT.....which is going up every year....just to test nowadays it costs....around £65.......then the petrol/desel.....prices are shooting up...........! oh god......dnt forget....service!.........n yeah.....if u live in LONDON...ders conjestion charge 4 entering central city: £ 8 a day!!!!!

I'm glad you mentioned the price of the MOT, I'm due one now :rolleyes: They're trying to drive us off the road due to congestion. They want us using public transport so they're making it too expensive for us to use the car. This is why they're trying to set up this road toll fee for every mile you drive. The government are reacting to the petitions people are signing against this road toll and have said that if the majority of the country oppose it then it will not go ahead.
We don't see the politicians catching public transport do you? Why is it that we have to use public transport while they continue to use their cars? :rolleyes:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ Start a petition on the government's website about anything you feel strongly against. If you get enough signatures you get the publicity, hence Daily mirror reported 1 million signatures to this issue.

deen_2007
02-13-2007, 01:13 AM
I'm glad you mentioned the price of the MOT, I'm due one now :rolleyes: They're trying to drive us off the road due to congestion. They want us using public transport so they're making it too expensive for us to use the car. This is why they're trying to set up this road toll fee for every mile you drive. The government are reacting to the petitions people are signing against this road toll and have said that if the majority of the country oppose it then it will not go ahead.
We don't see the politicians catching public transport do you? Why is it that we have to use public transport while they continue to use their cars? :rolleyes:
OH GOD!! ...not more rules & regulations for driving! like as if we dnt have enough as it is! :rant: :mad: .....regarding the road toll fee...is that just for where your from? OR for the whole country? :rant: ---at them

deen_2007
02-13-2007, 10:18 AM
.......................i wake up this morning.......& guess what my 1st post is about....INSURANCE!!!!........argggg

Malaikah
02-13-2007, 12:54 PM

As far as I know insurance is halal provided that the extra money that the insurance company has left over isn't pocketed by the owner/s, but is used fo rthe cummunity. For example, a car insurance company would put the extra cash into increasing road awareness, building better roads, basically improving road related things. Whereas in health insurance the money must go back to things like hospitals etc.

SUMMAYAH
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM

So basically even if the car is just sitting outside the house doing nothing it's still costing us!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.