/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of life

The Question
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, it is the fundamental question. What is the purpose of life? It is a question I have spent many sleepless nights pondering upon, and still have not been able to come up with a satisfactory answer, even from my own religion (Islam). Thus, I present to the forum my first question.

Yes, we believe that Allah created everything in existance, and has always existed, excluded from having a beginning and an end, and is eternal. We believe that Allah is the All-Powerful, and that he does not need to be entertained, etc - he is always content because he does not need to be entertained, he has everything he ever needs and can never die/feel boredom.

So, why did He create humans? Why did he create the universe? Why create the plants, the animals, the delicate balance of life on Earth? We are, as we know, completely insignificant and powerless compared to Him- so why create us? We understand that He created Adam as the first human being, but why? What was the purpose? Allah did not need him- lets analyse some possible reasons as to why Adam was created:

Entertainment?

Could it have been just to sit and watch what he did on Earth, to relinquish a certain boredom? No, this cannot be- Allah does not get bored, He is Absolute and has everything He needs.

To test us?

This answers the question as to when we actually were created, but not before hand, which is the question in hand.

Out of love?

Yes, we understand that Allah loves us as His creation. Yet this does not answer the question, because once again this answers the question as to when we actually were created, but not before hand, which is the question in hand.

Because He chose to?

Yes, I believe this is the answer which is interpreted by many a scholar. But choosing to do something must certainly come with a purpose, or else it is meaningless, and Allah is certainly not meaningless. And some of the possible purposes I have outlined above, yet none of them answer the question absolutely with the understanding required.

So what is the true purpose of life? Why did Allah really create the universe and the delicate balance of life, when there really was no need to whatsoever? I would like this question to be answered, in order to improve my understanding about my faith. Thank you and peace to all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
:salamext:

Im satisfied with because he chose to, Allah is free of all needs so other then "he wanted to" theres no other reason i can understand.

:)

Kittygyal
02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
salamualikum.
what do you mean by 'he chose to' are you talking about allah suabwhantallah?
Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
02-13-2007, 02:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
what do you mean by 'he chose to' are you talking about allah suabwhantallah?
Ma'assalama
:wasalamex

ye

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Question
02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Yes, I am talking about Allah (swt).

Kittygyal
02-13-2007, 02:49 PM
salaualikum.
ah okay seen, i belive allah suabhwnatallah has set this life for us as a test. This life is NOT enternal!
Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salaualikum.
ah okay seen, i belive allah suabhwnatallah has set this life for us as a test. This life is NOT enternal!
Ma'assalama
you missed the point. his not talking about this life, his talking about the creation, why did Allah even create us in the first place?

Kittygyal
02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
you missed the point. his not talking about this life, his talking about the creation, why did Allah even create us in the first place?
salamualikum.
oh am very sowiee please forgive me inshallah, but 'the question' you have used alot of 'he...' so i got mixed up sowiee.
anywho because allah suabhwnatallah wanted to there's a book on purpose of life anyone read it or seen or even heard it? am sure there's been an article posted about 'purpose of life' :muddlehea but all i can say is now that am here in this duniya i seriously don't know why allah suabwhnatallah has made me, but when i die i will find out but all i can say if allah suabwhnatallah wants to he can by the click of a finger subhnallah!
Ma'assalama

- Qatada -
02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
:wasalamex

There's a good vid which you can view online here God willing, its called the Purpose of Life - by Sheikh Khalid Yasin:

http://harlowmasjid.org/index.html

Hope you enjoy it! :)

Peace.

IbnAbdulHakim
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
:salamext:

nice answer, we'll jus ask Allah swt if we're ever given that priveledge. may Allah save us from hell.

جوري
02-21-2007, 03:56 AM
two verses will sum it

وَمَا خَلَقْنَا السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا لَاعِبِينَ {38}
[Shakir 44:38] And We did not create the heavens and the earth and what is between them in sport.
[Yusufali 44:38] We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, merely in (idle) sport:
[Pickthal 44:38] And We created not the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in play.

مَا خَلَقْنَاهُمَا إِلَّا بِالْحَقِّ وَلَكِنَّ أَكْثَرَهُمْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ {39}
[Shakir 44:39] We did not create them both but with the truth, but most of them do not know.
[Yusufali 44:39] We created them not except for just ends: but most of them do not understand.
[Pickthal 44:39] We created them not save with truth; but most of them know not.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.